Options

[IC] Mage: The Awakening | Higher Education

14567810»

Posts

  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "I can vouch for the lad- she was casting vulgar magic right in front of the sleeper police officer, who was guarding the door. I tried to stop her by any means once the guard ran away, but she managed to complete the spell, taking the body of the student away into what seemed to be a realm of death."

    Thurston grimaced at that- he was not used to reporting defeat to anyone.

    "I can also confirm that the students that were kidnapped were returned without souls" he intoned darkly.

    El Skid on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "Different? How so? You and... Thurston, was it?... should certainly sit, as we will need to discuss this in greater detail. I suppose the rest of you should be made aware of this as well."

    Placing his cane aside, Stevens sits at the table's end with a grave expression. "This is an established member of our society you are directing most dire accusations at." He gives the door a glance at the stern knocking. What timing. "If someone could get that, I believe he will want to be aware of this as well."

    I take a seat at the table. "Everything had rust on it, even if it wasn't metal, the doors were closed and wouldn't open. There were... ghosts everywhere. I thought I was dead." Or worse. "There was this bulletin board with names written on it, the closer I came to it, the more of it there was, I signed my name and I was back at the doorway, like I never left."

    "Ah, sounds like you had a trip to the Supernal, son. I suppose that's a small benefit of this whole mess. However, that child..." A reluctant gesture at the phone. "Is a Mysterium Disciple. A practicioner of Death, if I recall... most unfortunate. What you see here is the Twilight, an otherworldly realm. Something I have limited expertise in... However, that happens to be Professor Landing's field. Perhaps he could be of assistance towards resolving that poor young man's disappearance.


    "As for Miss Roland... Erika, her name is. She has not attended today, though her acquaintance, a disciple of mine by the name of Maxwell, is still present, I believe. We must find her.

    More specifically, my friends, I must request that you all find her. I would ask that she be brought to us alive, so we may discern the full nature of her actions... and respond accordingly."


    "Colleen's not going to take that well, if she'll even buy it." Kendall responds from a distance, beside the door. "For her sake, I'll try to bring the kid alive... and maybe get the truth out of her. There's got to be more to it than that; she's not the type to go around stealing souls for no good reason. She's too bright. Oh, and this guy..."

    A wave at Thomas. "Says he's from California's Consilium, heard they had themselves a little political shake-up."

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "Erika and Maxwell. I knew there was something fishy about that pair." I leave it at that, not wanting to be the guy that rubbed people's faces in with an "I told you so." But now we have an objective. We have a name to go on, a target. It would be prudent to start immediately. However...

    "Considering how sensitive this matter is, don't you think this would be best kept secret?" I say to the Hierarch. "At least, until we can bring this Erika to the justice of the Consilium. No use stirring up this community with finger pointing, after all." That actually sounded like something A Guardian would say. Hmm, maybe I'm closer to them than I know after all.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "You have a good point, but on the same token, this is a matter that can't be kept in complete confidence, as I believe some members of the Consilium will be integral towards resolving this." A nod towards the doorway. "Officer Kendall, of course, can perhaps help you find some leads. Landing could help as a liaison in the Twilight, unless one of you has such a capacity. This is a girl well experienced in that realm, so I'd strongly advise you have someone on hand who is as well. Lastly... while Ms. Fields may not be as helpful, she has a personal interest in this situation. Due to her relationship, she will certainly want to know of this.... if she doesn't already. Young Erika is her Disciple."

    He rises once again, taking up his cane. "Yet as I have left this in your care, I will leave it to your judgment. Just tread carefully." Stevens was trying not to look his age, but he was certainly starting to feel it.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Niall merely stares, shocked at what everyone is saying. When he gets a chance to look at the picture of the girl, he reels a bit when he notices that he remembers her. Good thing he didn't hit on her then... apparently I'd've lost my soul.

