Options

[IC] Mage: The Awakening | Higher Education

1246710

Posts

  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Lets go take a walk" says Mr. Thurston to the much younger man, "And don't worry- You have absolutely nothing to fear from me."
    I dunno if CJ got back to you on that spell or if it was supposed to be me, but you're in no danger from Mr. Thurston, and he's not trying to hide this fact.

    El Skid on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Sure"

    Joshua goes with him.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "NO!" She got up in quick protest, a movement her pained reaction suggested a physical opposition to.
    "No... doctor, I can handle this. Just... get out."
    Casting Emotional Urging, attempting to make Niall fearful.

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2125080/

    6d10.hitsopen(8, 10) → [7,1,9,7,8,4] = 2 successes, VS a Composure + Gnosis(if applicable) roll from Niall.

    "Ohshitohshitohshitohshit," Niall mumbles as he runs down the hall back to the stairs towards the cops that were waiting at the other kid's room.

    Edit:

    Delmain on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Delmain wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "NO!" She got up in quick protest, a movement her pained reaction suggested a physical opposition to.
    "No... doctor, I can handle this. Just... get out."
    Casting Emotional Urging, attempting to make Niall fearful.

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2125080/

    6d10.hitsopen(8, 10) → [7,1,9,7,8,4] = 2 successes, VS a Composure + Gnosis(if applicable) roll from Niall.

    "Ohshitohshitohshitohshit," Niall mumbles as he runs down the hall back to the stairs towards the cops that were waiting at the other kid's room.

    Edit:


    The halls downstairs have since been emptied... no cops, or even a sign of any staff.
    Along the way, Niall can see the walls' texture shifting to green on white, flickering with ebony traces of binary code, as if a physical recreation of the matrix had formed where the walls used to be.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Seeing the walls shift in his frightful state shocks Niall even more until the traces of Code appear to him. He slows from his run, sliding his hand along the wall, feeling for something, anything, that would explain this. His fear is mostly gone, replaced with an intense, almost overwhelming curiosity.

    Letting his hand drift down and away as he walks from the wall to the waiting room, he looks around with bright eyes.

    Delmain on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The waiting room seems less chaotic than the halls, though there are still flickering traces of code, as if from peripheral vision and not actually part of the environment.

    Upon closer examination, the fragmented numbers and letters along the walls flow in an ongoing motion leading to the sign-in desk, at which they gather into a spiral which absorbs all the code it receives, leaving only emptiness at the center.

    Note that this is only from Niall's perspective. To anyone else, everything seems as it should.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Reaching his dorm, Robert began microwaving his dinner as he went about getting ready for the evening. He tucked his knife into his boot, and retreived his gun along with his back holster from a hollow he had made in the closet and hidden with his trunk. Putting on the holster and gun took about the rest of the time for the Hot Pockets, so he ate the dreaded fare praying to God Almighty to not get any intestinal distress from this crap at a critical moment. After cleaning up his refuse, he put on his jacket to hide his firearm. Looking in the mirror to judge his handiwork, he figured it wouldn't disturb anyone who didn't try to pat him down. Even if it did, he still had his concealed weapons permit, but with events of past years knew carrying a firearm on a college campus was...frowned upon, to put it mildly.

    The sun's dying rays illuminated his path to the Epsilon dorms. He planned to enjoy the party, maybe have a couple of beers, but at the same time he planned to act as a guardian for these students. Grandpa would've called it undercover work, but then again Grandpa only ever had to worry about some psychopath with a gun. That was child's play next to some of the things Robert's master had told him about.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Niall slows, turning his head side to side, almost basking in what really is his world. He allows his eyes to unfocus as he watches and almost feels the code slide towards the desk. He slowly walks towards the vortex and stares deeply into the emptiness.

    Allowing a second for any changes in this incredible landscape, Niall reaches towards the darkness.

    Delmain on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    Reaching his dorm, Robert began microwaving his dinner as he went about getting ready for the evening. He tucked his knife into his boot, and retreived his gun along with his back holster from a hollow he had made in the closet and hidden with his trunk. Putting on the holster and gun took about the rest of the time for the Hot Pockets, so he ate the dreaded fare praying to God Almighty to not get any intestinal distress from this crap at a critical moment. After cleaning up his refuse, he put on his jacket to hide his firearm. Looking in the mirror to judge his handiwork, he figured it wouldn't disturb anyone who didn't try to pat him down. Even if it did, he still had his concealed weapons permit, but with events of past years knew carrying a firearm on a college campus was...frowned upon, to put it mildly.

