As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] S.H.A.R.D. HQ

• Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like them. The flushed out versions rock! I was worried about the strength one too but if it's only twice then I don't see it being too bad. I would like to see one that grants a boost to your attack roll for those must hit times

Well, the Strength bonus vs AC and Fort isn't damage, its to-hit. I'll make that more clear.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    bratrbratr Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm looking at making a regeneration character. i think it could be awesome to be able to like jump off a building, break a couple limbs and then regenerate.

Not sure what type of class would fit a regen character, maybe a cleric heals = passing some regeneration abilities to the other person.

bratr on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm thinking Regeneration will look something like this:

Superpower: Regeneration
    Minor Action: Spend a Healing surge to gain Regeneration 3 until the end of your next turn. You may dismiss this ability as a minor action to regain hit points equal to twice your constitution modifier.
    Sustain: Minor
    --At level 5 you gain resist 10 vs ongoing damage.
    --At level 10 you may attempt to save vs any effects on you at the beginning of your turn. Your Regeneration increases to 5 and you may dismiss it to regain your healing surge value.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    I like them. The flushed out versions rock! I was worried about the strength one too but if it's only twice then I don't see it being too bad. I would like to see one that grants a boost to your attack roll for those must hit times

Well, the Strength bonus vs AC and Fort isn't damage, its to-hit. I'll make that more clear.

sorry SAW I think I should have been more clear. When I said I'd like to see one that gives a bonus to hit I kent on the initial bonus. Like strength gives a plus to damage, I'd like to see a dex one that gives a bonus to attack

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Superpower: Speed
    Minor Action: You may shift your speed+2 as a move action until the end of your next turn. You may take other actions during this movement and complete it if you have any movement left.
    Sustain: Minor
    --At level 5 you may make a basic melee attack against one enemy you move adjacent to.
    --At level 10 you may spend a Standard action to make 2 At-will attacks against up to 2 different targets during your movement.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd really like to be a telekinetic, but I think that would be too much for the 4E rules to compensate for. Sad panda. :(

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    cytorak wrote: »
    I'd really like to be a telekinetic, but I think that would be too much for the 4E rules to compensate for. Sad panda. :(

I dunno. I mean, since you can reflavor powers, I don't see why a wizard/sorcerer/warlock couldn't appear just like telekinesis--hurling cars and such instead of fireballs. Githyanki get Telekinetic leap, which I've let people use on enemies before, so you could reskin one of them.

I'll see if I can think up an interesting Telekinetic Superpower feat as well though. (Or could you choose Flight or something else and attribute it to telekinesis as well.)

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Here's my character idea, I like the regeneration feat, time to look into reflavouring a class into a regeneration character.

Damn it any class can use regeneration... hmmmm

Name: Maxwell Jones AKA Moby D (allusion to the whale Moby Dick)
    Class: Cleric?
    Race: Dwarf maybe although Human appearance
    Ability: Regeneration

Personality:
    Maxwell is grudging of his power, he sees it as an unfair distribution of power since it has forced him to live when his mother died. Maxwell by nature is a risk taker and the ability to recover from most injuries makes even less vary of his actions. Although he opposes crime and in that sense is a hero, it is vengeance and rebellion rather that altruistic emotions that drive him to act. His past makes him distrusting and isolated, he makes friends slowly and is suspicious of most of his acquaintances.

Background:
    Max grew up in the suburbs of (insert city name). He grew up surrounded, but not touched by violence and crime. His parents tried hard to improve Max's future and for a while all went well. His father worked with a construction company and his mother juggled a supermarket job and babysitting. Then when Max was 13 his father lost his job. After months of fruitless searching Max's dad forced to resort to shady jobs delivering packages. By the time Max was 15 his dad was no longer the father who had tried to improve the family's circumstances. Alcohol and drugs made their way home and mother could no longer handle what was going on and turned to alcohol as well. High School was torture for Max and he just barely made it through Grade 11 despite his success in years past.

One day during the August, when the sun was beating down hard enough to liquefy metal, the fateful knocking came at the door. The door opened and at the door stood a man with a sawed off shotgun. His father who had opened the door rushed towards the back door, screaming for everyone to run. He didn't make it very far before he collapsed to the floor. Max's mom shrieked from the kitchen and as she quickly went for the phone. The man with the gun started walking towards the kitchen. Max rushed down the stares, later Max would remember how he screamed and how stupid it was to charge down but at that moment all he was thinking about was saving his mom. He remembered jumping, arms outstretched in front of his mom and then the shot.

