Options

[IC] Mage: The Awakening | Higher Education

1468910

Posts

  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Robert left the shower, feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day. While toweling down, he thought about the recent run in with the local mages. Perhaps he should do some research on them to get an edge? Undoubtedly a few of them had ways of accessing his own records, and more than likely had to study him. After reading over the Independent Alligator while breakfasting he turned on his PC and began to Google the names of Officer Kendall, Ms. Fields, Professor Landing, and Maxwell in conjunction with the University in an attempt to get any information on them.
    Researching aforementioned NPCs: Intelligence (3) + Academics (2) = 5 dice
    Going to spend two hours researching, so four rolls on this extended action.
    5d10.hitsopen(8,10)=1, 5d10.hitsopen(8,10)=3, 5d10.hitsopen(8,10)=0, 5d10.hitsopen(8,10)=2 6 total successes.

    Hopefully he wasn't wasting time, as he felt the need to visit the expo mentioned the other night.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    After cleaning my knife, and storing the bloodied cloth for later use, I immediately fell asleep last night. After the whirlwind of events in the dorm, I was about ready to drop into slumber the moment I hit my bed.

    It was only when I woke up that I realized that the knife I had disarmed from my opponent was missing.

    I set about to searching it, but concluded that I could have dropped it coming home last night. Oh well, no big loss. It was a cheap weapon anyway. I just hoped it didn't return to its owner somehow. With my blood fresh on the blade, the right magus could use it against me.

    My morning consisted of a few simple exercises and meditation, just to prepare for the day ahead. I scolded myself for panicking so easily in the face of magi last night, so I resolved to meditate and improve on my compsure. As always, interactions with my family remained limited. A few words here and there. Never anything long unless it was in training, and even then it was rare. Sometimes I thought that maybe I would always remain a question to them until my first success, as if I have to prove I was really a Proximus. It's just as well.

    Reading the Independent Alligator revealed a passage about last night's scuffle, which gave me a small smile. There was also the location of a gathering in the Political Science building, which was probably the get-together that Kendall was talking of last night. And something about an Alan Reynolds, who had gone missing. Another victim, perhaps? I write down the contact information on a piece of paper and keep it.

    Last night's altercation was a result of my ignorance of local mage politics. I had unwittingly attacked a Ladder mage. Despite knowing he was Consilium affiliated, I was still suspicious. I resolved to ask officer Kendall about him, just to ease my concerns, and if he knew anything about this new disappearance. After breakfast, I prepare myself and head towards the campus police station.
    Bringing all my usual items, plus the cloth I used to clean my knife. Might have some use for it at some point.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Finding a few hits on the names entered, Robert saved the information to seperate Word documents under a file he named "PoI". Persons of interest, indeed. After shutting down the PC, he began to ready himself for the day, putting on a dress shirt, a pair of work slacks, and dress shoes. He opted to leave the coat, as it could make him look suspicious on such a warm day, especially after last night. After making sure to bring along his wallet and cell phone, he departed to go check out the expo. Perhaps this was also the fair that Professor Landing had invited him to? If that was the case, then perhaps the luncheon was the cover for the meeting Officer Kendall had announced last night. Either way, he thought better of casting spells or carrying weapons with him today. If either were detected, it might send a bad message to the Consilium, and he had already made a bad enough first impression.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The police station appears the same as it had the day prior. Except before where there had only been one car, now there are two.

    Behind the office door can be heard the distinct, muffled sounds of arguing.


    __________


    The expansive hall of the Political Science Building's interior made the rally's occupation all the easier. While a few campus groups have booths set outside, the majority can be found inside the rectangular space, lining the walls with a few dozen isolated stands. At a glance, they appear to be mostly teachers or assistants offering material on new curriculum and courses.

    Some of the recruiters have less studious goals in mind, and appear to represent companies both local and national, among whom are a few familiar businesses, and representatives from various military branches. The only other points of note in the hall are several classroom entrances. At the far end past the rally, two elevators and an isolated staircase can be faintly made out.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Seeing the setup, Robert began to browse. He visited the booths related to history and anthropology, and worked his way along the sciences. After spending some time gathering information for his education, he went to the biology booth, hoping to see Professer Landing and get a chance to talk to him.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mr. Thurston looked at his new prepaid cell phone with approval. Opening it, he dialed a number.

