Options

[IC] Mage: The Awakening | Higher Education

2456710

Posts

  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Why I did it's my own business. And that's your's, buddy, I just need a couple of bouquets sent to the hospital in a discreet manner. You know, get well soon kinda stuff."

    Delmain on
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Well. Doctor Landing. I AM interested in your course, but perhaps not in the way you wish. You see, I am not a student at the University, but an... observer. Your add caught my attention, and I wished to know more about what this special class entails and about how you will teach it. I was hoping you would let me watch as you teach it. I am doing a study of teaching methods and a specialized course is just what I need right now. I'm afraid I have little knowledge of medicine, and may have trouble grasping the advanced concepts of your course."

    The lies come easy to her tongue, flowing flawlessly. She flashes the professor another smile, her angelic face guileless and open.

    "I assure you that I will cause no trouble."

    Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Joshua sits down next to Alan, tired, exhausted, this was a dead-end, but he needed to see this, he needed to know what was going on, the kidnappings, his brother, everything.

    "Your friends want you to get better, they don't know what the hell's going on and neither do I."

    "Try and get better soon Alan, I have to go now."

    Joshua gets to his feet, pausing to hear if Alan says anything else, then begins to leave, stifling a yawn, his eyes tearing up, he needed to sleep.

    "Thanks officer. I needed to see for myself."

    Joshua went to the nearest vending machine, getting himself some cookies.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    A Sleepwalker offering assistance. Well... better than nothing. "I'll be forthcoming. Information is sparse at best. Whoever's behind this has taken pains to keep their profile low. I suspect they're Awakened, just based on how hard their trail has been to follow. Based on testimony from the victims... if it can be called that... the perpetrator is operating at night. Beyond that, I know little beyond tracking what happens as it occurs."

    At the mention of the Consilium, the officer tenses briefly. Not a pleasant subject.

    "The Consilium in this region is what you could call fractured, at best. More of a formality. Each representative of an order in the area serve their own interests, first and foremost. I, for one, fall in with the Arrow... yet as with the others, I have my own priorities to tend to. At the moment, the foremost is keeping this campus safe from unwanted intrusion. And at present, that seems to be a considerable threat."

    At least the Consilium won't be a hindrance to the investigation, especially if this man was right and the target was a Mage. I don't know a lot about Magi and their power plays, but I know they present an easily united front if they know one of their own is being targeted.

    "Judging from the secretive nature of this case, can I assume that something unusual happened to the victims? Can you tell me where they're located, see if I can talk to them? At the very least I should examine them with my Mage Sight. I might get a clue as to what affected them."

    Finally, I extend my hand as a gesture of friendship.

    "If we are working together, then we must know each others' names. I have already given you mine, so it seems fair that you give me yours as well."

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Delmain wrote: »
    "Why I did it's my own business. And that's your's, buddy, I just need a couple of bouquets sent to the hospital in a discreet manner. You know, get well soon kinda stuff."

    "You're asking a lot for a delivery, but whatever. What room? Give it a few hours.

    And it'll be $30 total."

    "Well. Doctor Landing. I AM interested in your course, but perhaps not in the way you wish. You see, I am not a student at the University, but an... observer. Your add caught my attention, and I wished to know more about what this special class entails and about how you will teach it. I was hoping you would let me watch as you teach it. I am doing a study of teaching methods and a specialized course is just what I need right now. I'm afraid I have little knowledge of medicine, and may have trouble grasping the advanced concepts of your course."

    The lies come easy to her tongue, flowing flawlessly. She flashes the professor another smile, her angelic face guileless and open.

    "I assure you that I will cause no trouble."



    "Oh? Well, that is interesting... but I have no intention of excluding those due to lack of enrollment in the campus. It is open to all that are interested, as advertised. However, it would be beneficial for your learning to have some interest in the field, due to the specialized nature of the course... otherwise, you could lose interest rapidly. Are you currently enrolled at another campus, perhaps? Why not tell me more about this study you're undertaking?"

    Withdrawing from the plant, the Professor gestures courteously to the nearby desk, at the opposing chairs. "Please, have a seat."

    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Joshua sits down next to Alan, tired, exhausted, this was a dead-end, but he needed to see this, he needed to know what was going on, the kidnappings, his brother, everything.

    "Your friends want you to get better, they don't know what the hell's going on and neither do I."

    "Try and get better soon Alan, I have to go now."

    Joshua gets to his feet, pausing to hear if Alan says anything else, then begins to leave, stifling a yawn, his eyes tearing up, he needed to sleep.

    "Thanks officer. I needed to see for myself."

    Joshua went to the nearest vending machine, getting himself some cookies.

    It isn't long before a brunette girl of around 16 approaches the vending machine, a dozen carnations in hand, balancing a backpack on her shoulder.

    She can briefly be seen gesturing at thin air while muttering to herself inaudibly.
    Spending a mana to cast The Evil Eye, Manipulation + Persuasion + Fate - the florist's composure

    6d10.hitsopen(8,10) → [8,8,5,9,5,3], 3 successes.

