Options

[E3 2009 MEGATHREAD] E3 OVER - GO HOME

• Options
    TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just don't get the excitement over New Super Mario Brothers Wii. It was good on a handheld. Multiplayer party game or not, next to Galaxy 2, it just looks stupid.

Anyone care to explain?

I mean, it may be fun, but I wouldn't chalk it up to a "big" reveal.

NSMB DS is still at $35, and is still selling pretty well. NSMB Wii is going to probably be $50, and is a Mario sidescroller, and will sell like hotcakes.

I didn't say it wouldn't sell. I didn't say it wouldn't sell like crazy. I'm asking why it deserves to be on a list of "big" reveals and why it looks particularly fun in a way that couldn't just be a DS sequel.

I mean, I consider a name-dropped Zelda DS game and an announcement about wanting to make an announcement for a Zelda Wii game are bigger reveals than that nonsense.

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nothing beats sidescrolling Mario platforming.

Except for Little Big Planet.

But still, I'm really excited about NSMB wii

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Because holy sweet Jesus that would be great. Especially if they had some "infected" monsters that were so frickin' huge and over the top that you'd need 3 or 4 guys to take it down.

L4D2tank.png
    Even in jest that'd be awesome, the frantic zombie rushing of L4D with the sheer chaotic power scale of Crackdown. Like you could have a big tentacle/blob thing that just absorbs everything in its path so your strength buddy has to pitch cars and fuel tanks and other explody things into it while the gunman shoots them to roast the thing on the inside, or a giant Deformed Pele kickin' shit around like soccar balls that the strength guy catches and then has to have the others annoy Giga-Pele so that he can throw it back and bonk 'im on the head without it getting deflected. Or some gigantic flying Hydra thing with your piloting buddy flyin' a big-ass chopper with the gun and explosive guys leanin' out the sides taking potshots while the strength and agility guys are clinging on for dear life beating the shit out of it. Or...well, anything, really.

EDIT: And for the grand finale the infection infests the Agency Tower itself, turning into this gigantic behemoth that you have to climb over and fly around and destroy bit by bit.

EDIT: And on the note of crazybigawesome stuff, I don't suppose there's been anything regarding, say, Earth Defense Force now, has there?

Sorenson on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just don't get the excitement over New Super Mario Brothers Wii. It was good on a handheld. Multiplayer party game or not, next to Galaxy 2, it just looks stupid.

Anyone care to explain?

I mean, it may be fun, but I wouldn't chalk it up to a "big" reveal.

NSMB DS is still at $35, and is still selling pretty well. NSMB Wii is going to probably be $50, and is a Mario sidescroller, and will sell like hotcakes.

I didn't say it wouldn't sell. I didn't say it wouldn't sell like crazy. I'm asking why it deserves to be on a list of "big" reveals and why it looks particularly fun in a way that couldn't just be a DS sequel.

I mean, I consider a name-dropped Zelda DS game and an announcement about wanting to make an announcement for a Zelda Wii game are bigger reveals than that nonsense.
    There aren't a lot of console side scrollers anymore. This is the first Mario side scroller on a Nintendo console in a long time (Wario Land doesn't count). It's higher res than the DS and already shows promise of being more complex and interesting.

Many people on the show floor had the same opinion as you until they were able to get their hands on it.
    IGN wrote:
    Same look, same style, four players, on Wii, and full price? It isn't exactly a stunner at first sight.

After about a half hour with the game though, I can't wait for more. It's fun as hell to play.
    It often turns into this wave of co-op and chaos that always ends up in flux. Just like Four Swords I found myself helping teammates one minute (gulping them up with Yoshi and then spitting them at helpful items… as if they wouldn't be on their way over there without my "help") and then jumping off their head to get to a higher power-up the next. If you've ever pulled off a team attack in Four Swords only to pick up your buddy and carry him while collecting all the gems, imagine that in Mario and you should have a perfect image of New Super Mario Bros. for Wii.
    Sure, you could run through the original Super Mario Bros. 1-1 inspired level by just hopping and taking out goombas, but skilled players will work together to get giant Yoshi coins, hit up higher ground areas built literally on top of the regular path, or make use of in-level contraptions to work towards a greater good. That, or you could just do what me and a fellow IGN member ended up doing; grab Phil the IGN Stars editor, toss him back and forth by combining the 1 button with motion, and then end it all by holding him above your head and jumping directly into a pit. Man… it's tough to play cooperative when picking on people is so dang fun.

Plus it's a decent sized game, more than 80 levels.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    NH03NH03 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I cannot figure out why they haven't released a remake either. Its like some guy having the winning lotto ticket and then never cashing it in.

The two reason I can think of are:

Square doesn't want to be known as that company that made final fantasy VII. Square wants to be known for all of their final fantasy games.

