As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do Murderers and Rapists Deserve to Be Punished?

VFMVFM regular
edited June 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
EDIT: Important definitions and stipulation at the bottom of this post.

First, some background:

I've been reading the book Moral Politics by George Lakoff, a cognitive linguist. In it, Lakoff examines the cognitive mechanisms that give rise to our politics, and in the process of doing so, examines much of our language. In particular, the way we use language to understand, analyze, and formulate our concepts of morality.

As it turns out, cognitive scientists and linguists have something of a laundry list of the metaphors we use to talk about morality. The reason we use these metaphors is that morality is highly abstract and complex, so we ground our reasoning in metaphors drawn from real experience and physical objects or processes.

One of the most common, pervasive, and persuasive metaphors used is that of Morality as Wealth, in which case we use financial language to describe morality. For example, if I do you a favor, you owe me. If someone saves your life, you ask how you can repay them, you say you're in their debt. Specifically, when talking about criminals, we often talk about paying debts to society, the victims getting what's theirs, etc.

Now, the reason we do this is because wealth is something experiential -- wealth is generally A Good Thing. Wealth is tied directly to well-being by experience. And morality is generally addressed through metaphors drawn from experiential well-being, because morality itself is generally tied to well-being. It can even be described as the promotion of well-being. The reason we use the wealth metaphor has really nothing to do with morality itself, though -- morality is not intrinsically or logically linked to wealth. However, it's an easy, common-sense framework to address a highly complex domain of human thought that addresses something (well-being) that wealth sometimes represents. It's so common-sense because it's rooted in our brains, and how they're built to understand the world. It is not, however, in any way practiced due to the logical or rhetorical merit of the metaphor.

So, let us examine the case of criminality, and the concept of "deserving" something, like punishment. I would venture that the concept of "deserving" is rooted in the financial metaphor of morality. When someone does something bad, in moral accounting (a common extension of the Morality as Wealth metaphor, and form of reasoning drawn from it), they accrue a moral "debit." This is the "debt to society" we often refer to (though moral debits are not always to be paid to the order of society, the reasoning is the same whoever the creditor is).

If we're doing accounting, the goal should be to balance the books, right? Defaulting on your debts has been considered immoral for millennia, and debt itself has been considered immoral in thousands of cultures. So, we can either use retribution -- in which we do something that also warrants a moral debit, to the person who owes us, of equal value ("the punishment must fit the crime") -- or restitution, in which the offender does something that warrants a moral credit of sufficient value to offset their debit (community service).

Now, it should be obvious that all this logic is entirely wrapped up in metaphor. It fits the internal logic of this short-cut to moral reasoning, but we're no longer actually examining morality itself -- how to maximize good and minimize evil, or alternatively, how to maximize well-being and minimize suffering. We've become trapped in this metaphor.

So, if moral accounting has no real intellectual or logical merit, and in no way inevitably or directly results in a maximization of well-being or goodness (and therefore is not inherently moral, and therefore a flawed mode of moral reasoning), then do we not need to reexamine the whole concept of deserving, and of punishment?

If we aim to be maximally moral, to maximize well-being, then it follows we must re-examine our system of justice, punishment, and and incarceration to do just that.

But to ever arrive at such a solution, we first have to abandon the concept of deserving punishment. A murderer who can be reformed reliably is better off back in society, producing and consuming, than sucking up tax dollars in prison. Now, the "can be reformed reliably" is a great caveat, no doubt, but the point here is that no matter how heinous a crime, we should only examine how best to re-integrate the criminal to society, as opposed to how best to punish them. Perhaps that means doing away with prisons as we know them entirely, and replacing them with entities more resembling school, rehab, and the therapist's office, though of course still involving incarceration. One can incarcerate prisoners without plunging them into a hell of rape, assault, murder, organized crime, monotony, and intellectual/cultural barrenness. All of which, I would argue, define American prisons as we know them.

To ever solve the prison problem, I would argue, we need to realize that no one deserves punishment. No one. When we think so -- or, more accurately, when we feel so -- we must recognize that this impulse is not grounded in good logic, but rather emotional satisfaction. We must erase moral accounting from our reasoning, and pursue only the policies which increase the public well-being.

