Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

1474850525362

Posts

  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I will be taking next thread

    MrDelish on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope it brings good news, I'd like to just talk about the fun times to be had in l4d now :)

    Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

    Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Me and three other PAers had a fun pubstomp game that didn't really turn out as a stomp.

    Rather, it was a nicely balanced game all the way through. Whether this is because I brought the team down due to my suckitude, whether it was just us as a team not being on our A game, or the other team just being lucky, we'll never know.

    If I remember properly it was "warpath", myself, "Dr BaReagan Obama", and Jarmra. (And Zero###, who left halfway through)

    Excuse me if I mispelled your ID I'm going off of memory here.

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • LaCabraLaCabra Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pub teams aren't always bad.

    LaCabra on
    Blog | Impromptu Games | twitter | patreon

    totally buy my video game InFlux on Steam or Humble Store or GOG or Amazon!
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes. Though good pubs seem much rarer now. A few months back, during a stomp players would cycle through but the good ones tended to stay. By the 3rd map they were usually decent enough to keep us on our toes.

    Now, I'm so rusty I can barely remember what needing coordination was like. (this is also a result of the rareity of full PA vs matches :( )

    Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

    Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've noticed that the amount of asshats have been significantly higher during the last month(s). I'm guessing this is correlated to the free weekend and half price off thing some time ago.

    The added campaigns might also have gotten some attention and gotten some new players into L4D.

    Or maybe it's just that many of the initial players have grown tired of the game and left room for newcomers which makes the gap between random pubbie and us old bitter veterans larger.

    Movitz on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Yes. Though good pubs seem much rarer now. A few months back, during a stomp players would cycle through but the good ones tended to stay. By the 3rd map they were usually decent enough to keep us on our toes.

    Now, I'm so rusty I can barely remember what needing coordination was like. (this is also a result of the rareity of full PA vs matches :( )
    This game is shit with public games.

    Literally can't even play the first round with any effort at all, mostly throwing the first couple rounds just to make people stay.

    rakuenCallisto on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Yes. Though good pubs seem much rarer now. A few months back, during a stomp players would cycle through but the good ones tended to stay. By the 3rd map they were usually decent enough to keep us on our toes.

    Now, I'm so rusty I can barely remember what needing coordination was like. (this is also a result of the rareity of full PA vs matches :( )
    This game is shit with public games.

    Literally can't even play the first round with any effort at all, mostly throwing the first couple rounds just to make people stay.

    Well to be fair, everyone else is just jumping into randomly assigned games, and it's not really fair on them when a bunch of strangers find themselves on the receiving end of organised groups that are familiar with each other and know how to work with each other.

    IIRC that's partly what the matchmaking update is meant to fix.

    subedii on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah it's not really fair to complain about people quitting when they're getting rolled in a pub stomp. It's too bad that the game doesn't really support group matchups. If L4D2 had this functionality it would go a long way towards soothing my butthurt.

    Robman on
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Yeah it's not really fair to complain about people quitting when they're getting rolled in a pub stomp. It's too bad that the game doesn't really support group matchups. If L4D2 had this functionality it would go a long way towards soothing my butthurt.

    I thought I read somewhere that the next update might be a form of 4v4 matchmaking. Could just be a rumor though.

    Unearthly Stew on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Well to be fair, everyone else is just jumping into randomly assigned games, and it's not really fair on them when a bunch of strangers find themselves on the receiving end of organised groups that are familiar with each other and know how to work with each other.

    IIRC that's partly what the matchmaking update is meant to fix.

    Reminds me of the WoW "PuG (Pick up Group) vs. Pre-Made" issue, where a group of 10/15/40 people from the same server or guild would join up and facestomp a random collection of 10/15/40 people from up to a dozen servers or more. One group was using effective communication and months or years of experience playing with one another against a team of random nobodies of questionable skill, experience and determination.

    And ocassionally the random asshats would win. But it was rare. Ending up as one of the random asshats and realizing you were in this PuG vs Premade situation was often enough to demoralize the team into a loss that might've been avoidable, as simply knowing you were facing a pre-made (which often indicated a coming loss) meant people gave up. They'd afk, or fuck off and hunt for individual kills rather than working towards the greater good, etc.

    What I'm saying is that there's clear prescedent for the average person to hate feeling that the deck is stacked against them, even if it isn't all that bad. I know I'd be pretty aprehensive if I were facing 4 PA'ers while on a "PuG"/Pub group, even if those PA'ers had never played Versus together before.

    If the matchmaking improves the odds of having "Premade vs Premade" fights, as Blizzard worked towards achieving (with mixed success), perhaps Versus teams will see stiffer competition, and Pubs will see fewer face-rapes by pre-mades that hinder their gaining experience with versus in the first place? (among other factors, not the least of which is Gabriels Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory, which alludes to some of the players being gigantic fuckcocks to begin with).

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What it comes down to is that losing badly is antifun. Close games are the best. L4D needs to put in some sort of a weighted system so that the matchmaking system puts together people of similar stats.

