As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular

GPIA7R on

• Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My parents have U-Verse, and just based on the channel lineup, I would switch if it were available in my area. Their On Demand selection is seriously lacking compared to Comcast, however.

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    I'm currently rolling with Comcast HDTV (free DVR), and just the regular broadband internet package.

Seems as though ATT U-Verse just became available in my area, so I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with it and if you would reccomend it.

First - I took a look at their ridiculous website... the Internet speed chart is hilarious, stating you need 6+ Mbps for gaming and whatnot, and like 18+ mbps for streaming video XD I'm sure they're making a lot of money from the gullible people that believe that.

Now, the part about the U-Verse internet options that actually interests me is the word fiber. I'd love to know how ATT's fiber compares to Comcast's internet service. I've gotten nothing but crappy throttled speeds with Comcast... Would those of you that are U-Verse users say otherwise?

HDTV is important, as well... and in one review I read, it said that ATT's HD is a bit more compressed and softer than Comcast... but not too noticable. I dunno, I've got a nice HDTV, so I do want to be sure I'm fully utilizing it.

Anyway, any opinions you have on these two services are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It may vary from area to area, but where I live, U-verse's HD channels are awful. They're just way too compressed - it's like watching a RealMedia video circa 1998, only in high definition.

Clipse on
  • Options
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Comcast has better OnDemand.
    Comcast has faster internet packages, especially if you live in one of the DOCSIS 3 areas.
    U-Verse has a better DVR system when it works. About every 2-3 weeks my box will loose all of my saved programs.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The U-Verse box my parents have makes this annoying dialing noise every 15-20 mins or so.

Comcast definitely has a better selection, but AT&T just started the service so I would imagine it would be comparable down the road.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We have U-Verse at our house, and my complaints with the service are minor ones. I've never experienced the above problems, with my DVR wiping my programs (I have Office episodes on there from over a year ago still) or strange sounds coming from the unit; these sound like problems caused by a defective box. If your programs get deleted, you might want to check your settings because it will automatically delete things to make room if you run out of space.

As for my complaints, they are as follows:
    -OnDemand has some good stuff, but is still lacking compared to when I had Comcast in my old house.
    -The cable internet can be a blessing and a curse. Sometimes it will run smooth as butter, and other times I get dropped for no reason and have to manually reconnect. This may have to do with the area etc.
    -Lots of HD channels, but sometimes I can't even tell the difference between the HD version and the standard version of a channel.
    -Menu can get some slowdown, which sometimes is a nuisance.

I loved Comcast's movie selections when I had it at my old house, but the internet was worse than U-Verse. Again, this is all anecdotal evidence which can be attributed to location.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's not my settings. Everything will get deleted except all of my custom settings as in what shows should be recorded among other things.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    It might an area by area thing. I've never had my box do odd things. My HD channels look good, but then I'm not sure what to compare them to. The only channel I've thought might be compressed was Fox, because shows like House with flat wall dark backgrounds look pixelated a bit, but I attributed that to 720p upscaling. I'd have to check that. I do like the web dvr function, I can set something from work I may have forgotten about at home, which is great.

On the internet end, I have not had my internet drop connections and my speeds are great. I am more than happy with the internet side of my u-verse package, although my area only has 10mbs and not the 18mbps package.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    KalrenKalren Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had Uverse in San Diego for close to a year before having to give it up when I moved, and I would heartily recommend it in that area.

My other options were Cox Cable and Internet, and I can definately say that both internet connection quality and speed and TV picture quality were a step up from Cable.

Don't get caught up thinking that it's a fiber internet connection, like Verizon's FiOS service. In most places, it's Fiber to the Node at best. In very few areas, it's Fiber to the Home, but it's the exception rather than the rule. Mostly, it'll be fiber to the node, then some sort of copper connection carrying a modified DSL signal into your house. With that said, it has all the benefits of DSL (less users per node, much steadier upstream/downstream connection speed, etc) without most of the drawbacks (slow speed/high cost).

It may be difficult to get Internet service without TV service at first, but when I signed up, they were offering the first month of TV free, so people were reporting lots of success subscribing for both, enjoying the month of free TV, then calling and cancelling just the TV service to get a dry loop connection for their Internet.

EDIT: Also, if you have many HDTVs in your home, there is a limitation in the service that only 2 HD streams and one SD stream, or I believe 4 SD streams can be viewed/recorded at the same time. With only two TVs, we ran into this problem once or twice when recording two shows and trying to watch another, so it may be a concern for you.

