As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XBLA etc.: Recalling the Golden Age of Arcade Brawlers

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is summer of XBL just a lot of good releases in a row, or is it actually some sort of special sale?

I really would like more than one deal a week...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Is summer of XBL just a lot of good releases in a row, or is it actually some sort of special sale?

I really would like more than one deal a week...

No sale, sadly, just an ad campaign for "Hey, XBLA exists, here's a group of top-flight XBLA games all in a row." Last year, Braid, Castle Crashers, Geo Wars 2, Bionic Commando Rearmed and Galaga Legions all hit one after another in a rolling thunder pattern. They tried a similar spring promo a few months ago but, IMO, the only stellar game in that lineup was the Dishwasher.

I forgot to mention, but this week's Gold deal of the week is apparently N+ for only 400 points. A killer deal, and I still don't own it, but I want to save money for the upcoming summer games. :(

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Woo, I never bought N+, and this may talk me into it. I got Braid and Bionic Commando Rearmed due to the deal of the week...and it looks like I'll get this too.

I need to save points for the other two games that I want once the Summer program starts. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    man i really wanna beat the co-op campaign on n+ but i'm stuck on this episode that is balls hard. it's usually me being good at them and hoping my friend can also complete it, but now we're both stuck in a rut. the level is just damn mean

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What time do they release stuff on xbla? I have tomorrow off and want battlefield as soon as it comes out.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, since Worms is somewhat on topic at the moment, what's the general consensus on the first Worms for XBLA? I recently picked it up after I got a good deal on points, and the multiplayer is fun, but I get raped through the pants when playing against the computer. Am I missing something, or is it really that difficult?

Ballman on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What time do they release stuff on xbla? I have tomorrow off and want battlefield as soon as it comes out.

4am EST is the normal time, but sometimes it is much later than that.

Edit: The bf1943 twitter says 2am (PST) West (about)

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Any word yet on pricing for Turtles or Shadow Complex? I have 1500 points right now, and will have to get some more, but I'd like to know what kind of cash I'm going to have to drop. I look forward to the deal of the week every week. I keep hoping they put Braid back up for cheap, since I missed it last time.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Any word yet on pricing for Turtles or Shadow Complex? I have 1500 points right now, and will have to get some more, but I'd like to know what kind of cash I'm going to have to drop. I look forward to the deal of the week every week. I keep hoping they put Braid back up for cheap, since I missed it last time.

Don't think there's a price announced for anything yet, though Shadow Complex is rumored to be at least $20, if not more. :?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

Don't think there's a price announced for anything yet, though Shadow Complex is rumored to be at least $20, if not more. :?

Wow, that'd be something wouldnt it. sheesh.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I'd never heard of Shadow Complex until like 6 minutes ago when I read a preview on Kotaku, and good god damn I want it so much now.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So I'd never heard of Shadow Complex until like 6 minutes ago when I read a preview on Kotaku, and good god damn I want it so much now.

I was just coming here to post this ... I was intrigued when the title was announced at E3, and this only makes me want it moooooooore.

ShadowComplex.jpg
    Mustard said he always wanted to make a so-called Metroidvania game, the kind of side-scrolling exploration-heavy, empowerment adventure rendered by Nintendo and Konami back during the NES to PlayStation eras.

Now he's got one close to completion, a spiritual successor to Super Metroid that runs on Unreal graphics technology. He describes it as a game of exploration punctuated by combat. It's a mostly side-scrolling game of military bases, robots, forests and caves, rich in earth tones and energized by explosions and energy blasts. , 120 power-ups — many of them hidden — and a bunch of core power upgrades. A flashlight reveals which boulders can be obliterated only once the hero has missiles, which hatches need a different gadget. A distant corner can only be grabbed once the player's earned a grappling hook.

The game has a "Jason Bailey" Achievement for speed-runners who clear the adventure in two hours — 10 hours fewer than Chair's testers are clearing it their first time through. And, get this Metroid sequence-breakers, it's got an Achievement called Insurgent that rewards players who can figure out how to clear the game while only obtaining 4% of Shadow Complex's items.

And the most Metoidvania thing of all... the map. It's drawn over grid squares. Seven-hundred eighty squares, not counting the skyline. Mustard's team of Metroid-lovers counted squares on the Super Metroid map. That total? Two-hundred fifty five.