There's a West Wing episode where Sam says he wishes that our schools were palaces. It's a bit tangential but Foucault would categorize both the prison and the school as high instruments of the carceral archipelago -- enforcers of social norms -- and if we really care about our society, and, yes, normalizing its citizens to high standards of well-being, perhaps our prisons should be instead palaces as well.

EDIT: To attempt to clear up some early confusion, a few things I wish to stipulate to:

Definitions for this OP:
Morality/Moral Actions: The pursuit of maximal well-being, as evidenced through the fact that humans generally use metaphorical language to discuss morality that is rooted in experiential well-being. E.g., Morality As Wealth, where wealth is experientially linked to well-being, or Morality as Health, where health is experientially linked to well-being, etc.

Moral Accounting: The practice of perceiving immoral actions as moral "debits" and moral actions as moral "credits." This is a mode of reasoning drawn from the Morality as Wealth metaphor, which uses financial logic to explain and inform thinking about morality. The goal is generally to balance the moral books.

Punishment: the practice of a moral authority (such as the courts/police/government) imposing an immoral action (one that minimizes or destroys individual and/or societal well-being) on an offender (someone who breaks societal norms as edified in law), so as to balance the moral books, in the moral accounting mode of reasoning -- that is, for the authority to accrue debits equivalent to the debits of the offender.

(1) Rape and murder are still horribly immoral. Nothing in this post suggests crimes are moral, merely that the concept of punishment (not incarceration, prisons, or all methods of punishment, but the idea of punishment rooted in moral accounting) isn't.
(2) Incarceration is still probably useful, to an extent. For example, if someone is a high-risk to reoffend, and is a murderer, life imprisonment could be argued as an effective measure for increasing the social good without ever using arguments about "deserving" punishment.
(3) A vast majority of crime is not, in fact, rape or murder, and we have good evidence that nonviolent offenders in particular respond very well to rehabilitation.
(4) Prison, as currently conceived in America, does not seem (I would argue) to maximize social good or well-being.
(5) I suppose this might become an argument about what is effective to reduce crime and what isn't, but I am trying to get at something that I feel motivates us much more deeply than this (though, I argue, it shouldn't).

VFM on

• Options
    AdrossAdross Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would say that "yes, they do deserve to be punished".

Because they're murderers and rapists.

Adross on
    Human knowledge belongs to the world
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Murder and rape are horribly wrong things to do to another person, no matter what kind of philisophical dancing someone tries to make it seem false. One completely ends the human experience against that person's will, the other can cause severe emotional and psychological damage to a person that they may never recover from.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    MannenbroughMannenbrough Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Adross wrote: »

What good comes from punishment for punishment's sake?

OP I absolutely agree with what you've said. Five stars.

Mannenbrough on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Let's see...

-removal of the dangerous, potentially psycho criminal from society, eliminating the risk that he/she will repeat their crime.

-Giving the victim or the people close to the victim a sense of comfort and safety, helping their emotional stability.

-A deterrent that might hopefully keep some other potential offenders from doing the same thing, out of fear of getting caught and being punished.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    VFMVFM regular
    edited May 2009

So, what you're saying is that we should reject logic, and the use of scientific policy for the purpose of maximizing good in favor of emotion, essentially? I mean you don't say that literally but it seems to be sort of wrapped up in that post.

Now, I won't necessarily say that's an automatically incorrect view -- Nietzsche would, I'm sure, say something very similar. Hell you've got a fair number of postmodernists to draw from if you want to go start critiquing logic altogether, or the notion of metacognition (which is implicit in my argument, I would think).

I'd be interested to hear a compelling argument about the merits of emotional reasoning, actually. I never have been much for it myself but it can be fun stuff.

VFM on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The idea behind jails - for me - is not to make criminals repay their moral debts to society. It is meant as a way to deter people from committing crimes: not everyone follows the same morality, so not everyone is going to see their murder as worthy of any punishment.

Since it costs society a lot of money - and through that progress - to let murder and rape go unchecked we have decided to severely punish people who commit murder and rape. Not because of morality, but because if we do not shit will hit the fan and our progress as a society will be hampered.