    Delmain on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "I favor a fast, direct approach with this one. Judging from our unfortunate first encounter, this Erika seemed like the type that could be pushed, but was an explosion of fight or flight waiting to happen," I relate to the gathered mages. "I suggest we send someone here who can find her and hopefully track her actions. No fighting yet though. If she's as fond of the Shadow Realm as the Hierarch says she is, consulting Landing before any aggressive action seems like the soundest idea."

    "But that's just a suggestion, though." I turn to Grimnir, who seemed to strike me as the kind of person who would know how to talk strategy and tactics. "So, what do you think we should do? Whatever it is, we should move fast."

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thomas was hesitant to interrupt, but hated to be on the outside of a conversation. What exactly was going on here?

    He decided for now to hold his tongue. Perhaps if he continued to listen, he could piece together what had apparently happened.

    Rend on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "It isn't often we have ambassadors stop by." The Hierarch's attention falls on the visitor, regarding him from a distance. "We're not quite what you'd call established yet, so other regions seldomly take an interest in our affairs. Tell me, what might bring you to our neck of the woods? Not ill tidings, I hope." Opting not to intrude on the group's affairs, Stevens rises and approaches the two at the door, cane in hand.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    darksteel wrote: »
    "I favor a fast, direct approach with this one. Judging from our unfortunate first encounter, this Erika seemed like the type that could be pushed, but was an explosion of fight or flight waiting to happen," I relate to the gathered mages. "I suggest we send someone here who can find her and hopefully track her actions. No fighting yet though. If she's as fond of the Shadow Realm as the Hierarch says she is, consulting Landing before any aggressive action seems like the soundest idea."

    "But that's just a suggestion, though." I turn to Grimnir, who seemed to strike me as the kind of person who would know how to talk strategy and tactics. "So, what do you think we should do? Whatever it is, we should move fast."

    "Talking to Professor Landing before approaching Erika would be a good idea. Death magic isn't something you fuck around with, one or more of us could end up losing our souls if we go in unprepared. Beyond that, I think we sould talk to Ms. Fields about this as well. Not only does she have a right to know, but she could help us find Erika and figure out a way to bring her in peacefully. If we can avoid fighting her period then we're ahead of the game. Remember, we don't know the entire story yet, for all we know Erika could be being manipulated into doing this or something. Getting her to talk to the Hierarch would be for the best. After talking to them, we should do a little research on Erika, try to figure her out a little and at least find out where we could possibly find her. And none of this gets mentioned to anyone but the necessary people." Robert turned to the rest of the group, looking them over.

    "We should split into teams to get this done. I personally want to try to get this done today, give her less time to run if she should happen to get wind of this. If we all split up and meet up before approaching Erika to bring each other up to speed, we should be able to get more done. I would suggest myself and Gladius talk to Ms. Fields, as I already know her and it shouldn't be a complete stranger breaking this news to her. Thurston, you and your companion should talk to Professor Landing, as the both of you know what happened in that room and such insight should help him to figure out the best way to approach the problem. As for you others, if you could handle researching Erika, perhaps talking to friends of hers or something, that would be helpful."

    He realized he was assuming the leadership position, but was hesitant to do so. Beyond Claise, he hadn't known any of these people for more than a few hours. Partially out of respect, partially out of an attempt to not look pushy, he deferred to the others. "Anyone have any other suggestions? By the way, we should all get each other's cell numbers at the least so as to get in touch with each other and figure out a place we can meet regularly."

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Listening to Grimnir, Niall nods slowly as he offers advice. After he's given people suggestions on what to do, Niall stands up.

    "That sounds good to me. Anyone have any idea where this girl hangs out? Is she a student here? If so..."

    Niall reaches into his laptop bag and brings out his computer.

    "I can find her," he says, with a smirk.

    Delmain on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "She's not from the college, she's a junior high student." Kendall comments from a distance, before approaching the group. "Probably one of the local schools. Not entirely sure how someone that young got mixed up with all this. I'd bet Colleen would know where. Just keep in mind, she's a sharp cookie."

