As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

THIS IS SPARTAAAAA!!! (Official "300" Thread)

• Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    THIS

IS

SPAAARTAAAAAA

this needs to be reposted on every page of this thread. Pure awesome line.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jackal wrote:
    So who wants to take bets about when a group of Iranians will get pissed off about this movie.

this is one of the first things my dad said after seeing the trailer other then

holy shit when does that come out

Kovak on
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    i don't recall the persian army fielding rhinos and superpowered retards

but okay

[realspoiler:e198871889]The superpowered retard is a weak Spartan whose father kept him alive and trained him like he wasn't retarded. Now you've learned a valuable Spartan life lesson. Always kill the retards because they constantly fuck things up with their jealousy of those who aren't retarded.[/realspoiler:e198871889]

Also,

THIS

IS

SPARTAAAAAAAA

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Slapnuts wrote:
    Pony wrote:

but okay

[realspoiler:fe272b5a42]The superpowered retard is a weak Spartan whose father kept him alive and trained him like he wasn't retarded. Now you've learned a valuable Spartan life lesson. Always kill the retards because they constantly fuck things up with their jealousy of those who aren't retarded.[/realspoiler:fe272b5a42]

Also,

THIS

IS

SPARTAAAAAAAA

marvelsxmenangel1bv4.jpg
    I am in your av fixing your aspect rat10s.

jackal on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    b.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ß.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jackal wrote:
    Slapnuts wrote:
    Pony wrote:

but okay

[realspoiler:8adccbf774]The superpowered retard is a weak Spartan whose father kept him alive and trained him like he wasn't retarded. Now you've learned a valuable Spartan life lesson. Always kill the retards because they constantly fuck things up with their jealousy of those who aren't retarded.[/realspoiler:8adccbf774]

But I'll be damned if I know where the Rhino came from. I'd assume his name is Certain Liberties.

Also,

THIS

IS

SPARTAAAAAAAA

marvelsxmenangel1bv4.jpg
    I am in your av fixing your aspect rat10s.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Raneados wrote:
    I was wondering what the heck this thread title was about. So this is that movie about 300 guys that fought 3,000 or something in some narrow alley am I right?

300 Spartans and 700 Thespians vs about 2,000,000 Persians I believe
    As I understand it, there were 300 spartans left, the Royal Guard of the King, about 700 other greeks, and the number of Persians is greately debated but most put it between 200,000 and 400,000 men. So it was still a mind-blowing battle in reality.

I've read that the huge million+ number comes from counting all the support personnel that traveled with the army.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    I was wondering what the heck this thread title was about. So this is that movie about 300 guys that fought 3,000 or something in some narrow alley am I right?

300 Spartans and 700 Thespians vs about 2,000,000 Persians I believe
    As I understand it, there were 300 spartans left, the Royal Guard of the King, about 700 other greeks, and the number of Persians is greately debated but most put it between 200,000 and 400,000 men. So it was still a mind-blowing battle in reality.

I've read that the huge million+ number comes from counting all the support personnel that traveled with the army.

I'm sure the number also got inflated from thousands of years of re-telling. But yeah, when you have ~1000 guys, the difference in fighting 200 000 or 1 million is purely academic.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    THIS IS MADNESS!

<3 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    <3 wrote:
    THIS IS MADNESS!
    THIS

IS

A LOLLIPOP

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    <3 wrote:
    THIS IS MADNESS!
    THIS

IS

SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAA

Will this ever get old. Actually I think it already has with this very post. Im sorry.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    if i wanted to say sparta i would have said so

leave my lollipop alone

Faricazy on
  • Options
    NoomNoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Slapnuts wrote:
    Pony wrote:

but okay

[realspoiler:c5575d5a3f]The superpowered retard is a weak Spartan whose father kept him alive and trained him like he wasn't retarded. Now you've learned a valuable Spartan life lesson. Always kill the retards because they constantly fuck things up with their jealousy of those who aren't retarded.[/realspoiler:c5575d5a3f]
    The super powered axe throwing retard and the edward spike hands retard were not that retard you are talking about.
    The persians had a monopoly on tard strength.

Noom on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FeedusFeedus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The black guy was threatening the white people with slavery? What is this bizarro world?

Feedus on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Feedus wrote:
    The black guy was threatening the white people with slavery? What is this bizarro world?

Bizarro-World? No...

THIS

IS

SPAAAAAAAAAARTA!!!!

Pony on
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Feedus wrote:

Persians aren't blacks.

<3 on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    <3 wrote:
    Feedus wrote:

Persians aren't blacks.

Don't be a bigot, Persians can be blacks, too.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Crashmo wrote:
    <3 wrote:
    Feedus wrote:

Persians aren't blacks.