Aldo on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is so goddamned stupid. Cause and effect. You do something that violates moral and social laws, YOU REAP THE CONSEQUENCES. The intention of the punishment is to discourage whatever happened (murder, rape, ect) from happening again. This is not "paying a debt to society" or crap like that. It's intended to keep such major transgressions against society from happening again.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VFMVFM regular
    edited May 2009
    Murder and rape are horribly wrong things to do to another person, no matter what kind of philisophical dancing someone tries to make it seem false. One completely ends the human experience against that person's will, the other can cause severe emotional and psychological damage to a person that they may never recover from.

No one said those acts aren't horribly immoral. They are.

That doesn't mean punishment is moral, or at least punishment as currently conceived.

VFM on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    VFM wrote: »

That doesn't mean punishment is moral, or at least punishment as currently conceived.

Then what is the alternative? Let them go, saying it is also wrong to punish them, hoping they don't do it again?

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Murderers and rapists are still humans and while the most henious of these are deemed unfit for rehabilitation and release their confinement should not be based on punishment at all.

House them, provide them with basic amenities and care, and let them die of old age.

This is how a civilized and just society should act.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The "just try to rehabilitate everyone" argument doesn't fly either. Sure, this might work with some people. But it's not going to work with everyone. Not everyone is going to be able to see the error of their ways and be re-integrated into society. It's an unrealistic, idealistic fantasy. Some people just need to be removed from society, becasue they will always be a huge threat.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    VFMVFM regular
    edited May 2009
    proXimity wrote: »

Then what is the alternative? Let them go, saying it is also wrong to punish them, hoping they don't do it again?

Life imprisonment is still a viable option, I would think, under my view. It just requires that they not be realistic candidates for rehabilitation. If the risk of rehab outweighs the reward -- if the harm outweighs the well-being -- then it follows that life imprisonment would still be moral.

The point is that, I argue, much of our justice system is rooted in moral accounting. Specifically retribution or restitution.

VFM on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    To be capable of murder or rape, though, something is clearly wrong with you. Period. It's not like a person wakes up and decides "I'm going to be evil". Somehow, they don't see it that way. Bad genes, bad environment, whatever the background is, there is a reason other than "I'm a bad guy."

And before some genius starts rambling on about free choice and making decisions- the ability to make hard or noble or bad decisions- "Strength of Will" so to speak-is just as predetermined by genetics and environment.

Anyways, my stance on this is basically, if a criminal honestly regrets their action, and would take it back, and never make such a decision again, preferably because they are reformed, and maybe because they fear the repercussions, good game. Let them get on with new lives, hopefully lives that are productive because they've been taught a useful skill or something during their rehabilitation.

Whether this is achievable depends on the person, of course-some are psychologically incapable of reformation or fear, I'm sure. Pretty sure studies show that criminal sociopaths are MORE dangerous after 'reformation', but they're a very small minority, both of criminals and of sociopaths. Kill them or something.

Although, just because I think most criminals can and should be reformed if possible doesn't mean I'd lose sleep over their misfortunes, be it execution or prison rape or getting shot robbing a liquor store or whatever. The potential for a good human being isn't the same as a good human being. >_>

Kamar on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Your idea about doing away with prisons and replacing them entirely with rehab centres/schools. What's stopping the "client's" or whatever you want to call them from leaving before they're rehabilitated, or repeating their violent behaviour while inside? I guess we'll need some guards. And some bars on the windows, maybe, to stop them from escaping when no-one's looking. And high walls so they can't run off. What do you call buildings like that? Oh yeah.

Bogart on
  • Options
    VFMVFM regular
    edited May 2009
    This is so goddamned stupid. Cause and effect. You do something that violates moral and social laws, YOU REAP THE CONSEQUENCES. The intention of the punishment is to discourage whatever happened (murder, rape, ect) from happening again. This is not "paying a debt to society" or crap like that. It's intended to keep such major transgressions against society from happening again.

In stated theory. But criminal psychology and our own society seem to say otherwise in practice. Going to prison increases recidivism rates far higher than going to rehab. Criminals who commit crimes with large penalties usually do so (a) as a crime of passion, when deterrence is never thought about, or (b) with a criminal psychology such that the individual believes, quite sincerely, that they'll never be caught, or that the law does not apply to them.