    "Hello, Thurston here. Uh-huh. Yes. We have an...issue. I've switched phones- call me on this one if you need me from now on. The kidnappings are someone stealing souls. I investigated a bit, and was present when some girl stole back Alan's body- using vulgar magic in front of a sleeper. Tried to intervene and failed. Description: Female, looks about 16.." describing the girl in detail, Mr. Thurston shook his head. He hated reporting failure- it wasn't something he had to do often.

    "I'll begin looking for the girl- unlikely she's acting alone. Any further requests?"

    El Skid on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Some of the booths organizers seem less than enthusiastic, handing out fliers and going through predetermined spiels without much drive behind them. Most likely students seeking extra credit, or just bored in general.

    The biology booth is occupied by a younger student in a labcoat, seated behind a table while treating what seems to be a unnaturally large tomato plant.

    Without looking, the bespectacled youth addresses Robert in a distant tone. "Pamphlets are on the table, courses start next week." Upon further examination, he seems to be applying an odd blue chemical to the plant's soil with a syringe.


    From beside the elevator, an Arabic woman in traditional cloaked garb can be seen in wait, producing a cellular phone into view.


    [Thurston]
    "That is unfortunate." The voice is unmodified, and comes through as a deep feminine voice. "I must know about this artform the girl was practicing. Spare no detail. You need to come to the Political Science Building as well. You have time, but it is growing short."

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The police station appears the same as it had the day prior. Except before where there had only been one car, now there are two.

    Behind the office door can be heard the distinct, muffled sounds of arguing.

    The raised voices emanating from beyond the entrance of the station give me pause. It was the telltale sound of heated arguement. It probably has nothing to do with me, though, so I pay it no mind, and enter the door.

    "Sorry, am I interrupting something?"

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    [Thurston]
    "That is unfortunate." The voice is unmodified, and comes through as a deep feminine voice. "I must know about this artform the girl was practicing. Spare no detail. You need to come to the Political Science Building as well. You have time, but it is growing short."
    I can tell you what I saw: The girl was chanting in high speech, The girl's nimbus seemed to be a bunch of disembodied souls seeking out the portal she was opening. The portal itself was half formed when I got there, but beyond it was a realm of...death. Washed out colours, devoid of life and alot of smoke and similar...ambiance. Of course I could understand what she was chanting, so I could repeat most of the words if you need."

    El Skid on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    darksteel wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The police station appears the same as it had the day prior. Except before where there had only been one car, now there are two.

    Behind the office door can be heard the distinct, muffled sounds of arguing.

    The raised voices emanating from beyond the entrance of the station give me pause. It was the telltale sound of heated arguement. It probably has nothing to do with me, though, so I pay it no mind, and enter the door.

    "Sorry, am I interrupting something?"

    "Look, officer, we know you know more about what's letting on! The people have a right to know!" A woman who couldn't be mistaken for anything but a reporter can be seen in front of Officer Kendall's desk, holding a portable digital recorder. "What about that disappearance? What else haven't you told the students?"

    "They have all the information they need to keep safe. Now, if you don't get lost, I'll have a warrant on you for obstructing justice. Beat it. Ma'am." Kendall somehow manages to keep a formal approach from where he can be seen on the opposite side of the desk, seated with his hands rested over a closed notebook. At the sound of the arrival, all eyes turn to Claise.

    Especially the reporter's, who is already quick to turn on the new source of information, recorder in hand. "How about you? Are you a witness? You can tell me, don't trust this guy."

    With a roll of the eyes, Kendall can be seen retrieving his cellphone and placing a call, glad for the distraction.
    El Skid wrote:
    I can tell you what I saw: The girl was chanting in high speech, The girl's nimbus seemed to be a bunch of disembodied souls seeking out the portal she was opening. The portal itself was half formed when I got there, but beyond it was a realm of...death. Washed out colours, devoid of life and alot of smoke and similar...ambiance. Of course I could understand what she was chanting, so I could repeat most of the words if you need."
    "Twilight magic. It's a Death mage. They can't do much to a capable living person, but they can do a lot of harm to the unconscious and the deceased. This could also mean they are the ones responsible for the soul theft, but this is not certain. The girl could merely be their clean-up crew. Investigate her at every opportunity. Were you recognized? You must not needlessly alarm her until we know the extent of her involvement."

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    darksteel wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The police station appears the same as it had the day prior. Except before where there had only been one car, now there are two.

    Behind the office door can be heard the distinct, muffled sounds of arguing.

    The raised voices emanating from beyond the entrance of the station give me pause. It was the telltale sound of heated arguement. It probably has nothing to do with me, though, so I pay it no mind, and enter the door.

    "Sorry, am I interrupting something?"