    Robman on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Yes. Though good pubs seem much rarer now. A few months back, during a stomp players would cycle through but the good ones tended to stay. By the 3rd map they were usually decent enough to keep us on our toes.

    Now, I'm so rusty I can barely remember what needing coordination was like. (this is also a result of the rareity of full PA vs matches :( )
    This game is shit with public games.

    Literally can't even play the first round with any effort at all, mostly throwing the first couple rounds just to make people stay.

    yo i still have fun with pubs

    but i've found there is a magic hour

    mostly 6AM to 10AM Mountain Time on weekends
    like, only the really crazy fuckers play video games that early
    the annoying twats are still all asleep

    i've had some really good games with pubs - but, it may take a round to shuffle through the quitters.

    TyrantCow on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    What it comes down to is that losing badly is antifun. Close games are the best. L4D needs to put in some sort of a weighted system so that the matchmaking system puts together people of similar stats.

    It's just a little annoying every time I hear "ZOMG, pubs are so crap, when our group of experienced team mates all teamed up against a group of random strangers they didn't stand a chance."

    If you're going to be like that, a better option might actually be signing on to a random group yourself and taking the lead, trying to work with them and show them the ropes.

    subedii on
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Well to be fair, everyone else is just jumping into randomly assigned games, and it's not really fair on them when a bunch of strangers find themselves on the receiving end of organised groups that are familiar with each other and know how to work with each other.

    IIRC that's partly what the matchmaking update is meant to fix.

    Reminds me of the WoW "PuG (Pick up Group) vs. Pre-Made" issue, where a group of 10/15/40 people from the same server or guild would join up and facestomp a random collection of 10/15/40 people from up to a dozen servers or more. One group was using effective communication and months or years of experience playing with one another against a team of random nobodies of questionable skill, experience and determination.

    And ocassionally the random asshats would win. But it was rare. Ending up as one of the random asshats and realizing you were in this PuG vs Premade situation was often enough to demoralize the team into a loss that might've been avoidable, as simply knowing you were facing a pre-made (which often indicated a coming loss) meant people gave up. They'd afk, or fuck off and hunt for individual kills rather than working towards the greater good, etc.

    What I'm saying is that there's clear prescedent for the average person to hate feeling that the deck is stacked against them, even if it isn't all that bad. I know I'd be pretty aprehensive if I were facing 4 PA'ers while on a "PuG"/Pub group, even if those PA'ers had never played Versus together before.

    If the matchmaking improves the odds of having "Premade vs Premade" fights, as Blizzard worked towards achieving (with mixed success), perhaps Versus teams will see stiffer competition, and Pubs will see fewer face-rapes by pre-mades that hinder their gaining experience with versus in the first place? (among other factors, not the least of which is Gabriels Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory, which alludes to some of the players being gigantic fuckcocks to begin with).

    4 v 4 matchmaking would be a blast. It's way easier to get together 4 than it is to get 8 (which I try to do but usually fail) which leads to games that are way too easy.

    It's different when you have a small but intensely dedicated community (we had that in a bombing run variant in UT2k3/2k4) when all of the pubs are competitive players, but for a game with mass appeal, having some kind of matchmaking to avoid boring blowouts is the way to go.

    sanstodo on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't really know anyone who's on Steam, all my friends play L4D on the 360, so I have to play with random folks. The worst thing I've noticed is there's always one idiot who thinks he's fucking Rambo because he has the map memorized and he's going to blaze on ahead, full speed. Get back here, asshole! If you wanted to play Single Player, that mode exists.

    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    I don't really know anyone who's on Steam, all my friends play L4D on the 360, so I have to play with random folks. The worst thing I've noticed is there's always one idiot who thinks he's fucking Rambo because he has the map memorized and he's going to blaze on ahead, full speed. Get back here, asshole! If you wanted to play Single Player, that mode exists.

    PA Steam group Armadeaddon. Join it.

    Brian on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brian wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    I don't really know anyone who's on Steam, all my friends play L4D on the 360, so I have to play with random folks. The worst thing I've noticed is there's always one idiot who thinks he's fucking Rambo because he has the map memorized and he's going to blaze on ahead, full speed. Get back here, asshole! If you wanted to play Single Player, that mode exists.

    PA Steam group Armadeaddon. Join it.

    https://steamcommunity.com/id/VeganGreg Invite plz?

    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    I don't really know anyone who's on Steam, all my friends play L4D on the 360, so I have to play with random folks. The worst thing I've noticed is there's always one idiot who thinks he's fucking Rambo because he has the map memorized and he's going to blaze on ahead, full speed. Get back here, asshole! If you wanted to play Single Player, that mode exists.

    And then he keeps berating you for being "LOL, N00BS!" because you're fighting rear-guard and keeping the horde at bay which has allowed him to run ahead.

    Come the time he gets smokered or pounced completely out of reach of the main group, he'll just keep shouting about how crap everyone else on the team is because they don't know how to play and keep up with him.

