Options

[IC] Mage: The Awakening | Higher Education

1457910

Posts

  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    In about a half hour, I arrived at the political science building, finding both the outside and the inside hall filled with booths and people handing out fliers. I had no idea what this was all about, but it's unlikely that it's of any interest to me. At the very least though, I could be sure that people were safe here. A meeting of mages guarantees some security, and I could be sure there was at least one agent of the Guardians of the Veil here, like Kendall said.

    I didn't want to spend too much time in the crowd, so I locate the elevator inside the hall and make my through the crowd towards it. A curious figure stood by the elevators. Possibly the Guardian Kendall was talking about. I approach the elevator doors, and her, with heightened caution, and press the call button.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    I stand at the entrance, survey the crowd, ask people what the best booths are, people stream past me, avoid me, tell me to go look for myself.

    I guess I will. I walk around, looking for any booth staffed by students.

    Most of the more education-oriented booths are occupied by student volunteers, while the employment booths have adults in attendance.

    There seems to be no real pattern to their organization. A stand offering details on local literature can be found sandwiched between a recruiter for a programming company and an officer from the Air Force.
    There is a sense of the ghastly in the air, especially to Joshua's senses. It is notably strong in the area around a nearby horticulturist, yet especially in the rear of the building.
    Alazull wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

    "Very well. Then they will be hold accountable for your actions, so present yourself accordingly." A polite bow of the head is offered, and then she simply moves aside, continuing to appraise the rest of the interior.

    As if on cue, the elevator doors open with an indicative ding.

    Robert offered the woman a bow, "Thank you, I'll make sure to be on my best behavior." Stepping into the elevator, he pressed the button for the second floor. Well, that'd been easier than he had thought. Although the prospect of having the reputations of two men weighed on his actions was daunting, he felt self-assured. After all, he was simply meeting with the local Awakened, what could go wrong?

    The elevator arrives without incident, and beyond is a nondescript hall, leading to a number of offices and classrooms that seem to have accessible, open doorways.

    Just ahead are a tall man with a cane, and a familiar woman with a massive book cradled beneath one arm. Both turn at the sound of the elevator, and the man with the cane is the first to speak. "Greetings. You don't seem to be a member of staff. Perhaps you've come to mingle?" The man turns more fully towards the visitor, adjusting his cane while giving him a closer look.
    Casting Supernal Vision

    8d10.hitsopen (8, 10) → [9,8,6,4,8,7,9,2] = 4 successes.

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2156984/

    "Ah, you must be new to town. Please, favor us an introduction." The elder man smiles courteously, resting his weight against the cane in a patient display.

    Ms. Fields continues to watch with a sidelong glance. "We've met, but I guess this one's finally catching on, yes? This is Professor Stevens, acting Hierarch." She didn't intent to alarm the man, but it would definitely be in his best interests to know who he was dealing with.
    darksteel wrote: »
    In about a half hour, I arrived at the political science building, finding both the outside and the inside hall filled with booths and people handing out fliers. I had no idea what this was all about, but it's unlikely that it's of any interest to me. At the very least though, I could be sure that people were safe here. A meeting of mages guarantees some security, and I could be sure there was at least one agent of the Guardians of the Veil here, like Kendall said.

    I didn't want to spend too much time in the crowd, so I locate the elevator inside the hall and make my through the crowd towards it. A curious figure stood by the elevators. Possibly the Guardian Kendall was talking about. I approach the elevator doors, and her, with heightened caution, and press the call button.

    "Good afternoon. You do not seem like one who should take an interest in the matters occurring above, so I must request the nature of your business."

    The woman's eyes turn to Claise with a composed expression.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

    The elevator arrives without incident, and beyond is a nondescript hall, leading to a number of offices and classrooms that seem to have accessible, open doorways.

    Just ahead are a tall man with a cane, and a familiar woman with a massive book cradled beneath one arm. Both turn at the sound of the elevator, and the man with the cane is the first to speak. "Greetings. You don't seem to be a member of staff. Perhaps you've come to mingle?" The man turns more fully towards the visitor, adjusting his cane while giving him a closer look.
    Casting Supernal Vision

    8d10.hitsopen (8, 10) → [9,8,6,4,8,7,9,2] = 4 successes.

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2156984/

    "Ah, you must be new to town. Please, favor us an introduction." The elder man smiles courteously, resting his weight against the cane in a patient display.

    Ms. Fields continues to watch with a sidelong glance. "We've met, but I guess this one's finally catching on, yes? This is Professor Stevens, acting Hierarch." She didn't intent to alarm the man, but it would definitely be in his best interests to know who he was dealing with.