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2105116/

    Suddenly aware of the other person nearby, she looks up to the male with a cold tone, as if nothing had been going on before. "I'm looking for Room 103, Alan Reynolds."

    darksteel wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    A Sleepwalker offering assistance. Well... better than nothing. "I'll be forthcoming. Information is sparse at best. Whoever's behind this has taken pains to keep their profile low. I suspect they're Awakened, just based on how hard their trail has been to follow. Based on testimony from the victims... if it can be called that... the perpetrator is operating at night. Beyond that, I know little beyond tracking what happens as it occurs."

    At the mention of the Consilium, the officer tenses briefly. Not a pleasant subject.

    "The Consilium in this region is what you could call fractured, at best. More of a formality. Each representative of an order in the area serve their own interests, first and foremost. I, for one, fall in with the Arrow... yet as with the others, I have my own priorities to tend to. At the moment, the foremost is keeping this campus safe from unwanted intrusion. And at present, that seems to be a considerable threat."

    At least the Consilium won't be a hindrance to the investigation, especially if this man was right and the target was a Mage. I don't know a lot about Magi and their power plays, but I know they present an easily united front if they know one of their own is being targeted.

    "Judging from the secretive nature of this case, can I assume that something unusual happened to the victims? Can you tell me where they're located, see if I can talk to them? At the very least I should examine them with my Mage Sight. I might get a clue as to what affected them."

    Finally, I extend my hand as a gesture of friendship.

    "If we are working together, then we must know each others' names. I have already given you mine, so it seems fair that you give me yours as well."


    "Unusual is putting it lightly. Now hold on, what's this about Mage Sight? You'll excuse me if I think you seem to know a hell of a lot for a Sleepwalker, and you damn sure have no business meddling around with rotes. Who do you work for?" And just what was this guy? This reeked of a bad omen, and he didn't like those.

    "And the name's Kendall, Officer Kendall will do." The officer eyes the hand briefly, then looks back to Claise. He didn't see a good reason to make physical contact with this guy.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mr. Thurston hung up his phone, deep in thought. Was this a plot aimed at drawing him here? Unlikely; he hadn't done anything of late to merit this kind of attention. Besides, this wasn't his usual kind of job...at least not yet.

    I need more information, and maybe an ally or two to help me find it. The most likely place to start seems to be either with the faculty or at the hospital.


    Stopping in his tracks, he patted down his pockets and cursed quietly, as though he had forgotten something important. Muttering under his breath, he turned and limped back the way he came from, leaning heavily on his cane for support as he slowly made his way back towards the hospital.

    El Skid on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "Unusual is putting it lightly. Now hold on, what's this about Mage Sight? You'll excuse me if I think you seem to know a hell of a lot for a Sleepwalker, and you damn sure have no business meddling around with rotes. Who do you work for?" And just what was this guy? This reeked of a bad omen, and he didn't like those.

    "And the name's Kendall, Officer Kendall will do." The officer eyes the hand briefly, then looks back to Claise. He didn't see a good reason to make physical contact with this guy.

    I retreat my hand, disappointed, and sigh. It seems this will require some explaining.

    "I think we have had a misunderstanding, Officer Kendall. I am not your enemy. I am a Proximus. A Sleepwalker, as you say, but also a bit more than that. We have some form of magic, but not the same as Mages. We do not weave the pattern of reality as you do. I myself only have a variation on the Mage Sight, and nothing else. Rest assured that we are nothing but allies to Magi, especially one affiliated with the Adamantine Arrow such as yourself."

    I hoped that telling him this would ease his concerns a bit. If I did not appeal to his sense of camaraderie in Mage kind, then perhaps I would appeal to his warrior sense.

    "As an Arrow, you know, perhaps more than I do, of the value of fighting Magi enemies. We are of the same mind in this. I respect you as a fighter and share your single-mindedness in this case. As we are both hunting this outsider, can we not pool our strength peaceably and fight this menace united?"

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    "Why I did it's my own business. And that's your's, buddy, I just need a couple of bouquets sent to the hospital in a discreet manner. You know, get well soon kinda stuff."

    "You're asking a lot for a delivery, but whatever. What room? Give it a few hours.

    And it'll be $30 total."

    "I'm asking for a lot? Come on, all you have to do take two of these little happy bouquets down to the hospital and not leave a card. It's simple."
    Niall has Eidetic Memory. If the guy asks for rooms again, Niall will supply the room number for Alan and one random other victim, which he'll remember from the hacking earlier.

    Delmain on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "I... see. Well, you are certainly enthusiastic. Still, this is a part-time position, so I should inform you that wages will not be significant. However, for what is lacking in that respect, there will be a considerable amount of rare information at your disposal, as I traffic with innumerable texts and documents of an antiquated nature.

    Let us dispense with talk of work ethics for a moment. Tell me, where do your interests lie in the occult?" She sat back, paying no mind to the nature of his attentions, resting her arms on either side with a look that was of the utmost sincerity.

    She caught his attention with the word 'occult'. Had she meant to, or was it simply an innocent question? He decided to play it cool, as in reality he didn't know all that much about what the Sleepers would call the occult.