    "Look, officer, we know you know more about what's letting on! The people have a right to know!" A woman who couldn't be mistaken for anything but a reporter can be seen in front of Officer Kendall's desk, holding a portable digital recorder. "What about that disappearance? What else haven't you told the students?"

    "They have all the information they need to keep safe. Now, if you don't get lost, I'll have a warrant on you for obstructing justice. Beat it. Ma'am." Kendall somehow manages to keep a formal approach from where he can be seen on the opposite side of the desk, seated with his hands rested over a closed notebook. At the sound of the arrival, all eyes turn to Claise.

    Especially the reporter's, who is already quick to turn on the new source of information, recorder in hand. "How about you? Are you a witness? You can tell me, don't trust this guy."

    With a roll of the eyes, Kendall can be seen retrieving his cellphone and placing a call, glad for the distraction.
    El Skid wrote:
    I can tell you what I saw: The girl was chanting in high speech, The girl's nimbus seemed to be a bunch of disembodied souls seeking out the portal she was opening. The portal itself was half formed when I got there, but beyond it was a realm of...death. Washed out colours, devoid of life and alot of smoke and similar...ambiance. Of course I could understand what she was chanting, so I could repeat most of the words if you need."
    "Twilight magic. It's a Death mage. They can't do much to a capable living person, but they can do a lot of harm to the unconscious and the deceased. This could also mean they are the ones responsible for the soul theft, but this is not certain. The girl could merely be their clean-up crew. Investigate her at every opportunity. Were you recognized? You must not needlessly alarm her until we know the extent of her involvement."
    She was definitely alarmed. I'll see what more I can turn up in the meantime, and I'll try to talk to her if I get the chance.

    El Skid on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    El Skid wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:
    El Skid wrote:
    I can tell you what I saw: The girl was chanting in high speech, The girl's nimbus seemed to be a bunch of disembodied souls seeking out the portal she was opening. The portal itself was half formed when I got there, but beyond it was a realm of...death. Washed out colours, devoid of life and alot of smoke and similar...ambiance. Of course I could understand what she was chanting, so I could repeat most of the words if you need."
    "Twilight magic. It's a Death mage. They can't do much to a capable living person, but they can do a lot of harm to the unconscious and the deceased. This could also mean they are the ones responsible for the soul theft, but this is not certain. The girl could merely be their clean-up crew. Investigate her at every opportunity. Were you recognized? You must not needlessly alarm her until we know the extent of her involvement."
    She was definitely alarmed. I'll see what more I can turn up in the meantime, and I'll try to talk to her if I get the chance.
    "If you can, mask your presence. If not, tread carefully. You would do well not to lose our only lead."

    The woman can be seen ending the call, returning to her patient stance between the two elevators.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "Look, officer, we know you know more about what's letting on! The people have a right to know!" A woman who couldn't be mistaken for anything but a reporter can be seen in front of Officer Kendall's desk, holding a portable digital recorder. "What about that disappearance? What else haven't you told the students?"

    "They have all the information they need to keep safe. Now, if you don't get lost, I'll have a warrant on you for obstructing justice. Beat it. Ma'am." Kendall somehow manages to keep a formal approach from where he can be seen on the opposite side of the desk, seated with his hands rested over a closed notebook. At the sound of the arrival, all eyes turn to Claise.

    Especially the reporter's, who is already quick to turn on the new source of information, recorder in hand. "How about you? Are you a witness? You can tell me, don't trust this guy."

    With a roll of the eyes, Kendall can be seen retrieving his cellphone and placing a call, glad for the distraction.

    Well...this was completely unexpected. Not being used to the attention, my mood immediately turns sour as soon as they take notice of me. This sort of clamor was the last thing I wanted on a perfectly good morning. That, and getting involved in the media circus this case was developing.

    "No, no, I'm not a witness. I don't even know what you're talking about, now get out of my way," I say in a frustrated tone as I push past the reporter, trying to reach Kendall's desk. When I had made my way to the desk, I face the reporter again, and cross my arms.

    "Well, are you going to leave, or are recording private conversations between people part of your job too?"
    Intimidating the reporter - Presence(3) + Intimidation(2) = 3 successes.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    darksteel wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "Look, officer, we know you know more about what's letting on! The people have a right to know!" A woman who couldn't be mistaken for anything but a reporter can be seen in front of Officer Kendall's desk, holding a portable digital recorder. "What about that disappearance? What else haven't you told the students?"