    He nodded at Ms. Fields, "Thank you for the introduction." Turning back to the older man, he dropped to a single knee. "My name is Grimnir, Disciple of Forces, one of the Mighty of the Adamantine Arrows. I moved here recently to attend the university, not realizing there was a local Mage population. It is both an honor and a privilege to meet you, Hierarch."

    His eyes fell to the floor, feeling the anxiety swelling inside him. This was the actual Hierarch? He knew his teacher hadn't told him everything about the Consilium system, but he had been very careful in explaining exactly what a Hierarch represented. This was a Mage that led not only with wisdom but also with strength. A very powerful ally, or an implacable enemy if one wasn't careful. Robert hoped for the former, rather than the latter.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

    The elevator arrives without incident, and beyond is a nondescript hall, leading to a number of offices and classrooms that seem to have accessible, open doorways.

    Just ahead are a tall man with a cane, and a familiar woman with a massive book cradled beneath one arm. Both turn at the sound of the elevator, and the man with the cane is the first to speak. "Greetings. You don't seem to be a member of staff. Perhaps you've come to mingle?" The man turns more fully towards the visitor, adjusting his cane while giving him a closer look.
    Casting Supernal Vision

    8d10.hitsopen (8, 10) → [9,8,6,4,8,7,9,2] = 4 successes.

    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2156984/

    "Ah, you must be new to town. Please, favor us an introduction." The elder man smiles courteously, resting his weight against the cane in a patient display.

    Ms. Fields continues to watch with a sidelong glance. "We've met, but I guess this one's finally catching on, yes? This is Professor Stevens, acting Hierarch." She didn't intent to alarm the man, but it would definitely be in his best interests to know who he was dealing with.

    He nodded at Ms. Fields, "Thank you for the introduction." Turning back to the older man, he dropped to a single knee. "My name is Grimnir, Disciple of Forces, one of the Mighty of the Adamantine Arrows. I moved here recently to attend the university, not realizing there was a local Mage population. It is both an honor and a privilege to meet you, Hierarch."

    His eyes fell to the floor, feeling the anxiety swelling inside him. This was the actual Hierarch? He knew his teacher hadn't told him everything about the Consilium system, but he had been very careful in explaining exactly what a Hierarch represented. This was a Mage that led not only with wisdom but also with strength. A very powerful ally, or an implacable enemy if one wasn't careful. Robert hoped for the former, rather than the latter.

    "Well met, Grimnir... but please, you may rise. Even were my position not merely temporary, I prefer not to suggest that such formalities are a requirement." All the same, he seems amused by the greeting. "Ah, an Arrow? Kendall would be ecstatic to meet you, he works with the campus police... at his request. I guess it's an effective way of maintaining order, even in these troublesome times. So tell me, what studies bring you to this little town?"

    "I'll leave you two be, I need to find out from your would-be pupil where his girlfriend's run off to. Professor. 'Grimnir'." A parting smile, and Fields faded from view down the length of the hall.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I walk to the horticulturist's stand, taking out my notepad and pen and putting on my best reporter face.

    "So, whaddayou got here?"

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "Good afternoon. You do not seem like one who should take an interest in the matters occurring above, so I must request the nature of your business."

    The woman's eyes turn to Claise with a composed expression.

    "I'm here to offer my services," I blurt out. "Not Awakened, but I'm here because Kendall said I should be. I guess we're supposed to bang heads until we come up with a solution to the current problem." I hope that came out as less confrontational than I usually am. But sometimes, I just can't control my words. A discipline I should be practicing more, I think.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    I walk to the horticulturist's stand, taking out my notepad and pen and putting on my best reporter face.

    "So, whaddayou got here?"

    "Experimental growth supplement." The student had recently begun testing the plant's soil with what appears to be a thermometer. "You're with a newspaper?" No such thing as bad publicity, was there?
    darksteel wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "Good afternoon. You do not seem like one who should take an interest in the matters occurring above, so I must request the nature of your business."

    The woman's eyes turn to Claise with a composed expression.

    "I'm here to offer my services," I blurt out. "Not Awakened, but I'm here because Kendall said I should be. I guess we're supposed to bang heads until we come up with a solution to the current problem." I hope that came out as less confrontational than I usually am. But sometimes, I just can't control my words. A discipline I should be practicing more, I think.

    "You are clearly not, or you would exert more prudence. The Officer may be held accountable for your actions, then. Proceed, and tread respectfully." The elevator arrives once again.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "You are clearly not, or you would exert more prudence. The Officer may be held accountable for your actions, then. Proceed, and tread respectfully." The elevator arrives once again.

