Options

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Everybody Here Is Going To Be A Jedi

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dsmart wrote: »
    Lack of coherent story is not the problem with MMOs

There is no "the" problem. Fun is quite subjective, thus the idea of games occupying different segments of the market. A story driven MMO could very well stand to appeal to a decent segment of the market.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shrieve wrote: »
    I normally don't really care for cinematic trailers that much; I'd rather see some gameplay. But after that... o_O I'll make an exception because that was probably one of the best ones I have ever seen. Just epic. Wow I'm so psyched for this game. Sure it wont play like that, but w/e it's a Bioware MMORPG and I'll probably end up wanting to have it's children.

Y'know what it is? We don't get to see that kind of shit in a Star Wars setting. I think subconciously we're all thinking "What else is Bioware going to pull off?"

Henroid on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know what's weird about that trailer?

The droid.

It does nothing! It just rolls in and beeps for half a second!

And then it is never heard from again.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I did notice that, in addition to the Twi'lek, there was about a third of the dudes running out of the ship without sabers. Didn't spot any in closeups though.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Heh, turns out the last class for the Republic is Astromech Droid. That'd be hilarious.

And you translated them so quickly!

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Heh, turns out the last class for the Republic is Astromech Droid. That'd be hilarious.

It's the Republic answer to a spy character. And really, it could work if done right.

Not that I enjoyed T3. :?

Henroid on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow, that trailer was pretty nice looking... D:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    I did notice that, in addition to the Twi'lek, there was about a third of the dudes running out of the ship without sabers. Didn't spot any in closeups though.

I noticed that too. On third viewing, it looks like they're a whole bunch of Bounty Hunters.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Neaden wrote: »
    I thought I was sold on the Republic Trooper, but that video has me wanting to roll Bounty Hunter so badly.
    I just hope being a bounty hunter won't mean looking like Boba Fett. Not that he looks stupid or anything, there just is no reson for every bounty hunter to have a standardized look.

Don't you know. We're stupid. How would we know it's a bounty hunter if it doesn't look somewhat like Boba Fett.

Same thing with Jedi v Sith. If Sith didn't have red blades, I'd be utterly clueless as to who were the good guys and who were the bad guys.

/sarcasm

VoodooV on
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What good is the story without persistence? If your impact on the gameworld is completely localized to the character you are playing then they may as well have made it single player.

Dsmart on
  • Options
    ArtilleryArtillery Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What good is the story without persistence? If your impact on the gameworld is completely localized to the character you are playing then they may as well have made it single player.

lasting major impact? That's only worthwhile to have if you have players who are all in from day one that play 24/7.

Everyone pays the same for the game, having all content 'used' up and controlled by people who have been in since day one doesnt bode well for new players...

That is, if I understand your meaning.

Personally I am fine with localized impact. No one player in a mmo needs to be 'top dog'.

Artillery on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know what's weird about that trailer?

The droid.

It does nothing! It just rolls in and beeps for half a second!

And then it is never heard from again.

I can only assume it was a kind of story nod, and the little astromech droid is going to send out an alert or something.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow. Looking forward to this even more after that trailer.

supertall on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I see the two announced classes, are Jedi and Sith going to be playable as well? It may seem obvious, but it just makes me wonder. If you can play a fucking Jedi, why in the hell would you ever play any other class? The population imbalance would be insane, like 95% Jedi, 4% Bounty Hunter, and 1% everything else.

I just think it will be interesting trying to take the Star Wars universe and make it into an MMO where pretty much everyone is going to want to play the same exact character.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Artillery wrote: »

lasting major impact? That's only worthwhile to have if you have players who are all in from day one that play 24/7.

Everyone pays the same for the game, having all content 'used' up and controlled by people who have been in since day one doesnt bode well for new players...

Personally I am fine with localized impact. No one player in a mmo needs to be 'top dog'.

Thats why you make story the sum of player interaction. MMO's are social and economic microcosms and almost no one does anything interesting with that.

Dsmart on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    So I see the two announced classes, are Jedi and Sith going to be playable as well? It may seem obvious, but it just makes me wonder. If you can play a fucking Jedi, why in the hell would you ever play any other class? The population imbalance would be insane, like 95% Jedi, 4% Bounty Hunter, and 1% everything else.

I just think it will be interesting trying to take the Star Wars universe and make it into an MMO where pretty much everyone is going to want to play the same exact character.

Yes Jedi and Sith are playable classes. They just haven't finalized a concept for them yet, which is why they're still officially 'unannounced'. Besides, a lot of people want to play smugglers or bounty hunters. They're still cool Star Wars character archetypes.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Asherons Call did lasting major impacts very well. It can be done, it should be done, and its not done enough.

TetraRay on
    Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Thats why you make story the sum of player interaction. MMO's are social and economic microcosms and almost no one does anything interesting with that.

I think I get what's going on here. The solution is this:

It sounds like what you're wanting is Star Wars Galaxies pre-clusterfuck. It's not going to happen get over it now while you still can.

Edit: It's also a very real possibility that Bioware is going to attempt to do something like LotROs "Books". With more consistent output of such story arcs, it could work nicely.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

It's the Republic answer to a spy character. And really, it could work if done right.

Not that I enjoyed T3. :?

You... take... that... back!

T3 was pretty much the most awesome character. And he also upholds the proud Star Wars tradition of having the silent droid know everything. About the only thing I liked about the prequels was that R2-D2 never got his memory wiped, and thus is the only character to know everything that has happened.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, that trailer was pretty, I guess

But that's about it

Get that bullet time out of my Star Wars

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    korodullin wrote: »

Yes Jedi and Sith are playable classes. They just haven't finalized a concept for them yet, which is why they're still officially 'unannounced'. Besides, a lot of people want to play smugglers or bounty hunters. They're still cool Star Wars character archetypes.

