As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rumor] Shigeru Miyamoto leaving Nintendo ?

el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
So guys, I'm not a big fan of rumors in general, but Iwatas statement about Miyamoto (isn't infallible, there are many people at Nintendo who are as important etc) plus his supposed no-show at E3 (the conference, mind you), got me thinking - what consequences would that have for Nintendo and/or the industry as a whole ?
Links:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/miyamoto-is-not-god-says-iwata

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/no-miyamoto-for-nintendo-e3-conference

A little too conclusive, but a good read anyway:
http://www.slashgamer.com/2009/05/25/iwata-speaks-about-nintendo-and-life-after-miyamoto/

ninja edit: I myself do find it hard to believe, if only for Nintendos conservative attitude, but I have a weird feeling about this one.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

el_vicio on

• freelancepolicefreelancepolice Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I reckon he'd be more likely to "move upstairs" and have a much more hands off approach.

freelancepolice on
    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought Nintendo was having a conference and some sort of presentation featuring Miyamoto?

Henroid on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    I thought Nintendo was having a conference and some sort of presentation featuring Miyamoto?

Yup, same roundup they have every year. Miyamoto shows his latest creation and answers press questions. The "rumour" in the OP is typical bullshit rumourmongering done without even simplest background checking.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yeah, I just saw a listing of conferences and Nintendo has two; one without and then after the Sony conference, they have another specifically with Miyamoto.

Undead Scottsman on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well that was easy.

Any other pressing matters that need solving while I'm still awake?

Henroid on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well that was easy.

What do you want for breakfast when you wake up?

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    edited June 2009
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Well that was easy.

What do you want for breakfast when you wake up?

A hooker and 40 oz.

Henroid on
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yeah, I just saw a listing of conferences and Nintendo has two; one without and then after the Sony conference, they have another specifically with Miyamoto.

Sauce ?
    I still see just one, and there's the behind-closed-doors thingy mentioned by eurogamer

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What a silly time to start a rumour like this being that it can be disproven so quickly.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Even if it were true, asking if it would have an impact on the industry as a whole, at this point in time, is probably taking things a bit far.

I'm not sure it would have much impact on Nintendo, really, from the viewpoint of the average consumer.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    1 person leaving any post at any company will never impact the industry as a whole. Doesn't matter who you are.

It might mean some ramifications for the company, but lets be serious.

Besides, Miyamoto will most likely never leave Nintendo. Why would he?

Endomatic on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    What a silly time to start a rumour like this being that it can be disproven so quickly.

I just want you to know your avatar and title made me laugh

Algertman on
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Out of interest, just how hands-on is Miyamoto in development nowadays anyway? The Zelda series is pretty much left to Aonuma now isn't it? And according to Wikipedia, Galaxy was overseen by Yoshiaki Koizumi.

Not that I don't love the Shig of course - I'm just curious.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    el_vicio wrote: »

Sauce ?
    I still see just one, and there's the behind-closed-doors thingy mentioned by eurogamer

Whoops, misread your post. Yeah, the second one is probably something of a different sort than the first one. I think everyone here just file them all under conferences.

Undead Scottsman on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    Out of interest, just how hands-on is Miyamoto in development nowadays anyway?

By my understanding he supervises all 1st / 2nd party projects, but takes more active part only in most critical projects (Zelda TP, Galaxy, Wii Fit, Punch-Out).

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I reckon he'd be more likely to "move upstairs" and begin scheduling the rapture.

That seems a little more in line with the expectations everyone has for him.

Threepio on
    142.jpg