As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buy electric components

VistiVisti Registered User regular
Hi guys, I've been itching to do some building and therefore I require a certain amount of capacitators, diodes, resistors and whatchamacallits. The only places I see online are for small businesses, though, and you can't order less than 100 at a time and while I certainly see the awesomeness in having enough for a long time, I would like to see if it's even something I'll enjoy doing before dropping a bunch of cash like that.

So, where do you guys buy your electric components?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Visti on

• FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know if they're the cheapest, but I've purchased some stuff from Allied Electronics. They'll even send you an enormous catalog you can use as ballast for a crane or to bludgeon people to death.

Fats on
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So are you really in Denmark?

If so, try looking at Digikey Denmark - free shipping on orders over 65 euros, apparently.

If you're buying in low quantities, you'll find that it's the shipping that costs the most.

Alternatively, another international electronics supplier that I use is Farnell - and they have a local Denmark site set up as well.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll second Allied (although if you're in Denmark, might not be your best choice...). Just keep in mind you'll want to buy stuff all at once. Nearly every electronics components seller has both minimum orders (Allied is pretty reasonable in that respect in that they only add a $5 handling charge on orders below $25) AND astronomical shipping costs. As you already saw, a lot want you to order in manufacturing quantities (which is pretty much useless for hobbists).

Make a list of eveything you want and don't leave stuff off. Making a second order for that one thing you forgot will kick you in the pants (been there, done that).

darkgrue on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow, Allied have a pretty nice selection, I might order rarer parts there and look harder for an electronics shop somewhere nearby..

Edit: Uuuh, Digikey looks nice.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Am I missing something, or is Allied trying to sell standard keyboards for $100 and 512MB flash drives for $75?

TL DR on
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Digikey will have pretty much anything you need, as well as more complicated integrated circuits and the like.

Some parts have minimum orders which can suck, but I'm pretty sure you can buy just one of most of what they offer.

fshavlak on
    edited June 2009
    I need some integrated circuits, but they seem to have them, so that's great!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    I need some integrated circuits, but they seem to have them, so that's great!

I think ICs is digikey's main business. They got everything. You could build a pretty decent single board computer with components just from their site. RAM, CPU, usb controllers, network controllers, bus controllers of various types, they got it all.

fshavlak on
    edited June 2009
    Also, forgot about Mouser Denmark.

Edit: Ah, also. Not sure how familiar you are with electronics, but make sure you buy the right footprints for your component!

If you're just starting out, typically you want the components which are "through hole". Through hole ICs have footprints that are like "DIP-8" or "PDIP-16". Do *not* buy the surface mount versions (e.g. "SOIC-8", "TQFP-32", "SOT-5") of the components unless you have a circuit board that has that particular footprint.

The trouble (?) is that Mouser/Digikey/Farnell will often stock everything, and you may find that you have bought something that you don't have the resources to use.

ecco the dolphin on
    edited June 2009
    The schematic I'm planning on following specify parts like, for example, LM741 (or equiv TL071, LF411) DIP* - I assume that would just be any DIP-, then?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    The schematic I'm planning on following specify parts like, for example, LM741 (or equiv TL071, LF411) DIP* - I assume that would just be any DIP-, then?

Just make sure the pins on what you buy match what the schematic specifies. Digikey has datasheets online for most of their ICs so just do your homework and you'll be alright.

fshavlak on
    edited June 2009

Yup - although every single LM741 in an IC that I've seen have been in DIP-8 (the 8 represents 8 pins). Single opamps (like the LM741, TL071, LF411) tend to have the exact some footprint so that you can substitute them in for one another pretty easily.

This is not always true for other components though.

ecco the dolphin on
    edited June 2009
    Hm, I hadn't even thought to look at the datasheets, I'm pretty new to all of this and this is probably going to be the first thing I built not having bought a kit for.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Once you start messing around with electric components yourself you begin to realize, datasheets are your lifeline.