    The officer's attention soon turns to the produced laptop, then its owner. "Is that so? I've been having some issues with the network as of late, almost seems like outside interference. Don't suppose you would know about that."

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "Hmm, no, but I could take a look at it for you. Spirit of cooperation and such. You know... no big deal."

    Shit.
    Wits + Subterfuge (6d10.hitsopen(8,10)=0) I'm so down for some repeated attempt action

    Delmain on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "It isn't often we have ambassadors stop by." The Hierarch's attention falls on the visitor, regarding him from a distance. "We're not quite what you'd call established yet, so other regions seldomly take an interest in our affairs. Tell me, what might bring you to our neck of the woods? Not ill tidings, I hope." Opting not to intrude on the group's affairs, Stevens rises and approaches the two at the door, cane in hand.

    "No..." Orpheus says, his voice half trailing off. "No, not quite ill tidings. I just needed a bit of a change in scenery, you understand." He smiles, clearing his throat into his fist. "Now, I don't like to assume, but I gather you all have been talking about the disappearances I've been reading about in the local papers the past while."

    He thinks for a moment.

    "I would assume that, perhaps, you have more information than the media."

    Rend on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rend wrote: »
    "I would assume that, perhaps, you have more information than the media."

    I look up at the newcomer. "Yeah, we're forming a cabal to investigate further." Turning my gaze back to the others I ask "How exactly could she have been manipulated? Any hunches there?"

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Delmain wrote: »
    "Hmm, no, but I could take a look at it for you. Spirit of cooperation and such. You know... no big deal."

    Shit.
    Wits + Subterfuge (6d10.hitsopen(8,10)=0) I'm so down for some repeated attempt action

    Kendall seems unmoved by the offer. "You'll get a chance. We'll be talking at length about your 'experience' sometime soon."

    Rend wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "It isn't often we have ambassadors stop by." The Hierarch's attention falls on the visitor, regarding him from a distance. "We're not quite what you'd call established yet, so other regions seldomly take an interest in our affairs. Tell me, what might bring you to our neck of the woods? Not ill tidings, I hope." Opting not to intrude on the group's affairs, Stevens rises and approaches the two at the door, cane in hand.

    "No..." Orpheus says, his voice half trailing off. "No, not quite ill tidings. I just needed a bit of a change in scenery, you understand." He smiles, clearing his throat into his fist. "Now, I don't like to assume, but I gather you all have been talking about the disappearances I've been reading about in the local papers the past while."

    He thinks for a moment.

    "I would assume that, perhaps, you have more information than the media."

    "Not a whole lot more, regrettably. Just what we've discerned from the information provided to us. While we have a unique insight, it hasn't yet lead us to an obvious source until now." Stevens appears burdened for a moment as he regards the group from the doorway. "It's far easier when you believe that wrongs have been committed by obvious enemies, and not trusted companions."

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »
    "I would assume that, perhaps, you have more information than the media."

    I look up at the newcomer. "Yeah, we're forming a cabal to investigate further." Turning my gaze back to the others I ask "How exactly could she have been manipulated? Any hunches there?"

    "Well, for one, blackmail. You'd be surprised the lengths people will go to to protect something dear to them whether its a person or a secret. Less mundanely, Mind magic could be used to control her. Until the possibility of her beind controlled is ruled out, we must assume she isn't working alone and possibly being coerced into her current actions. One of the reasons I believe this to be plausible is that while she was flagrantly using magic in front of a Sleeper, she didn't really try to harm Mr. Thurston. Most Mages wouldn't willingly use magic in front of a Sleeper, and most who would wouldn't hesitate to kill anyone who interferes with them." Robert turned to the newcomer and studied his face for a moment.