We all know black people come from harlem

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    ferrets54ferrets54 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Some black people would have been in the Persian Empire.

ferrets54 on
  • Options
    NoomNoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Gafoto wrote:
    Crashmo wrote:
    <3 wrote:
    Feedus wrote:

Persians aren't blacks.

We all know black people come from harlem
    Harlem was the cradle of civilization

Noom on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    Feedus wrote:

Bizarro-World? No...

THIS

IS

SPAAAAAAAAAARTA!!!!

ahaha oh god pony

yes

Kovak on
  • Options
    QuadropheniaQuadrophenia Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Was Frank Miller's graphic novel different from the actual myth? Because the trailers make it seem like Frank Miller came up with the myth.

Quadrophenia on
    I'm so tired of partying.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Was Frank Miller's graphic novel different from the actual myth? Because the trailers make it seem like Frank Miller came up with the myth.
    Slightly? I posted what scholars say are the actual numbers a page or two back. And obviously there weren't any giant saw handed retards.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Goddammit Pony.
    Made me snort, and now the Coke is all over the monitor.

[spoiler:7d2e4a4c9e]as opposed to the dead hooker where it is supposed to be[/spoiler:7d2e4a4c9e]

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    Slightly? I posted what scholars say are the actual numbers a page or two back. And obviously there weren't any giant saw handed retards.

Well I dunno. If it's small stuff, I think it's pretty stupid that they make it seem like Frank Miller thought up the entire thing on his own. I think even if the numbers are bigger and they have some stuff like rhinos and retards, the core story is still the original legend and they shouldn't be all "FRANK MILLER WROTE THIS! HE WROTE THIS! HE WROOOOTE THIIIIIIS!!!!!"

Quadrophenia on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Faricazy wrote:

Well I dunno. If it's small stuff, I think it's pretty stupid that they make it seem like Frank Miller thought up the entire thing on his own. I think even if the numbers are bigger and they have some stuff like rhinos and retards, the core story is still the original legend and they shouldn't be all "FRANK MILLER WROTE THIS! HE WROTE THIS! HE WROOOOTE THIIIIIIS!!!!!"
    Um.

What?

It's his graphic novel.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:

Um.

What?

It's his graphic novel.

Right but it gives me the impression that there wasn't the legend and he just came up with all of it on his own.

Quadrophenia on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:

Um.

What?

It's his graphic novel.

Right but it gives me the impression that there wasn't the legend and he just came up with all of it on his own.
    No it doesn't. What the hell are you talking about?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    chubschubs Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:

Um.

What?

It's his graphic novel.

Are you retarded?

chubs on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's pretty safe to say that you're an idiot if you think Frank Miller invented The Battle of Thermopylae.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    CorpseRT wrote:
    It's pretty safe to say that you're an idiot if you think Frank Miller invented The Battle of Thermopylae.
    It exists only in two places: in textbooks and in the minds of those who believe it.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    CorpseRT wrote:
    It exists only in two places: in textbooks and in the minds of those who believe it.
    I'm not saying it actually happened... I'm just saying that if you don't know that Frank Miller didn't invent Greek Mythology, you probably are an idiot.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    CorpseRT wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    CorpseRT wrote:
    I'm not saying it actually happened... I'm just saying that if you don't know that Frank Miller didn't invent Greek Mythology, you probably are an idiot.
    I assume you're not familiar with Bedlam.

What I said was a quote from him about evolution.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    CorpseRT wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    CorpseRT wrote:

I'll bet you a large number of people who see this movie have probably never heard of this myth before.

Quadrophenia on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    CorpseRT wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    CorpseRT wrote:

I'll bet you a large number of people who see this movie have probably never heard of this myth before.
    And?

I'll admit I haven't, and I went online and read up on it.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    CorpseRT wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    CorpseRT wrote:

It's not a myth. The tactics and concepts employed are taught at just about every military academy in the world.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    CorpseRT wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    CorpseRT wrote:

Who fucking cares? History is just a bunch of fucking stories, and it doesn't matter who tells them. How they're told and what actually happened are totally separate things.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    CorpseRT wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    CorpseRT wrote:

And?

It wouldn't annoy you if you came out of the theatre and heard some people saying something like "Man! Frank Miller was a genius to write this story! 300 against two million? Awesome!" Because it always annoys me when people don't know anything pertaining to history.

Quadrophenia on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    CorpseRT wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    CorpseRT wrote:

And?

It wouldn't annoy you if you came out of the theatre and heard some people saying something like "Man! Frank Miller was a genius to write this story! 300 against two million? Awesome!" Because it always annoys me when people don't know anything pertaining to history.
    No because that won't fucking happen.

Faricazy on