Maxwell woke up in the ambulance. He asked the paramedics what happened to his parents but they wouldn't answer him. Later Max found out that his mom had managed to reach 911 but by the time they arrived both his mother and father had died and the shooter had left. The doctors explained to him that it was a miracle that he was still alive but Maxsaw it as a curse, he had to live while the only family he had ever known. He was sent to some distant relatives in the country to finish High School. They were nice people but Max wasn't interested in anyone anymore only the memory of his parents death was real to him. The day he finished High School he bought a train ticket back to (city name), left a note for his guardians, and got on the train. He was going back to get revenge.

bratr on
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name : Hope Summerfelt
    Super-hero name : Voice

Concept : adapted tiefling bard

Appearance
    Very pretty mid-twenties woman, 5'9" with black hair and green eyes. Her demeanor shows determination, confidence and command.

Personality
    She is used to getting her way. Commanding and sure of herself. She offers everyone her respect until they prove that they don't deserve it. Of course, she expects respect in return. She believes that her advantages, her powers, makes her a defender of the weak, of those who cannot defend themselves.

Background
    Around puberty, Hope realized that sometimes, when she told someone to do something, she could feel a sort pressure going out with the command, and people seemed to obey her almost without thinking. Overtime, she practiced her power, honing it, making it more reliable. And she found other uses for it, her scream of pain, for example, literally strikes back at whomever hurt her. Mainly she uses her voice, it resonates, it seeps into thoughts, it befuddles or clears minds.
    With her powers, she made her way into positions of authority, school councils, representative, president of clubs. She got into the best internships possible. No one was surprised when she opted to study politics and law. She still harbored idealistic dreams of a better world for everyone, a world of respect and honesty.

As her studies advanced, she became more and more disenchanted, the technicalities of the law, the backdoor deals and propaganda of politics. Those were tools used by people to further themselves, not to help and nurture the country. Not to prepare for the future.

Her studies done, she searched for other ways to help people, she worked in refuges, in soup kitchens, in rehab centers. She learned of the world of the poor and underfed. Of abuse and despair. And she realized that there were forces corrupting this world, forces that normal people could not oppose, could not comprehend.

By the way, what will we be using for weapons, a longsword and shield seem kind of barbaric. And armor ?
    Superpowers ?

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Love the idea cytorak! Also digging the changes. All these concepts makes me feel that I should mention that my charcter isn't actually a mutant, think of him as a cross between captian america/spider man/MacGuyver! He's a normal guy, no special powers that he knows of, he's just REALLY good at doing what comes natural to him! So he's strong and fast like Captian America, climbs and swings like Spider Man, but doesn't believe in using guns like MacGuyver.

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Skills would probably need to be changed as well. Dungeoneering, Religion, Nature, and Arcana seem a tad out of place in a quasi-modern setting.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    KT Clark, Telekinetic:

Powers and such:
    All powers would be reflavored to do "psychic" or "force" or "telekinetic" damage.

Flight would probably be a feat I would take. Staff of Defense will be reflavored as Force Field.

Any suggestions on reflavoring would be appreciated.

Power source/origin: I'm going to go with Experiment, ala Captain America. Drank some government super soldier serum (Now in refreshing Cola flavor!) and got spooooooky powers.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
    TK, level 1
    Githyanki, Wizard
    Arcane Implement Mastery: Force Field (Staff of Defense)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 10.

AC: 14 Fort: 12 Reflex: 14 Will: 16
    HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +9, Diplomacy +5, History +11, Insight +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Bluff, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +2, Heal +3, Intimidate, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +4, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery, Athletics

FEATS
    ???
    ???

POWERS
    Wizard at-will 1: Phantom Bolt
    Wizard at-will 1: Thunderwave
    Wizard encounter 1: Force Orb
    Wizard daily 1: Rolling Thunder
    Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Phantom Chasm

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

Fluff to come. Suggestions welcome on my build.

Wizards are pretty much the easiest to do, as they can pretty much do the same thing they used to. I don't know about the spellbook though. How to justify having a power one day and another the next day.
    Thunder and force fall well into the telekinetic purview. Psychic is an attack on the mind so it would have to be a different power.