    "We know about as much as you do at the moment. We have a strong lead, but at the moment nothing can be completely ruled out. For all we know, several things are causing the disappearances. Join up with us, and you might find out the answer to your question yourself."

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thomas smiled, outwardly and inwardly. "Well," he thought to himself jovially. "Looks like things are a bit more eventful here in Gainesville than I had anticipated."

    A short pause after his brief reverie, he spoke. "If this is a threat to the mage community here in Gainesville, I take it upon myself as a member of the Adamantine Arrow to do anything and everything that I can to make sure that all dangers are taken care of, and all threats neutralized."

    He looked to Kendall sincerely. "Of course, as long as my superiors deem this course of action a wise allocation of my resources." He bowed his head shortly to Kendall in respect.

    Rend on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    "Hmm, no, but I could take a look at it for you. Spirit of cooperation and such. You know... no big deal."

    Shit.
    Wits + Subterfuge (6d10.hitsopen(8,10)=0) I'm so down for some repeated attempt action

    Kendall seems unmoved by the offer. "You'll get a chance. We'll be talking at length about your 'experience' sometime soon."

    "Oh, yeah, of course," Niall says, walking away to stand on the opposite side of the group and pop into the conversation the others were having.

    "Uh, if she's being controlled, couldn't it be from just about anywhere in the world? I mean, that's just about the only thing I understand about magic so far. Space doesn't matter, as long as you can get at the person."

    Delmain on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rend wrote: »
    Thomas smiled, outwardly and inwardly. "Well," he thought to himself jovially. "Looks like things are a bit more eventful here in Gainesville than I had anticipated."

    A short pause after his brief reverie, he spoke. "If this is a threat to the mage community here in Gainesville, I take it upon myself as a member of the Adamantine Arrow to do anything and everything that I can to make sure that all dangers are taken care of, and all threats neutralized."

    He looked to Kendall sincerely. "Of course, as long as my superiors deem this course of action a wise allocation of my resources." He bowed his head shortly to Kendall in respect.

    "I don't know how it is out west, but we operate like a community, not a corporation. We go about things mostly on our own. As long as it's best for the city, you won't find us intervening. You guys seem like you'll be off to a good start, so I'll let you follow your leads, and I'll follow up on mine." Kendall retrieves the unused cigarette, rotating it between his index and middle fingers before sliding it out of sight.

    "I'll get in contact if I learn anything, and expect you all will do the same. Me, I've got a librarian to look up." The officer heads through the door, and is gone.


    "It isn't quite as informal as he makes it sound," comments the Hierarch, as he watches Kendall go. "It is true that we are more passive in keeping order, though we do try to hold lessers accountable for their actions. However, it seems our method of governing is going to need reevaluating.

    Unless there's other information I could offer, I think it best for you to begin your investigation. Kendall is effective, but he can be... less than diplomatic at times, if you follow my meaning. This is a situation I would like resolved with minimal violence, if any."

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "I would be glad to help," Orpheus says to the Hierarch, looking him straight in the eye. "In fact, it happens to be an area of expertise of mine."

    Rend on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "Minimal violence is often the way to accomplish one's goals" said Mr. Thurston, who had been keeping quiet and taking mental note of everything that was said. "With this many eyes, ears and most importantly minds, we should be able to work something out so that we find out what's going on, maybe even without alerting the people we are investigating."

    He scans the room, looking at the various faces- and remarked on how young most of them were. "As long as nobody gets too...excited, of course."

    El Skid on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Joshua looks around, he doesn't quite understand some of what they had said, but there would be a time for questions after all this.

    "So, is there anything we've forgotten?"

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "I don't think so. If no one has any objections, I recommend we proceed with the roles I mentioned earlier. Gladius, we should be off soon. The sooner we contact Ms. Fields, the better." Robert turned and began for the door, deliberately walking slowly to allow for introjections,

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "Ok, then, so research Erika it is. And it looks like Murmur's with me, wanna go grab a coffee while I find us a place to start? Unless you have an idea to begin with..."

