As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC not recognizing 360 as media extender

El WhitoEl Whito Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, that's pretty much exactly my problem. Every time I try to add my 360 as an extender on my network with Media Center, it says it doesn't see the 360 on my network. Which is ridiculous, cause I can go into my network folder and see an icon that says 'xbox 360'.

My PC is hooked up through wireless and the 360 just has an ethernet cable running straight from the router. Would that make a difference? It's just infuriating, cause I know they're on the same network, same subnet, everything. I just don't know why it's not being recognized. So, help me, h/a, because I'm about to throw this thing out the window.

Mass Genocide is the most demanding activity one can take part in. Next to soccer. - Loki, Dogma
El Whito on

• Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    there is some setting in network and sharing center that has to be changed and i honestly can't remember it. but it's one where you have to change 3 other settings to get to it and then it shows up. huge pain really and i wish i could remember it from when i hooked up a PS3. but yes it is possible... just took us 3 hours to figure out

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't know if this is your problem, but it something that could affect this:

have you enabled media sharing to the 360?

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    El WhitoEl Whito Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, I've enabled it through Media Player. Is that what you mean? And in network and sharing center, I have file sharing and public folder sharing turned on within my network. But it doesn't seem to recognize that my PC and Xbox are on the same network when I'm trying to share stuff between the two. It's weird.

El Whito on
    Mass Genocide is the most demanding activity one can take part in. Next to soccer. - Loki, Dogma
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    aha.
    you have vista.

is your network public or private?

Captain Vash on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What exactly is the reason for doing this? If you're just wanting to play videos from the pc with the xbox just grab Tversity and use that for streaming. I'ts MUCH easier.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Crashtard wrote: »
    What exactly is the reason for doing this? If you're just wanting to play videos from the pc with the xbox just grab Tversity and use that for streaming. I'ts MUCH easier.

This interests me. What can Tversity do that I can't do by simply sharing my library via Windows Media Player? (Which is much easier than using the media center to begin with.)

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    transcode virtually any format into something the 360 can display on the fly using your computer's processing power.

Captain Vash on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tversity is awesome. I heartily recommend it.

exis on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TVersity is pretty damn good. PlayOn is also a nice, but feature-lacking, program that will get Hulu on the television.

I had the same issue with Media Center as I cannot, for the life of me, get everything to line up correctly. Instead I just keep a large network-shared folder full of all my media and access it through the "My Video/Music" menus. If you're just looking to be able to stream media, using either TVersity or simple sharing is a much easier way to accomplish this task. IMO, Media Center is a big resource-hog that isn't worth the pretty menu.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg