As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

THIS IS SPARTAAAAA!!! (Official "300" Thread)

• Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    man fuck period pieces

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Everyone that likes 300 should check out Gates of Fire
    Historical fiction culminating with the Battle of Thermopylae. It's an incredibly great read and pretty short.

Link to the book at Amazon

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Historical fiction culminating with the Battle of Thermopylae. It's an incredibly great read and pretty short.

How much is big hook monster in it?

I hope it's some.

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Urian wrote:
    I'll see it, mostly because I get free movies since I work at a theatre.

Man, when I could get myself and a friend in free, I saw so many goddamn movies.

I would go see everything, 2-3 times.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ubik wrote:

How much is big hook monster in it?

I hope it's some.
    It's not at all as... mythical... as 300.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    MasterDebaterMasterDebater Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    let me check

yeah, I came in my pants sometime in there

MasterDebater on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    looks crud

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Urian wrote:
    TDL wrote:
    Holy shit that was a lot of awesome.

Nah. But your sig and av are awesome. I love that movie.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    Abdul the TerribleAbdul the Terrible Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    YYYAARRRGHHLLH!!

Abdul the Terrible on
    Ashban1.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    TDL wrote:
    Urian wrote:
    TDL wrote:
    Holy shit that was a lot of awesome.

Nah. But your sig and av are awesome. I love that movie.

that movie made me tear up a little bit

Raneados on
  • Options
    ferrets54ferrets54 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The classics student in me loves the Greeks, and the nerd inside of me loves the comic books.

ferrets54 on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    TDL wrote:
    Holy shit that was a lot of CGI.

:? You are kidding right?

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Man, you don't even need Frank Millar to make the Battle of Thermopylae awesome. You just need to open a text book and it's already all there.

ferrets54 on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Can I get this trailer from somewhere else? That site is not being nice to me

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    aaaAAAAAAAAAAAA

I just saw it.

What the hell.

I will murder him if he screws this movie up

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I am going to answer every question that it is applicable to for at least the next week by screaming THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAA!

I do wish they would drop the bollocks about an era of freedom though. The Spartans had a sort of communist system where their state owned the inhabitants of the surrounding cities.

ferrets54 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The single, overwhelming fact of Spartan history is the Messenean War. In the eighth century BC, Sparta, like all her neighbors, was a monarchy with a limited oligarchy. In 725, however, needing land to feed a dramatically growing population, the Spartans marched over the Taygetus mountains and annexed all the territory of their neighbor, Messenia. The Messenians occupied a fertile plain and the Spartans found themselves with more than enough land to support themselves and their newly conquered people. However, like all conquered people, the Messenians did not appreciate the loss of their independence. With the help of the city-state of Argos, the Messenians revolted in 640 BC. This was no ordinary revolt, for not only did the Messenians almost win, they almost destroyed Sparta itself.

Here's how the situation stood for Sparta at the end of the Messenian revolt. Almost defeated, controlling the territory of a subject population that outnumbered their population ten to one , it was only a matter of time before this subject population would overrun their conquerors. So the Spartans invented a new political system as dramatically revolutionary as Athenian democracy in the north: they turned their state into what amounts to a military state.

The Messenians were turned into agricultural slaves called helots . We describe their lives as the life of a "serf," for they worked small plots of land on estates owned by Spartans; part of their produce went to the master of the estate, and the remainder went to the helot farmer and his family. There's no question that the life of the helots was a miserable life. Labor was long and hard and the helots always lived right on the border of subsistence.

But Spartan society itself changed. The military and the city-state became the center of Spartan existence. The state determined whether children, both male and female, were strong when they were born; weakling infants were left in the hills to die of exposure. Exposing weak or sickly children was a common practice in the Greek world, but Sparta institutionalized it as a state activity rather than a domestic activity. At the age of seven, every male Spartan was sent to military and athletic school. These schools taught toughness, discipline, endurance of pain (often severe pain), and survival skills. At twenty, after thirteen years of training, the Spartan became a soldier. The Spartan soldier spent his life with his fellow soldiers; he lived in barracks and ate all his meals with his fellow soldiers. He also married, but he didn't live with his wife; one Athenian once joked that Spartans had children before they even saw the face of their wives. The marriage ceremony had an unusual ritual involved: at the end of the ceremony, the man carried his wife off as if he were taking her by force (this did not mean, however, that the status of women was bad in Sparta, as we shall see later). Only at the age of thirty, did the Spartan become an "equal," and was allowed to live in his own house with his own family—although he continued to serve in the military. Military service ended at the age of sixty. How did the soldier survive? How did Sparta afford to feed young men who did nothing but soldier in their twenties? Each soldier was granted a piece of land, which he probably never saw; this land was farmed, of course, by the helots.