Basically, you're Jean Grey, without the red hair.
    and without phoenix

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Skills would probably need to be changed as well. Dungeoneering, Religion, Nature, and Arcana seem a tad out of place in a quasi-modern setting.

He DID say demons.

Arcana = supernatural
    Religion = demonology, occult
    Nature = nature (a bear is still a bear :P )
    Dungeoneering = hum. Identifying aberrants? Is that useful ? Are there any ?

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Religion = religion

I mean you still have multiple faiths and belief systems, still useful if we travel about

Also I'm having a hard time deciding what class i'm gonna reflavour, I mean regeneration doesn't seem to come with any Offensive attacks, or even support abilities. Initially I envisioned a rouge type character with slightly above average abilities but high health and regen abilities.

So i've thought him up as far as roleplaying will concern his abilities, but I need some help on combat

EDIT: Perhaps a duel weilding ranger aka Wolverine type deal

REDIT: One more point, can we have two abilities but have only one thats from a feat so take Regen for a feat but have attacks that are based on say for lack of better example laser vision

bratr on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Here are some reflavored bardic powers :
    Bard
    Perfect timing : she senses when enemies are going to miss and profits of this small precognition time to urge her allies to move, slipping then them through their enemies' vigilance. (Virtue of Cunning)

Mind over matter : she applies mental force on her ally so that his body heals itself with the force of the belief that it is in fact healed. (Majestic Word)

Mimic : She has the ability to copy parts of other people powers, from dipping into their minds and learning how they work (like Cylar, without the cranial slicing) (multiclass versatility)

Collateral competence : Her contacts with the minds of other seeped some knowledge into her mind (skill versatility)

Word of friendship : seems fine

Implements : not sure yet
    Sword : Well a sword. I guess. Or maybe an imaginary sword. That would rule. It hurts from her belief that it will.
    Shield : Maybe a ring like Harry Dresden
    Feat : The Preying Mind - She instills in an opponent the sense that it is the prey and she the hunter, making it hesitant towards her. (Bravo multiclass)

At-Will 1 - Echoing voice - Her low uttered words echo though the mind of her enemy, with promises and threats, causing its accuracy to drop from distraction. (Vicious Mockery)
    At-Will 1 - The sword at your throat - After her sword strike hits, she befuddles the mind of the enemy, making him relive the attack from his memories, instilling the belief that the attack is still coming. Thus lowering his defense. (Guiding Strike)
    Encounter 1 - Move! - She commands. And the enemy obeys without thinking, moving where she wants and opening itself to attack from her ally. (Blunder, or I could keep Blunder as it is)
    Daily - Timeless Voice - Her voice seems to come from everywhere at once, guiding her allies' strikes, sustaining their life. With each enemy that falls, time seems to flicker, the world freezes briefly while she and her allies move. Her voice drives them towards victory.

Tiefling
    Voice of pain (tiefling's infernal wrath), its the same thing, really, except that she screams
    Feel the weakness (+1 against bloodied), basically, she can feel her foes when they weaken
    Feel no fire (fire resistance) Convincing her body that it is not, in fact, burned.

Rituals
    Later...

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    THE WORD IS ROGUE. SEE ABOVE POST.

Hermengilde can you achieve all that with just 4E stuff? Are you going to take one of the superhero feats?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Man this is getting better and better

bratr on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Maxwell Jones, level 1
    Half-Elf, Barbarian
    Build: Rageblood Barbarian
    Feral Might: Rageblood Vigor

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14, Con 18, Dex 13, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14, Con 16, Dex 13, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 12.

AC: 12 Fort: 16 Reflex: 12 Will: 12
    HP: 38 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
    Athletics +7, Streetwise +7, Endurance +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +1, Arcana, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering, Heal, History, Insight +2, Intimidate +2, Nature, Perception, Religion, Stealth +1, Thievery +1

FEATS
    Level 1: Toughness (To be replaced by Regeneration)

POWERS
    Barbarian at-will 1: Ignore the Pain (Pressing Strike) - whether the enemy have swords or miniguns, they don't impede his movement
    Barbarian at-will 1: Recuperating Strike - Blood off Max and his enemy spills but only the enemy falters
    Barbarian encounter 1: Heedless Attack (Avalanche Strike) - Max ignores the danger to himself, after all he can't die.
    Barbarian daily 1: Last Stand (Macetail's Rage) - Max gives up strategy and goes into a frenzy, his body responding to each strike with new health

OMIT: (Half-Elf: Thundering Armor)

Tried a Druid, it was ok except for i didn't like the magic much, would have had to make it a gun thing and I discovered the barbarian who is in fact a regenerater lol. I used a quarterstaff to make him but I think Max would just use improvised weapons, thus 1d6 rather than 1d8 but since he is using it two handed I think it goes back up to a 1d8

bratr on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hm. Skills is a good point.