    "Well, I've been known to...dabble in it, you could say. Found some of it pretty interesting, although some of it seemed quite juvenile. Why do you ask? Will the job entail working with lots of occult books? Don't tell me you've got a copy of the Necronomicon penned by the mad Arab himself locked away around here?" He stopped with a wink and another grin. He hadn't sensed her scrutinizing his aura, so he was pretty sure she didn't know that he was actually a Mage. If she didn't know, than likely her question was completely innocent. If she did know, then she could be trying to unsettle him, see if he would panic at being discovered. Further pondering on that thought made him wonder even more. Maybe she was trying to provoke him? That didn't make sense, as even if she was more powerful to him she still had more to lose. With the use of a simple disposable ciggarette lighter he could easily burn this entire building down.

    He sat more upright in his chair, and although he maintained the grin on his face it was completely fake by now. He was on guard and now intent on discovering the nature of the woman sitting across from him.
    Scrutinizing Nature via Supernal Vision
    Intelligence(3) + Occult (-3) + 1 + 1 point of Willpower (3) = 4 dice
    4d10.hitsopen(8,10)=1 Success
    Prompts reflexive roll of Wits + Composure to sense the scrutiny

    So she was Awakened, wasn't she? Now that he knew this, he didn't quite relax his guard. He did decide he need not do anything rash--yet--but that didn't mean he might not need to jump to action. His master had thought him that to trust another mage without getting to know them first was to invite death.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    darksteel wrote: »
    I retreat my hand, disappointed, and sigh. It seems this will require some explaining.

    "I think we have had a misunderstanding, Officer Kendall. I am not your enemy. I am a Proximus. A Sleepwalker, as you say, but also a bit more than that. We have some form of magic, but not the same as Mages. We do not weave the pattern of reality as you do. I myself only have a variation on the Mage Sight, and nothing else. Rest assured that we are nothing but allies to Magi, especially one affiliated with the Adamantine Arrow such as yourself."

    I hoped that telling him this would ease his concerns a bit. If I did not appeal to his sense of camaraderie in Mage kind, then perhaps I would appeal to his warrior sense.

    "As an Arrow, you know, perhaps more than I do, of the value of fighting Magi enemies. We are of the same mind in this. I respect you as a fighter and share your single-mindedness in this case. As we are both hunting this outsider, can we not pool our strength peaceably and fight this menace united?"

    "I think I've heard of your kind before. At least you're not a left-hander, or so they say. Investigate as you will, Claise. You seem like you could do more good than harm."

    Kendall turned to the computer at his side, bringing it back to life with a touch of a key, and opening a database program. "I suggest you start at night, around the dormitory area. Most of the disappearances have been happening there. And if you do, watch your back." Something was off about his records... a bad feeling. Hopefully he was imagining it.
    Delmain wrote: »

    "I'm asking for a lot? Come on, all you have to do take two of these little happy bouquets down to the hospital and not leave a card. It's simple."
    Niall has Eidetic Memory. If the guy asks for rooms again, Niall will supply the room number for Alan and one random other victim, which he'll remember from the hacking earlier.

    "...okay, fine." The florist gives his reluctant assent, waving the client off. "Give it two hours, and they'll be there." What was up with that hospital, anyway? Well, it was good for business.

    The distant roll of thunder can be heard, with an ominous darkening of clouds in the approaching distance. "That's weird, forecast said it was going to clear up tonight..."
    Alazull wrote: »
    She caught his attention with the word 'occult'. Had she meant to, or was it simply an innocent question? He decided to play it cool, as in reality he didn't know all that much about what the Sleepers would call the occult.

    "Well, I've been known to...dabble in it, you could say. Found some of it pretty interesting, although some of it seemed quite juvenile. Why do you ask? Will the job entail working with lots of occult books? Don't tell me you've got a copy of the Necronomicon penned by the mad Arab himself locked away around here?" He stopped with a wink and another grin. He hadn't sensed her scrutinizing his aura, so he was pretty sure she didn't know that he was actually a Mage. If she didn't know, than likely her question was completely innocent. If she did know, then she could be trying to unsettle him, see if he would panic at being discovered. Further pondering on that thought made him wonder even more. Maybe she was trying to provoke him? That didn't make sense, as even if she was more powerful to him she still had more to lose. With the use of a simple disposable ciggarette lighter he could easily burn this entire building down.

    He sat more upright in his chair, and although he maintained the grin on his face it was completely fake by now. He was on guard and now intent on discovering the nature of the woman sitting across from him.
    Scrutinizing Nature via Supernal Vision
    Intelligence(3) + Occult (-3) + 1 + 1 point of Willpower (3) = 4 dice
    4d10.hitsopen(8,10)=1 Success
    Prompts reflexive roll of Wits + Composure to sense the scrutiny

    So she was Awakened, wasn't she? Now that he knew this, he didn't quite relax his guard. He did decide he need not do anything rash--yet--but that didn't mean he might not need to jump to action. His master had thought him that to trust another mage without getting to know them first was to invite death.
    Her aura has myriad sparkles.