Remaking the game doesn't mean it will be better than the original. Fond memories of the game you played in your youth doesn't mean you will like the remake, specifically because there's no way to capture the essence of the original and keep you wanting to play without making changes and keeping the game fresh.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FF7 is going to be remade. All the other older games are being remade, so why not? It's just a matter of when.

Besides, Square-Enix likes money.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NH03 wrote: »
    I cannot figure out why they haven't released a remake either. Its like some guy having the winning lotto ticket and then never cashing it in.

The two reason I can think of are:

Square doesn't want to be known as that company that made final fantasy VII. Square wants to be known for all of their final fantasy games.

Remaking the game doesn't mean it will be better than the original. Fond memories of the game you played in your youth doesn't mean you will like the remake, specifically because there's no way to capture the essence of the original and keep you wanting to play without making changes and keeping the game fresh.

Well I think the first reason is a bit invalid since Square is already known as the company that milks Final Fantasy VII. Besides that, why would they care what anyone thinks, they could make money yachts!

The second reason I could see, but you know that on release day it will sell a bajillion copies before anyone realizes that it doesn't capture the feeling of the original.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    JCRooks wrote: »
    FF7 is going to be remade. All the other older games are being remade, so why not? It's just a matter of when.

A PSP (or whatever portable is on the market when it comes out) remake is more likely as it would still sell a crapload and not require the resources of their A team. They also wouldn't have to update the combat or anything as FF7 gameplay certainly looks dated next to what we see in FF13.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just watched the SH preview on G4.

This game just jumped to one of my top "most wanted" for this year. It's like they integrated every mechanic I ever wanted in a survival horror game into one.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Is anyone's interested Todd Howard is being interviewed on Revision 3's live stream right now. Talking about Brink I think.

I'm conficted about brink. On one hand Splash Damage:mrgreen: on the other BethesdaD:

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So what's the deal with Brink, I missed the stream posted earlier

Sorenson on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Cave Story is still listed as "SUMMER 2009" on the Wii Ware list on Nintendo's E3 Press Site. There's also another Nicalis game called "Night Game(working title)" listed for 'FALL 2009'. Sweet.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Legacy wrote: »
    Cave Story is still listed as "SUMMER 2009" on the Wii Ware list on Nintendo's E3 Press Site. There's also another Nicalis game called "Night Game(working title)" listed for 'FALL 2009'. Sweet.

I had forgotten that Cave Story was coming along there.

Henroid on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    And...did anyone else see the site and/or trailer for "DARKSIDERS" for PS3 & 360?

http://www.darksidersvideogame.com/

Kinda rubs me the wrong way...

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What, the HUEG armor designs didn't give it away?

I used to think Joe Mad was a cool artist, but somewhere along the way he lost all creativity.

Also, he's clearly a gauntlet fetish.

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    JCRooks wrote: »

A PSP (or whatever portable is on the market when it comes out) remake is more likely as it would still sell a crapload and not require the resources of their A team. They also wouldn't have to update the combat or anything as FF7 gameplay certainly looks dated next to what we see in FF13.

That makes sense. All of the remakes have been for portable platforms, if I remember correctly. That would actually compel me to buy a PSP, so that I can finally play FFVII (the only one I've haven't played, not counting the MMO).

JCRooks on

• Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd give E3 overall a B/B+. Nintendo and Microsoft both had awesome conferences, Sony's was decent but could've been better, and the demos and demonstrations on the show floor have been quite plentiful. Really it's only Ubisoft's conference that's bringing down the grade.

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What, the HUEG armor designs didn't give it away?

I used to think Joe Mad was a cool artist, but somewhere along the way he lost all creativity.

Also, he's clearly a gauntlet fetish.

God of WoW?

I had to check the legal page to make sure Blizzard didn't make that site...

Legacy on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    JONJONAUG wrote: »
    I'd give E3 overall a B/B+. Nintendo and Microsoft both had awesome conferences, Sony's was decent but could've been better, and the demos and demonstrations on the show floor have been quite plentiful. Really it's only Ubisoft's conference that's bringing down the grade.

I agree. Yea, I bitched a ton when the conferences were going on, but when you get over the adrenaline rush/not seeing a game you want, you can take a look at what is actually coming out that will be worth your time.

There is a good chance I will get NSMB Wii. Am I disappointed of it not having online co-op? Of course. I still live in a good area where I can drive to one friend's place and we can have a good time.

I loved Super Mario Galaxy and will more than likely pick up the second one.

The only thing holding me back on getting a PS3 is the price. Even that might not be enough to hold me back next year to play God of War III.

There is plenty out already for the 360 that I haven't played yet. The addition of L4D2, Halo:ODST, and a few others just add to my backlog. Facebook and Twitter integration to any game console makes me happy. While I am usually next to my laptop when gaming, I now have the ability to move my console to a new room and don't need my laptop next to me to feel comfortable.