I think we can combine Religion into Arcana (so, Occult and stuff) and then add Science. Also making Alchemy a Science-based set of recipes rather than Arcana, and Enchantment could also be switched to Science.

Aaand Dungeoneering.. hm.. not sure what to rename that, since the actual skill itself is fine--identifying other mutants and monsters and having knowledge of villain hideouts.

As for weapons, lots of superheroes use hammers and bows and shields and swords, so that's definitely a possibility. However, we can easily also say that if you want, your weapon can be merged with your fists. So you're flavored as being hand-to-hand, but you use a particular weapon's stats.

Armor can just be the suit you're wearing. Spandex through Kevlar through Adamantium weave. Feel free to describe it however you want--even as an aura of invincibility like superman.

For the majority, you guys aren't going to be finding a lot of loot that is of any use to you, and rather we'll just flow that instead of finding a +1 weapon or something, you get a bit better with your fists, or whatever that would be equivalent to the type of equipment you'd otherwise be getting.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh, and bratr, you can definitely have powers flavored differently than your feat, no problem. I'm mainly just using the feats to fill in the gaps in what powers can accomplish.

Superpower: Senses
    Minor Action: You gain +3 to your next attack roll or +10 to your next perception check.
    --At level 5 you can see through any concealment and can ignore blindness. Attack roll bonus increases to +5, Perception Check bonus increases to +15.
    --At level 10 you can Sustain this ability as a Minor Action.

Also, I think how this is going to work is: You can have 1 Superpower feat. At level 11, you have a couple options, however:

Paragon: You can take a Paragon paths as usual.

Enhanced Superpower: I'm thinking of making special Paragon paths aligned with each superpower, so its sort of a supped up version of the initial feat.

Multi-power: Instead of taking a paragon path or Enhanced Superpower, you can take a second Superpower Feat that has its increments changed from level 5 and 10 to 15 and 20.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like this...

Only interesting idea I have would be a Doc Savage-esque type. Do you think that would work?

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    THE WORD IS ROGUE. SEE ABOVE POST.

Hermengilde can you achieve all that with just 4E stuff? Are you going to take one of the superhero feats?

It's all lvl 1 bard powers. Reflavored. They work the same :)

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So, since there aren't that many people seemingly interested in playing this, how would you guys like to turn this into something a little different? Sort of a Create & Playtest of a Superhero 4e mod?

I was just messing around, and I think it could actually work pretty well to turn these from basic feats into actual Class templates that could be put together sort of like the Hybrid Classes are.

So, you could pick like 1 or 2 Superpowers at level 1 to create your basic "Class" or whatever, which would supply At-Wills and such.

Here's two that I was just playing around with:

Superpower: Flight
    It's a bird! It's a plane! It's someone who can fly!

The gift of flight is one that takes time to master. However, once done, there are few obstacles you cannot face.

Superpower Features:

Take Flight
    Before you can truly master the power of flight, you need to get off the ground!

You gain a Clumsy Flight speed equal to your base movement speed.
    --Sustain: Minor
    ----At level 5 you gain the ability to hover.
    ----At level 10 Clumsy Flight becomes regular Flight.

Powers:

Dart -- Flight Attack 1
    You dart through the air, aiming a quick strike at your opponent.
    ===
    At-Will * Martial, Weapon
    Target: One creature
    Special: You may fly 2 squares before the attack.
    Attack: Dexterity vs AC
    Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.
    ===

Push-Off -- Flight Attack 1
    You use an attack on your opponent as an opportunity to take to the air.
    ===
    Attack: Dexterity vs Reflex
    Effect: You may fly 2 squares after the attack. You do not ellicit an Opportunity Attack from the target of this power during the move.

Superpower: Strength

Superpower Features:

Powerful Strike
    When making a martial melee or heavy thrown weapon attack against AC or Fortitude, you deal an extra 1d6 damage. If you have Combat Advantage against the target, you deal an additional 1d6 damage.

