As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXI] LEVEL CAP 99 HERE WE COOOMMMME

• Options
    KitsurubamiKitsurubami Winnipeg, MBRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Solo'd out the last two levels on WAR, so it's at 37 now. Not a terrible job in terms of potential damage, but very boring to play (unless I'm tanking - in which case, it's a blast).

BLU is at 23, so I'm going to finish that off next. Then my Dragoon will have a damage-focused subjob and a solo/survivability subjob.

I'm going to get Dancer and Samurai to at least 37 as well, but those'll wait until I have Dragoon high enough to start camping some NMs and doing BCNMs.

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They have already said that there will not be pvp.

Where was this said, by the way?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sounds more like they're saying there will most likey be PvP of some sort, which I'm all for. I hope one doesn't have to schedule it before hand, though - it kind of sucks the steam out of the whole process. Preferably a "X has invited you to duel! - Accept Y/N?" type gump IMO.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    In unrelated news, yes I did get a conf E-Mail for the FF XIV newsletter.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Personally, I'd rather the PvP be in restricted areas, because nothing would be worse than starting the game later in it's lifetime and constantly dieing because a bunch of players decided to camp the starting grounds for PVP.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    TheSkyIsBurningTheSkyIsBurning __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure if this interview has been posted yet, click here for it nao.

Dengeki: What influences, if any, have you drawn from World of Warcraft?
    Kawamoto: There really isn’t anything from WoW that we’ve considered for FFXIV. We intend to create something original and worthy of bearing the FF name.

HOLY FUCK OWNED LOL

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure if this interview has been posted yet, click here for it nao.

Dengeki: What influences, if any, have you drawn from World of Warcraft?
    Kawamoto: There really isn’t anything from WoW that we’ve considered for FFXIV. We intend to create something original and worthy of bearing the FF name.

HOLY FUCK OWNED LOL

Bah, that is god damn retarded.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dengeki: Have you thought about how you want to attract people who have never played an MMO?
    Kawamoto: I think that the game’s visual style will attract a lot Final Fantasy fans who have never tried an MMO before.

Meh.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KitsurubamiKitsurubami Winnipeg, MBRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sounds like they're trying to assuage the rumors of FFXIV becoming 'WoW - Final Fantasy Edition'.

Granted, these rumors were started and kept alive by people who whined that they 'weren't impressed' by a couple of screenshots and an intro CG video.

I'm all for something different, but WoW does have a few things that every MMO since it's inceptions should steal. Instanced dungeons, for instance. The economy in WoW is decent, especially in comparison to that of FFXI. Farming for gold isn't nearly as much of a chore in WoW as it is in FFXI, which isn't something to sneeze at.

Granted, gold isn't worth much in WoW at this point, and I found myself wasting it on vanity mounts before I quit several weeks ago. Still, taking a bit of the grind out of the money-making process wouldn't be a bad thing.

One thing I'd really like to see in FFXIV is vendor gear that isn't absolutely bloody useless. One of my major beefs with RPGs, action or otherwise, is the fact that gear found on vendors is garbage. There's really no reason to buy stuff from merchants in WoW or FFXI, and better gear can almost always be found off other players or from world drops. While vendor gear shouldn't be best in slot, I'd like it to be at least a decent stop-gap measure while farming the cash to buy better stuff, or running instances/camping NMs to get best in slot gear.

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sounds like they're trying to assuage the rumors of FFXIV becoming 'WoW - Final Fantasy Edition'.

Granted, these rumors were started and kept alive by people who whined that they 'weren't impressed' by a couple of screenshots and an intro CG video.

I'm all for something different, but WoW does have a few things that every MMO since it's inceptions should steal. Instanced dungeons, for instance. The economy in WoW is decent, especially in comparison to that of FFXI. Farming for gold isn't nearly as much of a chore in WoW as it is in FFXI, which isn't something to sneeze at.