    "The Necronomicon? Oh, if only. Quite hard to come by, you know." For all one could tell, she was being dead serious. "You're correct, my interests in texts lean heavily in that direction. There's a great deal one can learn from the unknown, wouldn't you say?

    "Be that as it may, it isn't required for you to have an interest in that field, but it could be most beneficial, in more ways than one. So, what is your field of study, Robert? If you don't mind my asking."

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lee threw on clothes, gray undershirt, dark blue polo, blue jeans, and headed out the door. He might as well see this Dr. Landing and his plant class.

    "Oh yeah," Lee muttered to himself. "I can't wait to spend hours talking about plants."

    He lived right off campus, and so decided to walk. He slipped on some large dark sunglasses and nonchalantly made his way through campus. His pocket buzzed. He grabbed the cellphone and looked at who it was. He opened the phone and put it to his ear.

    "Hey Jones, what's up?" He asked. Jones was a good friend, one of the few Lee still had and talked to. Ever since the dreams started, Lee had rarely gone to class and barely spoke to his friends, only a few still called off and on, and mostly just about parties, since Lee was always down for a good party, it was one of the few times they could see their friend.

    "Hey man, big dorm party tonight. It's gonna be a good one."

    "Oh yeah? Where at?"

    "It's at Eps man, midnight. All the boobs and booze you can handle."

    "I'm there. See you then. I gotta go see Landing."

    "Landing? You taking that lame ass course?"

    "Yeah well, Steph's taking it, so, you know."

    "Yeah whatever man. There will be plenty of chicks at the party, what's so important about her?"

    "Nothing." Lee replied. "Just working on an angle, ya know?"

    "Sure sure, whatever you say. I don't seem to remember you taking a class just for a girl before. She'll probably be at the party anyways."

    Lee arrived at the science building. "See you there Jones." Lee hung up and hesitated. Why was he going to take this course? Just for a girl? Lee shrugged and went inside.

    He entered room 203 to see Dr. Landing speaking with someone else. Lee stopped just inside the door and waited.

    Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Suddenly aware of the other person nearby, she looks up to the male with a cold tone, as if nothing had been going on before. "I'm looking for Room 103, Alan Reynolds."

    Feigning an air of boredom, expectation, and betrayal, Josh looked up, and pretended to think about it for a second.

    "Oh, uh, low number, so it's by the nursing station, maybe the room with the officer?."

    She knows, oh fuck, she knows.

    Josh opens up his cell and looks at it mournfully.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

    Her aura has myriad sparkles.

    "The Necronomicon? Oh, if only. Quite hard to come by, you know." For all one could tell, she was being dead serious. "You're correct, my interests in texts lean heavily in that direction. There's a great deal one can learn from the unknown, wouldn't you say?

    "Be that as it may, it isn't required for you to have an interest in that field, but it could be most beneficial, in more ways than one. So, what is your field of study, Robert? If you don't mind my asking."

    He arched an eyebrow, "My field of study? I plan on majoring in history and minoring in anthropology. So perhaps you are correct, working around occult texts could provide some unique insight on ancient cultures." He looked at his watch and realized how late it was getting. He still wanted to make it to that science class, but at the same time he wanted to get to know this Mage, see if she could be trusted.

    "So, Ms. Fields, do you believe what is in those books exsists? In magic, that is?" He watched her expectantly. Perhaps it would be best to just reveal himself, but at the moment he wanted to play along a bit more.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "Oh? Well, that is interesting... but I have no intention of excluding those due to lack of enrollment in the campus. It is open to all that are interested, as advertised. However, it would be beneficial for your learning to have some interest in the field, due to the specialized nature of the course... otherwise, you could lose interest rapidly. Are you currently enrolled at another campus, perhaps? Why not tell me more about this study you're undertaking?"

    Withdrawing from the plant, the Professor gestures courteously to the nearby desk, at the opposing chairs. "Please, have a seat."

    "Mainly, I'm making a comparative study of group behavior versus individual behavior, but I am also interested in behavior in closed environments. Lately, I've been getting a lot of data on anxiety and fear around campus, what with all those strange kidnappings and the secrecy surrounding them. Also, some people plainly refuse to believe that such things happen or else they believe themselves invulnerable, because there are still people going around at night, alone.
    I am also observing the school's procedures and reglementations and performances for the Governor's office, but that does not concern you class... Why, look at me, prattling while you have guests waiting."

    Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "I think I've heard of your kind before. At least you're not a left-hander, or so they say. Investigate as you will, Claise. You seem like you could do more good than harm."

    Kendall turned to the computer at his side, bringing it back to life with a touch of a key, and opening a database program. "I suggest you start at night, around the dormitory area. Most of the disappearances have been happening there. And if you do, watch your back." Something was off about his records... a bad feeling. Hopefully he was imagining it.

    "It's good that we can work together Officer Kendall. I will try searching tonight, and will see what I can find."

    Having gotten his acknowledgment, I stand up and take my leave. This was, perhaps, the first real step of progress in this case. Tonight, if it made itself known to me, I'll see what manner of person or thing I would be up against.

