As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unofficially Official... PSP is a Go!

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've always wanted to buy a PSP just for a few older UMD games... looks like it's PSP 3000 for me! As long as it can still get the digital downloads. I don't much mind the aesthetics of Go, honestly though.

Also, I've always wondered about this. Why would GameStop (or other gaming specialty stores) sell the PSP Go? Since they can't sell games for it, what's the advantage to selling it?

Geod on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So is Sony going to release games on memory sticks at retail? If they are, it seems like not using a proprietary memory stick is going to cause problems, especially with piracy. Or is going to be all download only? If that's the case, I can't understand why some retailers would even carry it, especially GameStop.

Edit: Beat'd

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Eh, I dunno about sliding screens. They just feel flimsy and more likely to break.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Legacy wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    I have to give Sony credit for trying to push the market forward, but recently it seems like they're largely been doing it at the expense of their customers.

True. It is better to try and do things a little more progressively than doing it just because they(seemingly) can.

If this was the "PSP2" and not PSPLite, I'd be fine with it trying out new things. But you don't bring a new revision of something out and not have it do the most basic functions of the original. Like play actual games that you've already bought. At least the DSi has a DS slot still. They can decide to throw games up on the DSi store if they want to, but I can still go and buy an actual copy of a game.

And I didn't even notice the screen until now. Couldn't have figured a way to protect the screen?

Edit: Wonder what GS/EB think of this...no physical copies of games, so no used business, right...?
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Remember the DS reveal, guys. That looked totally different than the DS ended up being.

Yes, but this has supposed retail boxes already. When the DS was revealed, it was still mostly concept. Just kinda had something decent to show of the concept. This looks done.

Same thing the PSP did with the new Patapon and a few other games. You go into the retail, pay for it there, and get a code to download it. There're tons of kids with no credit or debit cards.

Esh on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Esh wrote: »
    I have to give Sony credit for trying to push the market forward, but recently it seems like they're largely been doing it at the expense of their customers.

True. It is better to try and do things a little more progressively than doing it just because they(seemingly) can.

If this was the "PSP2" and not PSPLite, I'd be fine with it trying out new things. But you don't bring a new revision of something out and not have it do the most basic functions of the original. Like play actual games that you've already bought. At least the DSi has a DS slot still. They can decide to throw games up on the DSi store if they want to, but I can still go and buy an actual copy of a game.

And I didn't even notice the screen until now. Couldn't have figured a way to protect the screen?

Edit: Wonder what GS/EB think of this...no physical copies of games, so no used business, right...?
    Remember the DS reveal, guys. That looked totally different than the DS ended up being.

Yes, but this has supposed retail boxes already. When the DS was revealed, it was still mostly concept. Just kinda had something decent to show of the concept. This looks done.

Same thing the PSP did with the new Patapon and a few other games. You go into the retail, pay for it there, and get a code to download it. There're tons of kids with no credit or debit cards.

Still cuts out the used sales for GameStop where the majority of their profit is made. If they sell codes, gamestop will probably make only a dollar or two per card. Definitely not worth their shelf space.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I kind of like the one ekim posted (but maybe it's just the Monster Hunter on the screen), but again, those redesigns have the same problem the real ones does: exposed screen. Maybe the DS (and GBA SP I suppose) has spoiled me in that respect.

What's wrong with exposed screens? Unless you're dropping your system all over the place like a buffoon, I don't see what difference it makes. I have an iPod and iPhone, both have exposed screens and see constant use, and both have brand-new-looking screens. My DS screen, on the other hand, even though it remains closed still gets a lot of dust particles over it and such. It baffles me.

Also, as for the Go, I like the actual look of the system, but yeah, seems like it would be uncomfortable.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »

Still cuts out the used sales for GameStop where the majority of their profit is made. If they sell codes, gamestop will probably make only a dollar or two per card. Definitely not worth their shelf space.

Exactly.

And I can't wait for the parents that buy it for their kids and don't happen to have any internet access at all. Maybe they'll start selling their games on small ProDuos?