    I got in the elevator and press the button for the second floor, the tension between the Guardian and me almost palpable. Finally, when the doors closed and the elevator started to ascend, I relax my breath. Already I hate the guy, not really because of his behavior but because of his Order. I'm guessing he hated me right back. Hers was an Order where one of the standing priorities is to keep Supernal aberrations like me, and the entire concept of "Sleepwalkers" and "Proximi", as much a secret as possible, a task they would kill for without question.

    Yeah, I don't really think me and the Guardians of the Veil are really going to get along that well. I wait for the elevator to reach the second floor, curious as to what kind of society I would now see.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aww fuck, I had an entire post 80% written and for some reason my page refreshed and I have to retype the entire thing... >.<

    A meeting at the political sciences building that might have something to do with the disappearances in the area? This might be worth checking out...

    Also, there's apparently a name for what happened to me. But, mages? Really? To be fair, at least we don't call ourselves warlocks.

    Man, that would be embarassing.

    Sighing, I lean back in my chair and attempt to focus on the political science building. I could... feel?... the thought being harder to grasp for some reason, but I tried to see the place anyway. I closed my eyes and concentrated before looking up at the TV screen in the living room.

    And seeing nothing? The blank screen told me something had gone wrong, but without it the hollow feeling in my gut would have told me the same thing. Looks like I'd have to be getting info on the place on my own...

    Actually, didn't the city paper mention the poli-sci building? Closing one eye in concentration, I think back. Yes, there was some sort of meeting there. I run over to my computer and pull up the paper's webpage and see the info on the GATOR meeting. A private party on the second floor? Hmm... Suspicious?

    Casual-formal attire was nicer than I normally prefer, but not outside my league. Digging into my closet, I find a dark red dress shirt and a pair of black slacks. Putting both on, I also grab a pair of black dress shoes and, after weighing the pros and cons, decide against the black fedora sitting at the top of the closet.

    Feeling sharp, I head out to my car and drive, carefully enough not to get pulled over, to the campus before finding a parking lot and heading over to Poli-Sci building. Before entering the building, I close my eyes and touch my right thumb to each eyelid. A trick I practiced last night on the walk home.

    Opening my eyes, I could see colors more brightly and the shadows almost seemed darker. But more importantly, I could see the shadow I cast moving strangely in the even sunlight, reacting to my last spell.

    Confidently, I walked into the building and looked around.

    Delmain on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

    He nodded at Ms. Fields, "Thank you for the introduction." Turning back to the older man, he dropped to a single knee. "My name is Grimnir, Disciple of Forces, one of the Mighty of the Adamantine Arrows. I moved here recently to attend the university, not realizing there was a local Mage population. It is both an honor and a privilege to meet you, Hierarch."

    His eyes fell to the floor, feeling the anxiety swelling inside him. This was the actual Hierarch? He knew his teacher hadn't told him everything about the Consilium system, but he had been very careful in explaining exactly what a Hierarch represented. This was a Mage that led not only with wisdom but also with strength. A very powerful ally, or an implacable enemy if one wasn't careful. Robert hoped for the former, rather than the latter.

    "Well met, Grimnir... but please, you may rise. Even were my position not merely temporary, I prefer not to suggest that such formalities are a requirement." All the same, he seems amused by the greeting. "Ah, an Arrow? Kendall would be ecstatic to meet you, he works with the campus police... at his request. I guess it's an effective way of maintaining order, even in these troublesome times. So tell me, what studies bring you to this little town?"

    "I'll leave you two be, I need to find out from your would-be pupil where his girlfriend's run off to. Professor. 'Grimnir'." A parting smile, and Fields faded from view down the length of the hall.[/QUOTE]

    He rose, not the least bit embarassed. One could never doubt the power of good manners.

    "I've already met Officer Kendall, he and Professor Landing informed me of this meeting. Unfortunately in his case, I had to meet him because I got involved with that business outside the Epsilon building the other night. As for my studies, I am pursuing degrees in anthropology and history. Well, and trying to find a mentor in the Ars Arcanum."

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Delmain wrote: »
    Opening my eyes, I could see colors more brightly and the shadows almost seemed darker. But more importantly, I could see the shadow I cast moving strangely in the even sunlight, reacting to my last spell.

    Confidently, I walked into the building and looked around.

    There are several intermingling auras of magic at work in the building, though their individual flavors are difficult to discern.

    Immediately ahead are mostly booths handing out fliers for their respective employers, particularly a military recruiter who seems to be having no success. Just ahead is a representative for a telecommunications company, offering brochures on employment with one of their countless subsidiaries.