    I make my way back home, to retrieve my weapons, prepare for my task, and wait. The weather seemed only to worsen in my time conversing with Officer Kendall. The clouds were a dreary overcast gray, and the wind scattered leaves and litter, making them tumble across the ground.

    But it didn't matter. I need only concern myself with the killing. The smell of blood mixed with the asphalt, and the sound of steel on flesh.

    I didn't know if it was the wind, or my unbidden thought, but I shiver.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Feigning an air of boredom, expectation, and betrayal, Josh looked up, and pretended to think about it for a second.

    "Oh, uh, low number, so it's by the nursing station, maybe the room with the officer?."

    She knows, oh fuck, she knows.

    Josh opens up his cell and looks at it mournfully.

    "Thanks." The girl continues past him, and heads into the room without a second glance.

    The officer, for once, doesn't seem compelled to get in the visitor's way. Probably the guy's sister paying a visit.
    Alazull wrote: »
    He arched an eyebrow, "My field of study? I plan on majoring in history and minoring in anthropology. So perhaps you are correct, working around occult texts could provide some unique insight on ancient cultures." He looked at his watch and realized how late it was getting. He still wanted to make it to that science class, but at the same time he wanted to get to know this Mage, see if she could be trusted.

    "So, Ms. Fields, do you believe what is in those books exsists? In magic, that is?" He watched her expectantly. Perhaps it would be best to just reveal himself, but at the moment he wanted to play along a bit more.

    "That's open to interpretation, really. I believe there's a bit of truth to be found in any facet of the occult. It's wonderous what a practioner can achieve when they believe their discoveries have merit, wouldn't you say?" As for her suspicions, she couldn't be sure of this person's identity... there was the possibility, of course, but nothing absolute just yet.

    "Ah, but I don't mean to keep you. Why don't you leave me a number or means of contact? To be honest, there haven't been many applicatants as of yet..." None, really. "I'll be sure to get in touch within a day or so. I still have a delivery issue to resolve. These publishers can be quite a pain, especially when I have such veiled contempt to contend with."

    "Mainly, I'm making a comparative study of group behavior versus individual behavior, but I am also interested in behavior in closed environments. Lately, I've been getting a lot of data on anxiety and fear around campus, what with all those strange kidnappings and the secrecy surrounding them. Also, some people plainly refuse to believe that such things happen or else they believe themselves invulnerable, because there are still people going around at night, alone.
    I am also observing the school's procedures and reglementations and performances for the Governor's office, but that does not concern you class... Why, look at me, prattling while you have guests waiting."

    "Yes, those have been most unfortunate... they have the local communities in quite a worried state. Both the educational and scientific ones alike. Most unpleasant business, but I trust it will be resolved soon enough. Campus law enforcement is quite capable, in my experience."

    The professor remained standing for the time being, as the second visitor was brought to his attention. "Greetings, you have good timing, I was just about to go into the nature of the course." Directed at the newly arrived student, before offering another gesture at the nearby chairs." If you'll have a seat along with this young lady. I don't believe you mentioned your name?" While finally taking the seat against the wall, he directs a patient look towards the female.
    darksteel wrote: »
    "It's good that we can work together Officer Kendall. I will try searching tonight, and will see what I can find."

    Having gotten his acknowledgment, I stand up and take my leave. This was, perhaps, the first real step of progress in this case. Tonight, if it made itself known to me, I'll see what manner of person or thing I would be up against.

    I make my way back home, to retrieve my weapons, prepare for my task, and wait. The weather seemed only to worsen in my time conversing with Officer Kendall. The clouds were a dreary overcast gray, and the wind scattered leaves and litter, making them tumble across the ground.

    But it didn't matter. I need only concern myself with the killing. The smell of blood mixed with the asphalt, and the sound of steel on flesh.

    I didn't know if it was the wind, or my unbidden thought, but I shiver.


    The officer deliberately ignored the vibrating of his cell phone until the kid was gone. "Learn something different every day... Yeah, what is it?" After a moment of hearing the voice on the other line, he found himself staring at the flickering monitor before switching it off. "...you said lightning just struck where?"

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I missed the response to Niall in the post. >.<

    "Yeah, it's Florida buddy, get used to it. It'll be cleared up in like 40 minutes, mark my words."

    As Niall walks away from the florist, he looks for a hiding spot from which he can keep an eye on the stall, even if it was out in the open. Niall had always been one of the "blend in in a crowd" types.

    He also looks up, noting the sky. Had the forecast been clear? His homepage must have had the forecast on it. He wracked his brain trying to remember.

    After a bit of walking around, an idea occured to him that would make this plan easier. He pulled out his phone and looked around the net to see if he could find out who owned that florist shop.