Innate Athleticism
    You gain +5 to your Athletics checks.
    --At level 5 this bonus increases to +10
    --At level 10 this bonus increases to +15

Powers:

Knockback -- Strength Attack 1
    You hit your opponent so hard that they are knocked backwards.
    ===
    Target: One Creature
    Attack: Strength vs Fortitude
    Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage. The target is pushed 1 square.
    Special: You may use this power as a basic melee attack.
    ===

Pummel -- Strength Attack 1
    ===
    Target: One Creature
    Attack: Strength vs AC
    Hit: 2[W] damage

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There are more than five interested parties, I think. Which is enough.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm also interested in playing. Working on reflavoring a swordmage into a teleportation-based hero, hopefully I'll have him up soon.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Even if these don't end up used in this game.. I'm having fun coming up with them. :P

Superpower: Speed

Superpower Features:

Too Fast
    You may shift your speed+2 as a move action. You may spend other actions during the course of the move.
    --At level 5 this increases to speed+4
    --At level 10 this increases to speed+6

Too Slow!
    While wearing no, cloth, or light armor, you gain +3 to AC and Reflex

Powers:

Flurry -- Speed Attack 1
    You move quickly and strike multiple times.
    ===
    Target: One or two creatures.
    Attack: Dexterity vs Reflex, two attacks.
    Hit: 1[W] damage
    Special: You may move in between attacks.
    ===

Misdirect -- Speed Attack 1
    You strike so quickly that your target doesn't even realize it was you.
    ===
    Attack: Dexterity vs Will
    Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target is marked by an ally within 5 squares of you until the end of your next turn.
    ===

Superpower: Wallcrawler
    Superpower Features:

Stick It
    You have a climb speed equal to your movement speed. You are able to climb up sheer surfaces and on ceilings.

Don't Look Up
    You may move your full speed while climbing without suffering a penalty to Stealth checks against enemies who are below you.

Powers:

Death From Above -- Wallcrawler Attack 1
    ===
    Special: You must be climbing. You may jump a distance equal to your Dexterity modifier before the attack. You do not draw Opportunity Attacks for this movement.
    Attack: Dexterity vs AC
    ===

Kickup -- Wallcrawler Attack 1
    ===
    Special: If you are climbing, you may jump up to 2 squares before the attack.
    Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and you may jump up to 2 squares. You do not draw an Opportunity Attack from the target of this power for this movement.
    ===

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Just an FYI you can still have dungeoneering, you can just rename it either engineering or architectur(eering)! It will still function the same, give you information about it's past, who may have made it, etc. Also I'll be re-posting The Free Runner pretty soon. Going with a Monk, if the DM will allow. It fits the character perfectly.

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Monk is totally fine. And as for Dungeoneering, that's exactly what I said. :P

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    lol true...maybe I should read before opening my big mouth :D

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Question...these bonuses like the strength bonus with the additonal 1d6 is that every time you hit, or just during the 2 times you can activate your power during an encounter?

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Question...these bonuses like the strength bonus with the additonal 1d6 is that every time you hit, or just during the 2 times you can activate your power during an encounter?

Sorry, I should have made it more clear--those aren't for the Feat version of the powers, that was for if I made full classes out of them.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For the Doc Savage type...

Deva, Two-Weapon Ranger (auto loading hand crossbows?)
    I will have to ponder further.

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    For the Doc Savage type...

Deva, Two-Weapon Ranger (auto loading hand crossbows?)
    I will have to ponder further.

It could definitely be interesting. I'd like to see a Batman-esque character--someone with no actual superpowers, just his wits and balls. :P

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Sorry, I should have made it more clear--those aren't for the Feat version of the powers, that was for if I made full classes out of them.

Ah got ya! So we can still take the feat version of those powers though right? I'm looking foreward to using the wallcrawler ability!

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Ah got ya! So we can still take the feat version of those powers though right? I'm looking foreward to using the wallcrawler ability!

Yeah. The Class versions are just me messing around and seeing what you guys think. :P

Though, I did post my sketch for the Wallcrawler class as well a couple posts up.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I saw the wall crawler class idea and it was awesome! I'd like to see how it stacks against the monk one. I was basically gonna re-tool most of the monk abilites which would make it a cross between the speed and wall crawler one.

