Havelock on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    How about

The Toronto Canadiens Senators

The hatemail I'd get in-game would be totally worth it

I'm probably the only one that laughed at this. I think the only way you'd get worse hatemail is with either the Chicago Packer Vikings or the Boston Yankee Mets.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My Ship:

satellite_love2.jpg

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I will flick to a random page in a Culture novel and crib a name from that.

Here's to hoping for I Said, I've Got a Big Stick.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Here's the thing.

If they're gonna do ships (and I'm pretty sure they're not, at least not personalized ones), it really should be the purview of the smugglers, and one of the Sith classes. Maybe Bounty Hunters, I don't know.

It would just be silly if everybody was tooling around the galaxy in their own Ebon Hawk. Starships like that are supposed to be a business investment (that's why the Ebon Hawk keeps getting stolen), not your first Toyota you get when you turn sixteen. And really, starfighter possession would be even more prohibitive. Probably nobody should have their own starfighter, unless there is like a Republic/Sith pilot class.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Here's the thing.

If they're gonna do ships (and I'm pretty sure they're not, at least not personalized ones), it really should be the purview of the smugglers, and one of the Sith classes. Maybe Bounty Hunters, I don't know.

It would just be silly if everybody was tooling around the galaxy in their own Ebon Hawk. Starships like that are supposed to be a business investment (that's why the Ebon Hawk keeps getting stolen), not your first Toyota you get when you turn sixteen. And really, starfighter possession would be even more prohibitive. Probably nobody should have their own starfighter, unless there is like a Republic/Sith pilot class.

I don't have a problem with that. But in the absence of answers to these and other pressing questions we are free to endlessly speculate. Also, bounty hunter is a business. Having a ship makes sense. Being a soldier is a government organization. Being assigned a ship in some circumstances makes sense. In the movies, the Jedi order kept plenty of hardware for use by the members of its order. Those fighters that Obi-Wan and Aniken zoomed around in were property of the Jedi Order.

I would imagine Sith would work in much the same way.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As long as I can fly my T-16 Skyhopper down canyons picking off womp rats and tourist.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    The character classes are not your average grocery register biscuits. These are the heroes of their respective societies.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    That's like saying only Hunters should get mounts in WoW.

The only barrier to entry on ships is cost.

:^:

A ship for one means a ship for all.

Otherwise no one should get a ship.

Havelock on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Havelock wrote: »

There should be a expansion class where all you are is a ship. Possibly maybe an R2-unit permanently grafted onto a ship.

Your main content is in space, but you can also come into atmosphere and buzz the newbie leveling areas at Mach 10.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »

There should be a expansion class where all you are is a ship. Possibly maybe an R2-unit permanently grafted onto a ship.

Your main content is in space, but you can also come into atmosphere and buzz the newbie leveling areas at Mach 10.

Unitl a Jedi/Sith runs underneath your ship and uses a lightsaber to cut your repulsors.

Havelock on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Unitl a Jedi/Sith runs underneath your ship and uses a lightsaber to cut your repulsors.
    That's why you need a Jedi/Sith to surf on your ship so you can do proper fly-bys!

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How about... you have a your main class, which is a Jedi/Sith/BH/etc and then also have your secondary class, such as Combat Pilot, Transport Pilot, Stealth Pilot, etc. Some type of piloting career. Some of your primary classes abilities could carry over (smuggler stuff for the cool cats, force-enhanced reactions/missile guidance for the lulzforce users, enhanced tracking systems for BH's, etc).

I dont expect to see something like this right off the bat, but I think it'd be a really neat way to do the space exploration sometime in the future.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So who wants to get the new first post?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not me! :D

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My ship will be named Bill.

I'd like to see ships as a sort of mobile base. Give the character access to their "bank" of stored crap, maybe have a dozen or so models to accommodate the fact the low chance of a Jedi flying around in a Sith ship, etc.

What I think would be really cool is, if the planets are large enough, let you land your ship anywhere on the planet rather than designated starports. I doubt it would work with so many people playing in small areas and such, but I think it'd be nifty to soar over the landscape, find a spot that looks promising, and bring the ship down for a landing.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I would like this too, but I think it would only work anyway if the spot on the map you picked just pointed to an instance.

Terrain mapping the whole planet would not be a cost effective use of time, and terrain mapping several would just compound the problem.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Until a Jedi/Sith runs underneath your ship and uses a lightsaber to cut your repulsors.

Feh, A proper Sith will pull your ship from orbit and onto a group of newbies.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If ships were a commodity and not every class had them, like jedi and troopers, you could probably make pretty good money flying people around. stimulates the economy.

And what if i just want to be a galactic bus driver? Not a care in the world for the old 856 to Endor.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I also have no problem with ships taking the pooled resources of four to six characters to obtain.

Simply putting a monetary cost on them though won't stop everyone in the game from getting one sooner or later.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And what if i just want to be a galactic bus driver? Not a care in the world for the old 856 to Endor.
    That

That sounds way more fun than it has any right to.

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Designing a new starship for the Star Wars Roleplaying Game is a fairly simple process. Each ship is defined by a number of factors, including its size, its class, and its nine traits: Automation, Life Support, Stowage, Consumables, Hyperdrive, Ion Engines, Sheilds, Superstructure, and Weapons Suite. Each of these factors has a construction point cost, which determines the amount of resources required for building that part of the ship. After you've determined the total number of construction points a ship requires (from tables 1-1 through 1-11), you can determine she ship's base cost on table 1-12.

While a complete and robust set of ship options falls squarely into expansion pack land, it would kick so much ass.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That

That sounds way more fun than it has any right to.

when i played eve I flew an interceptor purely for the reason that I could just fly around at break neck speeds through asteroid belts.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You know what's fun?

Ripping through a 15 jump travel path and hitting 6 sectors of low low sec for the first time in a damn shuttle just to pick up a ship you bought. You know what's even more fun?

Flying the ship you just bought back through. My balls were in my throat the entire fucking time.

Havelock on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll start working on an OP if nobody else wants it.

exis on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Somebody should.

Scooter on
This discussion has been closed.