Woah, no way is lack of a finalized concept is the reason they're not announced. The game itself is virtually done. More likely the slow unveiling of classes is one branch of their marketing strategy. Gotta keep that hype ball rollin'.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    BlutrasereiBlutraserei Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, that trailer was pretty, I guess

But that's about it

Get that bullet time out of my Star Wars

It was fine, shut up. I hate it when things move so fast that you can barely tell what happened in trailers or movies. The select slowdowns/bullet times are a nice touch for such a fast paced battle.

As for all this nonsense about population imbalance...you'll recall in Kotor II that Atton used to kill Jedi before he was part of the main character's party. Despite the seemingly overwhelming power of force users in the Star Wars universe, you have to remember that they are killable by more than just a Sith. I mean, look at Order 66....and did you see that bounty hunter chick in the trailer? Two fukken rockets man. Two of them. Bunch of dead troopers and Jedi. They'll find a way to balance it to make it fun to play for all classes. I mean come on, this is Bioware. These cats can do this.

This trailer...oh my god this trailer. The sith just look so. Bad. Ass. The Jedi look pretty awesome too. The bounty hunter. Fuck yes. Rrrgrhgrhgrhgrgrhg give moar. Fucking Bioware should make a whole new cinema trilogy in that CGI format too. All about the old republic. Shit maybe even with the Revan story and all.

I would watch that as much as I have the original trilogy.

Blutraserei on
    Tttnl.jpg

• Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holy Shit.

I give the trailer :^: :^:

Now show me a gameplay trailer that can capture that amount of badassery and I will throw my fucking wallet at Bioware.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This was mentioned in the G&T thread, but not here:

:^::^: to the Jedi and Sith actually wearing armor under their robes.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Man, I know it's really "EEEEE!" fanboyish to feel this way about a damn non-gameplay trailer, but I am really fucking excited about this MMO.

Except the whole "pay a monthly fee" part.

Havelock on
  • Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Well I think it's pretty much given that the majority will play Jedi/Sith as their main. However I wouldn't doubt a good chunk of people might play another class just to not be 'another force user'. Not to mention the way they keep talking about how the storyline and quests are different for each class I'm sure a lot of people will have alts to try those things out.

And who knows? Something like Bounty Hunter or Smuggler just might turn out to be more fun to actually play compared to Jedi/Sith. I mean yeah overall the idea of having the lightsaber and forcepowers is awesome, but maybe other classes will be more enjoyable to each individual. Guess we'll just have to see.

Oh and the whole press conference where they revealed the trailer was probably the height of nerdy/awesome. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-star-wars/50075 :P

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Woah, no way is lack of a finalized concept is the reason they're not announced. The game itself is virtually done. More likely the slow unveiling of classes is one branch of their marketing strategy. Gotta keep that hype ball rollin'.

What? TOR was in Alpha only a few months back. The original screenshots themselves were from pre-alpha. It is in no way virtually finished.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That was an awesome trailer, but it's stupid that the Sith are basically using Star Destroyers and Tie Fighters and their leader is pretty much Darth Vader 2.0.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Eh? He's more of a Darth Malak 2.0, who in turn was only very superficially Darth Vader-esque.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Or Malak back from the dead.

Am I the only person who thought dude looks like Malak?

Edit: DAMN

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

What? TOR was in Alpha only a few months back. The original screenshots themselves were from pre-alpha. It is in no way virtually finished.

By the "game itself" I mean, you know, everything functionally is laid out, there's not going to be any huge structural changes like class concept. Sure they might fuck with a lot of quests and balance and equipment and everything, perhaps even some cinematic scripts, but it's not going to shift dramatically.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant by concept?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Artistically, it's Malak in Revan's cloak.

Which is basically Proto-Vader.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holy fucking shitsticks. That trailer was... incredible.

I'm all jazzed up for this game now. But even more than that, I know that what we really need a fucking CG TOR cartoon.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The other Sith seem to be wearing Revan's mask, too. Which is both hilarious and confusing.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yeah. All awesomeness aside, I'm really getting tired of Sith bad guys with half their face missing.

The other Sith seem to be wearing Revan's mask, too. Which is both hilarious and confusing.

I caught that the second time around watching the trailer. Made me laugh some.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I didn't notice that.

It begs the question of just what did Revan DO out there in the Unknown Regions when he went to confront the True Sith? I'd assume he tried some kind of cultural war angle.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Or Revan could be the Emperor. I mean, isn't the Emperor supposed to be like really damn old? Like, 300+ years or so?

Of course, it doesn't make any sense because Revan was trying to fend off the True Sith.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I didn't notice that.

It begs the question of just what did Revan DO out there in the Unknown Regions when he went to confront the True Sith? I'd assume he tried some kind of cultural war angle.

This is very true. It is Revan, after all.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    ArtilleryArtillery Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I didn't notice that.

He walked up to the leader at that time all serious and bizniss like, ya know, cold caluclating look on his face. He slipped a glove from his hand and with one force powered swing slapped him across the face and said all sithlike "I say suh, I challenge you suh at dawn, 50 paces with lightning."

Artillery on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Havelock wrote: »
    Or Revan could be the Emperor. I mean, isn't the Emperor supposed to be like really damn old? Like, 300+ years or so?

They're actually claiming the Emperor of the Sith is 1300+ years old, that he's literally the same Sith Emperor who fled Korriban at the end of the Great Hyperspace War all that long ago.

Of course, no one seems to ever directly speak to the Sith Emperor. And he's disappeared even more than usual lately so who the hell knows.

Fiaryn on
This discussion has been closed.