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It would be cool to perhaps add something like fire control that could easily be a redone warlock or something

I'm totally into testing this

bratr on
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    it would be really easy, with just a bit of re-skinning, to do one of the more common vigilante with no super power tropes, like this:

Character Concept:
    You're not super. You're not special. You weren't born with strange powers of the mind, nor could you fly or fling cars or bash down walls with your bare hands. What you can do, however, is shoot. From the moment you touched your first BB gun, you've been fascinated by the boomsticks. You know the difference between a Mauser-style bolt and an Enfield bolt. You correct people who call rifles 'guns'. Between your time on the range, your military service, and your encyclopaedic knowledge of ballistics, calibers, and firearms, you've become an expert on putting a bullet EXACTLY where you want it to go -- but you're only getting better from here.

Character Background:
    Dim childhood memories of blasting soda cans in the backyard with my Red Ryder entertwine with the horrific young adult snapshots of the war (WW2 / Korea / Vietnam / Persian Gulf Wars depending on time frame). Coca-Cola's red and white eerily mimics blood and bone in my memories, and shooting an aluminum can is no different any more to me than shooting a man. I pull the trigger, and they topple.

I was a good soldier, a designated marksman always chosen to be one of the first to jump into a mission. The brass, however, began to notice just how good I was at killing, and they also noticed that I didn't mind it. It wasn't the killing per se, it was just that it was my job. It was what I did.

Then I was discharged. "Post-traumatic stress disorder", the Army psyches declared it. Bullshit. I wasn't stressed. I just scared them. How can you be too damn good at killing? What did they train me for anyway?

I didn't have much to go home to. Never married, no kids, mom and dad just sort of drifted away while I was overseas. I got a cheap place and worked a cheap job that I was mediocre at. Then, my neighborhood experienced a rash of break-ins, muggings, and even a couple of murders. The police couldn't do anything, even though everyone knew it was the local gang responsible. Not enough evidence to arrest, they said. Well, there's enough evidence for me. Guess I have a real job again.

The Numbers Stuff:
    level 1
    Human, Ranger (Gunman)

ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 11, Dex 20 (human bonus), Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 15 Fort: 12 Reflex: 17 Will: 13
    HP: 30 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Nature (Scout) +6, Dungeoneering (Urban) +6, Stealth +10, Athletics +5, Endurance +6, Perception +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +5, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Heal +1, History, Insight +1, Intimidate -1, Religion, Streetwise -1, Thievery +5

FEATS
    Human: Lethal Hunter (Lethal Marksman)
    Level 1: Toughness

POWERS
    Ranger at-will 1: Careful Attack (Aimed Shot)
    Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike (Rapid Fire)
    Ranger encounter 1: Two-Fanged Strike (Aim Low, Soldier!)
    Ranger daily 1: Split the Tree (Multiple Targets)
    Human: Hit and Run (Find Some Cover!)

Not applying to play, mind you, just experimenting with re-flavoring.

R-dem on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Updated my character, got him a race a class and even powers. Please let me know what you all think and any advice would be most appreciated. I didn't add the attack information for his abilites because the monk isn't in the compendium, or the character creator so everything was written by hand.

Character Name: Gabriel Gordon <-- Sticking with the Stan Lee same letter for first and last name :)
    Superhero Name: The Free Runner <-- Not really sure, but I like free running and that’s how I see this guy
    Information:
    level 1
    Elf (Looks human though, cause an elf would just be weird :P), Monk
    Monastic Tradition: Centered Breath

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 10, Dex 19, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 10, Dex 17, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 9.

AC: 16 Fort: 12 Reflex: 15 Will: 15
    HP: 22 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +11, Insight +9, Perception +11, Stealth +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana, Athletics, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance, Heal +4, History, Intimidate -1, Nature +6, Religion, Streetwise -1, Thievery +4

FEATS
    Level 1: Wallcrawler

POWERS
    Class Feature: Centered Flurry of Blows -> Free Runners Assault
    You strike with incredible speed, your fists a blur as you follow up your initial attack with another

Racial Feature: Elven Accuracy -> Eagle Eye Perception
    With an instant of focus, you take careful aim at your foe and strike with the legendary accuracy of the elves -> Studying your foe you notice the small movements that they are going to dodge your attack and you make your correction on the fly surprising them with a shift of your blow in mid-swing.
    Level 1:
    At-Will: Crane's Wings -> Flip Kick
    You leap across the battlefield and kick your foe, sending it staggering backwards

At-Will: Dragon's Tail -> Rolling Slam
    Your hand lashes out like a dragon's tail, and with the lightest touch unleashes power that knocks your foe to the ground -> You lash out with a violent kick slamming your foot into your foe with enough force to knock them to the ground, rolling with the momentum of your kick you have the potential to move after your assault.