    Niall slips his laptop back into his bag and grabs his phone, fiddling with it's Map function till he finds the nearest Starbucks.

    Delmain on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mr Thurston scratches his chin"If there are any other soulless victims out there, she may well end up trying to take them as well. Her, or her accomplices... I think a few of us could look into that, if we have nothing better to do."

    El Skid on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    El Skid wrote: »
    Mr Thurston scratches his chin"If there are any other soulless victims out there, she may well end up trying to take them as well. Her, or her accomplices... I think a few of us could look into that, if we have nothing better to do."

    "Perfectly reasonable. Perhaps after talking to Professor Landing you'd be willing to do as such? Or are there others willing to do so?"

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    "Perfectly reasonable. Perhaps after talking to Professor Landing you'd be willing to do as such? Or are there others willing to do so?"

    Orpheus stands up, speaking purposefully. "I'm prepared to help in any way I am needed. If anyone needs or wants my assistance, merely say the word and I shall be at your side."

    Rend on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I join Grimnir heading towards the door, eager to get this task done as fast as possible so we could bring Erika to justice...or her safety, if it turned out she was an unwilling pawn in all of this.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Murmur gets out from his chair and hangs around Jack.

    "So, where're we getting coffee at, exactly?"

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "There'll be a Starbuck's around here somewhere, just need somewhere with free wifi because I don't feel like wrecking my 3G this month. Plus, it's less traceable," he replies, with a grin.

    "Oh, and because I always try to order a super mocha grande double vanilla lattecino because it almost sounds like a drink and I want to see someone try to make one."

    Delmain on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "Does Starbucks sell actual food? I've never been to one of those before." That was a stupid thing to say.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The hall outside the Hierarch's room has since become quiet, save for some distant audible conversation from the occasional side room. The skies outside the windowed hall have become considerably darker since before entering the room. It seems to be from the approach of evening, while some of the clouds appear especially stormy.

    Joshua's phone rings.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Joshua's phone rings.

    I reach into my jacket and open it, bringing it to my ear.

    "Hey, who is this?"

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Joshua's phone rings.

    I reach into my jacket and open it, bringing it to my ear.

    "Hey, who is this?"

    The call appears to be from a local number, without an attached name.

    At the other end can be heard a vaguely familiar voice, belonging to a young male.
    "You're getting in over your head, acolyte. Dive too deep and you're going to get buried."

    The line goes dead.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I look at my phone for a moment and smile. This idiot actually called me.

    "Great. My first death threat. This proves I have a future in journalism."

    I write the number down and hand it off to Mr. Thurston.

    "Now where have I heard that voice before?"

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    I look at my phone for a moment and smile. This idiot actually called me.

    "Great. My first death threat. This proves I have a future in journalism."

    I write the number down and hand it off to Mr. Thurston.

    "Now where have I heard that voice before?"
    It was someone you met very recently.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A realization comes to me.

    "Uh, guys, how did he get my number?"

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Already off with Claise, Robert began to search the building for Ms. Fields. He tried to appear non-chalant in his search, as he didn't want to give any observers cause for concern. Since he had decided to keep this on the down low until the suspect had been brought in for questioning, he didn't want to cause any trouble. Inside, he knew that if word spread of Erika's indictment in the disappearances, it could cause the fragile Mage community in this area to crumble into factional infighting.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The majority of the previously opened classrooms have since been closed off from view, without any hint of conversation behind them. Nearest to the elevator, a single door can be seen partially ajar.

    The weather outside has taken a sudden turn for the worst, with violent wind and rain striking against the windows.

    Though the interior seems unaffected, the storm soon takes its toll on the electricity. Within moments the lights begin to flicker, frequently pitching the entire floor in darkness.
    Anyone using a form of Mage Sight for additional awareness, let me know which Arcana you'll be making use of.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
Sign In or Register to comment.