Options

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Everybody Here Is Going To Be A Jedi

• Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    I dunno if I like this fully voice acted idea. Tortage in Age of Conan is all voice-acted and honestly, it just gets tedious after a while.

What made it even worse was that Tortage was the starting area for every class, so if you felt like trying a new class you had to listen to everything again and again and again.

With TOR, Bioware at the very least has the common courtesy of giving us multiple starting areas, which should be one of the first things you learn at MMO Design 101.

God yes. Tortage was pretty and all the first time through with my Ranger. And then I decided to roll an Assassin. And I got about ten minutes into Tortage, and at that point all I could think was "Not this shit again".

I think it'll help that each class gets a different place to start out, that way you won't be "Fighting the Red Hand" a million goddamn times.

Havelock on
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think I read that you can play the entire game without ever talking to another player.

It would be foolish to not have missions where you need other players, though. If there are missions where the Jedi need to hire a smuggler to get them onto a Sith controlled world, that would be awesome. Obviously, the smuggler should have something to gain by going there, too, so that it doesn't turn into extortion, but if there are a lot of things like that, I would be fairly impressed.

My biggest worry (outside of stuff I've mentioned before) is that there's not going to be anything to do once the storyline is finished, ie, no endgame. I don't want to level my smuggler and then just have it be, "Well, that's it, game's over."

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember them saying in one of the videos there will be party quests but they won't be essential to progressing the class storyline which could be cool.

Honestly what I'd like is if they have PVP but for the end game only. Like they have these well crafted storylines for each class to get to the level cap and then a PvP endgame that won't have to worry about scaling of abilities. When everyone and their mother had a root but I didn't have my root break yet was a painful time for my MDPS classes in WAR.

I also don't see why raids couldn't fit into the Star Wars Universe. Anything from a 6 man covert mission to drop a shield generator (perhaps on a remote forest moon?) all the way up to being a 60 man platoon in a fight take a Republic/Sith held city/world.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think I read that you can play the entire game without ever talking to another player.

.....That doesn't really seem like a MMO? o_O

TetraRay on
    Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, even in WoW, you can get to level 80 and have zero player interaction. Not saying TOR will be a WoW clone, but that concept has been done before.

I am intriged when he mentioned the 3 pillars of MMO's, combat, exploration, and progression. I was really worried that there wouldn't be exploration in this game, I hope they deliver on that. I really hate MMO's that have linear paths.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think he's severely underestimating crafting. Sure, most people aren't going to play the game to build blasters, but it's nice to have something to do that doesn't involve killing things.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember them saying in one of the videos there will be party quests but they won't be essential to progressing the class storyline which could be cool.

Honestly what I'd like is if they have PVP but for the end game only. Like they have these well crafted storylines for each class to get to the level cap and then a PvP endgame that won't have to worry about scaling of abilities. When everyone and their mother had a root but I didn't have my root break yet was a painful time for my MDPS classes in WAR.

I also don't see why raids couldn't fit into the Star Wars Universe. Anything from a 6 man covert mission to drop a shield generator (perhaps on a remote forest moon?) all the way up to being a 60 man platoon in a fight take a Republic/Sith held city/world.

If they do this, they had better not do the whole "sixty man raid, with a super-elite enemy every five steps that take sixty people to take down" thing. Unless you're facing Lovecraftian gods of ancient power, that doesn't make sense, considering the setting. Especially if you're fighting "Generic Dark Jedi Master" or "Generic Light Jedi Master", who would normally just get cut down in a hail of blaster-fire in less then a nano-second with that many people attacking them. I'm getting a bit tired of MMO's that just require everyone to rush the target all as one big zerg and pray that everyone has good enough gear to win the fight.

I'd much rather see a city siege where people go in in many, many, teams, and there are regular strength NPC's everywhere, duking it out on the streets.

Rather then have everyone navigate a pre-made route, players would have to find their way through the city, which would actually look like a city in terms of roads, to reach objectives to take them. They could even make it interesting objective-wise too. Maybe you have to take out the Ion Cannon in order to allow NPC troop landers on your side to land and create NPC spawns for your side, that spread out and fight.

Maybe in order to lower the force-field around the Sith Temple, or whatever, people need to take out shield generators, facilitating the need to split up or dig in around them, since NPC's will regularly depart from semi-random locations to try and take them back and repair them back up.

Maybe there's NPC commando's/bounty hunters/whatever working on your "base" as well, facilitating a need to hunt them down through a no-mans wasteland between the city and the starting base.