    The sun's dying rays illuminated his path to the Epsilon dorms. He planned to enjoy the party, maybe have a couple of beers, but at the same time he planned to act as a guardian for these students. Grandpa would've called it undercover work, but then again Grandpa only ever had to worry about some psychopath with a gun. That was child's play next to some of the things Robert's master had told him about.

    By that time, the hour was late enough that most of the students had already headed inside. Some favored the open get-together in the lobby, while others opted for one of the many dorms occupied by persons who would likely be up well into the night, a portion of which were running on an open-door policy of sorts.

    A few stragglers still remain outside, mostly fraternity or sorority types judging by their telltale outfits decorated with greek lettering.
    Delmain wrote: »
    Niall slows, turning his head side to side, almost basking in what really is his world. He allows his eyes to unfocus as he watches and almost feels the code slide towards the desk. He slowly walks towards the vortex and stares deeply into the emptiness.

    Allowing a second for any changes in this incredible landscape, Niall reaches towards the darkness.

    Beneath the darkness, the emerald letters and symbols abandoned by the fading blackness have taken shape upon the desk in the form of an outdated computer with an attached monitor. On display is a text-based program with a green on black interface.

    The flickering screen contains nothing but pages upon pages of neatly arranged names, alphabetized by column. Most are in English, but some are in all manners of foreign languages: Spanish, Latin, even the occasional Arabic, Korean, or Russian.

    At the very end is a blinking _ symbol, awaiting a command from the sole peripheral attached to it: an old keyboard made from aged hard plastic.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Beneath the darkness, the emerald letters and symbols abandoned by the fading blackness have taken shape upon the desk in the form of an outdated computer with an attached monitor. On display is a text-based program with a green on black interface.

    The flickering screen contains nothing but pages upon pages of neatly arranged names, alphabetized by column. Most are in English, but some are in all manners of foreign languages: Spanish, Latin, even the occasional Arabic, Korean, or Russian.

    At the very end is a blinking _ symbol, awaiting a command from the sole peripheral attached to it: an old keyboard made from aged hard plastic.

    Something beyond, or perhaps within, came to the surface, and suddenly Niall knew exactly what he would do.

    Reaching down and feeling the familiar yet foreign form of the keyboard beneath his fingers, he typed, simply, "Niall Gowen" and hit Enter.

    Delmain on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

    By that time, the hour was late enough that most of the students had already headed inside. Some favored the open get-together in the lobby, while others opted for one of the many dorms occupied by persons who would likely be up well into the night, a portion of which were running on an open-door policy of sorts.

    A few stragglers still remain outside, mostly fraternity or sorority types judging by their telltale outfits decorated with greek lettering.

    Robert worked the floor in the lobby. He grabbed a beer and introduced himself to just about everyone, taking extra time to chat up the women around the party. Mostly he made small talk, but to the fraternity boys and sorority girls he circumspectively mentioned the recent disappearances. Surely in such a tightly knit group someone would notice any abnormalities? All the while he kept glancing about with Supernal Vision, looking for traces of mana in the area. If the person responsible was a magic user perhaps they left a spell as a trap, or perhaps he would be able to see them begin to cast a spell.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It seemed like the party was starting, with more and more people flowing into the lobby. I enter the Epsilon building, careful to hide my weapons. No use causing trouble now. Especially having detected the presence of magic in the air. A mage was here, no doubt about it. Whether he was an ally or an enemy was yet to be determined.

    I walk through the lobby and close my eyes, tapping my index finger to them lightly. Just like that, I could perceive the Supernatural again. I stay in the periphery of the main crowd, in the corner of the lobby, trying not to socialize as much as possible. How these people could revel in a party like this while there was a criminal of possible Awakened origin kidnapping people was beyond me. But my job wasn't to preach to them tonight. Tonight I watch. So I stand in my corner, scrutinizing the aura of the crowd, and look for signs of anything out of the ordinary.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aside from the subtle traces of magic which signify the presence of at least one Awakened in the area, something about the building has a morbid aura. Similar to a funeral home, but no one seems to be in mourning. If anything, spirits are at a natural high. Yet there is a sensation of another influence at work, unseen to normal senses.

    From the outside, the man with the cellphone from before enters, hands shoved within the pockets of a hooded sweater while appraising the surroundings, as if seeking a familiar face.