Yes, prisons are supposed deter people, and probably some minimum of punishment is necessary for crimes to deter rational, normalized citizens from criminal activity. However, I would argue that our prisons exceed that minimum routinely, and are really quite ineffective at deterrence. For example, the fact that 1 in 100 (adult) Americans is in prison, and yet our crime rate is generally higher than EU nations.

Now, more police on the streets -- that has been tied to crime reduction, via prevention. People are less likely to offend if more police are on patrol. That seems to function as deterrent. If you want deterrent, spend less money on prisons, which increase likelihood of reoffence, and spend more money on police officers walking beats.

VFM on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Life imprisonment is still a viable option, I would think, under my view. It just requires that they not be realistic candidates for rehabilitation. If the risk of rehab outweighs the reward -- if the harm outweighs the well-being -- then it follows that life imprisonment would still be moral.

The point is that, I argue, much of our justice system is rooted in moral accounting. Specifically retribution or restitution.

Honestly, I think the emotional comfort and closure the victim/victim's loved ones get is more important. Fuck the rapist. The person he/she raped has been horribly scarred for life and the comfort he or she may get from seeing the attacker punished is a good thing.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    VFMVFM regular
    edited May 2009
    The "just try to rehabilitate everyone" argument doesn't fly either. Sure, this might work with some people. But it's not going to work with everyone. Not everyone is going to be able to see the error of their ways and be re-integrated into society. It's an unrealistic, idealistic fantasy. Some people just need to be removed from society, becasue they will always be a huge threat.

Our prison system fails to do this in any cases other than life without parole and death penalty cases, which are both in a tiny minority.

If people who commit crimes are inherently devious, then why don't we lock up all violent offenders for life? The reality is this is another stated purpose of the prison system that is ill-supported by our actual practices. Rapists can get as little as five or seven years. Rather than send them into a place filled with violence, sexual degradation, and more rape, why don't we send them to therapy? Confinement may also be required in the interim, but not the inhuman conditions of the modern American prison.

VFM on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

In stated theory. But criminal psychology and our own society seem to say otherwise in practice. Going to prison increases recidivism rates far higher than going to rehab. Criminals who commit crimes with large penalties usually do so (a) as a crime of passion, when deterrence is never thought about, or (b) with a criminal psychology such that the individual believes, quite sincerely, that they'll never be caught, or that the law does not apply to them.

Yes, prisons are supposed deter people, and probably some minimum of punishment is necessary for crimes to deter rational, normalized citizens from criminal activity. However, I would argue that our prisons exceed that minimum routinely, and are really quite ineffective at deterrence. For example, the fact that 1 in 100 (adult) Americans is in prison, and yet our crime rate is generally higher than EU nations.

Now, more police on the streets -- that has been tied to crime reduction, via prevention. People are less likely to offend if more police are on patrol. That seems to function as deterrent. If you want deterrent, spend less money on prisons, which increase likelihood of reoffence, and spend more money on police officers walking beats.

This has more to do with the insane things the US jails people for and your crazy jails. I would wonder what the murder and crime rate would be if murder and rape were not punished.

Aldo on
  • Options
    VFMVFM regular
    edited May 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    Your idea about doing away with prisons and replacing them entirely with rehab centres/schools. What's stopping the "client's" or whatever you want to call them from leaving before they're rehabilitated, or repeating their violent behaviour while inside? I guess we'll need some guards. And some bars on the windows, maybe, to stop them from escaping when no-one's looking. And high walls so they can't run off. What do you call buildings like that? Oh yeah.

I never said get rid of prisons or incarceration. Perhaps I should edit my post further. Still, you'll note it's nowhere in the OP.

VFM on
  • Options
    MannenbroughMannenbrough Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Let's see...

-removal of the dangerous, potentially psycho criminal from society, eliminating the risk that he/she will repeat their crime.

-Giving the victim or the people close to the victim a sense of comfort and safety, helping their emotional stability.

-A deterrent that might hopefully keep some other potential offenders from doing the same thing, out of fear of getting caught and being punished.

It is possible to remove someone from society and prevent repeat offenses without resorting to overly punitive measures. Do you agree that this would be better than just throwing someone in jail?

I'm never sure about your second point. Is the comfort provided to a victim's family by watching a murderer die worth it? Is that emotional satisfaction justifiable?

