Options

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Everybody Here Is Going To Be A Jedi

• Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Havelock wrote: »
    I'm still laughing that I found useless little things in the trailer that bothered me. Hooray for nitpicking

Like that T3 unit?

T3: "bweep bwonk dweep deet*"
    *Master the Sith Leader Guy is over there kicking ass*

Jedi: "Guess I'd better go GLARGLBLARGLDIE"

T3 Was Super Effective

Havelock on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    kharvelan wrote: »
    honestly, I'm really sad about the trailer, I was hoping for actual in game play rather than a prerendered cutscene.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice cut scene . . . I just want to see in game action.

They're showing 30 minutes of gameplay footage at E3 as well.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    honestly, I'm really sad about the trailer, I was hoping for actual in game play rather than a prerendered cutscene.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice cut scene . . . I just want to see in game action.

How long does E3 run?

In a word, when should I expect to hear about this "30 minutes of gameplay footage" from a respectable gaming news source.

i.e., a forum thread.

Havelock on
  • Options
    kharvelankharvelan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

thats awesome news! be sure to post it when it hits the net

kharvelan on
    go fuck yourself PA forums
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210545/star-wars-the-old-republic-exclusive-qanda-the-smuggler-profession-and-e3-2009?tag=top_stories;img;4

This article here discusses some of the details regarding what they plan to show off in particular. The voice acting of the game and the Smuggler class seem to be top priority.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, because I'm bored and have little else to do, I've been watching this trailer a bunch, is it just my imagination, or is the Jedi guy's saber at the end not actually rolling on the ground? It starts out rolling normal-looking, then the business end lifts a bit as though it had a bumpy thing there, but there isn't one.

Actually there is a bumpy thing, and I remember thinking that was a neat attention to detail.

Scooter on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    So, because I'm bored and have little else to do, I've been watching this trailer a bunch, is it just my imagination, or is the Jedi guy's saber at the end not actually rolling on the ground? It starts out rolling normal-looking, then the business end lifts a bit as though it had a bumpy thing there, but there isn't one.

Actually there is a bumpy thing, and I remember thinking that was a neat attention to detail.

Unless they have some funky glass floor with real floor an inch under thing going on, the shadows would be indicating that the bumpy thing that WOULD be causing it isn't touching the ground.

abuh.jpg

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Whatever its faults, the trailer still looks awesome. I was a huge fan of both KotOR one and two. And I'm hoping this one is good.

One thing I'm really vying for? Lightsaber combat like kotor. Except with hundreds upon hundreds of different move sets, rather then just 2 or three. THe cinematic feel to fighting really did it for me in kotor.

Either that, or some sort of progressive fighting system, like WAR's combos, except with the cinematic feel.

What I DON'T want to see is two people fighting with lightsabers and randomly bashing them against each other until one keels over. Bad.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I've got a shocking suggestion:

Remove the grinds.

You need to watch the Zero Punctuation review of Tabula Rasa.
    Tabula Rasa might have been interesting if they had released a vaguely finished game at retail. All the zones past Level 20 lacked incredible amounts of polish or had huge bugs. The zones past Level 30 were all pretty awful, as well.

The instances that were done well were fun, though. But there were alot that just weren't.
    Infidel wrote: »
    Subscription: everyone pays to play, is given the same resources as everyone else and you know it.

Microtransactions: pony up or you won't be shiny like the players that spend in spiraling amounts.

Some people can easily spend more per month in bits if they are not careful, and the whole concept leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Insert the comic where the one dude is blinged out and the other has a wooden sword etc.
    this one from Hellgate London?
    20070511.jpg

Honestly, so long as there is player created and placeable housing in the world and I can just ride around for hours on my Landspeeder checking on harvesters and visiting fabulous vistas, I'll be reasonably happy. Well, okay, and raiding enemy cities with my guild. And maybe picking a class that isn't hella gimped at launch like I always manage to do...

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pretty cool trailer. Appearently back in the Old Republic the Sith got all the chicks.

Now for the gameplay!

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Honestly, so long as there is player created and placeable housing in the world and I can just ride around for hours on my Landspeeder checking on harvesters and visiting fabulous vistas, I'll be reasonably happy.