    The majority of the students seem difficult to approach without appealing to them in some way, especially the girls. They're known for having notoriously high standards.

    Most are with a group, especially the sorority types. However, there are the occasional odd ones out waiting against a wall, nursing a half-empty drink while drowning out the wordless electronic beats which continue to pulse through the building. They're mostly of the forgettable sort, likely bookworms. Almost all of the high profile students are mingling or caught up in some form of dancing, or other physical activities; likely involving a significant other and an out of the way corner.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Aside from the subtle traces of magic which signify the presence of at least one Awakened in the area, something about the building has a morbid aura. Similar to a funeral home, but no one seems to be in mourning. If anything, spirits are at a natural high. Yet there is a sensation of another influence at work, unseen to normal senses.

    From the outside, the man with the cellphone from before enters, hands shoved within the pockets of a hooded sweater while appraising the surroundings, as if seeking a familiar face.

    The majority of the students seem difficult to approach without appealing to them in some way, especially the girls. They're known for having notoriously high standards.

    Most are with a group, especially the sorority types. However, there are the occasional odd ones out waiting against a wall, nursing a half-empty drink while drowning out the wordless electronic beats which continue to pulse through the building. They're mostly of the forgettable sort, likely bookworms. Almost all of the high profile students are mingling or caught up in some form of dancing, or other physical activities; likely involving a significant other and an out of the way corner.

    Robert sighed as he left the larger crowd in the lobby. Trying to work information out of these people was difficult, but he felt worse because he obviously was an outsider in the group. Sure, he was a Mage now, but he really didn't know anyone else who was besides Master and now Ms. Fields and Sleeper society still had its trappings. Working out of the temporary melancholy, he surveyed the room and noticed the man walking in from outside, and decided to scrutinize him. Something about him seemed shady and Robert wanted to stay on guard.
    Scrutinizing Aura on (hooded sweatshirt guy): Intelligence (3) + Occult (-3) + Willpower (3) = 3 dice
    3d10.hitsopen(8,10)=2 Success

    While watching the man, he approached one of the women standing against the wall, trying to make small talk. He didn't want to give the guy the impression he was staring, so instead he made sure to quickly scan the crowd for him every minute or so.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Jones!" Lee exclaims, clasping hands with his friends, glancing around the crowded lobby.

    "What's up, Lee?" Jones asks, red plastic cup in hand, eyes nearly glazed over. The man was already drunk.

    "I'm thirsty. Where can I find some refreshment?"

    "Follow me, I'll hook you up." Lee followed his friend to a dorm room where a couple people were chilling. Pleasantries were exchanged while Jones unveiled a keg in the closet, covered by a towel.

    "Anything harder?" Lee asked. Jones laughed, and reached into a desk, pulling out a bottle of whiskey in a brown paper bag..

    "It's gonna cost you though. Twenty bucks." Lee nodded and handed over the cash. He took the bottle with a contented sigh.

    "Thanks. Seen Steph yet?" Lee asked, opening the bottle and taking a swig.

    "I think so. I think she's outside smoking a cig." Jones replied, before leaning back and closing his eyes. Lee thanked him again and headed outside, paper bagged bottle in hand.

    He took another swig in the lobby, then suddenly stopped moving. His mind was whirling. It was like everybody had stopped moving, time had slowed down. He could see...Everything! And then it was over. People were moving again. He stumbled to the side into somebody. He apologized and quickly staggered outside, taking deep gulping breaths. What is wrong with me?

    He opened the bottle and took a long swig, gulping the burning liquid down. He wiped his mouth, calming down. He was nearly buzzing, and finding Steph seemed like a great idea. He licked his lips. He started looking for her.

    Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    Scrutinizing Aura on (hooded sweatshirt guy): Intelligence (3) + Occult (-3) + Willpower (3) = 3 dice
    3d10.hitsopen(8,10)=2 Success

    While watching the man, he approached one of the women standing against the wall, trying to make small talk. He didn't want to give the guy the impression he was staring, so instead he made sure to quickly scan the crowd for him every minute or so.
    The man's aura has traces of myriad sparkles.

    Either oblivious or uncaring as to the attention upon him, he retreats to a sofa against the wall, watching the main door, and waiting.


    The approached girl against the wall, a withdrawn sophomore with freckles and glasses, seems enthusiastic for the company.