    Delmain on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mr. Thurston arrives back at the hospital, and wanders over to the floor where the young student lay. Sitting down in a convenient chair, he sits down heavily, obviously tired from his little walk.
    For now he's just watching who is coming and going. He left something upstairs if anyone asks what he's doing going back

    El Skid on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "That's open to interpretation, really. I believe there's a bit of truth to be found in any facet of the occult. It's wonderous what a practioner can achieve when they believe their discoveries have merit, wouldn't you say?" As for her suspicions, she couldn't be sure of this person's identity... there was the possibility, of course, but nothing absolute just yet.

    "Ah, but I don't mean to keep you. Why don't you leave me a number or means of contact? To be honest, there haven't been many applicatants as of yet..." None, really. "I'll be sure to get in touch within a day or so. I still have a delivery issue to resolve. These publishers can be quite a pain, especially when I have such veiled contempt to contend with."

    "Oh, well I hope that works at well for you. Here, I'll leave you my card." Mentally, he sighed. Such an overly formal thing to do these days, but his family was still grounded in plantation manners. "Go ahead and give me a call any time. I'm available just about any time of the day until fall term." With that, he stood to leave. "Goodbye Ms. Fields, and have a pleasant evening."

    He moved towards the door of the office. Hopefully he'd still be able to make the science class.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lee hesitates, wondering if he really wants to hear a lecture concerning a class about plants. He finally nods and takes a seat, glancing at the young woman. At least he wouldn't be hearing the boring information alone.

    "The name's Lee." He offers, settling back and waiting.

    Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Joshua withdraws to within view of the door, cell phone in hand, half open so that he wouldn't need to futz around with buttons before taking a picture, he would follow the lady he had seen earlier, she knew more than he did.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Delmain wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I missed the response to Niall in the post. >.<

    "Yeah, it's Florida buddy, get used to it. It'll be cleared up in like 40 minutes, mark my words."

    As Niall walks away from the florist, he looks for a hiding spot from which he can keep an eye on the stall, even if it was out in the open. Niall had always been one of the "blend in in a crowd" types.

    He also looks up, noting the sky. Had the forecast been clear? His homepage must have had the forecast on it. He wracked his brain trying to remember.

    After a bit of walking around, an idea occured to him that would make this plan easier. He pulled out his phone and looked around the net to see if he could find out who owned that florist shop.
    The booth is owned by a larger floral company, it's a side stand.

    With the weather seeming to take a turn for the worst, the florist takes that as his cue to leave. Not long after gathering the requested flowers, a loud crack of thunder reverberates through the area, and in a flash of light, the corner of the booth is set aflame.

    It took a moment for him to register what had just happened, and before long, the florist had taken a fire extinguisher to the resulting blaze. "Of all the damn luck..."
    Alazull wrote: »
    "Oh, well I hope that works at well for you. Here, I'll leave you my card." Mentally, he sighed. Such an overly formal thing to do these days, but his family was still grounded in plantation manners. "Go ahead and give me a call any time. I'm available just about any time of the day until fall term." With that, he stood to leave. "Goodbye Ms. Fields, and have a pleasant evening."

    He moved towards the door of the office. Hopefully he'd still be able to make the science class.

    "Much obliged. You do the same, and be careful out there." A frown cast at the closed door. Either her instincts were off about that one, or he just hadn't pieced together the given information. Nonetheless, she could always look into it later. She had her phone out within moments, redialing the same number from before. This business took precedent over that sort. Not like there was any sort of hurry.
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Joshua withdraws to within view of the door, cell phone in hand, half open so that he wouldn't need to futz around with buttons before taking a picture, he would follow the lady he had seen earlier, she knew more than he did.

    The girl can be seen staring at the prone victim, before setting down the flowers beside him. After a few moments, she begins gesturing in thin air in a familiar display, with a series of inaudible utterances.
    Casting Shadow Sculpting.

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2110365/
    [6,6,5,2,[10, 3],9,7,1], 2 successes

    An instant later, as a loud crack of thunder sounds, the room is suddenly pitched in complete and utter darkness.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "Much obliged. You do the same, and be careful out there." A frown cast at the closed door. Either her instincts were off about that one, or he just hadn't pieced together the given information. Nonetheless, she could always look into it later. She had her phone out within moments, redialing the same number from before. This business took precedent over that sort. Not like there was any sort of hurry.

    He made his way out of the library quickly, not exactly sure how long it would take him to get from this building to the classroom. Outside, he noticed the lightning storm, and made note of it.

    On his way to the classroom, he pondered the meeting he had just left. He knew Ms. Fields was a mage, but he didn't know if she belonged to the Atlantean Orders or the Seers, or even perhaps was a Banisher. He did know she was into the procurement of occult texts, which was perplexing to him. Most actual mages (from what he knew) shunned the majority of Sleeper texts on the subject. Also, certain things in their conversation seemed odd for a potential employer to be talking to a prospective employee. He still didn't know if she knew he was a mage or not. If she didn't, then it had probably been meaningless, and could be chalked up to some eccentricity on her part. If she did know, then perhaps she had been trying to tell him something? He racked his brain, trying to see if by remembering every detail of what he had seen and heard he might deduce some secret message or hidden meaning...

    Using his Eidetic Memory, Robert is attempting a Perception roll to see if he missed something.