    Catching sight of Niall, a cheerful female in formal business attire approaches. "Hi there! Interested in a career in the telemarketing field? Work from home, earn extra cash! It's really very easy." In mid-sentence, a pamphlet is handed in his direction, as if she wouldn't take no for an answer.
    Alazull wrote: »
    "I've already met Officer Kendall, he and Professor Landing informed me of this meeting. Unfortunately in his case, I had to meet him because I got involved with that business outside the Epsilon building the other night. As for my studies, I am pursuing degrees in anthropology and history. Well, and trying to find a mentor in the Ars Arcanum."

    "Ah, yes... I recall hearing about that, but it's been filtered through so much hearsay and rumors that I have not yet discerned the complete picture. Perhaps you could enlighten me?" The man gave a pause at the request. "Hm, that's not outside the realm of possibility. You made mention of the Mighty. You would be Obrimos, I presume? If possible, I would prefer to assign you to working with one of similar interests."
    darksteel wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "You are clearly not, or you would exert more prudence. The Officer may be held accountable for your actions, then. Proceed, and tread respectfully." The elevator arrives once again.

    I got in the elevator and press the button for the second floor, the tension between the Guardian and me almost palpable. Finally, when the doors closed and the elevator started to ascend, I relax my breath. Already I hate the guy, not really because of his behavior but because of his Order. I'm guessing he hated me right back. Hers was an Order where one of the standing priorities is to keep Supernal aberrations like me, and the entire concept of "Sleepwalkers" and "Proximi", as much a secret as possible, a task they would kill for without question.

    Yeah, I don't really think me and the Guardians of the Veil are really going to get along that well. I wait for the elevator to reach the second floor, curious as to what kind of society I would now see.

    Stevens would turn to appraise the newest visitor with another measuring look, once again adjusting his cane with a shift in posture.
    Casting Supernal Vision

    8d10.hitsopen (8, 10) → [7,6,7,9,8,3,4,3] = 2 successes.
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2158384/

    "Greetings. And what studies might bring you here?" This arrival caused for slightly more caution, but not complete restraint.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Stevens would turn to appraise the newest visitor with another measuring look, once again adjusting his cane with a shift in posture.
    Casting Supernal Vision

    8d10.hitsopen (8, 10) → [7,6,7,9,8,3,4,3] = 2 successes.
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2158384/

    "Greetings. And what studies might bring you here?" This arrival caused for slightly more caution, but not complete restraint.

    I step out of the elevator, and take a moment to survey the place, a typical looking college hallway with classrooms, before finally looking back at the man with the cane. Alright, I'm in the middle of a mage haven. If there was a time to be diplomatic, it was now.

    "Well, I can already tell you are not a Guardian considering your warm welcome. Greetings. I am Claise Septimus, Proximus of the Septimus family. I'm here to offer my services to the Consilium and help with solving the recent disappearances, as per our oath," and curse, I thought. I didn't really see the dynasty curse as such, but then again, I hadn't really had myself consumed by it before. It made me both excited and afraid just to think about when it would finally come. "And as for you?" I reply back to the man with the cane, "What would your business be here?"

    My gaze turns next to a familiar figure next to the man. It took me a few seconds to recognize him, but then I remember.

    "Hey, you're that guy from last night! So, you're here too huh?"

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    I walk to the horticulturist's stand, taking out my notepad and pen and putting on my best reporter face.

    "So, whaddayou got here?"

    "Experimental growth supplement." The student had recently begun testing the plant's soil with what appears to be a thermometer. "You're with a newspaper?" No such thing as bad publicity, was there?

    "Yeah, with the Alligator."

    I look at the plant sideways, then back at the student.

    "So, who made it, how does it work, and will it work on iceplants?"
    I write down his response, and make my way toward the back of the building.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    darksteel wrote: »
    "Hey, you're that guy from last night! So, you're here too huh?"

    "Yes, and until you arrived the Hierarch and I were discussing last night, to be exact. Mainly, how I showed up and got you, that girl and that Maxwell fellow from killing each other. And all it took was a phone call and telling the three of you I had a gun." He gave a grin, this one was amusing. A Proximi? Septimus? He didn't know what the hell those meant, but it seemed to have something to do with this man's complete lack of social graces. However, at least that meant he was honest and forthright, traits that were commendable. Robert planned to bait the man for entertainment, but not push him to the point of animosity. He could use someone like that on his side.