    "So, what's your major?"
    "Jones!" Lee exclaims, clasping hands with his friends, glancing around the crowded lobby.

    "What's up, Lee?" Jones asks, red plastic cup in hand, eyes nearly glazed over. The man was already drunk.

    "I'm thirsty. Where can I find some refreshment?"

    "Follow me, I'll hook you up." Lee followed his friend to a dorm room where a couple people were chilling. Pleasantries were exchanged while Jones unveiled a keg in the closet, covered by a towel.

    "Anything harder?" Lee asked. Jones laughed, and reached into a desk, pulling out a bottle of whiskey in a brown paper bag..

    "It's gonna cost you though. Twenty bucks." Lee nodded and handed over the cash. He took the bottle with a contented sigh.

    "Thanks. Seen Steph yet?" Lee asked, opening the bottle and taking a swig.

    "I think so. I think she's outside smoking a cig." Jones replied, before leaning back and closing his eyes. Lee thanked him again and headed outside, paper bagged bottle in hand.

    He took another swig in the lobby, then suddenly stopped moving. His mind was whirling. It was like everybody had stopped moving, time had slowed down. He could see...Everything! And then it was over. People were moving again. He stumbled to the side into somebody. He apologized and quickly staggered outside, taking deep gulping breaths. What is wrong with me?

    He opened the bottle and took a long swig, gulping the burning liquid down. He wiped his mouth, calming down. He was nearly buzzing, and finding Steph seemed like a great idea. He licked his lips. He started looking for her.


    Steph is outside as promised. The exterior has long since quieted down, and only two or three other students remain outside in the dark environment.

    Steph in particular has struck up a conversation with a short-haired brunette girl, who refused the smoke she was offered.

    "Oh, Lee. This is Erika."

    The brunette gives a withdrawn wave, as if exerting the least effort she could.

    "She's from a local high school."

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As he walked away from the hospital, Mr. Thurston calmly spoke with Joshua, careful not to lower his voice or to appear furtive.

    "So, Joshua. Given how well you took the events in the hospital room, you are not a stranger to such occurrences? I was worried originally that you might not have been awakened to certain aspects of life, but I'm fairly sure now that this is not the case."

    El Skid on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    El Skid wrote: »
    As he walked away from the hospital, Mr. Thurston calmly spoke with Joshua, careful not to lower his voice or to appear furtive.

    "So, Joshua. Given how well you took the events in the hospital room, you are not a stranger to such occurrences? I was worried originally that you might not have been awakened to certain aspects of life, but I'm fairly sure now that this is not the case."

    "I just knew it was her. That she was involved with the kidnappings. I was going to try and stop her with a cell phone and a can of pepper spray. So, uh. Thanks."

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Highschool, that was a little sketchy.

    "How's it goin'?" Lee asked nonchalantly. He starts chatting with her, trying to smooth talk her, make her laugh, generally just get her to be interested in him. He keeps Erika in the conversation as well, just to be friendly.
    Presence 3d + Socialize 2d = 2 successes, 9,10, http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2127425/ reroll 10 = no successes

    Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There were people that were naturally suspicious. People that stood out from the crowd for some reason. I guess to some people here, that was me. I've not exactly been that social in this party, so that might have earned me a few hushed whispers here already. To me, though, it was that man in the sweatshirt. He had that air about him. So I focus my concentration on him, trying to get a read...

    Bingo. A mage. Two in a day was taxing on my nerves. It was hard to get a reading on his aura. He was in some sort of anger or lust, but it was hard to tell. Well, at least I have someone I can keep an eye on now. Was this the man I was looking for? Best not jump to conclusions. I'd just keep a close watch on this character, watch who he talks to, and see if he does anything suspicious.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Highschool, that was a little sketchy.

    "How's it goin'?" Lee asked nonchalantly. He starts chatting with her, trying to smooth talk her, make her laugh, generally just get her to be interested in him. He keeps Erika in the conversation as well, just to be friendly.
    Presence 3d + Socialize 2d = 2 successes, 9,10, http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2127425/ reroll 10 = no successes

    "The evening has been... complicated." Seeing that her presence was unneeded, particularly at the arrival of the boy, she soon passes them by to head towards the building.


    "Weird girl, like she was in another world." Steph's response is distant, her attention mostly fixed on the departing student before looking back to Lee. "Oh, the usual. How's the courses?"

