Options

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Everybody Here Is Going To Be A Jedi

• Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh hey the official website has the Smuggler forums up.

O caloo calay.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The smuggler class is meant to evoke the Han Solo fantasy. The story, appearance, character, and the way the class plays in combat are all based on Han Solo, Lando Calrissian, and other great smugglers of the Star Wars universe. As a smuggler, you'll need to get by on quick thinking, charm, luck, and your ability to outsmart others. Instead of being a heavily armed tough guy (like the trooper), the smuggler has to be one step ahead of his opponents in combat, which is why we have implemented a "cover" system for the class. To succeed, the smuggler has to stun opponents, shoot from around corners, and, yes, shoot first.

NERF SMUGGLER STUN LOCK

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    ArtilleryArtillery Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dunno if it means anything, but I noticed at about 2:20 in the teaser there is a sith combatant who flips out over a piller and using the floors slams into the floor sending a shockwave out with both fists..and he isnt holding a saber.

Possible force backed teras kasi user? Perhaps some of the other classes will be force user types? I dunno..just thinking outloud

Artillery on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Link is here

The cover system sounds kind of interesting, I suppose.

We'll see.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That sounds rather nice.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Artillery wrote: »
    I dunno if it means anything, but I noticed at about 2:20 in the teaser there is a sith combatant who flips out over a piller and using the floors slams into the floor sending a shockwave out with both fists..and he isnt holding a saber.

Possible force backed teras kasi user? Perhaps some of the other classes will be force user types? I dunno..just thinking outloud

Not just you, I thought the same thing when I saw that.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Artillery wrote: »

Well, there's only four classes on each side, and Smuggler and Trooper are confirmed, so there's really only two left for force-users.

More likely there will be a lot of disciplines and branches within the Jedi/Sith classes.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    More likely there will be a lot of disciplines and branches within the Jedi/Sith classes

That would make sense, rather than have like 4 or 5 different Jedi/Sith classes and two non-force users. I wonder how the branches for the non-force classes will look if they roll like that, though.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The smuggler article covers speccing a little bit

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PvP confirmed?
    In fact, when discussing gear, we affectionately refer to one of the high-end smuggler player-versus-player reward sets as the "Bling" outfit.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Seems like it. And really, in an epic conflict between Sith and Jedi, how could you not have pvp?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Seems like it. And really, in an epic conflict between an Empire and a Republic, how could you not have pvp?

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Seems like it. And really, in an epic conflict between Sith and Jedi, how could you not have pvp?

I agree. Some had voiced doubts as to its existence, although this still leaves a gray area- maybe they'll do it LotRO style and avoid PvE/PvP balance issues. Speculation!

NerfThatMan on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    LotRO style "books" would be pretty cool. And thus far, all the classes officially debuted look interesting, its gonna be hard to choose maybe.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The story stuff for this game just sounds flat out badass. I'm really intrigued by the bounty hunter and scoundrel classes too. Really, everything announced just looks flat-out incredible.

I just hope the hype machine doesn't get too buck-wild crazy. I need to keep my hopes in check because it's so easy to be let down by MMOs. But after watching that trailer, I can't help but be reminded that Bioware + Star Wars is such a perfect storm.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I agree. Some had voiced doubts as to its existence, although this still leaves a gray area- maybe they'll do it LotRO style and avoid PvE/PvP balance issues. Speculation!

They are doing it LotRO style; hence the different classes for each side.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That Bounty Hunter chick was hot.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    CastigadorCastigador Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow. Amazing trailer there. Definitely going to try this out.

Now to decide, Sith or Jedi?

Castigador on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Neither. Become a Bounty Hunter and flame dudes!

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Neither. Become a Bounty Hunter and flame dudes!

But you can do that on forums for free.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »

She was pretty much what's-her-face from KotOR II.

Who was indeed by leaps and bounds the hottest in the game, but then she's all, "You're too old for me, go hang out with the blind chick or the stupid exhibitionist chick."