This just seems too weird, even for Sony.
    What's wrong with exposed screens? Unless you're dropping your system all over the place like a buffoon, I don't see what difference it makes. I have an iPod and iPhone, both have exposed screens and see constant use, and both have brand-new-looking screens. My DS screen, on the other hand, even though it remains closed still gets a lot of dust particles over it and such. It baffles me.

Also, as for the Go, I like the actual look of the system, but yeah, seems like it would be uncomfortable.

It's just silly that they'd hide/protect the buttons but not the screen. Maybe they finally perfected the 'scratch resistant' screen from the original PSP?

I just know that I can throw my DS in my pocket without the screens getting fucked up from being in my pocket. I didn't buy a cover for my G1 and its screen is annoyingly scratched up. If it were a flip phone or had it's own built in protection(or if I had bought a protector/been more careful), it'd be fine.

This device is just full of weird sacrifices. I guess I'll hold out for confirmation, impressions and just more info.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I kind of like the one ekim posted (but maybe it's just the Monster Hunter on the screen), but again, those redesigns have the same problem the real ones does: exposed screen. Maybe the DS (and GBA SP I suppose) has spoiled me in that respect.

I've already opened up my PSP once to clean out the dust under the screen. I have another dust particle under there now but not as distracting as before.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My PSP and DS live in little carry cases that I then I put in my bag. Clamshell or exposed screen really makes no difference to me.

Also I wouldn't worry about games stores selling PSP GOs to kids, they'll be doing all they can to push the PSP 3000 instead. Whilst they get some benefit from selling download codes like Patapon 2, used game sales are their bread and butter. I think the GO is aimed more at the 20+ crowd as an experiment to see if download only model can work and to get the press talking about the PSP again as part of a larger offensive (LBP, MGS, GT etc.).

Moioink on
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow there really is no defending that design, its horrible.

And I am still not understanding why they could not figure out some way to have a folding screen so you don't have to worry about it getting dinged. Seems like a pointless redesign.

Roxtar on
  • Options
    bakatrinhbakatrinh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well now I can check the PSP off my list of handheld to consider. It's gonna be between the iPhone and Zune HD now (depending how invested in gaming Microsoft will be when they announce it for E3). I know iPhone and Zune isn't as gaming focused as the PSP, but their designs are much better and the multimedia support will likely be better as well.

I hated the web browser on the PSP because it was so slow and limited. Judging from videos of Mylo's web browser (which is essentially the same as the PSP's), the PSP Go will probably only be marginally better if at all.

iPhone and Zune will have better music management/browsing and likely a better browser. I just want a well designed device that does everything well.

bakatrinh on
    bakatrinh.png
  • Options
    Akito01Akito01 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    To my mind, this thing needed to be sexy, and it ain't sexy.

I also wonder if the PSN experience is the best in the world. In only recently got to try out downloading full games onto my recently bought PSP (BestBuy were clearing out the 2000 model a couple weeks back). I had to hunt down a PSN card, since I couldn't get either of my cards to be accepted for some reason. The price on those PSOne titles are mostly quite nice (R-Types for all of six bucks? Yes, please!). The down side is that it took AGES for them to download. I'd have to think it won't take long for internal memory to be a concern either.

Akito01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I actually like the fold-out design.

Entirely digital download-based games are a no no for me though. :(

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jesus, I was all for it till I heard smaller screen. What the fuck Sony, you get all these great new features and then you have to child molest one of the best features of the older models? Though if they find a way to make us current PSP owners happy with transferring of physical games to the internal memory, I guess I'll still get it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love that it's smaller, because the PSP is anything but portable. Unfortunately the screen size had to suffer but I guess there's not really any other way they could have done it.

That being said, I'm really waiting to see how the transition to digital distro works out. (Like, will I be able to get new games on UMD if I want to? Patapon 2 says no.) And I need to put my hands on one before I can make a solid opinion on the unit.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Why on earth would they put a smaller screen on it? Surely it would make sense to keep the form factor almost exactly the same, move the buttons inside, and use the new exterior space for more screen.