Hell, you could even make that sort of thing a PVP zone, and do what Warhammer Online failed to do, create a dynamic, ever-changing battlefield that you can't figure out how to min-max your way through to grind through it as fast as possible.

Basically, you know, stuff that requires more thought then just getting into one big group, pressing a couple buttons the entire time, playing the numbers game that games like WoW do with equipment, and getting yelled at by some jackass on Vent for three hours. I want raids to be fun for non-obsessive compulsive people to do over again, not just make it a grind for prettier gear.

If they did that, they'd definitely have my money, considering those are things that some MMO's are trying to do, but they always seem to get bogged down in the WoW/EQ-esque raidathon mechanics instead. Hell, World of Warcraft's Alterac Valley was similar to the whole "dynamic battleground" idea for a long time (Though much slower, and with less options, by far.) until they took most of the NPC's out, since people complained that they couldn't just rush to the enemies base to complete the match in ten or twenty minutes so they could grind for rep and honor.

Archonex on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thankfully I think Bioware will know when to ignore the whining minority in their game.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

If they do this, they had better not do the whole "sixty man raid, with a super-elite enemy every five steps that take sixty people to take down" thing. Unless you're facing Lovecraftian gods of ancient power, that doesn't make sense, considering the setting. Especially if you're fighting "Generic Dark Jedi Master" or "Generic Light Jedi Master", who would normally just get cut down in a hail of blaster-fire in less then a nano-second with that many people attacking them. I'm getting a bit tired of MMO's that just require everyone to rush the target all as one big zerg and pray that everyone has good enough gear to win the fight.

I'd much rather see a city siege where people go in in many, many, teams, and there are regular strength NPC's everywhere, duking it out on the streets.

Rather then have everyone navigate a pre-made route, players would have to find their way through the city, which would actually look like a city in terms of roads, to reach objectives to take them. They could even make it interesting objective-wise too. Maybe you have to take out the Ion Cannon in order to allow NPC troop landers on your side to land and create NPC spawns for your side, that spread out and fight.

Maybe in order to lower the force-field around the Sith Temple, or whatever, people need to take out shield generators, facilitating the need to split up or dig in around them, since NPC's will regularly depart from semi-random locations to try and take them back and repair them back up.

Maybe there's NPC commando's/bounty hunters/whatever working on your "base" as well, facilitating a need to hunt them down through a no-mans wasteland between the city and the starting base.

Hell, you could even make that sort of thing a PVP zone, and do what Warhammer Online failed to do, create a dynamic, ever-changing battlefield that you can't figure out how to min-max your way through to grind through it as fast as possible.

Basically, you know, stuff that requires more thought then just getting into one big group, pressing a couple buttons the entire time, playing the numbers game that games like WoW do with equipment, and getting yelled at by some jackass on Vent for three hours. I want raids to be fun for non-obsessive compulsive people to do over again, not just make it a grind for prettier gear.

If they did that, they'd definitely have my money, considering those are things that some MMO's are trying to do, but they always seem to get bogged down in the WoW/EQ-esque raidathon mechanics instead. Hell, World of Warcraft's Alterac Valley was similar to the whole "dynamic battleground" idea for a long time (Though much slower, and with less options, by far.) until they took most of the NPC's out, since people complained that they couldn't just rush to the enemies base to complete the match in ten or twenty minutes so they could grind for rep and honor.

how would you handle bosses, like say a sith lord or a jedi master? i'd hope they don't just make at-st type end bosses and just keep them as the filler between your objectives and the true bosses.

i mean i'd like the dynamic of having to have like a squad of players guarding the entrance or keeping reinforcements busy while the other squad does their best to kill the boss with some sort of system to prevent people from simply zerging the boss down.

it'll just be interesting how they handle sith/jedi bosses in general because basically in every movie and game it was always a one on one duel with the big bad.

Inter_d on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time envisioning how this game will work with Sith and Jedi where it won't be pvp centric.

Who, exactly are you supposed to kill? Raids? That's not very Jedi-like.

It's really not so confusing if you stop to think about it for a second. Bioware seems to be focusing on crafting impressive story arcs individual to each class. You're going to kill the other side in NPCs via those story arcs.

Your own mini-KOTOR per class I guess. Or perhaps not so mini. That appears to be the direction they're going in.

That's not very Massively Multiplayer in scope though.

Let's be honest- all the major confrontations in Star Wars are duels or at most small engagements. The fodder go at it, but it's not the crux of the story.

