As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bruno: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Fabulous Fashion of Austria

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It was the worst one, Blake

I love the LotR trilogy but the third one gave me such a headache

These are the most fascinating clouds I have been witness to, I'd love to see those Scottish ones in person, though; this is almost boring by comparison

nightsky_2.jpg

Janson on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    I still haven't seen the final Lord of the Rings.

Eh.

The first was the best one.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Weird shit going on with the sky always puts me off. I feel sick just looking at those images.

They are cool, though!

A week or so ago I was treating Cass to dinner and a heavy thunderstorm was rolling in, and when I looked at the clouds I just started feeling dizzy and like I had to get under cover. The clouds were the darkest shade of grey I've seen in a long time, and I just can't look at them for long.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Haha, you kids and your storms.

California weather, heck yeah. 8-)
    Actually, I think the weather here is boring as hell at times and I kind of miss the occasional tornado watch and lightning storm.

ASimPerson on
  • RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    WE ARE ALL

DEAD

Robcham on
    edited June 2009
    I've not been in a really bad storm since I was 4, and I barely remember that (I was mainly mad, because I had to stay indoors two days in a row and couldn't watch TV because there was no reception), so I guess epic clouds don't bother me so much because I've always known that the ones I have seen haven't signified anything in particular

That evening sky looks threatening but it didn't even rain

But shit, yeah, if I were, say, in the mid-west and saw something bearing down on me, I'd be fucking terrified

Janson on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Actually, I think the weather here is boring as hell at times and I kind of miss the occasional tornado watch and lightning storm.

Why would you miss tornado watches? Why would you miss the possibility that your home or the home of someone you know may be destroyed by a tornado?

I live in Florida and I know a few people that actually get excited about hurricane season and I'm just like "What the fuck?"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Why would you miss tornado watches? Why would you miss the possibility that your home or the home of someone you know may be destroyed by a tornado?

I live in Florida and I know a few people that actually get excited about hurricane season and I'm just like "What the fuck?"
    Maybe they just really hate impoverished black people. Do you think that's it?

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited June 2009

English people talk about the weather not because it's severe, because it's not, or because it's particularly cold or particularly hot, because it's not, but because it's so unpredictable

I mean, I'd walk home and it'd be sunny and then out of nowhere it'd start raining and then it'd maybe hail and once I experienced sleet in addition to the aforementioned things, too

all in the space of an hour

Janson on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Maybe they just really hate impoverished black people. Do you think that's it?

It's a possibility.

It's seriously one of the worst things about living here, every damn summer I have to live in fear that some shit's gonna happen to my place. So far the worst that's happened was roof damage, which wasn't too extensive but somewhat costly to repair.

The freakiest experience of my life was on Christmas Day a few years back when a fucking tornado literally ripped apart nearly every house across the street.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2009
    Oh, Janson, by the way, how was your first earthquake? Did you feel it over there?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Koshian wrote: »
    that's a shame, choco

I absolutely love watching lightening storms

Seeing lightning light up the clouds and forking the ground below is amazing from a distance, and then you hear that low rumble just make its way over to you.

When I feel like I'm in the middle of it, I start feeling sick. It's a step up from crippling fear like when I was 10, at least!

Rear Admiral Choco on
    edited June 2009
    Oh, Janson, by the way, how was your first earthquake? Did you feel it over there?

I have so far experienced no earthquakes!

My only earthquake experience was actually in the UK, last summer we had a rather rare no. 5 on the richter scale strike

I thought my neighbours were having really loud sex

Janson on
    edited June 2009
    Alright, I was just wondering. We had couple in LA a few weeks back and it was the only ones I could remember being awake for in fifteen years.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I live in California now. Sometime in the next 30 years there will be another 6.0+ magnitude event and it will fuck everything up.

By contrast, when a tornado watch is issued, it's generally over a large swath of land and the odds of being even within a mile of the event are extremely small. I lived in North Alabama for 13 years (and my parents still do), which is statistically right up there Oklahoma in terms of tornadoes per year and we've never had a tornado anywhere near us.

That said, I didn't meant to say I get excited by severe weather. When you have a warning and you can see that hook on the radar heading towards your neighborhood and you wonder why the hell they didn't put a basement in your house, well, yeah, it sucks. But, still, on the list of natural disasters to worry about, tornadoes don't rank highly on my list. (For reference, hurricanes do: living as far north as we did we only ever got rain or, on occasion, thunderstorms from hurricane remnants. I don't really have a reference point for living on the coast and worrying about hurricanes.)

Anyway, I still did think it was funny two years ago when we actually did have a little lightning here and bunch of people in my office building flocked to the windows to watch the lighting. Having just moved to CA, I didn't really appreciate how rare an event that was at the time.