    __________________


    The younger student can soon be seen entering the lobby. She appears immediately out of place due to the difference in age between her and the majority of the gathering, but she seems unfazed. Catching sight of the man in the sweatshirt, she heads in that direction without a glance to the rest of the party.
    Erika has a Suppress Aura rote in place.

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2127502/
    7d10.hitsopen (8, 10) → [3,2,1,1,5,1,2]

    First attempt failed, so, recasted:

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2127504/
    7d10.hitsopen (8, 10) → [2,8,2,8,9,[10, 7],1] = (4)

    4 successes. There will be a -4 on any attempt to read her aura.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The man's aura has traces of myriad sparkles.

    Either oblivious or uncaring as to the attention upon him, he retreats to a sofa against the wall, watching the main door, and waiting.


    The approached girl against the wall, a withdrawn sophomore with freckles and glasses, seems enthusiastic for the company.

    "So, what's your major?"

    A mage, huh? Robert positioned himself on the wall to be able to watch both the man on the sofa and the main entrance without much effort, and talked to the girl to keep up some kind of cover.

    "I'm majoring in history. I like to study old stuff and apply the lessons of the past to the future. What's your major?"

    A little small talk to keep appearances. To anyone who didn't have the sight, he would seem to just be hitting up the girl and spitting game, but unconciously he kept talking to steady his nerves. He may have just found the suspect, and he had never really fought a mage before. His insides were knotting in anticipation and in fear. Could this be his moment? Would he come out as the hero in this? He thought by to his Awakening, and felt a wave of courage that washed away his fears. If he could face that beast then he would fear no living man.

    After a few more minutes pass, Robert noticed the girl walk in and head straight for the man on the sofa. He didn't even bother scrutinizing her, and assumed she could also be Awakened. He watched intently, waiting for the first move to be made, unconciously laying a hand on his jacket to make drawing his pistol easier.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Attempted to scrutinize the girl (6-2d10)=no successes.

    A young woman walked up to the guy in the sweatshirt. Just for good measure, I focus intently on any mystical air she might have. But there was nothing. Well, not everyone a mage talks to has to be supernatural anyway. Either way, she didn't seem to care for the party, so whatever business she has here would be strictly with this man.

    I continue to watch, but I also prepare for trouble. Something told me things were about to get a little more exciting. I lean on the wall with hands to my back, conspicuously sliding my right hand beneath my jacket, fingers on my knife.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »
    As he walked away from the hospital, Mr. Thurston calmly spoke with Joshua, careful not to lower his voice or to appear furtive.

    "So, Joshua. Given how well you took the events in the hospital room, you are not a stranger to such occurrences? I was worried originally that you might not have been awakened to certain aspects of life, but I'm fairly sure now that this is not the case."

    "I just knew it was her. That she was involved with the kidnappings. I was going to try and stop her with a cell phone and a can of pepper spray. So, uh. Thanks."

    "I....see. Or more specifically, I don't see, because you seem to have answered an entirely different question than the one I asked." sighing as he limped along, he paused to compose himself and started speaking again: "I had been hoping to get another set of eyes and ears on this case, because it sounds like we have multiple people who are breaking all the rules, and who don't seem to care if they reveal a bunch of stuff to the world at large. I don't like that. Anyone who is like me shouldn't like that. Do you care? And do you want to help me try and stop it?"

    El Skid on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The man's aura has traces of myriad sparkles.

    Either oblivious or uncaring as to the attention upon him, he retreats to a sofa against the wall, watching the main door, and waiting.


    The approached girl against the wall, a withdrawn sophomore with freckles and glasses, seems enthusiastic for the company.

    "So, what's your major?"

    A mage, huh? Robert positioned himself on the wall to be able to watch both the man on the sofa and the main entrance without much effort, and talked to the girl to keep up some kind of cover.

    "I'm majoring in history. I like to study old stuff and apply the lessons of the past to the future. What's your major?"

    A little small talk to keep appearances. To anyone who didn't have the sight, he would seem to just be hitting up the girl and spitting game, but unconciously he kept talking to steady his nerves. He may have just found the suspect, and he had never really fought a mage before. His insides were knotting in anticipation and in fear. Could this be his moment? Would he come out as the hero in this? He thought by to his Awakening, and felt a wave of courage that washed away his fears. If he could face that beast then he would fear no living man.

    After a few more minutes pass, Robert noticed the girl walk in and head straight for the man on the sofa. He didn't even bother scrutinizing her, and assumed she could also be Awakened. He watched intently, waiting for the first move to be made, unconciously laying a hand on his jacket to make drawing his pistol easier.