    "They have all the information they need to keep safe. Now, if you don't get lost, I'll have a warrant on you for obstructing justice. Beat it. Ma'am." Kendall somehow manages to keep a formal approach from where he can be seen on the opposite side of the desk, seated with his hands rested over a closed notebook. At the sound of the arrival, all eyes turn to Claise.

    Especially the reporter's, who is already quick to turn on the new source of information, recorder in hand. "How about you? Are you a witness? You can tell me, don't trust this guy."

    With a roll of the eyes, Kendall can be seen retrieving his cellphone and placing a call, glad for the distraction.

    Well...this was completely unexpected. Not being used to the attention, my mood immediately turns sour as soon as they take notice of me. This sort of clamor was the last thing I wanted on a perfectly good morning. That, and getting involved in the media circus this case was developing.

    "No, no, I'm not a witness. I don't even know what you're talking about, now get out of my way," I say in a frustrated tone as I push past the reporter, trying to reach Kendall's desk. When I had made my way to the desk, I face the reporter again, and cross my arms.

    "Well, are you going to leave, or are recording private conversations between people part of your job too?"
    Intimidating the reporter - Presence(3) + Intimidation(2) = 3 successes.

    The recorder falls out of sight, vanishing into a purse as the woman moves past Claise and heads for the exit. "Don't think you won't be reading about this! Cover-ups are news too!" With a resonant slam of the door, she was gone.


    "Yeah, I'll be running late. Complications." The call ended, and Kendall's attention was back on Claise. "Well, you've been busy. What now, another knife fight? Look, kid, I know you're trying to help, but you can't go around brandishing weapons on campus. It's bad news for everyone."

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Joshua sat at the chair, having found a hell of a lot less than he would expect for his efforts he wondered as to how she had hidden herself so well from the public eye.

    He went to the political sciences building, hands on his cell phone. He'd have to talk to his uncle about this later.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    El Skid wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:
    El Skid wrote:
    I can tell you what I saw: The girl was chanting in high speech, The girl's nimbus seemed to be a bunch of disembodied souls seeking out the portal she was opening. The portal itself was half formed when I got there, but beyond it was a realm of...death. Washed out colours, devoid of life and alot of smoke and similar...ambiance. Of course I could understand what she was chanting, so I could repeat most of the words if you need."
    "Twilight magic. It's a Death mage. They can't do much to a capable living person, but they can do a lot of harm to the unconscious and the deceased. This could also mean they are the ones responsible for the soul theft, but this is not certain. The girl could merely be their clean-up crew. Investigate her at every opportunity. Were you recognized? You must not needlessly alarm her until we know the extent of her involvement."
    She was definitely alarmed. I'll see what more I can turn up in the meantime, and I'll try to talk to her if I get the chance.
    "If you can, mask your presence. If not, tread carefully. You would do well not to lose our only lead."

    The woman can be seen ending the call, returning to her patient stance between the two elevators.

    Looking over at the woman besides the elevator, Robert felt slightly suspicious. She seemed conspicuous considering the surroundings. He made mental note of her, then turned back to the biology booth attendant and addressed him. "What's that you're putting on the plant? Some sort of feed?"

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Even having gone to sleep somewhat early, Niall wakes at his normal is-it-even-still-morning time and even showers and starts on breakfast before the events of the previous night are brought back by his growing wakefulness.

    Niall stands, leaving his cereal half eaten on the kitchen table, and decides to try something. He wanders back to the living room and turns on the TV, flipping to a news channel. Finding something suitable ("The weather today looks wet, bring umbrellas" surprise, surprise...), he focuses on the meteorologist on screen, mentally reaching through space in an attempt to experience the room being recorded personally.
    Gnosis (1) + Space (2) (3d10.hitsopen(8,10)=4) Forgot to remove 2 dice for sympathetic, only 3 successes.
    Gods that was an awesome roll.

    After a moment, the screen subtly shifts and the sounds of background actions as well as the smell of a TV set and the heat of the lamps begin to pour through the television screen. With a thought, Niall turns the view to look at the cameramen and other workers in the back of the set. His awe at what he had managed overwhelmed his concentration and a moment later, the screen returned to normal and the weatherman was signing off.

    Turning off the TV and contemplating ways to codify what he just did, he grabs his laptop bag and heads back to his bedroom for some more work. He starts by hacking into the police system again, looking for reports on what happened at the hospital the night before as well as security camera feeds, searching physically for Officer Kendall.

    Delmain on
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sky enters the Political Sciences Building, dressed with her serious-but-not-too-serious outfit. She walks around the... exhibit, looking for the actual political sciences professors, expecting to start the day with a more... familiar setting.

    Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    Looking over at the woman besides the elevator, Robert felt slightly suspicious. She seemed conspicuous considering the surroundings. He made mental note of her, then turned back to the biology booth attendant and addressed him. "What's that you're putting on the plant? Some sort of feed?"

    "Specialized botanical implant, enhances growth and provides specialized nutrients. Experimental. You into botany?" His attention was already on the visitor by that point, with newfound interest.

    Erich Zahn wrote:
    Joshua sat at the chair, having found a hell of a lot less than he would expect for his efforts he wondered as to how she had hidden herself so well from the public eye.

    He went to the political sciences building, hands on his cell phone. He'd have to talk to his uncle about this later.
    Sky enters the Political Sciences Building, dressed with her serious-but-not-too-serious outfit. She walks around the... exhibit, looking for the actual political sciences professors, expecting to start the day with a more... familiar setting.

    Neither of the two visitors make it far. A well-built man in formal white military attire catches sight and strides over, pamphlets in hand.

    "Hello there, you kids interested in the Marine Corps? We pay for your education, see the world. Here, have a brochure."

    Without waiting for a response, each hand came forward to provide one to each of the two arrivals.

    "Take a look, see what we have to offer."
    Delmain wrote:
    Turning off the TV and contemplating ways to codify what he just did, he grabs his laptop bag and heads back to his bedroom for some more work. He starts by hacking into the police system again, looking for reports on what happened at the hospital the night before as well as security camera feeds, searching physically for Officer Kendall.


    Kendall seems distracted for a moment, taking his attention off of Claise while looking over his computer. "Strange, there it is again."

    Contested action to prevent hacking.

    6d10.hitsopen(8, 10) → [4,5,2,9,6,6] = 1 success.
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2151073/

    :lol: Ouch. The hacking succeeds.


    [Delmain]
    The official police report has Alan Reynolds marked as an 'unsolved disappearance'. There seem to be no clues or leads as of yet.

    Kendall was not at the hospital that day, far as the recordings show, only an unfamiliar officer.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The recorder falls out of sight, vanishing into a purse as the woman moves past Claise and heads for the exit. "Don't think you won't be reading about this! Cover-ups are news too!" With a resonant slam of the door, she was gone.


    "Yeah, I'll be running late. Complications." The call ended, and Kendall's attention was back on Claise. "Well, you've been busy. What now, another knife fight? Look, kid, I know you're trying to help, but you can't go around brandishing weapons on campus. It's bad news for everyone."

    "Yeah, I know, and I'm sorry. I did approach them with the intent to ask questions, but then that guy had to pull a knife. And I'm not one to back down from a fight. But anyway, I'm sorry and I'm not gonna make that mistake again."

    My wound throbs for a moment, and I touch it for a moment, trying to dull the pain. It hadn't yet fully healed, but it wouldn't be a hindrance today. Which reminded me.

    "There was something fishy about them, though. I mean, she was trying to hide it, but it was plain as day that the girl had an injury when she came to the party. And not a minor one too. She was cradling it like it was fresh. And this guy didn't even care. You can't tell me there's nothing wrong with that."

    "Who exactly are they, anyway? Like, what's their standing in the Consilium? Are they part of a cabal..."
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Kendall seems distracted for a moment, taking his attention off of Claise while looking over his computer. "Strange, there it is again."

    Contested action to prevent hacking.

    6d10.hitsopen(8, 10) → [4,5,2,9,6,6] = 1 success.
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2151073/

    :lol: Ouch. The hacking succeeds.

    Before I could finish my question though, Kendall returns to his computer, seemingly troubled by something.

    "Is there something wrong?"

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

    "Specialized botanical implant, enhances growth and provides specialized nutrients. Experimental. You into botany?" His attention was already on the visitor by that point, with newfound interest.


    "I studied it back in high school, found it sort of intriguing. Who developed the implant?"

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Damn flippin' skippy it did. But the security feeds I meant were from the police building, I was gonna scry it.

    Edit: Yeah, that was kinda vauge, my bad, I just went back and read it. But yeah, definitely meant security feeds from the police station. Live ones, specifically.

    Delmain on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "Hello there, you kids interested in the Marine Corps? We pay for your education, see the world. Here, have a brochure."

    I look at the man's eyes, smile a bit.

    "Sorrry sir, the Navy guy already got me."

