As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXI] LEVEL CAP 99 HERE WE COOOMMMME

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I just thought when you said that about when the cap is raised in your last post you knew when in June it'd be.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't know what it is about this game but I'm always looking to see what gear I be using at 40while I'm sitting at level 12

Also is the fellow worth it? Or is the kill speed he adds outweighed by the 70% xp

draw4wild on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I just thought when you said that about when the cap is raised in your last post you knew when in June it'd be.

Nah I'm just still in the ribbons so it will take forever regardless ;P

@Draw:
    I never use the companion but most of my jobs are extremely party friendly (COR/RDM/SCH) or extremely solo friendly (PUP/BST/RDM/DNC/BLM/SCH) so it's never really been much use to me.

(And thinking of higher level gear is good so you don't get stuck waiting for it at level like I did with pup ;P)

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Speaking of removing the lvl cap on Promys, will they remove the cap on Phominiua Acqueducts?

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Speaking of removing the lvl cap on Promys, will they remove the cap on Phominiua Acqueducts?

In theory they're removing "all" the level caps, but it could be standard SE translation errors. The zones almost certainly will have no level cap, but the boss fights might if they use BCNM mechanics. But afaik they haven't clarified their initial statement yet.

Tag on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Next patch will probably be end of June, early July so expect info and news tidbits mid-June. Hopefully in a month and a half they'll start clarifying info.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    EdwinOfThayEdwinOfThay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Congrats Edwin on Carbuncle's Ruby.

Thanks. Now all I need are the avatars! Ha.

EdwinOfThay on
  • Options
    funkydue01funkydue01 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not to hard haha.

funkydue01 on
    Game ID's
    (FFXIV:Renier Avanti - Wutai) (WoW:Kaelos - Malorne) (SC2: funkydue.219) (360/Steam: funkydue)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Depends on whether you want to avoid doing the level 20 quests or not. If you don't complete them you get free teleports to annoying to get to places all over the game, but have to face all the prime avatars one extra time each (including Levi, which is a pain to get to, stupid paintbrush).

Considering any good SMN will have to kill each avatar at least 3 times (twice without the quest for Fenrir and the Evoker's Ring), I don't think its worth giving up those teleports. If you can kill the primes twice, you can kill them a third time. But then if it's Ed's first job he'll have a hard time getting the regular avatars at low level. However, between the avatars, the carbuncle mitts, and the extremely niche rolls they fill, I'd say SE made it pretty clear they don't intend SMN to be a first job.

Tag on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    There are people who will run you through the avatar battles for gil, and not a lot of it.

Also, it is kill the Avatar once (or be in the party when it is killed) for the summon.
    Kill it again for the moon bauble; to go fight for Fenrir.
    Kill it a 3rd time for the Evoker's ring; and you need not do that one until level 70 or so Summoner.

Each avatar battle also offers equipment for other jobs if you feel you want it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah buying runs is the easiest. It's about 75-100k per avatar on Phoenix though last time I saw shout spam (though that drops to <20k-30k if you have a full group of would-be summoners and the soloer).

Doing the Fenrir fight and getting Diablos are much much much more of a pain and expensive though.

Tag on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I knew a guy who did it for 10k a summoner on Carbuncle back in the day.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think once I get rdm to 37 I should be able to solo it as pld/rdm.

funkydue01 on
    Game ID's
    (FFXIV:Renier Avanti - Wutai) (WoW:Kaelos - Malorne) (SC2: funkydue.219) (360/Steam: funkydue)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Immortal_Molt.png

Found this on the wiki while I was looking something up.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    :lol: so hard, that's great.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So if my plan is to level dancer I have no sub leveled for it. Can I level it in tandem with thief or should I spend the 2 hoursand unlock ninja now and level that in tandemwith dancer? Since my theft is only 9 atm I don't lose anytime really but I dontwant tolvl thief to 30ish then find out I had to switch to sub ninja.

Also I love the way nothing binds on equip in this game. I dropped 200k on leaping boots without a thought since I know I can get it back no problem when I outlvl them

draw4wild on
  • Options
    NovembersChopinNovembersChopin Las VegasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just bought:

i-b-osode.jpg

I'm broke now but this will be nice for the Mnk and War.

NovembersChopin on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In game now!

Unrelated note, was messing around with my Wii today, finally got around to putting up my friend code on these there forums.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    draw4wild wrote: »
    So if my plan is to level dancer I have no sub leveled for it. Can I level it in tandem with thief or should I spend the 2 hoursand unlock ninja now and level that in tandemwith dancer? Since my theft is only 9 atm I don't lose anytime really but I dontwant tolvl thief to 30ish then find out I had to switch to sub ninja.

Also I love the way nothing binds on equip in this game. I dropped 200k on leaping boots without a thought since I know I can get it back no problem when I outlvl them

I don't think thf is a good sub for DNC, no.

NIN is so useful for so many jobs as a sub you might as well just break down and level it.

That's the conclusion I finally came to. I haven't really played in the last week though, haven't had the time/been in the mood. :(

But leveling NIN is just a necessary evil; unless you're just straight up going to only play caster jobs.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    But leveling NIN is just a necessary evil; unless you're just straight up going to only play caster jobs.

