As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XBLA etc.: Recalling the Golden Age of Arcade Brawlers

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wait, I got something before you guys?
    :x

Rizzi on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okay this is awesome. Team building is ace, you can choose a type of hat, victory dance etc.

e: oh god pelvic thrust victory dance

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I like the sound bank choices for the teams.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    hmm is team size of 4 max? I hope not because 8 is the only way to go

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    huh, shotgun doing 5 damage a shot? What's that about.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is KoF out yet? Can't even see a listing on the Marketplace for it!! My excitement is riding high!

Snare on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Good games Biggles. I still need to figure out what half of these weapons do.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sentry gun is so retarded. :(

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Haha yeah it's pretty crazy. Also is it me or does the name of the teams not get displayed anywhere?

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hmm - was about to pick up worms but then saw the mixed results here. Any answers on max team size?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Hmm - was about to pick up worms but then saw the mixed results here. Any answers on max team size?

I think it's four max, which is a little disappointing. I loved making eight-player custom teams; I remember particularly epic battles against my college roommate with his team of historical figures and my team of venereal diseases. It can still work with four players, but I wonder if battles will be over too quickly as a result.

Still buying as soon as I get home tonight, though!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's fun though. Someone should make a thread for it.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Played (and won) a ranked match. Not many people on at this time though, trying to get a 4 player fort game off the ground.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've never played the PC versions of the Worms games, so 4 worms to a team is what I'm used to -- ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

The first Worms game I ever played was Worms Armageddon on the PS1. No one in my circle of friends had ever really played it before. Picking it up for $9 used was an excellent decision.

SteevL on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Forced widescreen on a Worms game...That's a bit of a downer.
    Ninja Rope felt pretty good on the demo. How's the map choice?

Turkey on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So is KOF up yet? I'm really wondering what multi is like in it. Just two players? Lobby?

Aoi on
  • Options
    Iceman2343Iceman2343 The sun went down with practiced bravado. Bel Air, MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Worms 2 is pretty fun from what I have played, although I wish you could play with teams of 8 as others have mentioned.

Iceman2343 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Here are the problems with Worms as I see it:

Max team size of 4
    Hard to do advanced roping with a pad
    Campaign is just a series of pre-designed battles, rather than the awesome missions complete with briefing + ranking from the original Armageddeon.
    No custom maps

The lack of custom maps means Fort isn't as good as it should be since the inbuilt forts aren't all that great. Plus other game types like shopper/proper suffer without maps built specifically for them.

So yeah, a great game but I'll definitely be getting the PC version as well.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll wait for the PC version, depending on next week's games.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Quake Arena Arcade (aka the XBLA port of Quake 3 Arena) news: There's a simple screenshot available of a map-selection screen, not all that exciting, but the promise of more news coming soon:
    Gamerbytes wrote:
    It's been nearly two years since Quake Arena Arcade was announced at QuakeCon, and since then we've not heard a peep out of either Pi studios - until now.

Through the official QuakeXBLA twitter Pi Studios have revealed the first screenshot... of a level select menu. While not amazing itself it does reveal one thing - Quake Arena Arcade will include new levels, as seen by the inclusion of "Cliffside".

Pi Studios' website has also been updated with a few new tidbits - the game will allow up to 16 players to battle it out at once, the original 40 maps from Arena and Team Arena, and all the bells and whistles that come with Xbox Live Arcade games.

We expect that we'll see more about Quake Arena Arcade at this August during QuakeCon, so keep a lookout until then.

This game had better have The Longest Yard in there.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Quake Arena Arcade (aka the XBLA port of Quake 3 Arena) news: There's a simple screenshot available of a map-selection screen, not all that exciting, but the promise of more news coming soon:
    Gamerbytes wrote:
    It's been nearly two years since Quake Arena Arcade was announced at QuakeCon, and since then we've not heard a peep out of either Pi studios - until now.

Through the official QuakeXBLA twitter Pi Studios have revealed the first screenshot... of a level select menu. While not amazing itself it does reveal one thing - Quake Arena Arcade will include new levels, as seen by the inclusion of "Cliffside".

Pi Studios' website has also been updated with a few new tidbits - the game will allow up to 16 players to battle it out at once, the original 40 maps from Arena and Team Arena, and all the bells and whistles that come with Xbox Live Arcade games.

We expect that we'll see more about Quake Arena Arcade at this August during QuakeCon, so keep a lookout until then.

This game had better have The Longest Yard in there.

Ohhh, it's including the content from Team Arena, too. Nice. Definite buy for me.

No one has picked up KOF yet?

Aoi on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I keep forgetting fighters are stupid.

rayofash on
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zephos wrote: »
    Is anyone else having issues with live?

i cant seem to re-download any of my purchased arcade titles....

Live has been screwy for the last week in my experience. I'm having the same problem. Some games simply told me to re-buy them :P

Also randomly I'll get a pop up saying Live can't retrieve information, which is silly when I'm listening to music off my hard drive.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Now to wait for Shadow Complex.

rayofash on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just got punked by Live - bought Worms 2, tried to download and it gave me an error, and now it took my points without giving me the game. Anybody know how to fix it?

Edit: Nevermind, seems to have worked itself out.