    Turning back to the Hierarch, he nodded. "Perhaps working with another with like interests could prove helpful. Any help at all would be appreciated." He still kept a polite tone. It was obvious from everything he had heard and observed of the Hierarch that he preferred to keep formalities light, but at the same time it still behooves one to be nice when talking to someone who could probably kill you in the space of a few seconds.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    "Yes, and until you arrived the Hierarch and I were discussing last night, to be exact. Mainly, how I showed up and got you, that girl and that Maxwell fellow from killing each other. And all it took was a phone call and telling the three of you I had a gun." He gave a grin, this one was amusing. A Proximi? Septimus? He didn't know what the hell those meant, but it seemed to have something to do with this man's complete lack of social graces. However, at least that meant he was honest and forthright, traits that were commendable. Robert planned to bait the man for entertainment, but not push him to the point of animosity. He could use someone like that on his side.

    Turning back to the Hierarch, he nodded. "Perhaps working with another with like interests could prove helpful. Any help at all would be appreciated." He still kept a polite tone. It was obvious from everything he had heard and observed of the Hierarch that he preferred to keep formalities light, but at the same time it still behooves one to be nice when talking to someone who could probably kill you in the space of a few seconds.

    "Hey, now. I just did the smart thing and withdrew. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight after all." I clap the man in the back in a gesture of friendship. "No harm, no foul, though. You did what you thought was right." I liked this man. I could feel he had a similar drive to solve the disappearance case as I did. And allies like that were sorely needed.

    I turn back to the man with the cane, apparently the Hierarch of this Consilium. "Pleased to meet you, sir. I hope you will forgive my earlier demeanor. I'm not too used to...society in general. Even though I might not be as powerful as a willworker, I offer any skills I can. And I think I speak for everyone when I say that the more bodies we have on this case, the better." I offer my hand for a handshake.

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    I walk to the horticulturist's stand, taking out my notepad and pen and putting on my best reporter face.

    "So, whaddayou got here?"

    "Experimental growth supplement." The student had recently begun testing the plant's soil with what appears to be a thermometer. "You're with a newspaper?" No such thing as bad publicity, was there?

    "Yeah, with the Alligator."

    I look at the plant sideways, then back at the student.

    "So, who made it, how does it work, and will it work on iceplants?"
    I write down his response, and make my way toward the back of the building.

    "It's Professor Landing's creation. The details aren't fully known, to be honest, you'd have to ask him.

    As for iceplants, can't say, haven't tried it." The student watches with some curiosity as the writer departs, then with a shrug, returns to tending the plant.

    At the rear of the building, the hooded woman continues to watch, particularly observing the new arrival.
    darksteel wrote: »
    Alazull wrote: »
    "Yes, and until you arrived the Hierarch and I were discussing last night, to be exact. Mainly, how I showed up and got you, that girl and that Maxwell fellow from killing each other. And all it took was a phone call and telling the three of you I had a gun." He gave a grin, this one was amusing. A Proximi? Septimus? He didn't know what the hell those meant, but it seemed to have something to do with this man's complete lack of social graces. However, at least that meant he was honest and forthright, traits that were commendable. Robert planned to bait the man for entertainment, but not push him to the point of animosity. He could use someone like that on his side.

    Turning back to the Hierarch, he nodded. "Perhaps working with another with like interests could prove helpful. Any help at all would be appreciated." He still kept a polite tone. It was obvious from everything he had heard and observed of the Hierarch that he preferred to keep formalities light, but at the same time it still behooves one to be nice when talking to someone who could probably kill you in the space of a few seconds.

    "Hey, now. I just did the smart thing and withdrew. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight after all." I clap the man in the back in a gesture of friendship. "No harm, no foul, though. You did what you thought was right." I liked this man. I could feel he had a similar drive to solve the disappearance case as I did. And allies like that were sorely needed.

    I turn back to the man with the cane, apparently the Hierarch of this Consilium. "Pleased to meet you, sir. I hope you will forgive my earlier demeanor. I'm not too used to...society in general. Even though I might not be as powerful as a willworker, I offer any skills I can. And I think I speak for everyone when I say that the more bodies we have on this case, the better." I offer my hand for a handshake.

    "Yes, my 'business' as it were would be maintaining order, for the time being." His free hand took the offered one, and offered it a gradual yet firm shake. "Hmm, I'm not entirely familiar with this oath... though I have heard of your family in passing. Perhaps we'll speak on this at length later."

    In regards to the conflict, he gave a frown while returning both hands to the cane at his front. "Maxwell? I've heard about this incident through several avenues, and the telling of it has varied from person to person. Perhaps you both could inform me on your version of what transpired last night? In detail, of course."

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    At the rear of the building, the hooded woman continues to watch, particularly observing the new arrival.