I'm not sure this will be the game for you.

piL on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    piL wrote: »
    Honestly, so long as there is player created and placeable housing in the world and I can just ride around for hours on my Landspeeder checking on harvesters and visiting fabulous vistas, I'll be reasonably happy.

I'll take this one step further.

This isn't going to be the game for you. This game is going to be nothing like Star Wars Galaxies whatsoever.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

This isn't going to be the game for you. This game is going to be nothing like Star Wars Galaxies whatsoever.
    Oh. Well then.

;_________;

Uh, so long as there's a grappling class so I can say "Lightsaber? Force powers? SUPLEX!" I'll also be happy.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Oh. Well then.

;_________;

Uh, so long as there's a grappling class so I can say "Lightsaber? Force powers? SUPLEX!" I'll also be happy.

I really wouldn't count on it. With only four classes per side and their emphasis being on providing engaging individual story arcs for each class that capture an iconic character concept of Star Wars...

Well, "Grappler" seems a little niche and obscure. It's still possible but it doesn't feel probable.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Oh. Well then.

;_________;

I really wouldn't count on it. With only four classes per side and their emphasis being on providing engaging individual story arcs for each class that capture an iconic character concept of Star Wars...

Well, "Grappler" seems a little niche and obscure. It's still possible but it doesn't feel probable.

That one Sith in the trailer was using his fists. Makes me think there might be a build or specc that uses the fighting style. Like Echani or something.

Also:
    This isn't going to be the game for you. This game is going to be nothing like Star Wars Galaxies whatsoever

Thank you. Thank you so much.

No offense to the people who played SWG and toughed it out, but I really get tired of people coming here with the misguided dream that TOR is the Blessed Second Coming of SWG.

It ain't. Period.

Havelock on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

Oh. Well then.

;_________;

El Fuerte the Jedi will be made by me now.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I just had a vision of a Jedi named Achon Elbir, complete with the mask of a luchador.

Edit: If anyone cares, Achon Elbir is an anagram of Nacho Libre. This is what happens when someone with a BA in English tries to make a joke.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Oh. Well then.

;_________;

El Fuerte the Jedi will be made by me now.
    Master Chef/Master TKA (or just Jedi)? I can dig it.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Oh. Well then.

;_________;

Well there was that Sith guy in the trailer who leaped high in the air and slammed his fist into the ground...

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, but that was more WOO FORCE POWERS. That doesn't even approach the idea of a grappling class.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm getting more and more concerned that PVP will be a very limited affair with no opportunity of butchering force users. . . .

kharvelan on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So, a brawler-build that uses Force-augmented strength.

Not as effective as a lightsaber, but it looks pretty.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    *shrug* I'm sure I'll find something amusing and horribly gimp to fall in love with at first sight. But Bounty Hunters and Soldiers and Smugglers don't really do it for me. Maybe a Combat Medic (ugh MMO healing...) or even just a normal melee type class will do.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm getting more and more concerned that PVP will be a very limited affair with no opportunity of butchering force users. . . .

I'm just concerned about the "very limited affair" part.

WAR has ruined me in this respect. I'll still buy this game, if the 30 minutes of gameplay prove to be utterly amazing, but I will be "that one guy" who won't shut up about how PvP needs to be better, if they ignore it and focus on PvE.

Havelock on
  • Options
    bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think it's funny when folks think they have big balls for wagging their fingers at ex SWG players.

ITS SWTOR NOT SWGTOR. LOL *SNORT*

Well, if it has the same music, blaster sounds, lightsabers, cantinas, similar sounds, (basically if it is an MMO taking place in the SW universe) well, then I hate to break it to you, but this game has, by default, pretty much all of the same criteria that made the early SWG players swoon.

bejeavis on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    bejeavis wrote: »
    I think it's funny when folks think they have big balls for wagging their fingers at ex SWG players.

ITS SWTOR NOT SWGTOR. LOL *SNORT*

Well, if it has the same music, blaster sounds, lightsabers, cantinas, similar sounds, (basically if it is an MMO taking place in the SW universe) well, then I hate to break it to you, but this game has, by default, pretty much all of the same criteria that made the early SWG players swoon.