Overall this was a fun E3. From what I remember of last year, we didn't get much of anything.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yea, all three had some great stuff shown this year...this E3 was ten times better than last years.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm still grieving over a lack of Kingdom Hearts. But there is always next year... or TGS.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yea, all three had some great stuff shown this year...this E3 was ten times better than last years.
    Agreed. Last year's E3 was the worst E3 I've even heard of in current memory. Seriously, what were they thinking? :P

Still, a good E3 should leave me with "WOO!!!"'s, "Nooooez!" and "Huh?"'s in my opinion. This one did all three very well. :D

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The entire last bit of the Nintendo conference was a continually holy fuck from me..

"Mature version of nintendo franchise? TEAM NINJA?!?! HOLY FUCK!! Space and a space station, is this Star Fox?!? No then wha... ZERO SUIT OMG IT'S METROID!!! HOLY FUCK! HOLY FUCK!"

I had fun.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Agreed. Last year's E3 was the worst E3 I've even heard of in current memory. Seriously, what were they thinking? :P

Still, a good E3 should leave me with "WOO!!!"'s, "Nooooez!" and "Huh?"'s in my opinion. This one did all three very well. :D

I was doing a lot of muting and "Oh my God". Seriously, Ubisoft, the fuck? Overall, I'm just a little disappointed due to the lack of videos and information on both Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 coming out of this E3. We had a whole ton of cool demonstrations last year for the former. Granted, they are showing some of the latter, but they're being extremely tight lipped and only giving us a blink of footage, largely combat on a bridge.

Those were my two most anticipating games for this E3. :(

At the very least, one is about four and a half months away and the other seven. That's not too far to wait and it gives me plenty of time to finish what I'm doing now, finish Dragon Age and Alpha Protocol, and then start Mass Effect 2.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    frankly, i'm surprised we didn't see anything on monster hunter tri...

Guek on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You all seem to forget a little thing called PAX.

I am hopeful that we'll see a lot more of certain games then. That's what happened last year, certainly. Demos for everyone, not just press/media!

JCRooks on

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So what happened during the squenix conference?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pretty sure they just talked about Final Fantasy XIV.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Legacy wrote: »
    And...did anyone else see the site and/or trailer for "DARKSIDERS" for PS3 & 360?

http://www.darksidersvideogame.com/

Kinda rubs me the wrong way...
    Looks like a mediocre post-apocalyptic dark fantasy God of War. Hopefully good enough to pick up when it gets cheap?

JAEF on
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    Overall, I'm just a little disappointed due to the lack of videos and information on both Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 coming out of this E3. We had a whole ton of cool demonstrations last year for the former. Granted, they are showing some of the latter, but they're being extremely tight lipped and only giving us a blink of footage, largely combat on a bridge.

Those were my two most anticipating games for this E3. :(

At the very least, one is about four and a half months away and the other seven. That's not too far to wait and it gives me plenty of time to finish what I'm doing now, finish Dragon Age and Alpha Protocol, and then start Mass Effect 2.

Its just your luck, Bioware has an hour long thing tomorrow revolving around Dragon Age and Mass Effect. IGN has it on their feed for Thursday.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And the Square Enix conference was just about FFXIV. I'm guessing that they werent going to announce it but Sony convinced them and they thought that some stuff should be said.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guek wrote: »
    frankly, i'm surprised we didn't see anything on monster hunter tri...
    Talking about monster hunter wii, gaf mentioned that they're releasing a bundle in japan with it, the new black wii, and the awesome new classic controller. (spoiler for large image)
    mainimg.jpg

Also Brink is a new objective based FPS developed by Splash Damage, who did the amazing Enemy territory. It is based around completing objectives, though I can't really tell if it's SP or MP. They're using a modified version of the quake wars engine, but it's amazing how much more they've been able to squeze out of it, IMO it's looking almost as good as a idtech 5 game. They also have a pakour movement system, in addition to the usual running and jumping, you can go to your map, mark a point, and hold a button and it'll do the transversal for you automatically, which I'm not sure how I feel about. I know it's a hive of scum and villany, but I'd really suggest reading the gaf thread on it, since the lead developer is revealing a lot of details there.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think I read it's a mix of multi and singleplay. The art style looks really cool.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Man that black Wii and controller look classy as balls.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It would've been awesome if that was the fabled HD Wii, based on how clear that image on the TV is.

• Options
    edited June 2009
    If that Wii has a PS3 inside of it I might buy it.

JAEF on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    It would've been awesome if that was the fabled HD Wii, based on how clear that image on the TV is.

Maybe if people stopped buying the cheapest HDTV they could find with craptacular scaler chips, it could look like that.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is anything scheduled to happen for Thursday, or is it just a wrapping up of interviews and demoing?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    nothing I've heard of, monday-tuesday-wednesday was it, the rest is just floorshow time.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Maybe if people stopped buying the cheapest HDTV they could find with craptacular scaler chips, it could look like that.

...and that right there is the problem with HDTVs. Too much room for buyer remorse.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
This discussion has been closed.