    I look at the lady there, I went too far. I could have done this better, hid, pretended to be doing something else.

    I keep staring, looking because that's the only thing that seems smart to do, my hand goes to my phone in my pocket, safe, reassuring, my proof.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "Yes, my 'business' as it were would be maintaining order, for the time being." His free hand took the offered one, and offered it a gradual yet firm shake. "Hmm, I'm not entirely familiar with this oath... though I have heard of your family in passing. Perhaps we'll speak on this at length later."

    In regards to the conflict, he gave a frown while returning both hands to the cane at his front. "Maxwell? I've heard about this incident through several avenues, and the telling of it has varied from person to person. Perhaps you both could inform me on your version of what transpired last night? In detail, of course."

    Well, I knew it was coming and here it was. No sense lying to a mage when he could just order around somebody to extract the truth of it from your mind, if not do it himself. At the very least, I could be glad I'm saying it directly to the Hierarch, and without the whole Awakened population to bear witness.

    I recount last night's altercation in detail, making special mention of the fact that I only intended to ask questions, and Maxwell pulled a weapon first, emphasizing I that I did not intend to kill him. I also mention my suspicions of the fact that the Mysterium girl was clearly seriously injured, and how Maxwell did not seem to see it as troubling.

    "Regardless of my suspicions, I fought him in ignorance of the local law. I am open to whatever judgement you feel is necessary."

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Niall is wowed by the presence of magic in the building but follows it towards the elevators before getting a clear look at the woman standing in front of them. Darting back into the crowd, he wanders back in a circle so he can get a good, though hopefully subtle, look at her aura.
    Wits + Stealth (5d10.hitsopen(8,10)=2)

    Next "turn", analyze the woman's aura to determine her nature.

    Delmain on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    At the rear of the building, the hooded woman continues to watch, particularly observing the new arrival.

    I look at the lady there, I went too far. I could have done this better, hid, pretended to be doing something else.

    I keep staring, looking because that's the only thing that seems smart to do, my hand goes to my phone in my pocket, safe, reassuring, my proof.

    Delmain wrote: »
    Niall is wowed by the presence of magic in the building but follows it towards the elevators before getting a clear look at the woman standing in front of them. Darting back into the crowd, he wanders back in a circle so he can get a good, though hopefully subtle, look at her aura.
    Wits + Stealth (5d10.hitsopen(8,10)=2)

    Next "turn", analyze the woman's aura to determine her nature.
    Her aura has myriad sparkles.

    While waiting against the elevator, the woman produces a cellular phone of her own, and keys a single button, dialing a predetermined number.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Getting somewhat paranoid, Niall goes over the possibilities in his head.

    These people wouldn't honestly leave stairs open, and even if he got up there, they'd recognize him as an outsider in a second. And he couldn't work his usual social engineering, since if he knew what she was, she'd definitely know what he was...

    Taking a deep breath, Niall acts on the only idea he hasn't debunked...

    He walks out of the crowd and straight up to the woman and stands in front of her, one hand at his side, the other pointing at the elevator behind her. He looks up at the convergence of magical auras above him and looks back at the other mage.

    "I think I need to be up there."

    Delmain on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    While she's talking on the phone I decide I need to also. Unfortunately I hadn't written that... man's name down.
    Intelligence + Composure=3 remembering Mister Thurston's number.
    I punch it in as quickly as my fingers can press the buttons.

    Pick up goddamnit.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Walking carefully through the building, Mr. Thurston carefully observed everything that was going on, starting with the ground floor. He kept a close watch for the girl from the previous day, and looked specifically for people that were trying to hide- where he could see people but not feel their presence with his magic or vice versa.

    Eventually he came upon Joshua, who seemed to be trying to call someone and getting a bit frustrated at not being able to reach them. Walking up behind the youth, Mr. Thurston stopped a few feet away and said "You could try leaving a message, you know". Smiling wryly, he waited for the youth to turn around so he could see if Joshua really was trying to reach him... And how he would react to being surprised.

    El Skid on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The color drained from my face, my mouth was dry, vocal cords knotted themselves up trying to scream, cold sweat wrung itself from my forehead, all that in one second. I was already tense, and I was sure that she had called a trained killer to get rid of me. Don't judge me goddamnit.

    "Oh. It's you." "Hello." I sounded like a kitten with asthma.

    Don't judge me.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mr. Thurston looked closely at Joshua. He was either really scared or a very good actor. The smile slipped away a little- he hadn't expected that.

    "Hey, you look a bit upset. Did something else happen?" he asked, what appeared to be genuine concern on his face.