    In mid-conversation, the girl continues stirring at the plastic cup in her grasp idly. She didn't even drink, why she took the cup she was offered was beyond her.

    "Veterinary science, for now. It's kind of dull, but can't be worse than history." She offers a humored smile, already noticing that her companion's attention was on another girl. Well, that hadn't taken long.



    "I thought I told you to be careful." The man made little effort to lower his voice as glanced up at Erika's approach, not that it was very audible within the lobby's noisy atmosphere.

    "I was. I didn't expect there were people that persistent... or prepared." Erika's focus seems to be on anyone but the older student, more concerned with her surroundings... ensuring no familiar faces are present. Her right arm continues to be draped across her midsection while taking the seat beside him, her left index finger tracing circles in random patterns upon the cushioned material.

    "It's a lesson learned." He sat back, glancing outside the nearest window. "You should try again later."

    "I will. Don't rush me." After a run-in like that, the last thing she planned on doing was hurrying into another one.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Joshua looks around for a moment, trying to remember what the question was.

    "I-no, no, I haven't seen anything like that in my life, I just saw her and I knew I needed to stay there until somebody else came, then, when I left I wasn't there."
    El Skid wrote: »
    Do you care? And do you want to help me try and stop it?"

    "I have no reason not to stop this." said Joshua from the dry reaches of his throat. He was starting to get a migraine.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sky arrives at the party, still thinking about professor Landing and his cryptic comments... Could he have been talking of a mage society ?

    The party is about what she expected, well underway even though it is still early. Food, sex, alcohol, drugs and mages. Her skin is tingling all over from the presence of so many awakened.

    Yes, exactly as she expected.

    Several eyes turn to her as she walks through the crowd, While there are several beautiful girls at a party like this, she has that special something that draws attention.

    After arming herself with some alcoholic beverages, she begins to "work the crowd". Engaging conversations, trying to subtly learn more, about the school, the students, the staff and that strange wave of kidnappings. Real social butterfly.

    Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The pair in the sofa probably thought nobody could hear them over the din of the crowd, but I certainly could. I had no idea what they were talking about, but judging from the impatient tone of the man, it seemed like something went wrong. The way the girl held her side hinted at some injury. This was all getting very suspicious. What task would a mage give a Sleeper that would get her injured? Why involve a Sleeper at all?

    At this point, I'm almost certain they're at least partially connected to these disappearances somehow. I had to act. Even now the man could be casting a spell that would put everyone here in danger. But how to put them in a position advantageous to me? Should I goad them outside somehow? No, that would most certainly be witnessed by everybody. Best to maintain concealment for now...
    Rolling to scrutinize Sky's aura=3 successes.

    But just as I was contemplating what to do, a new figure entered the scene. A girl, a popular one, seeing how she was a head-turner in the crowd. And...a mage. Complicated. This was getting too damn complicated. No telling how many more of these willworkers are in the crowd, considering my luck today. I would listen in to more of the man and woman's conversation for now, but whether or not I had any heretofore unrevealed allies in this room, someone had to make a move soon. And if no one moved, I would.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "We've been here long enough. We can resolve this elsewhere." The man rose to his feet, and headed for the door, though not without offering the incoming girl a wolfish smile.

    "See you around, sweetheart."
    Presence + Socialize

    5d10.hitsopen (8, 10) → [3,1,[10, 4],8,8], 3 successes

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2131934/


    The young girl went to exit at his side, merely shaking her head in silent annoyance, not giving the arriving female so much as a glance.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Joshua looks around for a moment, trying to remember what the question was.

    "I-no, no, I haven't seen anything like that in my life, I just saw her and I knew I needed to stay there until somebody else came, then, when I left I wasn't there."
    El Skid wrote: »
    Do you care? And do you want to help me try and stop it?"

    "I have no reason not to stop this." said Joshua from the dry reaches of his throat. He was starting to get a migraine.

    Sighing, Mr. Thurston waved the younger man along. It was time to go back to his place and change out of this suit... And plan his next move, now that his enemies knew where he was supposed to be staying.
    Planning on going back to his place (which turns out to be a small appartment, grabbing a fresh suit and then going out to get a new cell phone (with prepaid minutes and no contract). Let me know if this is interrupted at all, or if Erich's character wants to interrupt/comment.