Granted, gold isn't worth much in WoW at this point, and I found myself wasting it on vanity mounts before I quit several weeks ago. Still, taking a bit of the grind out of the money-making process wouldn't be a bad thing.

One thing I'd really like to see in FFXIV is vendor gear that isn't absolutely bloody useless. One of my major beefs with RPGs, action or otherwise, is the fact that gear found on vendors is garbage. There's really no reason to buy stuff from merchants in WoW or FFXI, and better gear can almost always be found off other players or from world drops. While vendor gear shouldn't be best in slot, I'd like it to be at least a decent stop-gap measure while farming the cash to buy better stuff, or running instances/camping NMs to get best in slot gear.

Yeah, there's some really basic things that I will almost refuse out of hand to deal without at this point. Daily quests (or some other non grindy method of money-making), fast travel, and loot tokens being high on my list of no shit things all mmo's should have.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    The more money that is in the economy, the more inflation goes up. Getting enough money in FFXI to cover necessary expenses isn't hard, and easier money would just result in higher prices to match.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    No matter what happens.
    Gold Farmers are the winners.

More MMO player = more business for gold farmers.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The more money that is in the economy, the more inflation goes up. Getting enough money in FFXI to cover necessary expenses isn't hard, and easier money would just result in higher prices to match.

This is basically crap, or was when I played FF11, which I will admit was 3 years ago or so, barring sporadic resubs. But to go further than to just say Nuh uh, the server I play WoW on is one of the originals, or at the least extremely early (first 50) and despite dailies I have seen no real inflation. Blues still go for what they used to, high end mining herbalism stuff still sells for approximately the same amount of gold, and in fact are going for less (to wit, stack of adamantine ore was going for 30 up to the wrath launch, saronite right now is 18). You put in the cash sinks (vanity stuff, repairing) and you won't need to worry. Anything to not have to grind stupid fucking bullshit for hours on end to make money.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    My point was that the prices of items are determined by market pressures, but that isn't really where we were going with this.

Setting aside equipment purchases (of which almost any expense is recoupable) the daily expense for characters in FFXI is relatively minuscule. There are no repair costs, and pretty much any consumable are optional.

Yes, the nicer equipment pieces can really hit the pocketbook, but they are also optional. Not having them will not prevent you from seeing pretty much anything in the game.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My point was that the prices of items are determined by market pressures, but that isn't really where we were going with this.

Setting aside equipment purchases (of which almost any expense is recoupable) the daily expense for characters in FFXI is relatively minuscule. There are no repair costs, and pretty much any consumable are optional.

Yes, the nicer equipment pieces can really hit the pocketbook, but they are also optional. Not having them will not prevent you from seeing pretty much anything in the game.

Well, there are a lot of jobs that have non-trivial un-recoupable costs, like any given mage, Corsairs, Bards, and Ninjas (on top of their daily ninja tool costs). Granted, they're one time only costs, but they still add up. It also doesn't help that, barring lucky BCNM drops or something like that, most of the jobs I just mentioned aren't exactly "top of the pops" as money-making jobs either.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember when I played FFXI, Ranger was considered a job only if you had an ungodly amount of money, as the +ACC and arrow equipment would run you a FORTUNE.

ins0mniac on
    X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think what they need to address is the necessity of having good or better equipment to level. Granted the player's mindset in FFXI caused most of this because of our demand of decent XP/Hour rates, hell I fall into myself. But the camping way of leveling is dead and hopefully with that in mind we'll have something either more involved or relieves the need of more players for the most basic of tasks.

WoW has a decent philosophy but the problem is it got way too top heavy and abandons content like the plaque, especially end game. While just about every one of FFXI's endgame events are still relavent and attended by LSes on a daily basis. Ok we could chalk up most of them to piss poor droprates, Dynamis and Salvage. Others the farming required to climb up the tiers, Sky, ZNM and Sea. I'd like to think the real reason is having all jobs/classes available to one avatar and/or how most equipment only fills certain situations and/or are side grades, which isn't a bad thing.