ShadowComplex2.jpg
    Players will earn experience points for their hero in this game, leveling up some of his core abilities and granting, every 10 levels, a special power-up. More XP is earned for defeating enemies in creative ways. But Mustard said that players won't earn all their levels the first time through. The game's designed for an increasingly empowered playthrough each time players re-visit it.

In addition, a Proving Grounds set of 21 unlocked challenges which present puzzles harder than many found in the main game are available from the start. Imagine having to grapple-hook and grenade-toss one's way around a hanging vertical wall suspended over a pit of fire. Or imagine a microcosm of a Metroidvania game with hidden power-ups that's just a few rooms large.

CANNOT COME SOON ENOUGH

Lunker on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    (Shadow Complex awesomeness)

I'm really looking forward to this one. I'll be fine with paying $20 if that's how much they'll charge.

SteevL on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    After reading those blurbs, Shadow Complex went from "Really want this game" to "I'd still be willing to buy this game if it was a full priced retail release."

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow, SC looked Metroid-ish from the e3 previews, but I had no idea how similar the games are. That's awesome.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh hells yeah. Most wanted game right now.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Battlefield 1943? You mean I might actually have a reason to get a gold membership?

Crud.

rayofash on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Has anyone bought Battlefield 1943 yet? I'm wondering how it is, and if there are a lot of people playing?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's so strange that more games haven't taken the Metroidvania approach. Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night are pretty insanely well regarded by critics, and I don't think the DS vania games are any sales slouches.

The way Shadow Complex is shaping up, I wouldn't be surprised to see it as the big finale to the summer of XBLA promo, like Castle Crashers last year. And yeah, I would be all over this even as a full retail title.

Lunker on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's so strange that more games haven't taken the Metroidvania approach. Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night are pretty insanely well regarded by critics, and I don't think the DS vania games are any sales slouches.

Agreed. For that matter, I'm surprised that there haven't been more top down Zelda clones.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    anoffday wrote: »
    Has anyone bought Battlefield 1943 yet? I'm wondering how it is, and if there are a lot of people playing?

There's a thread about it here. I've been enjoying it so far, although I suck. A lot of people have reported issues with lag or not being able to connect to games.

SteevL on
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SteevL wrote: »

There's a thread about it here. I've been enjoying it so far, although I suck. A lot of people have reported issues with lag or not being able to connect to games.

I was looking forward to it a lot, but after having a lot of trouble with the demo all day I decided It's better to just wait a week and get in on it when all of the lag and connection problems have been worked out.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    From Capcom Unity's Twitter page, Marvel vs. Capcom XBLA is confirmed for July 29.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I have enough points for it, so I just have to save them for it now...no wasting them on another game.

I really want N+ though. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I almost bought N+ last night—I want to, but I also need to save money for the rest of the awesome stuff dropping this summer. :(

Someone on GAF says they got an e-mail saying MvC2 will be 1,200 points ($15), which sounds about right to me. EDIT: And Joystiq also confirms PR has the game at $15.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yea, I need to save my points for MvsC2 and Turtles in Time.

15 bucks is what I assumed it would be.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shadow Complex looks amazing, like easily the best 360 exclusive I have seen.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm going to wait until connection problems have been sorted out/Coral Sea is unlocked.
    I enjoyed what I played of the demo, planes are a little tricky to control though.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh please oh please oh PLEASE don't let Shadow Complex trip at the finish line. I'm intrigued just so damn much.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The acievements are going to be crap hard, me thinks.

It does sound good though, very very Metroid inspired: down to the missiles and grappling hook for certain doors and such.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Holy shit! Full Summer of XBLA lineup announced, Shadow Complex is only 1200 points!
    July 22: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles™: Turtles in Time Re-shelled | 1200 Microsoft Points

(Ubisoft Singapore®/Ubisoft®): Cowabunga! Marking the franchise’s 25 anniversary, everyone's favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game is back with a brand new look in “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled”. The arcade classic has been revamped with all new 3D graphics, but retains the classic beat 'em up gameplay that made it so popular.

July 29: Marvel vs. Capcom 2 | 1200 Microsoft Points

(Backbone Entertainment/Capcom): One of the most popular fighting games of all time, “Marvel vs. Capcom 2”, arrives worldwide on Xbox LIVE Arcade! Choose from 56 legendary characters from Marvel Comics and Capcom history, including legendary warriors such as Ryu and Wolverine. With online multiplayer over Xbox LIVE and enhanced HD graphics, choose your own perfect squad and do battle in the ultimate tag-team fighting experience.