Smaller screen is an unforgivable error, the big thing the PSP has going for it is it's big bright screen

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Why on earth would they put a smaller screen on it? Surely it would make sense to keep the form factor almost exactly the same, move the buttons inside, and use the new exterior space for more screen.

Smaller screen is an unforgivable error, the big thing the PSP has going for it is it's big bright screen

Because the current PSP is huge. You can't really put it comfortably in your pocket unless it's not in a case and if you're wearing cargo pants.

Being smaller makes it much more portable.

Wat? Do you ever put anything into your pocket? My iPod Touch looks like it's been through Desert Storm just because I carry it in my pocket.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You know what I wish they'd do now that this device is coming out? Since all PSP games will be on the PSN now, I want to be able to download them and play them on my PS3 or my PSP.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    bakatrinh wrote: »
    I just want a well designed device that does everything well.

You will be waiting a long time for that to happen and if you're ruling out the PSP because of it's average internet functions or that it doesn't have a phone then you have the wrong expectations of it. It's always been a gaming device first (with decent multimedia functions) and an excellent one at that.

Moioink on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Wat? Do you ever put anything into your pocket? My iPod Touch looks like it's been through Desert Storm just because I carry it in my pocket.
    So you are saying your iTouch looks like this?
    Game_boy_damaged_in_the_gulf_war.JPG

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Yeah, I always wondered what the hell did they do to that gameboy.

Did they deep-fry it or something?

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »

Yeah, I always wondered what the hell did they do to that gameboy.

Did they deep-fry it or something?
    It was hit by a FUCKING BOMB in Desert Storm.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Still amazed that it could still play.

What a trooper.

Cockroaches will be playing it when we finally die out.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The key thing is to not keep anything else in your pocket. I have my iPhone on me at all times, in my left pocket. Keys and change go in the right pocket. Not a single scratch or even a bit of dust on my iPhone screen.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    bakatrinhbakatrinh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moioink wrote: »

You will be waiting a long time for that to happen and if you're ruling out the PSP because of it's average internet functions or that it doesn't have a phone then you have the wrong expectations of it. It's always been a gaming device first (with decent multimedia functions) and an excellent one at that.

The PSP was a great gaming device, but that's about it. I love gaming, but when they design the new PSP like that and pretty much offer up nothing new, I'm willing to sacrifice it's gaming support for everything else.

bakatrinh on
    bakatrinh.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Moioink wrote: »

The PSP was a great gaming device, but that's about it. I love gaming, but when they design the new PSP like that and pretty much offer up nothing new, I'm willing to sacrifice it's gaming support for everything else.

Fair enough we all have different needs :) I've resigned myself to carrying a PSP, DS, two different iPods (flash and HDD) and my phone in my bag because I don't think there will ever be one device that covers everything I want.

Moioink on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Because the current PSP is huge. You can't really put it comfortably in your pocket unless it's not in a case and if you're wearing cargo pants.

I carry my iPhone in my pocket at all times, and I've had it for 18 months with no screen protector. Its screen is still in perfect mint condition with no scratches. I think you need to clean your pockets out more often! Keys and wallet in one pocket, phone in the other :)

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I carry my iPhone in my pocket at all times, and I've had it for 18 months with no screen protector. Its screen is still in perfect mint condition with no scratches. I think you need to clean your pockets out more often! Keys and wallet in one pocket, phone in the other :)

I did that for a while but eventually I'd forget and halfway through the day I'd reach in my pocket and be like "Oh hey, there's my phone and my iPod in the same pocket, check that out."

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In response to putting a PSP in your pocket: I never had a problem in the spring, fall or winter with my PSP as it fit in the inside pocket of any of my coats without a problem, even with it in one of those huge ass logitech cases (which I would recommend to anyone who has a PSP and no case). The summer though I'll admit that I'm pretty much fucked.