Even then, its extremely useful for BLM, RDM, and BLU (in caster setup, almost required in melee setup). ...And melee whm <.< (although /thf is better for them).

Basically shadows and dual wield break the game so much and so often that you're at a serious disadvantage without them. At 80 cap it will be even better for 1 handed classes assuming they don't nerf the hell out of /nin's Innin and Yonin.

Edit: Which is why I'm now leveling the job, even though I hate it. Gotta bring it and DNC to 49 :-/

Tag on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Tag wrote: »

Even then, its extremely useful for BLM, RDM, and BLU (in caster setup, almost required in melee setup). ...And melee whm <.< (although /thf is better for them).

Basically shadows and dual wield break the game so much and so often that you're at a serious disadvantage without them. At 80 cap it will be even better for 1 handed classes assuming they don't nerf the hell out of /nin's Innin and Yonin.

Edit: Which is why I'm now leveling the job, even though I hate it. Gotta bring it and DNC to 49 :-/

Mymain problem is I don't like tanking in mmos so while I like playing support and heals and DD I have no desire to be a groups tank.this isn't a big deal pre 25 where I can solo at the same XP rate as a group. But I have 12/24 levels of tanking after that

draw4wild on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    eh, you don't have to tank as a nin.

Just make it clear when joining a party you're not going to tank.

I've been in many parties as a PLD that have NIN dpsers when I'm tanking.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    If a PLD and a Nin are in the same party the ninja may as well not try to tank. The pld isn't set up to yield threat to the ninja. It's an exercise in frustration.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also if you're a NIN or /NIN you'll more than likely be the puller, if you're not tanking. Utsesumi is really useful pulling too.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    NIN before 40 is terrible DPS. Katana are just so bad; its like being a dagger thief before viper bite sans sneak attack and trick attack. Just solo as nin/dnc. Gear for evasion and you can do T mobs easily with just the first tier of shadows.

Don't punish 5 other people (unless you're in a LS party that knows what is up).

Tag on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This happened while I was death warping myself back to Home Point after I left my party for picking up a power leveler.
    shadow_stitch.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If I use windower, can I run in fullscreen and still get to my desktop if I need to look anything up?
    -the inability to alt-tab is pretty stupid-

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yes, but ffix actually now has a setting to change into windowed mode in the external config program.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Rubycat wrote: »
    If I use windower, can I run in fullscreen and still get to my desktop if I need to look anything up?
    -the inability to alt-tab is pretty stupid-

Yep, for me I just have to leave a something open besides FFXI.

funkydue01 on
    Game ID's
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It should be said that Bastok is in first this week on Carbuncle.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Holy crap the stars must have aligned.

Anyone silly enough to have chosen Bastok better live it up this week! :lol:

EDIT: I will definitely be taking this opportunity to buy coronets to get my Windy rep maxed though.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Should be trying a BCNM this evening

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Woot DNC 70. 2 more levels and I can use my Suppa finally, and luckily Azoth's are dropping in price so hopefully I can pick one up at ~300k when I hit 75 and start working on one of those +12 EVA Magian Daggers.

Going to finish leveling up DRG to 40 and try duoing Royal Jellies with another DRG. Sounds really easy if played correctly.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Bastok is #1 on Cerberus too. :winky:

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Bastok is #1 on Cerberus too. :winky:

2nd on Phoenix.

I call hax.

Tag on
  • Options
    Koopa_ParatroopaKoopa_Paratroopa Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bastok was second last week and this week on Caitsith.

Koopa_Paratroopa on
    Pearl FC: 5113 8469 2573
    HG FC: 4942 0608 0811
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I know this is so 2002 but while leveling ninja I notice leaping Lizzy up. As a 12ninja I figured I'd die but could just suicide to avoidxp loss. Well fov regen, drain samba, and a temp potion made quick work of him and now I have bounding boots and can sell my leaping boots.

draw4wild on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Nah, that's awesome no matter what year.

Lizzy is one of the more camped mobs in the game still, regardless of the rare/ex of her boots because they're good for a lot of jobs for quite awhile.

Just getting them randomly like that is always a nice bonus.

If only the O Kote was on an enemy that you passed regularly and didn't have to go out of your way to camp spawns.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nah, that's awesome no matter what year.

Lizzy is one of the more camped mobs in the game still, regardless of the rare/ex of her boots because they're good for a lot of jobs for quite awhile.

Just getting them randomly like that is always a nice bonus.

If only the O Kote was on an enemy that you passed regularly and didn't have to go out of your way to camp spawns.

If only the O kote was on an enemy that actually dropped it more than 1/50th of the time.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    On Pheonix the O. Kote is only ~500,000; less than most the HQ elemental staves iirc. Is it jacked up high on y'all's server? I mean that isn't a trivial amount but it shouldn't take much more than a good week of farming unless you want them on your first job (even then you could do it in a week of fishing easily, even at low levels).

Edit: Although I've never been much of an NM camper if I could buy it. Spending days generating potentially nothing always seemed like a poor trade. Hell, now you can burn IP on imperial currency and sell it to "farm" and level at the same time.

Tag on