    Perception: Wits (2) + Composure (2) = 4 dice

    4d10.hitsopen(8,10)=2 Success (hopefully).

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "Much obliged. You do the same, and be careful out there." A frown cast at the closed door. Either her instincts were off about that one, or he just hadn't pieced together the given information. Nonetheless, she could always look into it later. She had her phone out within moments, redialing the same number from before. This business took precedent over that sort. Not like there was any sort of hurry.

    He made his way out of the library quickly, not exactly sure how long it would take him to get from this building to the classroom. Outside, he noticed the lightning storm, and made note of it.

    On his way to the classroom, he pondered the meeting he had just left. He knew Ms. Fields was a mage, but he didn't know if she belonged to the Atlantean Orders or the Seers, or even perhaps was a Banisher. He did know she was into the procurement of occult texts, which was perplexing to him. Most actual mages (from what he knew) shunned the majority of Sleeper texts on the subject. Also, certain things in their conversation seemed odd for a potential employer to be talking to a prospective employee. He still didn't know if she knew he was a mage or not. If she didn't, then it had probably been meaningless, and could be chalked up to some eccentricity on her part. If she did know, then perhaps she had been trying to tell him something? He racked his brain, trying to see if by remembering every detail of what he had seen and heard he might deduce some secret message or hidden meaning...

    Using his Eidetic Memory, Robert is attempting a Perception roll to see if he missed something.

    Perception: Wits (2) + Composure (2) = 4 dice

    4d10.hitsopen(8,10)=2 Success (hopefully).

    She had made some subtle references to Awakened society, namely the veil.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mr. Thurston sits up in his seat as the lights go out in the poor ex-student's room. More than that...darkness seems almost to pour out of doorway.

    Maybe I came back just in time he thought to himself, standing up and walking casually down the hall towards the room.

    El Skid on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lee hesitates, wondering if he really wants to hear a lecture concerning a class about plants. He finally nods and takes a seat, glancing at the young woman. At least he wouldn't be hearing the boring information alone.

    "The name's Lee." He offers, settling back and waiting.

    "Well met, Lee. I trust you have an interest in the material we'll be discussing?" Landing gave a humored smile at the as-yet unnamed female. "I must have overestimated its appeal, since there has been less interest shown that I expected. Granted, it is the summer... perhaps students simply have better plans than devoting their free time to a specialized form of horticulture. I suppose it can't be helped."

    While resting his hands on either side of the chair, he kept his attention on the newer arrival. "I see it is getting late... and unpleasant out... so I won't keep the two of you long. For now, tell me, what do you think about the uses of plants in science? That is, I would like your thoughts on how they can best be applied for the good of modern society." The comment came across with an innocent curiosity. He wasn't out to quiz the two, after all.
    El Skid wrote: »
    Mr. Thurston sits up in his seat as the lights go out in the poor ex-student's room. More than that...darkness seems almost to pour out of doorway.

    Maybe I came back just in time he thought to himself, standing up and walking casually down the hall towards the room.

    The desired effect was in place, so the girl finally set about doing what she came to do.

    Disposing of the evidence.

    The girl is conjuring a Ghost Gate to the Twilight.

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2111940/

    7,4,7,2,3,2,[10, 9],9, 3 successes


    Paradox roll(Vulgar Magic):

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2111942/

    2 gnosis, 1 die:

    1d10.hitsopen(8,10) → [3], no successes, no paradox occurs.


    While the signs of her conjuring are not visible, her chanting is certainly audible.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

    She had made some subtle references to Awakened society, namely the veil.

    Even after going over everything in his head, he didn't dicipher much. She had been talking about Awakened society, but that only let him know she knew about Mages in general. Perhaps in future dealings with Ms. Fields he'd have to be more...direct in his questioning. During these mental gymnastics, he hadn't broken stride and eventually made it to the door of the classroom he was seeking. Hearing voices from within, he decided to enter the room quietly so as not to overtly interrupt any discussion happening therein.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dark was setting in, and I had already gone back to the house to retrieve my weapons. I was heading towards the dormitory areas, walking along a stretch of road in a ridge, giving me a commanding view of the nearby houses. There were, understandably, few people wandering around tonight. Day retreated from the roofs steadily as I walked, the dark only exacerbated by the worsening weather. Heading home earlier, I had even spotted a particularly violent flash of lightning. Not exactly the right time for someone to be walking alone at night, with the threat of being spirited away, but that was the agenda for tonight. I double-check my knife hidden below my jacket at my back, and the pistol discreetly holstered at my side, just to be safe.

    At last, with dusk firmly setting in, I arrive at the dormitory areas. I stand in front of the buildings, feeling the cold wind. I take a moment to take stock of my surroundings. I doubt this is going to be where I face the creature, but if it does turn out like that, I had best know my terrain.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Joshua cast a quick glance at the officer in the chair, shut his eyes, and nocked his ears toward the lady there. It was her, he knew it! He needed proof.

    He remembered the phone in hand, wondering how to take pictures witho-

    The flash. A plan formed in his mind.