Encounter: Open the Gate of Battle -> My Lucky Day!
    Your sudden movement caches your foe unprepared, and you launch into your attack

Daily: Whirling Mantis Step -> Runners Euphoria
    With swift steps and overwhelming leverage, you shove aside your foes and cripple them with vicious kicks to their legs and knees

Appearance:
    A ripped up red hoodie covers his chest and arms. When he needs to sneak around and be undetected he lifts his hood to hide his face. When swinging around or chasing down bad guys and he lets his hood fall back so people can see his face he has a pair of sunglasses red sunglasses covering his eyes with blue lenses, and a white modified balaclava to cover from his eyebrows to the bottom of his nose, leaving his hair free to flow in the breeze, his lips and chin exposed as well. Loose fitting blue jeans allow for ease of movement, with his plain white sneakers on his feet that he tries to keep immaculate, no matter how impossible that is! Bracers on each of his wrists hold Co2 powered grappling hooks (not the kind that goes over and hooks but punches through, opens up with hooks and latches in) to help him speed through the city when he needs to move faster than he can run. A deep blue messenger bag on his back carries some of his personal belongings along with a change of clothes for when needs to get out of his outfit in a hurry.

Personality Traits:
    As always Gabriel ties to do the right thing, when ever he is not totally sure about if what he is doing is right he trusts what his gut says and if it says jump, then he jumps. Gabriel always has a grin on his face, a cheesy one-liner at the ready, and when things take a turn for the worse his grin only gets bigger and it slowly turns into a rueful smile. Being a bit of an odd-ball he likes to hang on objects, or balance on a chair when talking or doing other mundane things to keep himself interested. Although he really doesn’t HAVE to be a superhero, his adrenaline ruled personality, the need to keep things interesting, and his strong moral fiber to do the right thing makes him know that he NEEDS to be a superhero.

Background:
    Having parents who didn’t make a lot of money he grew up in the poorer side of the city. Being the only child he was the apple of his parent’s eyes and they spent most of their money on sending him to a good school. Being picked on by the majority of the kids in his school for being poor and for not fitting in since he couldn’t afford all the new toys he made due with what he could. Spending his free time when he wasn’t doing his homework he would spend hours running around the apartment building he lived in often times climbing to the roofs and jumping from building to building. As he grew older his first job was to deliver food to those who couldn’t get outside (think meals on wheels) through that job he eventually made a couple of friends. One of his few friends had a natural knack with making strange and unique items, however since he was crippled from the waist down he couldn’t ever go out and really test them. As his best friend slowly succumbed to death the last thing he made was a special gift for Gabriel, the bracers he still wears to this day. Leaving them in a box when Gabriel arrived to deliver his friends lunch he found him dead in his bed, the box sitting on the table. After that Gabriel stopped running outside for years, he spent more time at home and left his box still wrapped under his bed. Sleeping in until the late hours in the day he barely passed high school, moving out of his parents house he got an apartment a few blocks down from his parents. The night after he moved out there was a fire and both of his died because nobody could get to them in time. That night he couldn’t sleep so he put on his white shoes and climbed to the top of his apartment building and started running, he ran until his legs gave out and he collapsed on a rooftop halfway across town. Sleep there for the night he woke up with the sounds of a screaming woman coming from below! He looked over the edge of the building and there he saw a woman about to be mugged, sliding down the side of the building he leapt down the last 20 feet and landed on the mugger, beating him senseless he made sure the woman was alright before he climbed back up to the roof and ran back to his home to finally take a look inside the box his friend gave him, a smile on his face as he knew he had found his calling.

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Looks like we have an interesting mix of characters. If Saw wants to and some of the others would, we could try doing an intro type play test where our characters are thrust into some dangerous situations (crashing train) and an battle type encounter (bank robbery), it would allow A) a possible plot opening for a game being created from this and B) it would allow us to explore the balance of the abilities as well as see how they impact out of combat skill events.

bratr on