    I go to the door, apparently waiting for the other "kid", but my gaze lies on the recruiter. You aren't really paranoid if people are out to get you.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    darksteel wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Kendall seems distracted for a moment, taking his attention off of Claise while looking over his computer. "Strange, there it is again."

    Contested action to prevent hacking.

    6d10.hitsopen(8, 10) → [4,5,2,9,6,6] = 1 success.
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2151073/

    :lol: Ouch. The hacking succeeds.

    Before I could finish my question though, Kendall returns to his computer, seemingly troubled by something.

    "Is there something wrong?"

    "Nah, system's just been acting up lately... old hardware." He turns off the monitor and looks back, the computer forgotten.

    "I can't tell you much about those two. The girl's sharp as a tack, I know that. She's Mysterium. Awakened at a real young age, or so I hear. Mostly works with Fields on whatever crazy projects she has off in her isolated little dens.

    Now Maxwell... tricky punk, but he's no idiot. Works with the Ladder, I guess he has aspirations to run the whole show some day. He can have it, far as I'm concerned, long as he doesn't step out of line... which I'm sure he will. Far as a cabal goes, couldn't say for sure. I know if there is one, it at least has those two in it."

    Alazull wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

    "Specialized botanical implant, enhances growth and provides specialized nutrients. Experimental. You into botany?" His attention was already on the visitor by that point, with newfound interest.


    "I studied it back in high school, found it sort of intriguing. Who developed the implant?"

    "Professor Landing. He's always coming up with new treatments. Kind of scary, but hey, it gets things done. You taking his new course? Should be fascinating." In mid-sentence, the student's attention returns to the plant while setting the syringe aside.

    Delmain wrote: »
    Damn flippin' skippy it did. But the security feeds I meant were from the police building, I was gonna scry it.

    Edit: Yeah, that was kinda vauge, my bad, I just went back and read it. But yeah, definitely meant security feeds from the police station. Live ones, specifically.
    So you're trying to access feeds from the police station via hacking, or via a rote?
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "Hello there, you kids interested in the Marine Corps? We pay for your education, see the world. Here, have a brochure."

    I look at the man's eyes, smile a bit.

    "Sorrry sir, the Navy guy already got me."

    I go to the door, apparently waiting for the other kid, but my gaze lies on the recruiter. You aren't really paranoid if people are out to get you.


    "Sad to hear it. Well, godspeed." A shift of focus brings renewed attention to the female. "How about you, miss? Lots of new jobs every day, I'm sure there's something to get your interest."

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mr. Thurston arrived at the Political science building and stepped briefly into a bathroom that seemed empty. Taking a moment, he cast a quick spell on himself and headed out, hopefully to meet his contact. Although he didn't feel confident in his ability to hide, but he could at least make sure he saw any trouble coming.
    Casting Sense Conciousness 7d10.hitsopen(8,10) = 5 successes.

    El Skid on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "Nah, system's just been acting up lately... old hardware." He turns off the monitor and looks back, the computer forgotten.

    "I can't tell you much about those two. The girl's sharp as a tack, I know that. She's Mysterium. Awakened at a real young age, or so I hear. Mostly works with Fields on whatever crazy projects she has off in her isolated little dens.

    Now Maxwell... tricky punk, but he's no idiot. Works with the Ladder, I guess he has aspirations to run the whole show some day. He can have it, far as I'm concerned, long as he doesn't step out of line... which I'm sure he will. Far as a cabal goes, couldn't say for sure. I know if there is one, it at least has those two in it."

    I had heard it the night before, but only now was I registering it. This Maxwell character was a Silver Ladder mage. And one with ambitions, perhaps being a Deacon...or Hierarch. A thearch with strong political connections was as powerful as any Adamant Sage. Why did I feel like I just made myself a terrifying enemy?

    From yesterday's encounter, and Kendall's description, the girl seemed like a vulnerable person that could be pushed. And yet, she threatened me last night, perhaps planning to use some devastating vulgar spell. Again, mages are not to be underestimated.

    "Thanks for the information, Kendall. I'll be sure to keep out of their way for the time being. As for this Alan Reynolds thing. I know that reporter was bugging you about it earlier, but promise I'm out of your hair after this one. There anything you know about it that you haven't told reporters? A bedridden man disappearing from a hospital has smoke all over it."

    I try to frame my next question as innocently as possible.

    "Oh, and incidentally, you wouldn't happen to know any Mastigos warlocks would you?"

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The hooded woman remains patiently waiting beside the elevator, watching for anyone who might try to approach the second floor through any means, with practical stillness.
    darksteel wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "Nah, system's just been acting up lately... old hardware." He turns off the monitor and looks back, the computer forgotten.