    El Skid on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    El Skid wrote: »
    "Hey, you look a bit upset. Did something else happen?" he asked, what appeared to be genuine concern on his face.

    Not losing face here. Not in front of her.
    "Uh. No, not at all, nothing important. Just some family trouble. Nothing I can do anything about, anyway."

    "S-so, have you found an-" A glance to the hooded woman.

    "Should we have this conversation elsewhere?"

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aside from the general potent aura within the building, everything and everyone seems to be in plain sight, with the exception of the booths blocking occasional areas from view.
    Delmain wrote: »
    Getting somewhat paranoid, Niall goes over the possibilities in his head.

    These people wouldn't honestly leave stairs open, and even if he got up there, they'd recognize him as an outsider in a second. And he couldn't work his usual social engineering, since if he knew what she was, she'd definitely know what he was...

    Taking a deep breath, Niall acts on the only idea he hasn't debunked...

    He walks out of the crowd and straight up to the woman and stands in front of her, one hand at his side, the other pointing at the elevator behind her. He looks up at the convergence of magical auras above him and looks back at the other mage.

    "I think I need to be up there."

    The woman keeps the phone against her ear while watching the man. Without a word, the phone is silenced and fades from view. "Then perhaps you should go. Be wary, for you enter unknown territory."

    The elevator doors open.
    darksteel wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "Yes, my 'business' as it were would be maintaining order, for the time being." His free hand took the offered one, and offered it a gradual yet firm shake. "Hmm, I'm not entirely familiar with this oath... though I have heard of your family in passing. Perhaps we'll speak on this at length later."

    In regards to the conflict, he gave a frown while returning both hands to the cane at his front. "Maxwell? I've heard about this incident through several avenues, and the telling of it has varied from person to person. Perhaps you both could inform me on your version of what transpired last night? In detail, of course."

    Well, I knew it was coming and here it was. No sense lying to a mage when he could just order around somebody to extract the truth of it from your mind, if not do it himself. At the very least, I could be glad I'm saying it directly to the Hierarch, and without the whole Awakened population to bear witness.

    I recount last night's altercation in detail, making special mention of the fact that I only intended to ask questions, and Maxwell pulled a weapon first, emphasizing I that I did not intend to kill him. I also mention my suspicions of the fact that the Mysterium girl was clearly seriously injured, and how Maxwell did not seem to see it as troubling.

    "Regardless of my suspicions, I fought him in ignorance of the local law. I am open to whatever judgement you feel is necessary."

    Stevens maintains his composure during the provided rundown, after which he offers a resigned nod. "I will have to speak with the others involved. However, no dire breaches seem to have transpired from this incident... so I see no need to pass judgment, as you would put it."

    Another smile, trying to ease his visitor's mood. "For now, put it behind you. I ask only that in future instances, avoid confrontation unless absolutely necessary, and defer these incidents to proper authority. I still have some business to conduct, so feel free to get acquainted. A few of us have not yet arrived, but there are enough of us here for you to offer some introductions, and perhaps learn more about our city in the process." For a moment, he glances off down the hall, mindful of a distant argument. It doesn't seem to be heated, but certainly audible.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    He nods his head slightly and walks past the woman into the elevator and pushes the button for the second floor.

    As the doors shut, he mutters to himself, "Thats for sure..."

    Delmain on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »
    "Hey, you look a bit upset. Did something else happen?" he asked, what appeared to be genuine concern on his face.

    Not losing face here. Not in front of her.
    "Uh. No, not at all, nothing important. Just some family trouble. Nothing I can do anything about, anyway."

    "S-so, have you found an-" A glance to the hooded woman.

    "Should we have this conversation elsewhere?"

    Glancing over to the woman, Thurston shrugged.

    "Let's step over here then."

    El Skid on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Joshua walks with Thurston.

    "I have a pretty good picture of that girl and uh what she was doing on my cell-phone. What do you want me to do with it?"

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "Really?" said Thurston, looking interested. "Show it to me and we can go from there."
    Definitely keeping up his guard in case this is a trap

    El Skid on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I punch a few keys, hoping the picture I snapped in the hospital isn't suddenly gone.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Robert nods to the Hierarch, "Thank you very much sir, I'll be sure to introduce myself to the rest of the Consilium. I hope you have a pleasant day."

    He turned to the Sleepwalker, "Come on then, we should meet the others. Sticking together isn't a terrible idea, especially if that Maxwell fellow decides to cause trouble for either of us. And I wouldn't put it past his type for a second." Robert turned and walked in the direction of the argument, walking slowly to allow the other one to follow if he so chose.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    Robert nods to the Hierarch, "Thank you very much sir, I'll be sure to introduce myself to the rest of the Consilium. I hope you have a pleasant day."