    Sound about right?

    subedii on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm always tail end charlie in my little team of l4d players, they always bitch and moan about me being last but I always* cap that fucking smoker waiting to snag someone back

    *95% of the time

    Robman on
  • enderjsvenderjsv Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    I'm always tail end charlie in my little team of l4d players, they always bitch and moan about me being last but I always* cap that fucking smoker waiting to snag someone back

    *95% of the time

    I'm almost always in front. I think I'm really good at the front position. I tend to duck a lot which allows people to shoot over me. I know the maps well so I can lead the team pretty effectively. And I'm always constantly checking players positions even if we all have mics, just to make sure things don't go wrong. Yeah, I like being in front.

    enderjsv on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's what she said

    Robman on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    She being Zoe, and I swear to fucking god whoever plays Zoe has half their brain turned off and goes ulaeulaeulaeulaulae off into the distant blue yonder.

    Robman on
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Um, what?

    Unearthly Stew on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The people who play Zoe in games I play in have a 99% chance of running off like some retarded goddamn batman off into the distance

    Robman on
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I play as Zoey. :(

    Unearthly Stew on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I play as Zoey. :(

    Me too, I also use the Rifle and usually bring up the rear

    Rend on
  • enderjsvenderjsv Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rend wrote: »
    I play as Zoey. :(

    Me too, I also use the Rifle and usually bring up the rear

    That's what she sa-... Nevermind.

    enderjsv on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Speaking of crouching, is there a way to make crouching something that toggles, rather than having to hold the button down?

    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I play as Zoey. :(
    I saw you the other night. You were doing just that :)

    Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »
    What it comes down to is that losing badly is antifun. Close games are the best. L4D needs to put in some sort of a weighted system so that the matchmaking system puts together people of similar stats.

    It's just a little annoying every time I hear "ZOMG, pubs are so crap, when our group of experienced team mates all teamed up against a group of random strangers they didn't stand a chance."

    If you're going to be like that, a better option might actually be signing on to a random group yourself and taking the lead, trying to work with them and show them the ropes.

    I understand what you're saying but when it becomes impossible to get a full 4v4 PA game pubs are the last resort for a decent vs match.

    edit: also, I play as zoey D:

    Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

    Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    Speaking of crouching, is there a way to make crouching something that toggles, rather than having to hold the button down?

    It's a bad idea because it also takes effect as hunter and makes it far more annoying to stop crouching in mid-air to get better air control.

    The extra split second to tap the key twice (as opposed to just letting go) makes it harder to land certain kinds of pounces.

    sanstodo on
  • JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Its not really worth hanging back and covering the rear IMO because theres not much that really comes at you from there bar smokers, and if you're last and the only one in your team looking backwards its going to be you that gets smoked while your teammates carry on on their merry way.

    Its better to keep a good pace or even be ahead I reckon, at least then if something horrible happens to you everyone can see.

    Jeedan on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jeedan wrote: »
    Its not really worth hanging back and covering the rear IMO because theres not much that really comes at you from there bar smokers, who love grabbing the last guy.

    Its better to keep a good pace or even be ahead I reckon, at least then if something horrible happens to you everyone can see.

    Hanging back != covering the rear, and someone's got to be last. It might as well be someone who can pick off the smoker or a sneaky hunter really fast

    Robman on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Someone needs to take the rear
    :winky:
    but as long as they are less than 7 feet or so behind its no big deal.

    Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

    Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jeedan wrote: »
    Its not really worth hanging back and covering the rear IMO because theres not much that really comes at you from there bar smokers, who love grabbing the last guy.

    Its better to keep a good pace or even be ahead I reckon, at least then if something horrible happens to you everyone can see.

    There's a difference between keeping a good pace and rushing straight through the zombie hordes and then complaining when your team mates get caught up in the wake and pause to deal with the mess whilst you're shouting about how slow they are 3 miles down the road.

    Which is pretty much the kind of player I was talking about.

    subedii on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Agreed. In this game the farther away from everyone else you are, the more likely you will die.

    There are so many corners to turn in this game and if you get pounced around one of them it could take your team till long after you're incapped to save you.

    Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

    Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The most important thing to remember is that spamming the voice commands is, and always will be, the height of hilarity. Those that don't appreciate the genius of AHH TANK AHH TANK AHH TANK AHH TANK AHH TANK AHH TANK will be the first against the wall.

    A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The most important thing to remember is that spamming the voice commands is, and always will be, the height of hilarity. Those that don't appreciate the genius of AHH TANK AHH TANK AHH TANK AHH TANK AHH TANK AHH TANK will be the first against the wall.

    What I want to know is how do the survivors KNOW it's called a tank?

    For all they know, the 'tank's' proper zombie name could be a Flesh Rumbler.

    The hunter could actually be a Growl'n'jumper.

    Where was I going with this?

    Dissociater on
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Patch coming tonight, i can feel it

    Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
Sign In or Register to comment.