The life of a Spartan male was a life of discipline, self-denial, and simplicity. The Spartans viewed themselves as the true inheritors of the Greek tradition. They did not surround themselves with luxuries, expensive foods, or opportunities for leisure. And this, I think, is the key to understanding the Spartans. While the Athenians and many others thought the Spartans were insane, the life of the Spartans seemed to hark back to a more basic way of life. Discipline, simplicity, and self-denial always remained ideals in the Greek and Roman worlds; civilization was often seen as bringing disorder, ennervation, weakness, and a decline in moral values. The Spartan, however, could point to Spartan society and argue that moral values and human courage and strength was as great as it was before civilization. Spartan society, then, exercised a profound pull on the surrounding city-states who admired the simplicity, discipline, and order of Spartan life.

The ideology of Sparta was oriented around the state. The individual lived (and died) for the state. Their lives were designed to serve the state from their beginning to the age of sixty. The combination of this ideology, the education of Spartan males, and the disciplined maintenance of a standing army gave the Spartans the stability that had been threatened so dramatically in the Messenean revolt.

Paradoxically, this soldier-centered state was the most liberal state in regards to the status of women. While women did not go through military training, they were required to be educated along similar lines. The Spartans were the only Greeks not only to take seriously the education of women, they instituted it as state policy. This was not, however, an academic education (just as the education of males was not an academic education); it was a physical education which could be grueling. Infant girls were also exposed to die if they were judged to be weak; they were later subject to physical and gymnastics training. This education also involved teaching women that their lives should be dedicated to the state. In most Greek states, women were required to stay indoors at all times (though only the upper classes could afford to observe this custom); Spartan women, however, were free to move about, and had an unusual amount of domestic freedom for their husbands, after all, didn't live at home.

Spartan society was divided into three main classes. At the top was the Spartiate, or native Spartan, who could trace his or her ancestry back to the original inhabitants of the city. The Spartiate served in the army and was the only person who enjoyed the full political and legal rights of the state. Below the Spartiates wer the perioeci , or "dwellers around or about." These were foreign people who served as a kind of buffer population between the Spartans and the helots. Because of this vital function, they were accorded a great deal of freedom. Most of the trade and commerce carried out in Sparta were performed by the perioeci . At the bottom, of course, were the helots.

Spartan government was an odd affair, but its overwhelming characteristic was stability . The Spartans, in fact, had the most stable government in the history of ancient Greece (some historians call this stability, "political stagnation"). At the top of government was the monarchy; the monarchy, however, was a dual monarchy. Below the monarchy was a council which was composed of the two kings plus twenty-eight nobles, all of whom were over sixty, that is, retired from the military. The council debated and set legislative and foreign policy, and was the supreme criminal court. Below the council (or above it), was an assembly of all the Spartiate males (a democracy, in other words) that selected the council and approved or vetoed council proposals. Above them all, however, was a small group of five men known as the ephorate . For all practical purposes, Spartan government was the ephorate, for these five men led the council, ran the military, ran the educational system, ran the infant selection system, and had veto power over everything coming out of the council or the assembly. They even had power to depose the king; however, they needed powerful divine proof (in the form of omens or oracles) to exercise this power. So what kind of government was Spartan government? It was a democratic timocratic monarchical oligarchy. Chew on that a few times.

The anxiety-ridden situation with the helots led the Spartans to fear even their neighbors, who were often sticking their spoons in that pot to brew up trouble. So in the sixth century BC, the Spartans began to set their military sights on neighboring states. However, when they conquered their neighbor, Tegea, they set up a truce with them rather than annex their land and people. They demanded instead an alliance. Tegea would follow Sparta in all its foreign relationships, including wars, and would supply Sparta with a fixed amount of soldiers and equipment. In exchange, the Tegeans could remain an independent state. This was a brilliant move on the part of the Spartans. In a short time, Sparta had formed alliances with a huge number of states in the southern part of Greece (called the Peloponnesus), and had become the major power in Greece when the Persians invaded in 490 BC. Their power eclipsed that of even their powerful neighbor in the north, Athens.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yeah but freedom is still not the thing they would be yelling as they charged at a Persian army.

