As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Zeppel-On] The Saboteur: French star nipples and Nazi racing on Dec. 8

• Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I need a good place to cheese girl kissing.

That's the one escape route I just never use.

Rooftops always feel safer, paradoxically.

Try the church in Montmartre that's North East of the Belle - the one where you meet Father Denis for the mission where you have to drive him when he wants to deliver a package to the Gestapo HQ. There's a girl on the steps South of the church. It's great for farming the achievement because you have to hop down a small ledge to reach her which automatically breaks the line of sight of any of your pursuers.

Just make sure you take out any nearby sniper towers before you get started and that there are no Nazi's on the steps themselves - or use said Nazi on the steps to get the alarm then kill him and get to the girl before any other Nazi's get there.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And there's my thousand. Thanks, Kitsuna.

There wasn't a pop up when I got the achievement, so I actually got 62 before I got curious and checked. Whoops.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey so I never actually kissed a single girl before I gave my copy to my brother -- how do you do it?

IN GAME. I never actually kissed a single girl IN GAME.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's a matter of finding a girl and then cultivating the right atmosphere to get her to kiss you.

In the game that means having an alarm and finding a girl on the street who isn't fleeing.

In real life, I'm afraid your troubles are probably a little more complicated.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Unless you have lots of personality.

By which I mean money.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really need to pick this up. I rented it and my only complaint was the German tanks are fictional.

And I never got to steal one and go crazy while I had the game. But thanks for reminding me PA Forums! I have a payday coming up soon.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    All the vehicles are made up, not just the tanks.

The Nazis in this game make heavy use of combat dirigibles for crap's sake. It's not a documentary.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Arth wrote: »
    I really need to pick this up. I rented it and my only complaint was the German tanks are fictional.

And I never got to steal one and go crazy while I had the game. But thanks for reminding me PA Forums! I have a payday coming up soon.

There's an abandoned tank parked in a ruined church just outside the city from La Belle -- turn right on your way out of the club's front door, turn right at the end of the block and head up the hill. Then onto the dirt road and look for the ruins on your right. Go nuts.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I forgot how depressing the game can be in it's atmosphere and narrative. The opening hour or two is fucking brutal. Nothing but misery. Which is awesome because that's the sort of mood you want in a game like this. Still annoys me that Pandemic went tits up. Hopefully all those guys and gals found good homes.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I still love the ending. The walk up the tower is some haunting stuff. Then just... the Caligula style massacre at the top, that piano going. Finally getting that vengeance, too.

The Saboteur, for all it's goofy funtimes, naht-zee beatin' joy, has some really dower moments.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Klash wrote: »
    I still love the ending. The walk up the tower is some haunting stuff. Then just... the Caligula style massacre at the top, that piano going. Finally getting that vengeance, too.

The Saboteur, for all it's goofy funtimes, naht-zee beatin' joy, has some really dower moments.
    FTFY

I love the atmosphere in this game. All around, it's just great. Whether it's the grimy, occupied, rainy Paris swarming with Nazis or the post-liberation countryside just being gorgeous and sunny for me to run through blowing up towers, it's all golden.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I had somehow literally never heard of this game until I saw this thread come up from the depths. It seems like a really cool concept and from what I'm reading it got decent reviews.

With that in mind...can somebody explain, in brief, why it never got much hype, why its developer kicked the bucket right after releasing it, and why you can now get a copy super-cheap almost anywhere? (Except Steam, for some reason...)

Basically what I'm asking is...considering I can acquire it for less than $10, should I be playing it?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Pandemic probably disappeared because Mercs 2 was so God damned horrible.

The Saboteur on the other hand, got moderate reviews because it did lots of cool stuff but nothing was quite polished. Everything was just off enough to make it noticeable, but just right enough to make it functional. In other words, its a moderate game elevated by its ideas.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Pandemic basically died as the game was being released. That basically put the kibosh on any marketing plan that might have been in place beforehand. It went from an A+ title to a bargain bin game basically overnight through no real fault of its own.

You should pick it up. It's an excellent game.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Honestly, I think it was also a victim of being a good game in a year with a lot of very good games, some of which happened to be in the same genre and were themselves sequels to other games which were also very good and very well-known. In the Saboteur's case, we're talking about an open-world mission-driven single-player espionage/assassination-oriented 3rd-person action title with a heavy dose of roof-top running in a historical setting which also happened to hit store shelves two weeks after Assassin's Creed II.

SammyF on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Giant Bomb has a Quick Look
    http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-the-saboteur/17-1726/

Frankly, I had a lot of fun with the game. I knew about it because I was watching for it. I first heard about the coloring mechanic, I think, which is done quite well.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, I'm walking along near the church where you meet up with the Father, and I notice a Wehrmacht soldier coming the other way. He gets suspicious of my uniform, and he arms up. I throw him down the stairs a bit.

While he tries to get up, a nun walks by and kicks him in the face. He slumps over, unmoving.

Let's hear it for the Sister of Battle!

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So you know how there's an anti-perk for killing civilians? That locks out hiding spots for a minute?

Turns out there's a separate one for nuns. And it's quite a bit harsher.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So you know how there's an anti-perk for killing civilians? That locks out hiding spots for a minute?

Is it still in the same amount though? I never had a problem with the civilian one, since you'd have to run over something like 10 in 60 seconds to actually trigger it, which never happened since I didn't drive on the sidewalks.
    Of course, when you're on a motorcycle that is impossible to handle and civilians keel over after so much as looking at your ride some problems did arise.