    He turned to the Sleepwalker, "Come on then, we should meet the others. Sticking together isn't a terrible idea, especially if that Maxwell fellow decides to cause trouble for either of us. And I wouldn't put it past his type for a second." Robert turned and walked in the direction of the argument, walking slowly to allow the other one to follow if he so chose.

    I nod in agreement and follow, stepping up quickly to his side. Might as well talk if we've got time to kill. I introduce myself.

    "My name's Claise, as you might have heard. I'm...not exactly what you would call a mage. How about you, you got a name?"

    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Delmain wrote: »
    He nods his head slightly and walks past the woman into the elevator and pushes the button for the second floor.

    As the doors shut, he mutters to himself, "Thats for sure..."

    When the doors open, the sight of a departing older man can be seen, as well as two nearby persons talking.

    From further down the hall, fragments of an ongoing discussion can be heard from an open classroom down to the left; a woman and a younger man, most likely.

    The elder man has already faded from view down an adjacent hall in an entirely different direction.


    Downstairs, the hooded woman's eyes seem to follow the two with the phone as they depart, even if they fade from view.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Niall takes time to wander around, not recognizing really recognizing anyone. With his eye-trick, he still focuses a little on each person in the area, being careful not to be caught staring.

    Otherwise, Niall just wanders around in circles being a wallflower unless someone talks to him.

    Delmain on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    darksteel wrote: »

    I nod in agreement and follow, stepping up quickly to his side. Might as well talk if we've got time to kill. I introduce myself.

    "My name's Claise, as you might have heard. I'm...not exactly what you would call a mage. How about you, you got a name?"

    "You can call me Grimnir. Before you even ask, no, that is not my real name. And if Claise is your real name I suggest you come up with a psudeonym quickly. With your true name a Mage can cast a spell on you without even having to see you." He kept walking in the direction of the argument, pausing long enough to look back at the elevator open and a man walk out. It was insane, he thought the Awakened was a small community at best.

    Walking into the class room, he cleared his throat. "Sorry to interrupt, the Hierarch said I should introduce myself to everyone since I'm new to the area. My name is Grimnir. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance." Hopefully he wasn't interrupting anything important, otherwise this could take a while.

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "I'm her boyfriend, not her babysitter. Try keeping better track of your subordinates, sweetheart."

    Both of the persons in the classroom are likely recognizable on sight; Maxwell and Colleen. The woman still has a textbook cradled under one arm. The younger of the two seems to be paying her almost no mind, sitting on what seems to be a professor's desk with total disregard for its contents.

    Maxwell is the first to notice the arrivals, offering a smile that seems more chilling than friendly. "Well, if it isn't the junior police."

    "If you think I care for one moment about your silly connections, you're dead wrong. And if you've done any harm you'll be worse than that." Colleen proceeds to ignore him as she heads for the door. A brief glance to Robert, then her eyes fall on Claise with renewed interest. "Well now, who is your friend?" Maybe the day wouldn't be a complete waste.

    Back at the desk, Maxwell's attention is also on Claise, with attention of a different sort.


    __________


    In a moment's notice, the hooded woman is suddenly at the wall opposite the two with the cellular phone. Her approach had made no sound. She seems content to observe from afar. "Might I inquire as to what is so interesting?"

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "I'm her boyfriend, not her babysitter. Try keeping better track of your subordinates, sweetheart."

    Both of the persons in the classroom are likely recognizable on sight; Maxwell and Colleen. The woman still has a textbook cradled under one arm. The younger of the two seems to be paying her almost no mind, sitting on what seems to be a professor's desk with total disregard for its contents.

    Maxwell is the first to notice the arrivals, offering a smile that seems more chilling than friendly. "Well, if it isn't the junior police."

    "If you think I care for one moment about your silly connections, you're dead wrong. And if you've done any harm you'll be worse than that." Colleen proceeds to ignore him as she heads for the door. A brief glance to Robert, then her eyes fall on Claise with renewed interest. "Well now, who is your friend?" Maybe the day wouldn't be a complete waste.

    Back at the desk, Maxwell's attention is also on Claise, with attention of a different sort.


    "Hello, Ms. Fields. A pleasure running into you again. This one I...ran into last night. He's a Sleepwalker." Robert turned to Claise and gave a nod. "I'm sure you can introduce yourself to the lady. Don't forget what we talked about earlier."

    Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "That is an excellent shot. One second."

    Thurston pulls out his phone and dials his lady contact.

    El Skid on
Sign In or Register to comment.