I thought SWG was not based within the time frame of the old republic.

kharvelan on
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Sith want to rule the galaxy because they think they have the most power and therefore should rule. That's about all there is to it.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I enjoyed early SWG, but SWG is not TOR. The setting is vastly different, Jedi running around in SWG is much different than TOR for reasons of that alone.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Last I checked, early Star Wars: Galaxies was well liked and well known for the enormous impact players had on the economy, crafting, player housing, player cities, the high risk existence of Jedi, and so on.

None of that has even been mentioned as existing in TOR yet, let alone being significant features. That is why people are going to tell you this game is going to be nothing like Star Wars: Galaxies. The design philosophy for TOR demonstrated in discussions doesn't really mirror SWG in any way shape or form.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This isn't going to be the game for you. This game is going to be nothing like Star Wars Galaxies whatsoever

No offense to the people who played SWG and toughed it out, but I really get tired of people coming here with the misguided dream that TOR is the Blessed Second Coming of SWG.

It ain't. Period.

See, I liked SWG, but I am not coming to this game in respects. I'm coming to this game because its made by Bioware, and I loved the original Old Republic Games.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    My point being is there just seems to be a lot of hostility when anyone mentions anything that remotely resembles an experience that was offered by SWG, and some are profoundly offended by suggesting that. Like if someone said that they look forward to a socializing with players in a cantina or something, then someone will break down the door screaming NOO THIS ISNT SWG THERE ARE NO MUSICIANS OR NON COMBAT CANTINAS ARE BANNED TIMES INFINITY.

bejeavis on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    NOO THIS ISNT SWG THERE ARE NO MUSICIANS OR NON COMBAT CANTINAS ARE BANNED TIMES INFINITY.

Sigh, can I say that I really wouldn't mind if cantinas made a come back? Its actually a rather good idea, offer missions there, player interaction, maybe like a trading hub.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Mifio wrote: »
    NOO THIS ISNT SWG THERE ARE NO MUSICIANS OR NON COMBAT CANTINAS ARE BANNED TIMES INFINITY.

Sigh, can I say that I really wouldn't mind if cantinas made a come back? Its actually a rather good idea, offer missions there, player interaction, maybe like a trading hub.

See comments like these get you into trouble 'round these parts.

bejeavis on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

See comments like these get you into trouble 'round these parts.
    One of my fondest SWG memories was being called out by someone in a cantina that led to a duel request and then me stomping them into the ground into the street right outside.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

It ain't. Period.

See, I liked SWG, but I am not coming to this game in respects. I'm coming to this game because its made by Bioware, and I loved the original Old Republic Games.

That's cool. I'm not trying to be all "SWG PEOPLE GTFO SERIOUSLY". It's just that in the last thread I saw a few people post about how they want TOR to be like SWG, and if it isn't then they're getting gypped. I was commenting on Fiaryn's post because it was pretty much how I feel in regards to the people who want TOR to be the next SWG.

SWG had some really great parts to it, duels and collecting bounties on Jedi (before they were all over the place) to name a few, but I would like to see TOR take a different route and be able to distinguish itself from SWG in a good way.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I definitely do not want TOR to be a revamp of SWG. There was just a bunch of events that I was able to participate in, and so many experiences I had there that I hope to be able to revisit in TOR. I think what I am hoping for, and probably most of us SWG refugees are too, is that TOR offers us the same feeling that we had when we were playing SWG. Not the same game. Since this game is taking place in the SW universe, this hope is probably not too far fetched. Player interaction and social environment? Yeah, we want to relive that. Over 9,000 Glowpenises? Hmm, I guess I can deal with that. SWG's buggy game mechanics and balance issues? Yeah, how about no.

bejeavis on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    If TOR ends up like SWG, it will suck just like SWG did.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    BaratusBaratus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If TOR ends up like SWG, it will suck just like SWG eventually did.

Baratus on
    PSN: Baratus_JT
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Things like Jabba's Palace in SWG pissed me off. You do some jobs for Jabba, one of the biggest gangsters in the galaxy, and what do you get, "Good job, and here's a little something for your troubles. A broken vid pad."

KG3000 on
    What?
This discussion has been closed.