    He reached for his pepper spray, phone in one hand, spray in the other.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The officer didn't seem aware of the lights going out until a few moments after the fact. "Lightning must have killed the power... " Just when the book was getting interesting. Reluctantly closing it over a bookmark, he glanced to the man. "Hey, keep an eye on things in there, I'd better get the nurse." With that he hurried down the hall, ignoring the old man on the way. It would later register that seeing him again was somewhat odd, but there were more important things to worry about with the electricity on the fritz. That kid wasn't about to die on his watch.

    _____________


    Just outside the dormitory, an older student approaches Claise, a beer in each hand. "Hey man, you here for the party? I hear it's gonna be wicked. Corona?" One of the two bottles is offered at him, in a gesture that seems both courteous and a little drunken.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Joshua looks around the hallway, waiting for an agonized moment before slinking toward the room.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The girl continued work on conjuring the gateway. It wouldn't be long now. Granted, she had never tried using the portal to dispose of something, but considering the nature of what awaited on the other side... why couldn't it work for that purpose as well?

    Attempting to have her actions remain unseen.

    Dexterity+Stealth, +1 modifier due to a skill speciality

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2113361/

    6d10.hitsopen(8,10) → [4,2,5,4,5,[10, 3]] = 1 success.

    (Ouch.)

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No turning back now.

    Joshua hit the button, a whirring sound, then a flash.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mr. Thurston reached the door almost at a run, his cane making loud tapping noises as he covered the distance to the door in surprising time. Peering into the darkness, he heard muttering coming from within.

    Someone was chanting in high speech. It sounded like a... gateway?
    Rolled Perception OOC, 1 success with the -2 penalty

    El Skid on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Just outside the dormitory, an older student approaches Claise, a beer in each hand. "Hey man, you here for the party? I hear it's gonna be wicked. Corona?" One of the two bottles is offered at him, in a gesture that seems both courteous and a little drunken.

    A drunk student. Just what I needed. No alcohol for me. Dulls the senses and clouds your judgment. I give a sigh of exasperation in his general direction, refusing the bottle.

    "No, thank you. I'd rather you tell me what this party is all about. And isn't anyone worried about all of the students that will be traveling at night alone after the party, what with the disappearances and all..."

    Which is, after all, the perfect bait for this culprit, if officer Randall's information was to be believed and it was indeed targeting lone night travelers. Who knows, maybe it was here now.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    No turning back now.

    Joshua hit the button, a whirring sound, then a flash.

    For a nightmarish instant, what the flash of the camera illuminates defies explanation. The young girl, with both arms extended over the bed, appears to have conjured a portal beneath the prone student. It is not yet wide enough to consume the student, but it seems to be nearing that point. As to what is on the other side... a glimpse into a realm that can be described only as deathly. A region devoid of life, colored in pale blues and greys, with drifting layers of smoke and material best described as ephemereal.

    A region the girl seems intent on sending the unconscious victim into.

    "This is no business of yours... Leave now, or join him."

    The conjuring is briefly slowed by the flash, then she resumes, continuing with the otherworldly chant.

    [Mr. Thurston:]
    The girl's nimbus is portrayed as a gathering of disembodied spirits, drawing nearer to the portal as it grows.

    darksteel wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Just outside the dormitory, an older student approaches Claise, a beer in each hand. "Hey man, you here for the party? I hear it's gonna be wicked. Corona?" One of the two bottles is offered at him, in a gesture that seems both courteous and a little drunken.

    A drunk student. Just what I needed. No alcohol for me. Dulls the senses and clouds your judgment. I give a sigh of exasperation in his general direction, refusing the bottle.

    "No, thank you. I'd rather you tell me what this party is all about. And isn't anyone worried about all of the students that will be traveling at night alone after the party, what with the disappearances and all..."

    Which is, after all, the perfect bait for this culprit, if officer Randall's information was to be believed and it was indeed targeting lone night travelers. Who knows, maybe it was here now.


    "Suit yourself bro." Just like that, the untaken bottle is tossed to a nearby student in a fraternity shirt. He opens the other for his own use. "What's it about? Nothing at all man, just a get together for the end of the semester, what with finals winding down. Sides, can't hurt to keep lots of company around with what's been going on lately."

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "This is no business of yours... Leave now, or join him."

    The conjuring is briefly slowed by the flash, then she resumes, continuing with the otherworldly chant.

    Joshua simply stares, jaw dropping, rational thought leaves him.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The sight in front of Mr. Thurston stuns him for a moment, but he quickly recovers. "What... What are you doing?? This is obscene! Stop immediately!" He shouts, as he begins to stride forward.

    El Skid on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "I am dealing with a matter beyond your concern, which will be finished shortly. I do not advise intervening. That's your only warning." Once the victim was through, she need only follow, and the time for that would be soon.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mr. Thurston hisses "If you won't stop, then you leave me no choice!", and with a flick of his wrist removes his cane sword from its scabbard, sending it flying towards the startled girl.
    Quick draw cane sword and attack:
    4 successes on the attack, 5 lethal damage base

    El Skid on
Sign In or Register to comment.