    "I can't tell you much about those two. The girl's sharp as a tack, I know that. She's Mysterium. Awakened at a real young age, or so I hear. Mostly works with Fields on whatever crazy projects she has off in her isolated little dens.

    Now Maxwell... tricky punk, but he's no idiot. Works with the Ladder, I guess he has aspirations to run the whole show some day. He can have it, far as I'm concerned, long as he doesn't step out of line... which I'm sure he will. Far as a cabal goes, couldn't say for sure. I know if there is one, it at least has those two in it."

    I had heard it the night before, but only now was I registering it. This Maxwell character was a Silver Ladder mage. And one with ambitions, perhaps being a Deacon...or Hierarch. A thearch with strong political connections was as powerful as any Adamant Sage. Why did I feel like I just made myself a terrifying enemy?

    From yesterday's encounter, and Kendall's description, the girl seemed like a vulnerable person that could be pushed. And yet, she threatened me last night, perhaps planning to use some devastating vulgar spell. Again, mages are not to be underestimated.

    "Thanks for the information, Kendall. I'll be sure to keep out of their way for the time being. As for this Alan Reynolds thing. I know that reporter was bugging you about it earlier, but promise I'm out of your hair after this one. There anything you know about it that you haven't told reporters? A bedridden man disappearing from a hospital has smoke all over it."

    I try to frame my next question as innocently as possible.

    "Oh, and incidentally, you wouldn't happen to know any Mastigos warlocks would you?"

    "It's for the best. If anything worth checking into comes up, I'll drop a line. As to this Reynolds character... I'm almost positive Awakened were involved, but I haven't confirmed it yet. Mastigos?..." After a slight pause, Kendall resumes the unfinished thought. "Colleen's Mastigos, she's the Mysterium rep. She's probably at the gathering, if not at that library of hers." It wasn't really hers, though it might as well have been.

    [Delmain]
    Most security feeds of the police station show Kendall at his desk. The small building doesn't offer many other options.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »


    "Professor Landing. He's always coming up with new treatments. Kind of scary, but hey, it gets things done. You taking his new course? Should be fascinating." In mid-sentence, the student's attention returns to the plant while setting the syringe aside.

    "You wouldn't happen to know where he is today, would you? I am interested in taking his new course and I had meant to talk to him yesterday but he had mentioned something about meeting him today."

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Something is wrong, I keep getting distracted. And I can't find what I am looking for. Maybe I should put some defenses in place....

    Sky leans against a wall, eyes closed, mind clear, concentrating on her spellcasting. She can feel her mental shield, strong, vibrant, protecting her mind from intrusions. Feeling elation at this success, she opens her third eye.

    Now, let's see who we have here.

    Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Working around the police mainframe, Niall almost laughs at the pitiful attempt of the sysadmin to block his access. When he finally gets into the system, the first thing he does is look for a report from the previous night's hospital shindig. Since nothing of note was found, he turned to straight spying. Finding access to the station's internal cameras, Niall notices that Officer Kendall is speaking with someone who appears to be a student...

    Curiosity overwhelms him, being as that there is no sound, and he leans back in his chair. Attempting to focus on what he was doing earlier, Niall stretches his senses towards the area he is watching through the computer feed.

    Delmain on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »


    "Professor Landing. He's always coming up with new treatments. Kind of scary, but hey, it gets things done. You taking his new course? Should be fascinating." In mid-sentence, the student's attention returns to the plant while setting the syringe aside.

    "You wouldn't happen to know where he is today, would you? I am interested in taking his new course and I had meant to talk to him yesterday but he had mentioned something about meeting him today."

    "Upstairs with the other staff, said he'd be up there a while. Probably some big faculty meeting."

    [Hermenegilde]
    There is nothing unusual in the immediate area, and certainly not from the recruiter.

    However, there is an aura of moderate mental potency coming from the rear of the hall near the elevator.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "It's for the best. If anything worth checking into comes up, I'll drop a line. As to this Reynolds character... I'm almost positive Awakened were involved, but I haven't confirmed it yet. Mastigos?..." After a slight pause, Kendall resumes the unfinished thought. "Colleen's Mastigos, she's the Mysterium rep. She's probably at the gathering, if not at that library of hers." It wasn't really hers, though it might as well have been.

    "Oh yeah, the gathering. I'm guessing the topic for discussion is Reynolds and the other disappearances. I do hope that more become mages active in searching for the culprit. At the very least, the Arrow and the Guardians should have some mages on task, right? Not to say that you aren't. You're an Arrow after all."