August 5: Splosion Man™ | 800 Microsoft Points

(Twisted Pixel Games/Microsoft): Fools they were, to tread where knowledge should stay forbidden. For what emerged was not a man - it was a Splosion Man™."And all who saw him were 'sploded, for he was the fire and they were but meat."Able to 'splode himself at will, the Splosion Man launches his way through the game with an uncontainable force. From Twisted Pixel Games, developer of the award winning The Maw™, Splosion Man will keep you on your toes as you play through more than 50 single-player levels and 50 multiplayer levels. Nominated by GameSpy, Gamespot, IGN, and 411mania, this meat-riddled 'splosion-fest took several Best of E3 awards including Best Platformer and Best Downloadable Game.

August 12: Trials HD | 1200 Microsoft Points

(RedLynx/Microsoft): Nominated for GameSpy’s Best Downloadable Game of E3 award, “Trials HD” is guaranteed to get your heart racing! Put on your helmet, grab your bike and rev your way through a full-featured, physics-based motorcycle racing platformer with stunning HD graphics. Tear up more than 50 tracks and test your mettle in two unique game modes: Race and Skill. Create, share and download an unlimited number of free tracks with the level editor, and customize your rider to fit your personality.

August 19: Shadow Complex | 1200 Microsoft Points

(Chair Entertainment and Epic Games/Microsoft): Winner of numerous Best of E3 awards including Best Downloadable Game from 1UP, IGN, GameTrailers and G4TV, “Shadow Complex” is the next evolution in downloadable games, marrying the quality and depth of a full retail game with classic side-scrolling gameplay and the stunning visuals of Epic Games’ industry-leading Unreal Engine 3. Set in the world of Orson Scott Card’s best-selling novel, “Empire,” Shadow Complex provides more than 10 hours of in-depth gameplay and introduces a compelling universe in which you collect items and power-ups, and evolve your character into a force of destruction.

TMNT and Shadow Complex are definite buys. I'll try the demos for Splosion Man and Trials HD and go from there.

Lunker on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shadow Complex sucks.
    because it's not out for SO LONG

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I was hoping Turtles in Time was only 800, but four extra bucks isn't so bad. Shadow Complex being only 15 dollars is a huge plus in its favor.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If Shadow Complex lives up to what the developer is talking, I'd pay 3 times that for it. Assuming I'm not destitute by that point.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If Shadow Complex lives up to what the developer is talking, I'd pay 3 times that for it. Assuming I'm not destitute by that point.

Shhhh. They might hear you!

Worms, MtG, and now Shadow Complex.
    I've spent way too much this SUMMER on videogames.

I might buy Turtles, but what "extras" is it going to have? I played the shit out of that game back in the day but I don't know if I'll buy it again with nary but a reskin.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pretty disappointed in the pricing. Thanks to Castle Crashers and the PA game, 1200 is the new 800 :(

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Don't forget Braid.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd love to complain about it, but seeing how much game there is in Shadow Complex:
    And the most Metoidvania thing of all... the map. It's drawn over grid squares. Seven-hundred eighty squares, not counting the skyline. Mustard's team of Metroid-lovers counted squares on the Super Metroid map. That total? Two-hundred fifty five.

quiets me down a bit. I'm feel a little capitalized upon with Turtles, but it looks like they've done a ton of work on it, so it'll be paid.

Looks like I should just pony up and get the 5000 points plus another 2k card. I've got BF1943, Monkey Island, Turtles, Splosion Man, and Shadow Complex all over the next two months.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yes, I won't complain with Shadow Complex, as it looks like it is probably worth more than the 15 dollar asking price.

Turtles I'll still buy, even though it's a bit expensive. Splosion Man sounds interesting though.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    RaiekRaiek Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I first heard about Shadow Complex yesterday, and I have to agree that if it lives up to the billing I'd be willing to put down more than $15. I've often lamented about the lack of really solid side-scrollers, and Super Metroid is one of my all time favorite games.

I haven't been able to find the planned release date for Shadow Complex yet, anyone know?

Raiek on
This discussion has been closed.