Kalren on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Now, the part about the U-Verse internet options that actually interests me is the word fiber. I'd love to know how ATT's fiber compares to Comcast's internet service. I've gotten nothing but crappy throttled speeds with Comcast... Would those of you that are U-Verse users say otherwise?

Out of curiousity, what speeds are you getting out of Comcast in Indiana when you try speed test websites? And what speed are you provisioned for? In the New England areas that have gone DOCSIS 3.0, the default download speed is 12 mbps.

Disclosure: I work for Comcast in New England. I am not representing the company or trying to sell anything.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have basic Cablevision (work for em) service.

DL - 13.86
    U - 2.11
    Ping - 7

I'm in an apartment building as well. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter because of where it is located though.

It was from Bridgeport, CT to New York.

I try not to be a shill, but go cable.:mrgreen:

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had nothing but bad experiences with Comcast, which ultimately forced the move to U-Verse and I'll say I couldn't be happier about it. I realize that everyone's experience with comcast is probably vastly different than mine, but mine was pretty fucking bad. The internet service was downright awful for the last 6 months I had, with a disconnect, sometimes for up to 20 minutes, daily and random ping spikes throughout the day.

For the record, I have U-Verse TV, Internet and Phone and it's working out great for me, no complaints about ATT.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, ATT came to my area about a year ago and I made the switch a few months back from Comcast. Concerning compression of HD channels - mine was just the opposite. Comcast had done some funky 2/3rds compression to fit more channels, and I noticed a strong step up when I switched to ATT. DVR works well, although there's occasional hiccups with the HDMI syncing with my TV properly - I'll have to switch to another input then back to the HDMI in order to get them to sync properly. Internet works well, can't say I notice any severe steps up, but I'm paying less for the same bandwidth.

I've got the U200 package right now. Can't see anyone needing more than that.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I seem to have a mix of results. In my area Comcast has the fastest internet. The problem was it would go out at times. The worst was the Chirstmas of '07 where a DNS error killed my connection for over a week. The day before I had been laughing at Xbox users for not being able to play online while my PS3 was good. The outages happened against a couple of more times after that for days at a time. I switched to U-verse and I noticed the drop in speed though it was much more stable. My family is going back to Comcast for Internet only soon because we seem to be in DOCSIS 3 area.

For TV, U-verse had better color on every channel. However now we have overscan problems on our older CRTs. HD quality is about the same, besides the color issue. We're going to give DirectTV a try now since they're offering a good deal and we're tired of our DVR saves getting wiped. U-verse's whole house DVR is nice. But at times I wouldn't be able to watch TV in my family room because the front room was recording 3 shows & someone was watching a fourth. Also DirectTV lets me just buy the boxes instead of paying monthly fees for them, for years like I did with Comcast & now U-verse.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    I recently switched from Comcast to ATT-Uverse. I signed up for U-verse 200 with H.D. package no premium channel+10Mbps DSL internet, with comcast I had Triple play+HBO+Starz.

I switched because Comcast monthly bill sky rocketed and I did not want to use home phone since I have a cell phone. ATT-Uverse was cheaper when buying internet and TV

I found there is lot of less free video on demand than comcast, the HD quality "1080i" is good on both. You just have to switch the aspect ratio on the dvr. By default the dvr does not show 1080i. Rest I find everything good. I really love the Picture In Picture with Uverse. The Uverse menu is far better than comcast and the schedule shows lot more then comcast. Comcast menu looks old.

The Internet speed in comcast was a lot 16Mbps but with Uverse I am getting 10Mbps but with both I hardly use even 5Mbps since i typically browse the web, social website, emails, work or watch youtube videos.

Some issues:
    With my samsung home theater i see that the motorolla DVR that comes with ATT does not sync well and every few hours the TV video freezes and I have to stop and start the receiver.

If i use the composite cable for video and optical cable to home theatre i see that when i power off my receiver the audio goes out and then i have to remove the optical cable and put it back in to restore the audio. I had the similar setup with Comcast but it i never had these compatibility issues.

For now i am trying now to shutdown the home theatre. I wish I figure out this problem. Anyway I like the price I am paying. I am pretty much happy with Uverse if only these issues get fixed.

I guess if i add starz and HBO probably I get more on demand video but definitely it wont match comcast.

Rorschach on