As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CIVILISATION 4: GAME IN ABOUT HALF AN HOUR

• Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Slaving the population down and Drafting them is pretty great.

Whichever ya need, it is a very versatile system.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    hmmmmmm

Raneados on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also doing so lowers the city pop so you don't get health issues, and people bitch less about overpoppin.

Should be some got dang birth control research so we don't have so many fucking babies in a city FUCK.

the pill or condoms or a cliff, fucking anything just shut the fuck up asshole in your red chef hat.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you don't want your city to grow any further, just click the prevent growth button until you've increased health and/or happiness

Ivar on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wait you can do that? Fuck I thought you just had to balance out the food so it became stagnant

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You know the set of buttons at the lower part of the city screen, a bit to the right?
    There are buttons for citizen placement automation, building automation, food focus, production focus, commerce focus, research focus, Great People Point focus, and prevent growth.

I usually look through all my cities every 5 turns or so to see if they should stop growing, and if that's the case, if I should whip-build something

Ivar on
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The way to get good at Civ IV is to play it for like 1000 hours, read everything in the Civilopedia four or five times, click on every button to see what it does, and generally pay close attention to what's going on in each part of the game. When you find yourself wondering about how something works or how to overcome a particular problem, do some research - back to the Civilopedia, plus go online and Google some shit.

Not to set myself up like some kind of expert. All I'm saying is that it's a damn complex game and it takes a lot of time and patience to get a really thorough understanding of it.

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, vanilla Civ IV still kicks my ass

barely

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I never played IV. I do however, have an install of Civ3 complete on my netbook. I'm pretty well positioned to win any way I want as the Celts at the moment; cultural, political or scientific would be easiest, but I feel like beating up the Romans and the Aztecs for being whiny annoying bitches for the past 2 millennia, so I'm building a fuckton of tanks and bombers and I'm going to sack Rome like it's 999.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The best way to start learning about how civ IV works is to read this.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There, you made me reinstall it. Life down the shitter, etc.

It is so good though. It plays Mozart. It plays fucking Mozart.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's beautiful

Ivar on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    nerve staple

if that is not enough, nerve staple again

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    nerve staple

if that is not enough, nerve staple again

what

Ivar on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Is that a thing you can do in the game? For some reason I've never used nukes in civ4

Ivar on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I made nice with Charles De Gaulle one time

hell, even helped him reach nuclear capability after signing a defensive pact with him

Babylon declares war on me, and I spend the next twenty turns receiving reports of nuke launches

ah, yes

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nerve stapling and planetbuster missiles and ice cap melting are things you can do in Alpha Centauri, Ivar

necessary atrocities

especially when you're playing the expansion as that naval-only faction

raise the sea levels and drown millions of enemy civilians and all your cities just float up twenty feet like nothing happened

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Nerve stapling and planetbuster missiles and ice cap melting are things you can do in Alpha Centauri, Ivar

necessary atrocities

raise the sea levels and drown millions of enemy civilians and all your cities just float up twenty feet like nothing happened

sounds fun

Ivar on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    CorpseRT wrote: »
    The best way to start learning about how civ IV works is to read this.

I read through this now. I think I've read it before. It's really useful.

Ivar on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think I know how Civ works. But every time I play a game I get to a point, not very far in, where I go "what the hell am I doing?" and lose interest. I'd like it if there was a campaign mode with specific goals.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    smof wrote: »
    I think I know how Civ works. But every time I play a game I get to a point, not very far in, where I go "what the hell am I doing?" and lose interest. I'd like it if there was a campaign mode with specific goals.

win the game

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Holy fuck bees awesome.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

There are scenarios you can play. They put you in specific situations and you have to play out a thing.

Most of them are historically accurate and Warlords had some really cool ones.

