As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Daily Show/Colbert Report: I THINK I KNOW EVERYTHING

GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, ProbablyWatertown, WIRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
As this is basically a running diary of two shows that air four times a week barring holidays and other things, let's just start with the basics:

*The Daily Show is a fake-news program that does a lot better and has more informed viewers than the actual news. The host is very sad about this. Every so often he will wreck the shit of someone that deserves it. Most of the time they do not see it coming, and even when they do, he doesn't care.
*The Colbert Report is a fake-punditry show. The host, while being somewhat weaker at interviews, has just as much ability to wreck someone's shit, particularly lower-level politicians, which is why they have a tendency to steer clear of him nowadays. He is startlingly prone to Crowning Moments of Awesome. For example, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYnzSvBeCqE

Annnnd you can just have those images in your head for a while.

As it stands, we're just coming off a weeklong break, coming back to shows interspersed with commercials for a guy that thinks he can bend the Internet to his will or something. To spite this man, his show will not be mentioned in this space.

EDIT: Oh, you damn anti-embedding thingie.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
Gosling on

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okay, fine. In lieu of actual Daily Show or Colbert Report clips, please accept this reasonable facimile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYWcUsNuAfA

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ah, Aasif Mandvi. Truly, you are the most awesome...whatever you are...in the TDS/TCR family.

Also the only one.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I believe his preferred term is "Brown Person".

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, Aasif Mandvi's bit on Sotamayor was awesome.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jon definitely kicks ass in interviews, but I think Stephen is become excellent in his own right. He has a much tougher job since he needs to stay in character during a live show. He is great at ad-lib dialogue in any situation.

Of course, while Stephen's best interviews are hilarious, he mostly does it for the lulz. Jon has the legendary interviews that fuck up the careers of douchebags. Ones I can think of off the top of my head are Jonah Goldberg, Jim Cramer, and that other guy from The American Family thingamajig who supports torture.

Edit: Oh, and Crossfire.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The best OP

TL DR on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Again, I want to point out that no matter how slowly you try to boil the frog, he's going to jump out. I understand the point that last night's Daily Show guest was trying to make, but the metaphor is completely wrong in the first place. Frogs will jump right the fuck out once they get uncomfortable. Real frog boilers use lids.

Also, linking to TVTropes should be punishable in some way; once you go in, you don't come back out for hours.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Big difference.

Jon Stewart isn't funny.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2009
    Colbert's come close to fucking up some careers too, and been fucking hilarious while doing it.

I enjoy cocaine... because it's a fun thing to do.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    The new guy's starting to grow on me. Mainly because he managed to break one of the people he was interviewing.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well done, new kid. Well done.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Colbert made a heck of a save with 'always spay or neutle.' Most people would have just started the original joke over after misspeaking like that.

Gosling on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We should also link The Bugle, Jon Oliver's (and Andy Zaltzman's) weekly satirical podcast. It is excellent.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Big difference.

Jon Stewart isn't funny.

you are wrong.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When Colbert's interveiwees aren't in on his bit, it reminds me off the interveiws on Daily show. This is a good thing.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The new guy came out strong on this one. The look at the camera when he asked the guy about Super Soakers made me lose it.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Colbert is clearly better at interviews. I'm not even debating this, it's just brute fact.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Colbert is clearly better at interviews. I'm not even debating this, it's just brute fact.

that's the complete opposite of the truth.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Catching up on the Daily Show / Colbert Report. The response to Obama's first consideration for the Supreme Court seat is sickening. OMG, SHE'S HISPANIC! SHE'S GONNA FAVOR HISPANICS!

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Colbert's health segment was amazing.

Henroid on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, I must've fallen asleep before the new guy's segment ended. Gonna have to catch it later today...

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So let's see, for new side effects, we have:

"Side effects may include opposable spleens, achy breaky back, and foghorn leghorn."
    "...vigilant kidney, pez neck, and mahmoud ahmedinjaw."

I missed the third set. How did that one go?

And just because, I also want to quote something from Jon Oliver's newest podcast with his buddy: "The Washington Nationals are a fine baseball team, except that they cannot throw balls, catch balls, or hit balls with sticks, which really hamstrings them in their sport of choice."

Shadowen on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Exin wrote: »
    I believe his preferred term is "Brown Person".

His best line ever

"What can Brown do for you?"

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just saw the May 21st interview with Larry King.

Oh god that long 'angry' rant by Jon and then Larry just replies and they both crack up. Oh god.

Jintor on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    You know I was ok with Colberts guest until she said she works a 4 day week but made no mention of being paid less for doing so.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Variable wrote: »

that's the complete opposite of the truth.

Yeah, sometimes his guest will have something really interesting to say but because they can't dance around his character they get stifled.

TL DR on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know I was ok with Colberts guest until she said she works a 4 day week but made no mention of being paid less for doing so.

I don't recall if she mentioned whether it was 8 or 10 hours a day for those 4 days though.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Youd have to do 11 hours a day for a normal work week. I didn't catch what it is she actually does at the BBC.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Youd have to do 11 hours a day for a normal work week. I didn't catch what it is she actually does at the BBC.

Eh, not necessarily, some people do in fact get paid for their lunch time.
    Just because many of we Americans like to work ourselves to death does not mean the rest of the world does.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wikipedia says she's a political correspondent for BBC World News America, which is a 1hour broadcast that covers US politics I guess. Usual disclaimer about wikipedia goes here.

RedThorn on
    League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "penis burkas"

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Who wants to bet we're going to hear a bling joke about Obama's new necklace?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Am I the only one who was bothered that he was wearing white socks during that segment? White socks with his black suit :!:

JAEF on
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shadowen wrote: »

Mock-turtle neck, delusions of grandma, and marzi pancreas (My favourite).

My problem with Colbert interviews is sometimes he has to pause for a moment to get read his next question. Since Jon doesn't have to stay in character, he has more freedom to ignore his question sheet and just go where the interview takes him. Some of my favourite interviews are with people like Denis Leary where they're barely plugging the show and just making random jokes and insulting each other. Colbert can't really do the same.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Exin wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »

Mock-turtle neck, delusions of grandma, and marzi pancreas (My favourite).

My problem with Colbert interviews is sometimes he has to pause for a moment to get read his next question. Since Jon doesn't have to stay in character, he has more freedom to ignore his question sheet and just go where the interview takes him. Some of my favourite interviews are with people like Denis Leary where they're barely plugging the show and just making random jokes and insulting each other. Colbert can't really do the same.

Denis Leary and Brian Williams are the best guests because of this.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I commonly say, "Goddamn you Steward/Colbert" because of things they show me that I cannot un-see, including

former Vice President Dick Cheney with tits
    former President Clinton with tits
    His holiness the Pope in a speedo
    etc.
    etc.
    JAEF wrote: »
    Am I the only one who was bothered that he was wearing white socks during that segment? White socks with his black suit :!:

GAY!

Kidding, I dunno why anyone would do that, why? to be weird?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Did they remove the "Watch any episode ever" feature from the two shows websites?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    WE HAVE A DEATH STAR!

With black balloons!

Hahahahahahahahaha!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And the Imperial March!

Shadowen on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I commonly say, "Goddamn you Steward/Colbert" because of things they show me that I cannot un-see, including

former Vice President Dick Cheney with tits
    former President Clinton with tits
    His holiness the Pope in a speedo
    etc.
    etc.
    JAEF wrote: »

GAY!

I made note of this and my dad's response was about the same.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
This discussion has been closed.