I agree. Everything Bioware has shown us so far sounds like a largely single player game that "oh yeah if you want to you can go play with those other people, I guess". It's pretty damn weird.
    Yeah, for as cool as the game looks they're doing a terrible job showing off the multiplayer aspect of their massively multiplayer online game.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

I also don't see why raids couldn't fit into the Star Wars Universe. Anything from a 6 man covert mission to drop a shield generator (perhaps on a remote forest moon?) all the way up to being a 60 man platoon in a fight to take a Republic/Sith held city/world.

That's what I'm talking about. It's why I said "60 man platoon in a fight to take a Republic/Sith held city/world." and not "killing endless sith lords/jedi council members to take a Republic/Sith held city/world." the idea being that your 60 man raid is just a part (albeit an important one) of the fleet taking the world and not walking up to various boss mobs and spamming abilities.

I wouldn't be against a boss mob for a smaller raid like the 6 man covert thing I mentioned. After all in a fight where 6 people going up against a small garrison that has a couple old republic equivalent AT-STs the vehicles are going to be the biggest threat.

For large scale stuff though I'd hope that the challenge isn't in killing bosses but moreso in the mechanics of the instance itself. Being in places at the appropriate time to turn the tide of the battle and whatnot. Maybe fighting your way to a cetain rooftop to act as spotters for an artillery barrage or sneaking behind the main fighting to destroy a reserve armor depot. Think Dynasty warriors with less of the killing endless chinese peasants and more of the trying to ensure that none of the various battlefronts are being pushed back.

All of this being baseless speculation/wishing (making shit up) because we don't actually know anything of course :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm having a hard time envisioning how this game will work with Sith and Jedi where it won't be pvp centric.

This article was released in Oct 23rd 2008. Whoever said that PvP was just confirmed recently is way off.
    Rich Vogel, Co-GM BioWare Austin

Rich: Another thing we don't want ... I'm sure that anyone here that's played an MMO knows you can get into a situation with a whole bunch of players smacking on one dude. You all surround him and it's like "yeah, kill him!" Wow, that's heroic. It's great that all of us good guys got together and slammed that orc down. That's something we don't want to have happen in our game and we're working towards much more epic, heroic battles. Where you're the guys who are outnumbered.

When you think about the movies, the heroes are the ones that get to act a certain way because they're fighting against the odds.

Rich: We have PvP in our game. There's a reason we decided to go with two factions – the Republic and the Sith Empire.

Gordon: It is called Star Wars.

Rich: The game is called Star Wars, Gordon has it right on there. This is a game about conflict, about change. It's something we always have to remember. When the writers are working on the story it's something we always have to remind them: Star Wars, there always has to be conflict. So for any kind of PvP mechanic we have, we want it to feel important in that context. There are certain things that means. That I can't get into.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would love raids to focus on fighting through an army rather then just just try and control the battle with one boss. The fact that once you learn how to down a boss in WoW you just repeat it every week really killed it for me

Gumpy on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »

It's really not so confusing if you stop to think about it for a second. Bioware seems to be focusing on crafting impressive story arcs individual to each class. You're going to kill the other side in NPCs via those story arcs.

Your own mini-KOTOR per class I guess. Or perhaps not so mini. That appears to be the direction they're going in.

That's not very Massively Multiplayer in scope though.

Let's be honest- all the major confrontations in Star Wars are duels or at most small engagements. The fodder go at it, but it's not the crux of the story.

I agree. Everything Bioware has shown us so far sounds like a largely single player game that "oh yeah if you want to you can go play with those other people, I guess". It's pretty damn weird.
    Yeah, for as cool as the game looks they're doing a terrible job showing off the multiplayer aspect of their massively multiplayer online game.

Pretty much this. The trailer is pretty but bleh, it's a CGI trailer with 0 game play and 0 information. I hope Bioware has a panel or a showing or something and they actually give us real info.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wow, i just watched that vid in HD and my speakers maxed and I got goose-bumps.

gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They've already said that they plan on releasing 20-30 minutes of gameplay at E3, so why can't you just enjoy the pretty cinematic?

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    They've already said that they plan on releasing 20-30 minutes of gameplay at E3, so why can't you just enjoy the pretty cinematic?

Because pretty cinematics are stupid. I want real info and real game play footage.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Which they've already said that would provide, after they release the awesome cinematic that builds up hype and excitement.

Also, your face is stupid.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Which they've already said that would provide, after they release the awesome cinematic that builds up hype and excitement.

Oh burn!

As, uh, strange as this MMO sounds I do have faith that if anyone can pull it off its Bioware. However it does seem like its a tall order. Full voice acting, PvP, each class having its own unique story, NPC party members (which have been done before, but I get the feeling these ones add to the story maybe?). On paper the game doesn't sound like an MMO at all.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man. The trailer looks so sweet on my TV.

devoir on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Axen wrote: »

Oh burn!

As, uh, strange as this MMO sounds I do have faith that if anyone can pull it off its Bioware. However it does seem like its a tall order. Full voice acting, PvP, each class having its own unique story, NPC party members (which have been done before, but I get the feeling these ones add to the story maybe?). On paper the game doesn't sound like an MMO at all.

But they have had nearly five years working on it.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Even if it is mostly a single player experience, I can't honestly say that I'd be all that disappointed.

However, I might not actually pay for it all that long if that is the case.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm really hoping this is a good game. I want a game to replace my WoW time slot so badly.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Where are people getting this crazy information? That one need never talk to other players, or that pvp will be like MMO XYZ? Unless Bioware had some crazy E3 After Hours session, we don't know that much more about this game than we did three days ago.

So far we have confirmation of:
    - a soldier class
    - a smuggler class with some unique mechanics (cover)
    - a bounty hunter class
    - a bunch of starting areas
    - some kind of pvp
    - a kickass trailer

Much beyond that, and people are making shit up.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They've said it will be possible to solo through the game. Grouping will be optional. The entire thing will be voice-overed. There's a whole bunch of stuff that you haven't listed that have been confirmed. Is it okay if we talk about those things?

devoir on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    devoir wrote: »
    They've said it will be possible to solo through the game. Grouping will be optional. The entire thing will be voice-overed. There's a whole bunch of stuff that you haven't listed that have been confirmed. Is it okay if we talk about those things?

Yes that's fine. Thanks for asking.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well technically you can level to 80 in WoW without grouping or talking to anyone at all ever.

But fuck is it boring. Even if you don't do any group quests, not talking to anyone is just fucking boring as all get the fuck out. MMOs are partly about the social interaction, and that social interaction makes the grinds so much easier to handle.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I've got a shocking suggestion:

Remove the grinds.

Pretty unlikely when grinds are a key mechanic for keeping players subscribed. But it's a nice thought though.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah it'd be pretty difficult to keep people playing for years if there aren't long grinds to occupy them.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Who's to say that their business model requires constant/consistent subscriptions?

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Who's to say that their business model requires constant/consistent subscriptions?

EA.

I mean, we don't know a thing about the pricing model, but I think it's fair to say that they're going to charge us every chance they get simply because TOR is billed as an MMO.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hasn't there been a lot of speculation regarding microtransactions?

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I've got a shocking suggestion:

Remove the grinds.

You need to watch the Zero Punctuation review of Tabula Rasa.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Who's to say that their business model requires income?

I'd wager that any business model will, or it wouldn't be a real business model. :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, even in WoW, you can get to level 80 and have zero player interaction. Not saying TOR will be a WoW clone, but that concept has been done before.

I am intriged when he mentioned the 3 pillars of MMO's, combat, exploration, and progression. I was really worried that there wouldn't be exploration in this game, I hope they deliver on that. I really hate MMO's that have linear paths.

This reassures me.

Exploration was my favorite thing about SWG. Probably what I want the most out of a SW MMO, really.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Infidel wrote: »

I'd wager that any business model will, or it wouldn't be a real business model. :lol:
    Lots of businesses manage to survive without making the same people spend $15 a month, every month, for years at a time.

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Whats their motivation not to charge $15, especially if people will pay it, though?

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm not saying they're going to eschew the subscription model entirely. All I'm saying is that they may base their business model around rotating subscriptions, microtransactions, or something else entirely.

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Infidel wrote: »

Lots of businesses manage to survive without making the same people spend $15 a month, every month, for years at a time.

And those businesses are not MMOs.

You know why Tabula Rasa shut down, and Matrix Online shut down recently? Because there weren't enough fucking subscribers! There was another one from NCSoft, a vehicle one, that shut down not long ago either for the same reason.

Now you don't need 11.5 million like WoW, COH/V and EQ2 have survived a long time with a couple hundred thousand and SWG has chugged along after it's initial surge. Hell, I'm pretty sure Everquest, DAOC and UO still have official servers up.

But what gives those 6 games the ability to continue on, where others have failed? It's the subscribers. You need people to be paying for the game in order to keep pumping out new content, like EQ2, and to provide the upkeep costs of the servers. People buying the game off the shelf, playing it for 2 months, then quitting don't pay the bills. They just don't. It's the people that stick with the games for a long time that pay the bills. They bring the steady stream of income in. You absolutely need an established player base in order to survive in the MMO world.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Please, God, do not let it be microtransactions. That is the worst thing to happen to gaming in decades.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.