Zek on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ok ive tried the demo for KOF and well it has the same borders issue that Garou has. And from what my mate has told me on the full version has some of the options/ features missing from the PS2 release.

Is it me or does Garou mark of the wolves look worse than the DC/ PS2 versions? I hooked them up to compare and the AES version all seem to look a lot crisper on my HDTV than the XBLA version.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So an animator at my work knows one of the dudes at RedLynx and he got hooked up with this bitchin cloth poster. We are huge Trials 2:SE fans here in the IT dept so he gave it to us. I can't wait for Trials HD to go live on XBLA.
    photo-31.jpg

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Ok ive tried the demo for KOF and well it has the same borders issue that Garou has. And from what my mate has told me on the full version has some of the options/ features missing from the PS2 release.

Is it me or does Garou mark of the wolves look worse than the DC/ PS2 versions? I hooked them up to compare and the AES version all seem to look a lot crisper on my HDTV than the XBLA version.

I am totally confused.

What border issue? Garou and KOF98UM are both pillar boxed to preserve the 4:3 aspect ratio of the original, and as such have 'screen saver' type pictures on each side. Are you irritated that you can't turn the 'screen savers' off?

Also, it's true KOF98UM has had features cut from the PS2 release (which is in 480i and costs at least five dollars more). Correct me if I'm wrong but the XBLA version omits the remixes from Dream Match '99 and the 3D backrounds. Also, I find it strange that a good amount of text is in Japanese. The netcode for UM and Garou is also bullshit but it's not like the PS2 even has online play in the first place.

Second, how do you have your AES hooked up to your television? What kind of television are you using? I find it hard to believe your AES would look better than Garou XBLA in 720p on any sort of high definition television. Don't take this wrong, I'm genuinely interested.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Picked up worms, pretty stoked since i loved the first xbla one.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Worms is awesome! Well, the demo, anyway. The Marketplace won't let me unlock the full version, oddly. :x

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sup, Monkey Island Special Edition coming to XBLA on July 15? How you doin'?

Also, this week's XBLA game (just the one, I guess!) is Battlefield 1943. I don't know much about the series personally, but this looks like sort of a miniature version of the full-fledged Battlefield titles.

Lunker on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I loved the original Battlefield 1942. Of course, half the fun of it was all the mods, like Forgotten Hope which added a lot more realism and Battlefield Pirates which, well...pirates! I was looking forward to Battlefield 2, but after running the demo my PC started acting funny and I had to reformat. I haven't touched a Battlefield game ever since for whatever reason.

Battlefield 1943 looks to change all that. Sure, they simplified it down to three classes, but I'm OK with that. All the previews and videos of it seem rather positive.

SteevL on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    So an animator at my work knows one of the dudes at RedLynx and he got hooked up with this bitchin cloth poster. We are huge Trials 2:SE fans here in the IT dept so he gave it to us. I can't wait for Trials HD to go live on XBLA.
    photo-31.jpg

wow! nice poster. really can't believe the amount of time I've spent screwing around in those games. Hope there are achievements for doing pointless stuff. I try and do as many useless flips as I can in that game.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sup, Monkey Island Special Edition coming to XBLA on July 15? How you doin'?

Also, this week's XBLA game (just the one, I guess!) is Battlefield 1943. I don't know much about the series personally, but this looks like sort of a miniature version of the full-fledged Battlefield titles.

Yeah. It's basically Battlefield 1942 (the first one in the series, which everyone loves) all prettied up and put on the bad company engine (frostbite?). That means destructible environments. They lowered the matches to 24 players at once (typically a BF pc game can do up to 64 players but when 1942 came out it was rare to find a 64 player game that ran well so everyone used 32 players), and since the lower player count, they combined the typical 5 classes into 3. Then of course there are only currently 4 maps for 1943 (but again, they seemed to have included the only ones everyone played anyways).

Slap that all together for 15 bucks and it is quite the value. I miss being able to fly planes in BF without vastly overshooting my target. I`m looking at you, BF 2.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When does the Summer of XBL start?

I want my turtles and Marvel fighter please! :x

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

The 22nd, so in two weeks. But since Monkey Island drop next week, that's a hell of an awesome gem to drop right before we hit the official promo.

I don't think we know anything about what order the games are going to come in, but Capcom's pretty heavily hinted that MvC2 is a "late July" release, so that's either the 22nd or the 29th. And I bet that Shadow Complex is going to be the last game released, so that's Aug. 19 (my birthday, hey!).

Lunker on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There is a little add for Battlefield 1943 in the spotlight section... there is even a download demo section!!!!

"This content is not currently available." D:

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    There is a little add for Battlefield 1943 in the spotlight section... there is even a download demo section!!!!

"This content is not currently available." D:

They are teasing us...

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

The 22nd, so in two weeks. But since Monkey Island drop next week, that's a hell of an awesome gem to drop right before we hit the official promo.

I don't think we know anything about what order the games are going to come in, but Capcom's pretty heavily hinted that MvC2 is a "late July" release, so that's either the 22nd or the 29th. And I bet that Shadow Complex is going to be the last game released, so that's Aug. 19 (my birthday, hey!).

Thanks Lunker...oh please let MvC2 be released this month! :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
This discussion has been closed.