    El Skid on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »


    In mid-conversation, the girl continues stirring at the plastic cup in her grasp idly. She didn't even drink, why she took the cup she was offered was beyond her.

    "Veterinary science, for now. It's kind of dull, but can't be worse than history." She offers a humored smile, already noticing that her companion's attention was on another girl. Well, that hadn't taken long.



    [\QUOTE]

    Watching the two leave, Robert turned his attention back to his companion, briefly noticing the girl from the classroom entering. He shifted his attention back to the girl in front of him. "Oh, sorry, thought it was someone I knew. But you're right, it probably is less dull than history. Your subjects are alive and breathing, mine are all long dead. At the same time, digging through the mists of the past can have its more scintillating moments. Speaking of interesting moments, I just realized I hadn't introduced myself. My name is Robert, and I just started going to school here." He offered her a grin, hoping she would buy the innocent lie.

    Nothing had happened yet. They had conversed, then simply left. As far as he was concerned, that was good enough for now, and he commited their faces to memory. Letting his hand fall away from his jacket and rest at his side, he thoughtfully nursed his beer. Two suspects, one for sure a mage and the other one Robert strongly suspected of at least being a Sleepwalker, if not Awakened herself. He relaxed a bit, but in the back of his mind he knew that the night was still young, and until every single one of these students was safely abed there was no guarantee that nothing would happen. In the meantime, he resolved to enjoy himself a bit, and talk to this girl he had just met. Why not? She seemed to be cute enough, in the bookish sort of way, as he thought back to Ms. Fields. Perhaps that naughty librarian kink could be worked out tonight?

    Hormones make one do strange things at times, strange things indeed...
    In case it's needed to get her to buy my little lie, I'll roll for Fast-Talk

    Manipulation (2) + Persuasion (1) = 3 dice
    3d10.hitsopen(8,10)=1 One success. Seems I'm not very convincing, but hopefully she'll take my word on this one.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm actually glad that the pair are leaving. It gives me an excuse not to be in this party anymore. I follow them only as far as the outside of the building. I briefly considered trying to tail them, but I knew I would just make a fool of myself if I did, owing to my lack of training in the matter. No, if anything had to be done, it would be done now, and directly.

    I crack my knuckles, and stride as confidently as I can muster towards the two, putting a hand on the girl's shoulder in a forceful grip.

    "Why leave so soon, when you haven't even gotten a drink yet?"
    Attempting to intimidate the girl, Presence (3) + Intimidation (2) = 3 successes.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    Watching the two leave, Robert turned his attention back to his companion, briefly noticing the girl from the classroom entering. He shifted his attention back to the girl in front of him. "Oh, sorry, thought it was someone I knew. But you're right, it probably is less dull than history. Your subjects are alive and breathing, mine are all long dead. At the same time, digging through the mists of the past can have its more scintillating moments. Speaking of interesting moments, I just realized I hadn't introduced myself. My name is Robert, and I just started going to school here." He offered her a grin, hoping she would buy the innocent lie.

    "Hm, I guess that's true... but they make us study the dead just as much as the living, it's not for the squeamish." She seemed willing to let the distraction go, judging by the smile that accompanied an outstretched hand. "Julia, second year. Are you from around here?"
    darksteel wrote: »
    I'm actually glad that the pair are leaving. It gives me an excuse not to be in this party anymore. I follow them only as far as the outside of the building. I briefly considered trying to tail them, but I knew I would just make a fool of myself if I did, owing to my lack of training in the matter. No, if anything had to be done, it would be done now, and directly.

    I crack my knuckles, and stride as confidently as I can muster towards the two, putting a hand on the girl's shoulder in a forceful grip.

    "Why leave so soon, when you haven't even gotten a drink yet?"
    Attempting to intimidate the girl, Presence (3) + Intimidation (2) = 3 successes.

    An immediate cringe follows the grip, accompanied by an alarmed look thrown in the man's direction. What did these people want with her!? "I don't drink. Go away!"


    "You heard what the girl said, man. Back off." The man almost seemed to be smiling as he moved to face their visitor, hands still resting in his front pockets. "You don't want this getting ugly."
    Casting Supernal Vision on Claise.

    8d10.hitsopen (8, 10) → [3,3,9,[10, 4],9,6,1,8], 4 successes.

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2132890/

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Joshua yawned, and stumbled off in the direction of campus, it was only a few blocks, after all.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    An immediate cringe follows the grip, accompanied by an alarmed look thrown in the man's direction. What did these people want with her!? "I don't drink. Go away!"