RE: Gaslight
    As people have said, it's mostly Pandemic's fault for dying, not the game's fault for being bad. That said, going from, say, Assassin's Creed, which has had 3 games to refine the controls, you really start to notice some bad design issues. Issues that could have easily been improved in a sequel.
    The stealth is still really well done and sneaking around and sabotaging Nazi things isn't something you can get from just any old game though.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I just really like Sean. A right proper arse, he is.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

Is it still in the same amount though? I never had a problem with the civilian one, since you'd have to run over something like 10 in 60 seconds to actually trigger it, which never happened since I didn't drive on the sidewalks.
    Of course, when you're on a motorcycle that is impossible to handle and civilians keel over after so much as looking at your ride some problems did arise.
    5 minutes for 5 nuns.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so gaslight where are you finding this game for under 10 bucks? that's about close to how much i want to pay, and the EA store still has it for 20.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so gaslight where are you finding this game for under 10 bucks? that's about close to how much i want to pay, and the EA store still has it for 20.

I'm with curly. Sub $10 and it's mine. Also, I'm assuming that they did patch out all the severe issues with ATI cards that plagued the launch? Would someone confirm?

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    No patches. There was a "beta patch", but that's it. Pandemic died before they could do anything.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    No patches. There was a "beta patch", but that's it. Pandemic died before they could do anything.

Urk. So the game is still totally unplayable on ATI cards then?

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I never actually played it on an ATI card, so I can't speak to that.

I can say that on my nVidia card the engine pisses me off because things at a certain distance just pop in and worse yet, they first appear as awful red-wire-frame type things. Major mood breaker. It's one of those unpolished things that marks the game.

Klash on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    IdolNinja wrote: »

Urk. So the game is still totally unplayable on ATI cards then?

i thought it was supposed to be totally unplayable on nvidia cards! D:

but seriously, lack of optimization is why i didn't get it at release.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Plays just fine on Xbox. ;-)

OptimusZed on

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hear it plays even better on PS3 due to some AA chicanery.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I played just fine with my Nvidia card.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I'm with curly. Sub $10 and it's mine. Also, I'm assuming that they did patch out all the severe issues with ATI cards that plagued the launch? Would someone confirm?

http://www.amazon.com/Saboteur-Pc/dp/B001KNID2S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1299725912&sr=8-3

Amazon has it for $8.42 USD, boxed edition or direct download.

So, um...can somebody please clear up for me whether it's on Nvidia or ATI cards or both that the game's totally fucked up? Kinda getting some mixed signals here.

Edit: The beta patch notes say to disable all of your CPU cores but one and the recommended system reqs are a 2.8Ghz quad core. Are you fucking serious.

Edit again: So apparently the core disabling thing was only supposed to "fix" pop-in issues and such and has nothing to do with the ATI card crashes? Except that somehow the beta patch that's supposed to fix the ATI card crashes also completely FUBARs some people with quad cores thus necessitating the "workaround" of neutering your CPU.

I'm not touching this until I hear from somebody who's playing this reliably with an ATI card and a quad core CPU. (I have a Radeon 6850 and a Phenom II X4.)

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Disregard last post. $9 is worth it to me for at least the prospect of being able to free-roam and find hidden underground V-2 rocket bases.

DAMN YOU, GAMES & TECHNOLOGY FORUM!

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I have an ATI card and a quad core. Worst I got was a weird landscape texture load where it would load the environment a couple dozen feet ahead of where I was driving. Everything else played fine without a patch.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Disregard last post. $9 is worth it to me for at least the prospect of being able to free-roam and find hidden underground V-2 rocket bases.

When you receive it, would you please post how it works on your box? I think I'll wait for confirmation before throwing my precious $9 at it.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »

When you receive it, would you please post how it works on your box? I think I'll wait for confirmation before throwing my precious $9 at it.

but idol, that's only half of imaginary money! :P

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Perks unlocked remain unlocked and active. My piece of advice is to use the "buy a free perk" thing from the black market on the "escape a top level alarm" thing. All the others are really fun to get. That one? Holy hell. That thing... ouch. Just easier to buy it right out.

I would certainly not recommend that. It's waaaaay easier to escape from a level 5 than (it happens in story IIRC) than to find all of the damn cars.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Perks unlocked remain unlocked and active. My piece of advice is to use the "buy a free perk" thing from the black market on the "escape a top level alarm" thing. All the others are really fun to get. That one? Holy hell. That thing... ouch. Just easier to buy it right out.

I would certainly not recommend that. It's waaaaay easier to escape from a level 5 than (it happens in story IIRC) than to find all of the damn cars.

How so? Every single vehicle can be found just sitting around, if you know where to look. Every single one.

For your thieving pleasure:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8120/thesaboteurmap.jpg

Not sure if it's too big to put here, so I'm just leaving the link.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The only two I really ever have trouble finding are the Dauphin and the Dugati. You get the Dugati for an early game mission, so you should just bank it then. The Dauphin is a pain because there are like a third of them compared to the Corrinos, and they look almost identical.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I must have gotten lucky -- I found the Dauphin very early on. And as I recall there's a Dugati hanging out by the quest-giver who gives you your first race mission, along with a garage which happens to be right at the top of the hill. I can't remember what precisely gave me a hard time completing that particular perk, but it was a totally different set of cars.

SammyF on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Taking out Generals with your bare hands is very satisfying, that moment of victory you feel when you hear that *SNAP* sound as their neck breaks...

It makes me want to go build an Arch, preferably of Triumph. Maybe somewhere in Paris.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png