ASimPerson on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    i havent felt a single earthquake the entirety of my living in california

and i was around for the 89 quake

Kusuguttai on
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had a massive day of unpredictable weather here in the US. I had just gotten my license and as a surprise I drove over to my girlfriends house (she lived about an hour and a half drive away, and her being the only driver it sucked until I got my shit together.)

It was completely sunny when I started, then rain and finally heavy snow. I ended up staying at her house longer than planned because the roads were unsafe to drive on as I got snowed in.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Janson those clouds can't be real

where is that website hosted?

Saturn?

#pipe on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Recently in Sydney I was walking down a pathway to get some fast food when I saw a lovely lightning arc stretch across the sky. It went from cloud to cloud! What was great was that it was so very large and really took up a great degree of horizontal space in my vision. Quite cool. Also waiting for the thunder after seeing lightning is way fun!

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So there was a Bruno bit on the MTV Movie Awards - he ended up in Eminems lap dressed as a fairy, Eminem got really pissed off.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited June 2009
    Really? I always pegged Eminem as the kind of guy who could appreciate a shock joke or two.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    nah

he a bitch

Robcham on
  • OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    and then twilight won every award for every category it was nominated in

Oden on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited June 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited June 2009
    Best Movie Winner
    Twilight

Best Female Performance Winner
    Twilight

Breakthrough Performance Male Winner
    Twilight

Best Kiss Winner
    Twilight

Best Fight Winner
    Twilight

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I thought Borat was pretty funny but this one strikes me as far less hilarious just because, you know, it's more of the same

only now he's pretending to be gay as well as foreign

I've watched quite a bit of the Ali G show, and I really like it.

I'm a biot disappointed in the premise of this movie, though. Not because of any similarities between the characters, but because of the similarity in the format (lots of interviews with unsuspecting fools.)

I liked that the Ali G and Borat movies were both very different beasts. I would have liked to see him try to do something different with the Bruno character as well, rather than just make another Borat movie, but with a lisp.

Evander on
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Twilight is to the MTV Movie Awards as LOTR was to the Oscars

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
    edited June 2009
    Oden wrote: »
    and then twilight won every award for every category it was nominated in
    lmao

slumdog also shared a nomination in most of the categories too

Oden on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    I thought Borat was pretty funny but this one strikes me as far less hilarious just because, you know, it's more of the same

I'm a biot disappointed in the premise of this movie, though. Not because of any similarities between the characters, but because of the similarity in the format (lots of interviews with unsuspecting fools.)

I liked that the Ali G and Borat movies were both very different beasts. I would have liked to see him try to do something different with the Bruno character as well, rather than just make another Borat movie, but with a lisp.

I didn't really like the Ali G movie.

The interview format I think is what makes his characters shine. I mean yes they are over the top and ridiculous but the reactions that he gets from people are the best. I mean he's funny, and fat naked man wrestle is truly a highlight of tv, but what makes his show hilarious is what real people actually say in response to him.

Blake T on
    edited June 2009
    I am going to watch this silly movie and giggle at it like a little school girl because I am immature

Oden on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »

I didn't really like the Ali G movie.

The interview format I think is what makes his characters shine. I mean yes they are over the top and ridiculous but the reactions that he gets from people are the best. I mean he's funny, and fat naked man wrestle is truly a highlight of tv, but what makes his show hilarious is what real people actually say in response to him.

I don't disagree, but i already saw that movie. Twice. Both times sneak previews (meaning not everyone there knew what it was, so there was the added bonus of watching folks get disgusted and walk out.)

I don't need to see the same movie over and over again. SBC has range, and I'd rather she him do a wider variety of things, than just keep doing joke interviews.

Evander on
    edited June 2009
    I liked the movie where he was a barber

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I liked Borat. I did. But I've had me fill, you know?

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Borat may be the most played out thing ever

but that trailer was pretty funny

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    edited June 2009
    I think the trailer is very funny I am not even going to lie about that

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    I loved Da Ali G Show
    I loved the Borat movie
    I love the Bruno trailer
    I'm sure I'll love the Bruno movie

there is apparently a scene with (spoilered, because it's not in the trailers, but heard about it on the radio)
    paula abdul and bruno, and there are no chairs in the room, so bruno convinces her to sit on the backs of some illegal immigrants
    i mean, come the fuck on

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I liked Borat.

But this Bruno movie looks not funny.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    attempting to explain to people who think this guy is offensive that he's making fun of Americans and not Kazakhs or gay Germans is an exercise in futility

MrMonroe on
    edited June 2009
    the best part of borat was when he bought a dog to hunt jews, then they took it out of the movie

Oden on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oden wrote: »
    the best part of borat was when he bought a dog to hunt jews, then they took it out of the movie
    Do you have youtube evidence of this?

Blake T on