"Blood for the blood God." Would actually be more accurate than that.

ferrets54 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I wasn't trying to prove anything at all

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Trailer makes my pants fit funny

AHH! on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    lets talk about how the greeks speaks american

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Man I have to write a Greek History essay for Friday. I was going to a nice, simple easy Athenian politics one but this may force me to do Spartan foreign policy.

ferrets54 on
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What the heck is that big Warcraft Abomination-esque guy at 2:12 supposed to be? The guy with the twin blades tipped with hooks lodged and chained into his fucking sawed off limbs? With the nose ring and the horribly disfigured physique?

So badass...

Ant000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Some kind of abominable monster who cuts people

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zzulu wrote:
    Yeah, why the fuck isn't this whole movie in ancient Greek? Goddamn you Hollywood!

[spoiler:ed26dedd83]Actually it's because Mel Gibson didn't direct it. Does it make any more sense when ancient peoples speak with a British accent?[/spoiler:ed26dedd83]

TankHammer on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    haha, spartans fighting for freedom

that's rich

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Zzulu wrote:
    Yeah, why the fuck isn't this whole movie in ancient Greek? Goddamn you Hollywood!

[spoiler:5b1c15a153]Actually it's because Mel Gibson didn't direct it. Does it make any more sense when ancient peoples speak with a British accent?[/spoiler:5b1c15a153]

all movies should be in the correct language, without subtitles.

That'd teach 'em

that'd teach em good

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zzulu wrote:

Spartan government was an odd affair, but its overwhelming characteristic was stability . The Spartans, in fact, had the most stable government in the history of ancient Greece (some historians call this stability, "political stagnation"). At the top of government was the monarchy; the monarchy, however, was a dual monarchy. Below the monarchy was a council which was composed of the two kings plus twenty-eight nobles, all of whom were over sixty, that is, retired from the military. The council debated and set legislative and foreign policy, and was the supreme criminal court. Below the council (or above it), was an assembly of all the Spartiate males (a democracy, in other words) that selected the council and approved or vetoed council proposals. Above them all, however, was a small group of five men known as the ephorate . For all practical purposes, Spartan government was the ephorate, for these five men led the council, ran the military, ran the educational system, ran the infant selection system, and had veto power over everything coming out of the council or the assembly. They even had power to depose the king; however, they needed powerful divine proof (in the form of omens or oracles) to exercise this power. So what kind of government was Spartan government? It was a democratic timocratic monarchical oligarchy. Chew on that a few times.

All I got out of that was the following:

pod_story1.jpg

WE'LL LEAD AS TWO KIIIINNNNGGGGS!

Taramoor on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I definitely have to go see this

3.9.07 at least its coming out fairly soon.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Boner like a tree trunk.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    GRRRAAAAAAAAARGGGGGHHH!

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The fat blade hand guy reminds me of someone.

From some cartoon.

Dammit.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think pretty much any question in the world can be perfectly answered with THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAAAA.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So the director for 300 is the new director for the Watchmen movie.

Dammit.

They just don't get it.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Phonehand wrote:

Dammit.

They just don't get it.
    Eh. Watchmen seems to be one of those things like Neuromancer that they just can't get made.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Look, I really want a movie where someone yells "Blood for the Blood God".

This is okay I guess.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Phonehand wrote:

Dammit.

They just don't get it.
    Eh. Watchmen seems to be one of those things like Neuromancer that they just can't get made.
    Exactly

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Phonehand wrote:
    Phonehand wrote:

Dammit.

They just don't get it.
    Exactly
    Well, I mean "can't" in both senses. It's not a good idea, and it never gets done anyway.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    cowmeetcowmeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    FUCK YAHOO MOVIES

GIVE ME A PAUSE BUTTON SO THE WHOLE THING CAN LOAD.

The trailers shits out 3/4's of the way through, fuck yahoo movies.

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Phonehand wrote:
    Phonehand wrote:

Dammit.

They just don't get it.
    Exactly
    Well, I mean "can't" in both senses. It's not a good idea, and it never gets done anyway.
    I would think that too if it were not for the success of movies like V for Vendetta and Sin City.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg