As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd bet that there would have been 20% less rage if they had titled it L4D : Episode 1.

jothki on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've always wanted a map where you're on some sunny, happy, perfect little city, that's covered with zombies and blood. It'd enhance the fear and tension, because you don't expect the sheer gore and death in something so happy looking. These sunny campaigns seem to cater to this want.

Edit: Is it just me, or do the videos have more blood and gore than L4D1?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    I've always wanted a map where you're on some sunny, happy, perfect little city, that's covered with zombies and blood. It'd enhance the fear and tension, because you don't expect the sheer gore and death in something so happy looking. These sunny campaigns seem to cater to this want

Some of the videos have some music akin to Yakkety Sax when a horde rushes in... :/

Icemopper on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wonder if there's some really disappointed people out there who had put a lot of energy into preparing new weapons like an axe and chainsaw for LFD1...a lot of this seems like stuff that would've come out of the SDK anyways.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Also... oh crap, the melee cool down timer is in campaigns.

I think I'll like expert a looot more in this game.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As someone who sold my copy of L4D a couple weeks ago, this announcement pleases me greatly. More campaigns and it looks like they're doing a lot to fix problems with the first game (everybody hiding in corners) and adding a lot more variety (day/night, weather, variable level layouts, melee weapons, roving witches, new Infected, more modes, etc.). If it's at a discounted price (I'm thinking $30 for PC, $40 for 360), then even better.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Also, temporary health from pills now has a different UI look seen here. Watch Ty's health.

As more videos come up, I'll keep analyzing for funsies.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    UNCLE PHIL SOUND PACK PLEASE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALpdZHkOtHE

donhonk on
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Also, temporary health from pills now has a different UI look seen here. Watch Ty's health.

As more videos come up, I'll keep analyzing for funsies.

The only thing i hate about the current vids is the UI, they need to go back to the health bars used in l4d1, seriously nothing wrong with them

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm skeptical of the weather changing thing as in something that happens dynamically while playing. Unless they've overhauled how source renders light I don't see how they could do it.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Not while playing, between maps and such.

I bet they'll have a option for the classic UI in L4D 2

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Surprising that everyone is whining about the new survivors

Like, before L4D came out I was like "who cares about survivors, let me just shoot zombie mans." I'm sure the new characters will have as much, well, character as the old ones

Yeah the attachment to the old survivors is a testament to Valve's ability to connect the player to the characters.

It is going to be really hard for me to separate the Left 4 Dead experience from those 4 characters.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah thats what I expect it to be elliot

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    Why did it take them so long to come out with the Survival pack (including the two vs maps that were promised at launch) but they already have a full fledged sequel ready to go a year after release? With 5 new campaigns with vs no less.

It is silly to assume they spent all this time working on versus maps and survival, and then made the entire sequel in the past few weeks. They probably have been working on this for a while, putting continued content for the original L4D on the backburner.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    For some reason, I feel that on the PC, this will really be a reduced price expansion, or even free content, like the TF2 updates that we keep getting. Valve is usually pretty good about this thing to the PC gamer, and EA is the one who pushed that this is a sequel on the Xbox

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's what I'm sayin' in the E3 thread, I'm betting that 90% of this frackas is because of EA demanding a new console release from Valve and a whole new game (copy) is the only way they could do it for some reason.

And with the new music direction Valve's taking for the southern stuff, you know what'd be great to pop in to replace the horde attack sounds?

Rock N' Roll Dixie, that's what

Sorenson on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Why did it take them so long to come out with the Survival pack (including the two vs maps that were promised at launch) but they already have a full fledged sequel ready to go a year after release? With 5 new campaigns with vs no less.

It is silly to assume they spent all this time working on versus maps and survival, and then made the entire sequel in the past few weeks. They probably have been working on this for a while, putting continued content for the original L4D on the backburner.

Yep, which is my point.

tofu on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    I've always wanted a map where you're on some sunny, happy, perfect little city, that's covered with zombies and blood. It'd enhance the fear and tension, because you don't expect the sheer gore and death in something so happy looking. These sunny campaigns seem to cater to this want

Some of the videos have some music akin to Yakkety Sax when a horde rushes in... :/

Yeah, after watching some of those gameplay videos I told my friend that the new panic music sounded a little corny to me. The drums + fiddle (i think?) just sound really out of place when the mood is supposed to be tense and scary.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Look, it's going to stop being tense the 20th time you hear it in VS, might as well make it corny now

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm sure this observation has already been made, but hey whatever:

The melee seem to be their own weapon slot, and these will attack team mates if close. I have yet to see this actually happen, but if the axe is a one hit kill on zombies, I'm sure it will do damage to friendlies.

And yeah melancholy, the fiddle is really out of place. Sure, it is the home of jazz and stuff, but... really? This is a horror game, not as comedic as TF2 is.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I was actually thinking that Valve might be trying to give a different feeling with this - Left 4 Dead 1's the more traditional, grounded zombie game while 2's more of a grindhouse-y splatstick affair, hence things like chainsaws and frying pans and the increased gibbing and the jazzy soundtrack.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The music wouldn't sound so bad if they hadn't just used the same cues with different, "southern" instruments.

tofu on
  • Options
    BorysBorys Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The only problem I see now is the new survivors. They don't look appaling or interesting at all. Everything else about L4D2 is sweet.
    51659_Left4Dead2-Screenshot-03.jpg

Borys on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guys

guys

Did you honestly buy L4D because of the characters? I'm pretty sure everyone bought it because of zombies then enjoyed it more because the characters were actually interesting. I can't imagine Valve developing these 4 characters any less than they did the first four.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Those characters remind me of home. I could literally go out on the street with a camera and bring you pictures that look like those survivors

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, the only one who looks anywhere interesting at all is that gambler dude, and half of that's because of his sweet suit. The rest of 'em just don't have any kind of distinction.

EDIT: I guess it'll all depend on just how well they build up the dialogue of and between them.

MCD: I'd also say part of it's that if the survivors come off as uninteresting or unidentifiable it'll be a bitch to play with them especially when you've got to wing certain things by ear.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I too would like to know what it was about the original four characters that made everyone confident in their design for the first game.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Especially since at first the survivors looked like:

left-4-dead-beta-characters2344.jpg

WOAH CRAZY THEY'RE BLAND

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was thinking: considering how much I like L4D, I hope it *does* get the 'Starcraft 2' treatment with a couple of yearly expansions that really turns it into something bigger.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I think expert in L4D2 will be much tougher than L4D.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I think expert in L4D2 will be much tougher than L4D.

Me, you, Mandy, and whoever else? We're gonna ace this.

not to play favorites or whatever.

but I so am

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Guys

guys

Did you honestly buy L4D because of the characters? I'm pretty sure everyone bought it because of zombies then enjoyed it more because the characters were actually interesting. I can't imagine Valve developing these 4 characters any less than they did the first four.

It's not that I bought the game for those 4 characters, but as dumb as it sounds I have become attached to them.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Guys

guys

It's not that I bought the game for those 4 characters, but as dumb as it sounds I have become attached to them.

I don't care for Francis.

lucille.jpg

Icemopper on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guys

guys

yeah, me too, but the new survivors look like they have just as much potential of being well-developed as the original four.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I'm not worried at all about the new survivors. My only issue is that I'm so attached to the old ones. But you have to learn to let go.

And look at the big dude. His pits are SOAKED.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Guys

guys

yeah, me too, but the new survivors look like they have just as much potential of being well-developed as the original four.

but I don't want to try new things

tofu on
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    According to xbox.com

Bitch is $59.99
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/l/left4dead2/

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    holy shit I am so playing Uncle Phil

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Man, sixty fucking bucks? Definetily smells like EA fucking around with Valve.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Woah, that's double what I would've grudgingly paid.

Hellooo Assassin's Creed II.

Darlan on