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holy crap does that trailer make it hard to wait for this game. Gonna be killin jedi/bystanders/children erryday.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Red-headed Mandalorian chicks... :winky:

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Red-headed Mandalorian chicks... :winky:

You don't have sex with them.

They have sex with you. :twisted:

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I meant the actual PvP system, the LotRO style Player vs. Monster Player. Or do we have confirmation of that as well?

NerfThatMan on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    why was the bounty hunter chick even in the trailer?

aside from :winky: I mean

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

To show off non-Jedi/Sith badassedry?

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

To show off non-Jedi/Sith badassedry?

:^:

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I meant the actual PvP system, the LotRO style Player vs. Monster Player. Or do we have confirmation of that as well?

No. But I mean, I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Do you mean one PvP zone, or what? Because the whole "The Republic has these classes and the Sith have these classes" isn't really any different than "The Free Peoples have these classes, and the Forces of Angmar have these classes."

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So, fully voice acted game. Boy, that's gonna be a bitch to make new quests for. I guess we won't be seeing many, if any, content patches for this bad boy, huh.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I dunno if I like this fully voice acted idea. Tortage in Age of Conan is all voice-acted and honestly, it just gets tedious after a while.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I dunno if I like this fully voice acted idea. Tortage in Age of Conan is all voice-acted and honestly, it just gets tedious after a while.

What made it even worse was that Tortage was the starting area for every class, so if you felt like trying a new class you had to listen to everything again and again and again.

With TOR, Bioware at the very least has the common courtesy of giving us multiple starting areas, which should be one of the first things you learn at MMO Design 101.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well hopefully you will be able to mute the voices.

It just seems like an obvious thing

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So do we know anything about PvP?

Everything I've read about this game seems to indicate the game is going to be very PvE focused.

Like to the point where all the people who want to play it exclusively to kill force users are going to be shit out of luck.

Which makes me oddly happy actually.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Everything I've read about this game seems to indicate the game is going to be very PvE focused.

Like to the point where all the people who want to play it exclusively to kill force users are going to be shit out of luck.

The Smuggler article was the first time we got confirmation that PvP even exists in this game.

And it was kind of an in passing thing.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm having a hard time envisioning how this game will work with Sith and Jedi where it won't be pvp centric.

Who, exactly are you supposed to kill? Raids? That's not very Jedi-like.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

The Smuggler article was the first time we got confirmation that PvP even exists in this game.

And it was kind of an in passing thing.

It'll probably end up having something like WoW's battlegrounds, where the brave Jedi and the fiendish Sith engage in bloody battles over a stick with a piece of cloth on it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Derrick wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time envisioning how this game will work with Sith and Jedi where it won't be pvp centric.

It's really not so confusing if you stop to think about it for a second. Bioware seems to be focusing on crafting impressive story arcs individual to each class. You're going to kill the other side in NPCs via those story arcs.

Your own mini-KOTOR per class I guess. Or perhaps not so mini. That appears to be the direction they're going in.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

It's really not so confusing if you stop to think about it for a second. Bioware seems to be focusing on crafting impressive story arcs individual to each class. You're going to kill the other side in NPCs via those story arcs.

Your own mini-KOTOR per class I guess. Or perhaps not so mini. That appears to be the direction they're going in.

That's not very Massively Multiplayer in scope though.

Let's be honest- all the major confrontations in Star Wars are duels or at most small engagements. The fodder go at it, but it's not the crux of the story.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited June 2009

That's not very Massively Multiplayer in scope though.

Let's be honest- all the major confrontations in Star Wars are duels or at most small engagements. The fodder go at it, but it's not the crux of the story.

I agree. Everything Bioware has shown us so far sounds like a largely single player game that "oh yeah if you want to you can go play with those other people, I guess". It's pretty damn weird.

Fiaryn on
This discussion has been closed.