Mannenbrough on
  • Options
    VFMVFM regular
    edited May 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    This has more to do with the insane things the US jails people for and your crazy jails. I would wonder what the murder and crime rate would be if murder and rape were not punished.

Probably very high. We can look to pre-modern societies as a guide to this (e.g. Europe in the 1400s). Without modern police forces, legal systems, and standards of incarceration, crime (violent in particular) was very high.

Again, not saying incarceration isn't necessary, but the way we intellectualize it as punishment for a crime is problematic.

VFM on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Probably very high. We can look to pre-modern societies as a guide to this (e.g. Europe in the 1400s). Without modern police forces, legal systems, and standards of incarceration, crime (violent in particular) was very high.

Again, not saying incarceration isn't necessary, but the way we intellectualize it as punishment for a crime is problematic.

You're pulling sociology and state theory together: a government has different reasons for jailing people than we have as individuals. Whereas we like to jail people as a way to feel better and safer, the government jails people to prevent social unrest, loss of capital and possible anarchy.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I never said get rid of prisons or incarceration. Perhaps I should edit my post further. Still, you'll note it's nowhere in the OP.
    Perhaps that means doing away with prisons as we know them entirely, and replacing them with entities more resembling school, rehab, and the therapist's office.

Bogart on
  • Options
    VFMVFM regular
    edited May 2009
    Honestly, I think the emotional comfort and closure the victim/victim's loved ones get is more important. Fuck the rapist. The person he/she raped has been horribly scarred for life and the comfort he or she may get from seeing the attacker punished is a good thing.

Note I never actually made a direct argument about the rights or privileges of the offender. Merely that morality implies maximizing social good/well-being, and our prison system should reflect that morality, unless we decide to throw out morality altogether (many philosophers have made this argument, of course, and I don't reject it out-of-hand).

I would say that the comfort of the victim does not outweigh reducing the rate of violent offense. If, by making prisons more enjoyable, rewarding, comfortable places accompanied by a raft of services like education and therapy, we can reduce criminality overall by a significant extent, I say that clearly outweighs the emotional satisfaction of revenge-hungry victims.

VFM on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If we can't rehabilitate prisoners effectively, because of logistics or whatever, it really would be best to just execute them all. The current system is lose/lose.

Kamar on
  • Options
    VFMVFM regular
    edited May 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    Perhaps that means doing away with prisons as we know them entirely, and replacing them with entities more resembling school, rehab, and the therapist's office.

Yes, perhaps.

Also frankly, I don't see how something resembling "school, rehab, and the therapist's office" rules out incarceration, given that school and rehab both hold elements of compulsory attendance (i.e., restricting one's physical movement, possibly against one's will, like prison), and the existence of mental wards and psychiatric hospitals.

I think there is more that defines the modern American prison than incarceration (like, say, institutionalized assault, rape, and murder, and emotional trauma), but I'll edit the OP for clarity regardless.

VFM on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Kamar wrote: »
    If we can't rehabilitate prisoners effectively, because of logistics or whatever, it really would be best to just execute them all. The current system is lose/lose.
    It would be swell if we don't turn this into a pro/anti death penalty thread. :?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I was kind of making a statement. If you look at my first post, you'll see I wholeheartedly support rehabilitation as the best choice. I am suggesting that if all we can manage to do is victimize criminals into even bigger douches with our prison system, it'd be better for them and for society as a whole to simply end them.

Edit: I'm not being sarcastic, by the way. I honestly think that 1:It would benefit society more than the current system and 2:It's better for the criminal than the torment of a pseudo-life of repeated incarceration and decent into, if not madness, something similar.

Kamar on
  • Options
    VFMVFM regular
    edited May 2009

You're pulling sociology and state theory together: a government has different reasons for jailing people than we have as individuals. Whereas we like to jail people as a way to feel better and safer, the government jails people to prevent social unrest, loss of capital and possible anarchy.

Well foucault would argue differently about both, of course, but I'm not entirely enamored of the man anyway.

Still, I don't think the distinction matters. Those are all fairly reasonable impetus for imprisonment, so long as one can prove that the modern prison system really is the best method for making people safer, or reducing social unrest, loss of capital, and prevention of anarchy.

I'd say look at Baltimore and then try to tell me that the modern prison system actually does those things.

VFM on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    But then who would make our nation's numberplates?!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Let's see...