WSes and Merits are something else I'd like to see come back. WoW got stale for me when reaching 80 on 3 separate classes and realizing, hey running Naxx or Heroics 18 billion times is old with nothing to be done inbetween besides PvP or freaking dailies. After getting T7 on my character and realizing that all I got were bigger numbers and higher DPS on my meters, it just didn't do it for me.

Here's to hoping, and awaiting info.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The thing is, every MMO does things wrong and others right. The thing you need to look at is does the good things outweigh the bad things? There is no lying that WoW is the most successful MMO ever. If you do, you're an idiot. Even if you despise the game, you have to admit that the game is successful for a reason. That reason is because Blizzard knows what they are doing in more ways than one.

Now with that being said, it is absolutely stupid for Square to not look at WoW and think, "That would do well in our game." By completely refusing to use some of their things (which is what that comment from Kawamoto seems to say) they are basically saying that they can do it on their own. Well this may be true, but if you want to attract a bigger audience, you need to do something special. People have trouble switching MMOs because it takes them from their comfort zone. If you can take something WoW did and do it better, then you can chip away at Blizzards fan base and create your own. Square is going to have a hard time getting people to leave FFXI for this game. That is one problem they need to try to solve right off the bat.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Square is more interested in JAPANESE market than US/EU market.
    They make more money in JAPAN then worldwide.

If will be interesting if Square goes Free To Play with FF14.
    Since japanese apparently doesn't like paying monthly fees.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dis wrote: »

I guess that depends if their goal is to stay true to their creative vision, or to make as profitable a product as possible. If your goal is profit maximization, catering to one market alone is pretty stupid.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dis wrote: »

Does FFXI really have more Japanese subscribers than western or are you just making stuff up?
    I would assume that limiting your market and turning down money would be 2 very poor business decisions.
    No one likes paying monthly fees, it's not some racial trait that they possess but if the game is good people will be willing to pay.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It is unsurprising that Square Enix would first look to the Japanese market, what with being a Japanese company and all.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sitting and thinking about the UI situation we can already count on them not supporting it again. And the more thought I put into this I already see a lot of the same hack comments coming from their devs, sans PS2 limitations lawl lawl.

The part in the interview were they said that their aiming at the Final Fantasy player base I already see bad things with this. Our visuals will bring them in!!!! SE's motto for the last 2 console generations, when in doubt throw graphics at em!!!!

Sounds like bad strategy.

(I'm jumping the gun for fun)

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't think the UI will be modable no, and I don't think they will be much configurable either. That being said, I am pretty sure SE has learned something over the last seven years and the UI will reflect this.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm hoping for something moderately customizable. Or at least some sort of promise by them that they will update it every once in a while. Has any MMO had a good UI at release? I remember even WoW's basic UI was pretty shitty when it was first released.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    WoW's UI community does wayyyyy too much, some of it is over the top, quest helper being one of them.

I'm not looking for anything like that, but like you said Bri I'd hope they have learned something over the years. Spamming Party chat with TP notices is something I don't want to go through again. However other things that the windower community added is unnecessary but you'll have that especially while walking the, is it cheating or not, line.

What really has my attention is the "in game engine" piece of the trailer, the supposed part with the "Galka". It almost looked more ARPG then auto-attack. Hmmm.....

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    But that's the thing about WoW is that a lot of the add-ons for the UI's eventually become part of the standard WoW UI. This shows that the UI community is doing something right. Of course a lot of the add-ons are over the top and shouldn't be used, but there are plenty of things that Blizzard just didn't think of in their initial build that they realized can be added or should be changed. Square didn't have this option when they built the FFXI UI, which, to me, is a problem.