BladeX on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    BladeX wrote: »
    In response to putting a PSP in your pocket: I never had a problem in the spring, fall or winter with my PSP as it fit in the inside pocket of any of my coats without a problem, even with it in one of those huge ass logitech cases (which I would recommend to anyone who has a PSP and no case). The summer though I'll admit that I'm pretty much fucked.

I love the Playgear Pocket so much that I bought they one they made for the DS Lite and it's fucking awesome as well.

playgear_pocket_500x349.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Are those slots to put the carts in?

Man, that is pretty nice.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That would be the one! I love that you can open it up flip the top around and the PSP can sit up on a nice angle to watch movies as well.

On the topic of the new design, the only thing I'm a little leery of is (as has been mentioned before), the slide feature. I have an LG Rumor and it always feels like it's going to break and it now slides open pretty easily in my pocket.

BladeX on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Are those slots to put the carts in?

Man, that is pretty nice.

I managed to nab it for $10 during the Gamer Days sale that Gamestop had.

And yeah, the card slots are super handy.
    That would be the one! I love that you can open it up flip the top around and the PSP can sit up on a nice angle to watch movies as well.

This feature is handy on the DS version for touchscreen-heavy games, like Ouendan/EBA.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I love the Playgear Pocket so much that I bought they one they made for the DS Lite and it's fucking awesome as well.

The PSP PlayGear Pocket is so fucking awesome, it has saved my PSP from so much damage. Once my PSP flew out of my hand while I was making a big gesture, flew across the room, slammed into a desk, skid across the desk, slammed into the wall on the other side and then clattered to the floor. Not a scratch on the system because the case took the brunt of it.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    psp_go_vs_psp_iphone.jpg

Comparison of PSP Go size with the 3000 and IPod Touch.

I'm one of the few who's digging not only the system, but digital distribution, though that's because I have no PSP games to begin with. The fact that the screen is smaller bugged me at first, but considering the size of the unit, it's fine with me.

Incidently, the other big rumor about the PSP for E3 is that Sony will debut a digital rental system, which would awesome.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I find the PSP comfortable to hold, and that thing looks like it might still be comfortable. Since I use it for a lot of media playback as well as games, I rather like the sliding design. It apparently has 16gb internal storage and a memory stick slot, so I'm happy. Depending on the price and UMD transferring, I'll save and get one on launch.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Although my initial thoughts were that it looked uncomfortable to use, I'm willing to hold off final judgment until I actually try it. If nothing else, the fact that it's almost half the weight of the regular PSP should do a lot towards making it more comfortable. Likewise, I'd be willing to have the screen slightly smaller if it means a sharper image.

Things I need to know before I decide whether or not to buy a PSP Go over a PSP 3000:

Price - I could see this going either way. By reducing the screen size, cutting the UMD drive, and hopefully manufacturing the system in a more efficient manner (they've had several years after all), the system might be cheaper to produce & sell for less than the current PSP. On the other hand, it's new so they might sell it for the same or more.

Games - Will I be able to play all of the games I currently want to play on the PSP on the PSP Go? Will the vast majority of titles be available on the PSN? Is there a way to load UMD games?

Ergonomics - How comfortable is it to use compared to the old PSP?

Screen - Is the screen quality better than the old PSP despite the smaller size?

Under the Hood - How's the battery life compare? How do the load times compare? Any other new features (that rental service could be awesome although I assume all versions of the PSP could access it)?

Being a huge fan of digital distribution, I want to want the PSP Go. Hopefully when more details are released, I still will.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is it confirmed to have a memory stick slot?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Wow thats a nice case.

Roxtar on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Under the Hood - How's the battery life compare? How do the load times compare?

The fact that the UMD drive has been removed means that there should be a reasonable improvements for battery life and load times.

I'm not hating the design, not yet anyway. If Sony are going to give me a way to play the PSP games I already have on UMDs, they might have (more) of my money.

Diarmuid on