    "You heard what the girl said, man. Back off." The man almost seemed to be smiling as he moved to face their visitor, hands still resting in his front pockets. "You don't want this getting ugly."
    Casting Supernal Vision on Claise.

    8d10.hitsopen (8, 10) → [3,3,9,[10, 4],9,6,1,8], 4 successes.

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2132890/

    I relax my grip on the girl a little, turning to face the man. I look him straight in the eye, sizing him up in case it came to violence.

    "And I'm sure you don't want this getting ugly either. I'd advise you to take a good look at all the people still sleeping here before firing off one of your tricks, friend."

    I gesture my head towards the girl. "And I know she sure as hell didn't get that wound from running with scissors. How easy would it be for me to exploit it, hmm? How easy would it be for me to make it worse?"

    "Your move, friend. If you want to turn this into a fight, and I'll give you one."
    Intimidating sweatshirt guy, Presence (3) + Intimidate (2) = 0 successes. Ouch, wasn't entirely expecting that, but such are the dice.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Tricks?" The smile becomes a subdued laugh. "I don't need tricks for the likes of you. If you've got any, you better start calling them out. Children shouldn't mess with other people's property."

    His right hand finally came into view, gracefully unfolding a leather-bound switchblade.
    Maxwell's Initiative:

    1d10 → [1], + 4 = 5


    "This isn't the right place, let it go." Erika's tone could have been pleading, but she didn't put much effort into it. She knew the futility of trying to talk her companion out of situations like this.
    Erika's Initiative:

    1d10 → [5] + 7 = 13


    The dorm's surrounding area is a mixed blessing. There no longer seems to be anyone in sight, and the exterior has already become dimly lit due to the late hour.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Without hesitating, I draw my stiletto from its leather sheath. It's been so long since it last tasted blood, I hold it almost lovingly for a second. I didn't plan on putting it back in its sheath until it had spilled enough. I point my weapon at my opponent, who had already drawn his own blade.

    "You'll find me a better challenge than a street whelp, mage. Let us hope you perform likewise."

    This would be my first real fight. No training, no pulling punches, no hunting down the defenseless. Whatever reservations I previously had about fighting a mage, I would have to set aside for now. I lick my lips, and wade into combat.
    Without quick draw, drawing my weapon would be my action for the turn, right?

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's correct.

    "Cute." A cursory glance to the weapon, before his other palm came out, and sent an unseen force into his opponent's center mass.
    Maxwell is throwing a Telekinetic Strike at Claise.

    7d10, subtracting 2 for Claise's defense

    5d10.hitsopen (8, 10) → [3,2,2,3,2] = (0)

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2133746

    Strike fails.

    Paradox roll for vulgar magic:


    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2133760/

    2d10.hitsopen (8, 10) → [8,[10, 1]] = 2 successes.


    Bedlam Paradox is invoked.

    Maxwell's wisdom roll:

    6d10.hitsopen (8, 10) → [6,2,2,2,5,[10, 8]] = (2)
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2133771/

    Maxwell has been inflicted by the Narcissism derangement for the duration of the scene.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I barely dodge the blast of force. Fortunately for me, at this close a range, it would be easier to evade or turn aside any potential magical hurt that this man could lay on me. A small blessing, but one that may win me this little skirmish. I grip my stiletto, poising to strike.
    Attacking Maxwell = Strength(3) + Weaponry(3) + weapon modifier(1) = 2 successes. Subtract dice with defense as needed.

    EDIT: Oh wait, since I'm using a knife, you should probably roll another 1d10 for that since it's my weapon specialty.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

    "Hm, I guess that's true... but they make us study the dead just as much as the living, it's not for the squeamish." She seemed willing to let the distraction go, judging by the smile that accompanied an outstretched hand. "Julia, second year. Are you from around here?"

    "No, I'm from Savannah, up Georgia way. Came down here because I wanted a bit of a change of scenery. How about you? Where abouts are you from?" He noticed out of the corner of his eye someone following the pair out the door, which he thought rather odd. Perhaps another member of their group? Or the actual suspect? It seemed odd, but he resolved to stay inside in case something were to happen here. The greater number of students were inside. And this student, Julia, was inside too.

    He'd let them go, because if they came back with impure intentions he'd send them away in body bags.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
Sign In or Register to comment.