Beyond the Sword had a "nextwar" one that had some more advanced tech and mechs and stuff that was really fun. Future power blocs and the like. I nuked China so hard I accidentally cracked the planet and everyone died. That is really a thing that happened.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Artreus wrote: »

There are scenarios you can play. They put you in specific situations and you have to play out a thing.

Most of them are historically accurate and Warlords had some really cool ones.

Beyond the Sword had a "nextwar" one that had some more advanced tech and mechs and stuff that was really fun. Future power blocs and the like. I nuked China so hard I accidentally cracked the planet and everyone died. That is really a thing that happened.

wait, what?

I uh... I should go back and play BTS some more.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The scientists warned me. All "the Earth is too fragile for this many nukes" and I did not listen.

Then I lost the game because it split like an egg.

I am pretty sure it is a scenario called Next War. It has some really cool super-units that I just wrecked shit with.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That sounds fantastic.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This is the only info I can find on that scenario, it is hell of fun though. This is only one of 12 by the way.

"A futuristic sci-fi scenario with clone armies and mechanized units set in the 2050s. This scenario is available as an expansion on the Epic game as well as being a standalone scenario.
    The World is divided into four huge empires: Far East Empire (China, Japan, Siam and East Russia), American Empire (North America, Britain and Australia), South Empire (Africa, Middle East and South America) and Europe (Europe, Algeria, Turkey and West Russia). You can also build Biological Bombs to destroy other empires and Nuclear bombs to do even more damage"

Artreus on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »

necessary atrocities

AC taught me what atrocities were. They also lead to an unintentionally hilarious conversation with my dad, it's somewhere deep in Awesome Posts but if you haven't heard it it went something like this.

"Dad? What's an atrocity?"

"It's when someone does something really big and horrible"

"...but sometimes they're necessary, right?"

"..."

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How early do you realistically need to decide what victory to shoot for? I've been told to play Willem van Oraje as a good newbie leader (Fin/Cre), and thanks to the Cre I'm told I should go for Culture, but I have no idea how early I should be worrying about that.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I say from the beginning

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The beginning is a good time to start winning, yes.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just realized something.

This and Elemental are slated to come out really close to each other.

This somehow seems unfair. So much waiting, and then OD'ing me on 4x, and having to choose between fantasy spell-lobbing or total Dutch Domination.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Civ.

Civ is always the answer.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I heard there's a "mana victory" win condition in Civ 5 anyway.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Drew-B wrote: »
    I heard there's a "mana victory" win condition in Civ 5 anyway.

Explain.

Wait, let me grab my ankles first.

Unsalted on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Supposed list of information from some Danish magazine I yanked from a civ forum.

"- Switch from squares to hexagons changing the way the game plays. More room for maneuvers and more tactical options.
    - Changes to combat. More depth in combat, no more stacking of units. This will lead to bigger focus on terrain.
    - Inspired by Panzer General.
    - Reintroduction of Bombardment, now archers and siege equipment can shoot over melee units.
    - Better diplomatic AI.
    - More diplomatic options between players.
    - Less "cheating" AI.
    - Religion is not a factor anymore.
    - Ressources are not infinite. For example one source of horse only supplies enough horses for 1 unit, but when that horseman dies the horses will respawn as a unit.
    - City States as a sort of small countries that never develop beyond their single city. They can provide bonusses if you befriend them, or you can take over their land.
    - Civics are out, now there is something called "Social Policies".
    - About the same amount of wonders, the tech tree will feel familiar. Great People still in.
    - Some victory conditions changed. For example in Conquest you only have to capture all the other capitals. Eliminates boring mop up phase.
    - Unique Civ leader bonusses, no more standard "Spiritual" or "Financial".
    - DirectX 11 support.
    - Built in webbrowser. Sid Meier is also working on a facebook application of Civilization."

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If they bring back the types of things you could do in AC, I'm sold on that alone.

As in with diplomacy....

Also - "Social Policies"
    I'm going to need to look up more on this. If its just another civics screen option then meh...

Unsalted on