I'm not advocating that XIV get to WoW's level of add-ons, but having the option would be appreciated. :)

WoW initially didn't have timer's on it's buffs/debuffs and then an add-on gave you that now it's standard in WoW's UI. This is something that FFXI needs to have as well. I know their buffs aren't set for a period of time, but having the timer there will give you a general idea of how long it's lasted.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    But that's the thing about WoW is that a lot of the add-ons for the UI's eventually become part of the standard WoW UI. This shows that the UI community is doing something right. Of course a lot of the add-ons are over the top and shouldn't be used, but there are plenty of things that Blizzard just didn't think of in their initial build that they realized can be added or should be changed. Square didn't have this option when they built the FFXI UI, which, to me, is a problem.

I'm not advocating that XIV get to WoW's level of add-ons, but having the option would be appreciated. :)

WoW initially didn't have timer's on it's buffs/debuffs and then an add-on gave you that now it's standard in WoW's UI. This is something that FFXI needs to have as well. I know their buffs aren't set for a period of time, but having the timer there will give you a general idea of how long it's lasted.

Buffs have a set time, debuffs don't. There is a windower mod that will show your buff status on screen. For debuffs (if they even work the same way) they could just have a icon showing if the buff is on the monster or not. You get the message anyway, it just saves you the trouble of having to scribble it on a note pad.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

Buffs have a set time, debuffs don't. There is a windower mod that will show your buff status on screen. For debuffs (if they even work the same way) they could just have a icon showing if the buff is on the monster or not. You get the message anyway, it just saves you the trouble of having to scribble it on a note pad.

Sneak and Invis seem to have a random time. I remember the first time I used them was to go to Sea Serpent Grotto for the Samurai quest and my first Sneak Pot lasted like a minute, but the second lasted like 3 minutes.

But in any case, I know the windower mod does that, and I don't like the way the timer overlaps all my other windows. It's annoying.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I had the same problem, but there is a config file you can edit to move the timers. I pushed them up a bit and have no further issue with them.

Edit: In the init.txt file add (or edit) the line to read 'statustimer setpos 145 40'

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thanks. I'll do that when I get home.

But I could probably come up with a list of mods for FFXI that would make the game better and something that Square should have done in the initial UI to begin with. I think not using a custom UI in this day and age of MMOs is stupid. Please don't do this for XIV Square.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Err yeah, sneak/invis/deodorize are special.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

And protect? Higher level protects on lower level characters last much shorter than they usually would.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

And protect? Higher level protects on lower level characters last much shorter than they usually would.

Well that's true for all buffs, it decreases in duration after a certain amount of levels. I'm not sure how much lower then the spell level they have to be.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That is intentional.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That is intentional.

I figured that was intentional. Else you'd have people spamming "Need protect IV" in all of the starting areas and then have 30ish minutes of easy leveling.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So during a thunderstorm about four days ago, something happened to my modem and dialup internet doesn't work on my laptop anymore

Which wouldn't be a problem if I didn't still live with my mother and she didn't live in the middle of fucking nowhere, so getting out the stone ages of the internet is impossible

Anyway! I'll update the OP (including a FFXIV trailer) since I'm at the library where they have a real internet connection

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I had the same problem, but there is a config file you can edit to move the timers. I pushed them up a bit and have no further issue with them.

Edit: In the init.txt file add (or edit) the line to read 'statustimer setpos 145 40'

Ohhh nice, I didn't know you could edit those. Was becoming a pain in the ass keeping track of how many finishing moves I had instead of just being able to look at them.

Yea all buffs have their duration adjusted when cast upon a player of lower level, even with sneak/invis's randomness it gets worse while on someone like level 10. Oils/Powders actually don't apply to that if I remember correctly, due to item usage not spell cast.

What I'm getting to with the UI is, because the game is on the PS3, and maybe on 360 down the road, SE would probably rehash their "It's unfair to our console playerbase if PC players can overhaul their UI" stance. If I had to bet on it I would, I really don't see it any other way.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Just_Bri_Thanks on