Really, all my amateur electric building work can be summed up as "I correctly read the datasheet." :lol: Wasn't much to it other than that and some shitty high school electronics knowledge.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a Digikey catalog from a few years back. Sometimes you can talk the suppliers into sending you free samples. Also, you can try and hunt around for a good industrial electronics supply store. There are a few around here and there.

lilB on
    edited June 2009
    That would be sweet and since I only need like one or two ICs, that even seems plausible.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    www.conrad.de
    www.pollin.de should have some stuff too, they're based in germany

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    Danish, eh? ELFA. Though I think most of their electronic stuff is in 50+ bulk units.

Echo on
    edited June 2009
    That would be sweet and since I only need like one or two ICs, that even seems plausible.

Oh that's right. Samples. Best thing to happen when I was an undergrad and needed some ICs for projects. =)

For the 741, try National:

http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM741.html

I'm still pretty amused that the 741 is in use. It's got historical meaning, yes... and it does what it does very well.

ecco the dolphin on
    edited June 2009
    How would one word an enquiry for free samples? To you hint at a possible need for more in the future? Should you be blunt about it?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How would one word an enquiry for free samples? To you hint at a possible need for more in the future? Should you be blunt about it?
    1. Hit the button that says samples
    2. Sign up for an account
    3. ???
    4. ELECTRONICS!

If they don't have an automated system like National or Freescale, give a sales rep a call.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited June 2009
    Actually, thinking about it more, you sure you don't have an electronics store near you that sells bits and ends?

If you're looking for common ICs like general purpose opamps (the 741), they tend to be commonly available and dirt cheap.

ecco the dolphin on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Future Electronics is good:
    http://www.futureelectronics.com/

North American, though.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited June 2009
    Actually, thinking about it more, you sure you don't have an electronics store near you that sells bits and ends?

If you're looking for common ICs like general purpose opamps (the 741), they tend to be commonly available and dirt cheap.

Hm, I asked around and people seem to say that most of the small electronics shops have closed down because they can't compete with the online ones, but I did get one address. I should probably go there first.

So.. National just gives you up to five free stuffz? That's neat. I wish I could order more different samples at once to avoid that stupid shipping.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, semiconductor companies make their money from other companies buying 3 jillion ICs, not from the hobbyists, so it's in their best interest to send people samples. Helps to get business.

Pretty sure you should be able to grab 5x samples of other stuff too, or at least that's the way Freescale does it. I'd get yourself a 555 timer, maybe an LM311.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited June 2009
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    Yeah, semiconductor companies make their money from other companies buying 3 jillion ICs, not from the hobbyists, so it's in their best interest to send people samples. Helps to get business.

Pretty sure you should be able to grab 5x samples of other stuff too, or at least that's the way Freescale does it. I'd get yourself a 555 timer, maybe an LM311.

That looks pretty sweet for oscillation, but I think I'd be in over my head trying to incorporate it in the simple synth design, I'm following. First project and all that.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Oh yeah, just based on
    I wish I could order more different samples at once to avoid that stupid shipping.
    I thought you might want to get some other ICs right now to lower shipping costs.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited June 2009
    Oh, I see! Yeah, I should do that, but what that comment was really about was that it seems that they put their handling fee and shipping on each item that you order as a sample, so you can't get it sent at once? Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Oh, I see! Yeah, I should do that, but what that comment was really about was that it seems that they put their handling fee and shipping on each item that you order as a sample, so you can't get it sent at once? Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Ah, alright. I haven't worked with National, so I don't actually know - some waive all costs, but you'd think they would at least combine shipping.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited June 2009
    I haven't ordered anything yet, I'm going to try writing Elfa and other closer supplies first, perhaps there are some UK-based ones that handle it sort of similarly, because that National automatic sample sending thing is pretty cool.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just thought I'd chip in and let you know that some lovely free stuff from Texas Instruments just arrived for me by international priority mail from America. Not sure if they will send to Denmark, but if so, get some stuff from them (A++ would pay absolutely nothing again).

While I'm at it heres a few UK based online electronics shops. Probably not that helpful, but can't hurt:

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

edited June 2009
    I'll look into that! Thanks!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]