    "I'm going to the meeting now. Political Science building, right? You aren't coming?"

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    darksteel wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "It's for the best. If anything worth checking into comes up, I'll drop a line. As to this Reynolds character... I'm almost positive Awakened were involved, but I haven't confirmed it yet. Mastigos?..." After a slight pause, Kendall resumes the unfinished thought. "Colleen's Mastigos, she's the Mysterium rep. She's probably at the gathering, if not at that library of hers." It wasn't really hers, though it might as well have been.

    "Oh yeah, the gathering. I'm guessing the topic for discussion is Reynolds and the other disappearances. I do hope that more become mages active in searching for the culprit. At the very least, the Arrow and the Guardians should have some mages on task, right? Not to say that you aren't. You're an Arrow after all."

    "I'm going to the meeting now. Political Science building, right? You aren't coming?"

    "That's right, second floor. Might want to let the Guardian know you're my guest. That one's not very sociable to Sleepwalkers. I'll be along, once I take care of things here. Try to be diplomatic, especially if Maxwell's there, which I bet he will be."

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "That's right, second floor. Might want to let the Guardian know you're my guest. That one's not very sociable to Sleepwalkers. I'll be along, once I take care of things here. Try to be diplomatic, especially if Maxwell's there, which I bet he will be."

    "Heh, I'll try. Don't worry, no knives this time. See you later."

    I raise a hand in goodbye as I exit the door of the police station and head towards the Political Science building, feeling just a little bit more optimistic. If this meeting went well, there would be more bodies on this case, which could only be better. And perhaps I might look up that Mastigos in the library later, see if I can procure her services for some surveillance. This day could yet yield rewards, even without me having to cut it out of a person.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Alazull wrote: »

    "Upstairs with the other staff, said he'd be up there a while. Probably some big faculty meeting."

    "Oh really? Well, have a good day." Not really waiting for a response, he moved towards the elevators. That last bit of information confirmed his suspicions, the Consilium was meeting upstairs. When he reached the elevators, he moved past the robed woman to hit the call button.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    "Oh really? Well, have a good day." Not really waiting for a response, he moved towards the elevators. That last bit of information confirmed his suspicions, the Consilium was meeting upstairs. When he reached the elevators, he moved past the robed woman to hit the call button.

    "State your business, if you would." The woman turns to appraise Robert with a measured look, her eyes one of the few features the thorough attire allows to be seen. "Admission to the second floor is by invitation only." Despite her evident accent, her English sounds flawless.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

    "State your business, if you would." The woman turns to appraise Robert with a measured look, her eyes one of the few features the thorough attire allows to be seen. "Admission to the second floor is by invitation only." Despite her evident accent, her English sounds flawless.

    He turned to look at her, trying to retain an affable and polite mein. "I was invited to attend last evening by both Officer Kendall and Professor Landing. We share...common interests, as it were. Look at me carefully if you need to confirm it." He hoped he wasn't wrong that she was possible a mage.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

    "State your business, if you would." The woman turns to appraise Robert with a measured look, her eyes one of the few features the thorough attire allows to be seen. "Admission to the second floor is by invitation only." Despite her evident accent, her English sounds flawless.

    He turned to look at her, trying to retain an affable and polite mein. "I was invited to attend last evening by both Officer Kendall and Professor Landing. We share...common interests, as it were. Look at me carefully if you need to confirm it." He hoped he wasn't wrong that she was possible a mage.

    "Very well. Then they will be hold accountable for your actions, so present yourself accordingly." A polite bow of the head is offered, and then she simply moves aside, continuing to appraise the rest of the interior.

    As if on cue, the elevator doors open with an indicative ding.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I stand at the entrance, survey the crowd, ask people what the best booths are, people stream past me, avoid me, tell me to go look for myself.

    I guess I will. I walk around, looking for any booth staffed by students.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

    "Very well. Then they will be hold accountable for your actions, so present yourself accordingly." A polite bow of the head is offered, and then she simply moves aside, continuing to appraise the rest of the interior.

    As if on cue, the elevator doors open with an indicative ding.

    Robert offered the woman a bow, "Thank you, I'll make sure to be on my best behavior." Stepping into the elevator, he pressed the button for the second floor. Well, that'd been easier than he had thought. Although the prospect of having the reputations of two men weighed on his actions was daunting, he felt self-assured. After all, he was simply meeting with the local Awakened, what could go wrong?

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
Sign In or Register to comment.