As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Peoples of Other Worlds [Races of Sci-Fi/Fantasy]

124»

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've always enjoyed the Halo species. Short methian breathers that once achieved the industrial age but fell back to the stone age do to combustability. A mass of Sentient worms that can be formed into varies forms who mate for life with another worm mass. A biomechanical floating lifeform. All very neat

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Humans have a power that other aliens don't. In most sci-fi.

We can fuck anything.

Anything.

I want that on a T-Shirt... or a plaque.

In Science Fiction
    Humans can fuck anything
    and everything

Basho?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    deowolf wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Humans have a power that other aliens don't. In most sci-fi.

We can fuck anything.

Anything.

I want that on a T-Shirt... or a plaque.

In Science Fiction
    Humans can fuck anything
    and everything

Basho?

He plowed a cephalopodal alien in a threesum with the fisherman's wife.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Starcross wrote: »
    I imagine most of the answers to this will be terribly cynical sci-fi stories in which aliens ask us "What is this "war" you speak of?", but I'm genuinely interested in seeing what authors think our species' defining characteristic would be.

a bit like the Man-Kzin Wars. and any number of other series

valiance on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not a fan of most "people" aliens because "depth of alienness" is so often just humanity in a new skin with incomprehensible customs that we know are incomprehensible because the author says they are incomprehensible.

There are exceptions.

Alastair Reynolds does really good, truly incomprehensible and weird aliens, although they're only very, very rarely the focus of his stories.

I liked his concepts of the Ultras and conjoiners showing how with time and separation humans could become just as alien as another species.

Yeah. The "weird" humans are every bit as weird as his aliens. And his less-weird humans were still pretty fucking weird.

Seriously, though, if you want completely bizarre extraterrestrial lifeforms it's hard to do much better than the Pattern Jugglers or the Grubs.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pattern Jugglers are sweet.

Its been a while since i read the books, who cooked up the techno-organic virus that was slowly eating the galaxy?

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    joshua1 wrote: »
    Pattern Jugglers are sweet.

Its been a while since i read the books, who cooked up the techno-organic virus that was slowly eating the galaxy?

Still unknown.

Edit: Actually it appears that the Grubs brought it to Yellowstone unknowingly - they weren't affected by it.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Didn't the grubs somehow counteract the virus?

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    joshua1 wrote: »
    Didn't the grubs somehow counteract the virus?

Chasm City Spoiler:
    Yeah, their blood acted as a counteragent to the virus, though how or why wasn't really explained (or even, so far as I remember, investigated by the characters.)

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Good god, does every thread I start posting in turn into xenophilia?

Crap. What if it's me?

takyris on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    My favourite alien species are the Spiders from A Deepness in the Sky. They are presented as fairly human-like, despite their being incredibly alien, but their depiction is part of the story. They are arachnid-like and live on a planet whose sun only burns for 20 years and then goes dark for 200 years. In those 200 years, they hibernate in deep caves (called "deepnesses") and then come out in those 20 years and rebuild everything and go on a huge spurt of advancement. The whole thing is done incredibly well.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    takyris wrote: »
    Good god, does every thread I start posting in turn into xenophilia?

Crap. What if it's me?

It is.

You're tainted.
    We love it.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WankWank Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tamin wrote: »
    Remembered another book series with no humans: Lucasart's Alien Chronicles. Space Cats, Lizards, Dogs, and probably a few other animal species.
    I remember this book. I thought it was fantastic when I was like, ten. If I found it now, I have a sinking feeling it won't be up to par.

Wank on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My favourite alien species are the Spiders from A Deepness in the Sky. They are presented as fairly human-like, despite their being incredibly alien, but their depiction is part of the story. They are arachnid-like and live on a planet whose sun only burns for 20 years and then goes dark for 200 years. In those 200 years, they hibernate in deep caves (called "deepnesses") and then come out in those 20 years and rebuild everything and go on a huge spurt of advancement. The whole thing is done incredibly well.
    The packs in A Fire Upon the Deep (also written by Vernor Vinge) where done well too for truely alien aliens.
    A single member away from it's pack was unintelligent, but get 4 or 5 together and they would communicate using hypersonic frequencies and form a networked intelligence that was a congregate of the individual components.

see317 on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    deowolf wrote: »
    You're tainted.

You said taint.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.