It is possible to remove someone from society and prevent repeat offenses without resorting to overly punitive measures. Do you agree that this would be better than just throwing someone in jail?

I'm never sure about your second point. Is the comfort provided to a victim's family by watching a murderer die worth it? Is that emotional satisfaction justifiable?

I believe it is. The way I see it, the emotional and psychological state of the person or people victimized is far more important than the criminal's. If you psychologically and emotionally harm someone, then I see nothing wrong with punishing them to try and undo at least some of that harm. It was the criminal who decided to act on his selfish desires, and mess with the victim's head. Therefore I feel the criminal gives up the right to be treated on the same level as the victim.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    VFMVFM regular
    edited May 2009

I still think there's a solid argument that the death penalty robs the potentially innocent of ever being acquitted, and it's not worth the risk. You can still make that argument under my framework. In fact I think my framework rather lends itself to that argument over the death penalty.

VFM on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    But then who would make our nation's numberplates?!

You still have children with no prospects, right? Well, now they have a job for life!

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Note I never actually made a direct argument about the rights or privileges of the offender. Merely that morality implies maximizing social good/well-being, and our prison system should reflect that morality, unless we decide to throw out morality altogether (many philosophers have made this argument, of course, and I don't reject it out-of-hand).

I would say that the comfort of the victim does not outweigh reducing the rate of violent offense. If, by making prisons more enjoyable, rewarding, comfortable places accompanied by a raft of services like education and therapy, we can reduce criminality overall by a significant extent, I say that clearly outweighs the emotional satisfaction of revenge-hungry victims.

You say revenge. I say helping the victims recover from the mental damage that was inflicted upon them.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    VFMVFM regular
    edited May 2009
    I believe it is. The way I see it, the emotional and psychological state of the person or people victimized is far more important than the criminal's. If you psychologically and emotionally harm someone, then I see nothing wrong with punishing them to try and undo at least some of that harm. It was the criminal who decided to act on his selfish desires, and mess with the victim's head. Therefore I feel the criminal gives up the right to be treated on the same level as the victim.

First of course you'd have to prove that punishing the offender in a sufficiently painful manner actually results in any significant difference in the long-term well-being of the victim. What's the cutoff? How much pain is necessary? How should it be inflicted?

And further, you're forgetting society's stake in all this. We have to spend money to incarcerate the offender, we lose their contribution to GDP, and in all likelihood, according to the stats, we're not really doing anything to prevent this person from reoffending as soon as they're out of jail, whereas rehab might.

VFM on
  • Options
    VFMVFM regular
    edited May 2009

You say revenge. I say helping the victims recover from the mental damage that was inflicted upon them.

argument still stands.

VFM on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There is that. The idea of innocents being killed for a crime they didn't commit sickens me more than I can really coherently say. To the point that I can't even try to make my sociopathic "Still better for society as a whole" argument.

Kamar on
  • Options
    VFMVFM regular
    edited May 2009
    What seems to be interesting so far is that it seems relatively few people here are actually enamored with the Morality as Wealth metaphor, or the moral accounting mode of reasoning. So far all the criticisms have been relatively pragmatic, and seem to stem from some ambiguity in my OP.

This is, to make an understatement, rather different than all my personal experiences arguing this position in real life or on other boards. I hardly think it would go over very well in SE++, for instance.

VFM on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There is a reason we don't have the victim choose the method of punishment. As much as supporting and helping the victims and their loved ones cope with what happened must be important to us, so must we defend against rash, emotional bloodlust clouding our justice system.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Sorry, can you cite some evidence that punishment of criminals heals the souls of crime victims? Or even something showing that a lack of sufficiently mean punishment hampers healing?

Also, please explain how punishment of criminals helps murder victims?

This is pretty specious reasoning. I think the OP is hopelessly naive about the prospects of criminal rehabilitation in most cases (especially since sexual crimes in particular occur in a broader culture of tacit acceptance - society itself needs to change before rehab will stick properly), but I definitely think there's not nearly enough emphasis on criminal rehabilitation in almost any modern justice system you care to name. And far too many justice systems tacitly use prisoners to further punish each other in ways that could never be openly sanctioned by the state (see: prison rape and the hi-larious joke that it seems to be to too many people).

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg