Options

Metroid: Other M - let's talk about Samus' body some more guys

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am 100% OK with Samus going or not going crazy ninja-wrestler on some enemies. If the game is good, I don't really care whether or not ninja-kicks and/or suplexes are involved in the destruction of space pirates.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm guessing that the short haired girl at the start of the trailer is Samus when she served in the military. Didn't Fusion establish that Adam was her commanding officer? Perhaps Samus got some combat experience under her belt after being raised by the Chozo but before becoming a bounty hunter.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    Samus has a sister?

You mean the girl with the short hair? I was wondering about her too, she doesn't really look like Samus so maybe?

At the end of that trailer she introduces herself.

Does she really? All I see is Samus in suit saying "I'm Samus Aran". But looking at it again, it is pretty obvious that it's the same person, though I don't like what they've done with her hair. I always liked that Samus was a kickass hero, but not really a tomboy.

But they show a scene of her in the Zero suit with her usual pony tail.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Metroid meets God of War.

I'm terrified, but slightly interested

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Samus has a sister?

You mean the girl with the short hair? I was wondering about her too, she doesn't really look like Samus so maybe?

The girl with the short hair is Samus. The girl with the long hair is someone else who looks like her. Or did you forget they're looking at each other while long-hair girl is outside the suit?

Adam calls short-hair girl "Lady," which is something Samus reminisces about in Fusion.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    I was talking about the scientist looking person at the end, when she introduces herself.

The name used didn't sound like Samus to me, which is why I thought the other person was introducing herself.

Edit: Samus is shown in the blue suit in that trailer, and she has a long pony tail. If that short haired girl is Samus, it must be a pretty young Samus in a flashback.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    Samus has a sister?

At the end of that trailer she introduces herself.

Does she really? All I see is Samus in suit saying "I'm Samus Aran". But looking at it again, it is pretty obvious that it's the same person, though I don't like what they've done with her hair. I always liked that Samus was a kickass hero, but not really a tomboy.

But they show a scene of her in the Zero suit with her usual pony tail.

Yes and they also show Mother Brain from Super Metroid and yet the rest of the game doesn't immediately pop out as being recognizable with Super Metroid places. These could be clips of memories or from the eventual introduction movie to the game.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I was talking about the scientist looking person at the end, when she introduces herself.

The name used didn't sound like Samus to me, which is why I thought the other person was introducing herself.

It doesn't actually show the scientist person speaking though, you only hear the words during a cutaway to Samus in her suit.

And the name said was Samus Aran, though Aran was said differently than I would've imagined.

Henroid on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What could be the implications of "Living body arms development lab" be? Hmmm......

Also, we'll still be using qwerty keyboards in the future.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    MA17 wrote: »
    The Other M = The Other Manga.

It's... it's you. :o

Henroid on
  • Options
    MA17MA17 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What's this Federation log-in screen with the Living Body Armor Development business in the trailer?

::EDIT::
    Well, never mind.

Uh, look it's Ridley again! And he's looking hale and hearty!

Hi, Henroid!

MA17 on
    scoughrates_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I bet she flies to the mysterious planet H1N1 where she battles the Metroid Flu.

MA17 on
    scoughrates_sig.jpg
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This reminds me of Killer 7 in that you watch the trailer and still have no idea what the gameplay is like

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I hope Samus tells Metroids to go FUCK themselves when she charge-beams them.

MA17 on
    scoughrates_sig.jpg
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This looks pretty cool. I'm assuming it's like NG2 but with a Metroid skin, seeing all those execution moves does make me worry a bit, perhaps it's all a bit too flashy for a Metroid game...

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    VellyrVellyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There has to be some sort of significance to the title. Maybe the short-haired girl is a clone of samus, and they're trying to make a whole army of them or something. The reason the scenes are so fragmented is that she's doing VR simulations of Samus' past missions. That would also explain the scene in the beginning with the suit forming around her.

Vellyr on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Vellyr wrote: »
    There has to be some sort of significance to the title. Maybe the short-haired girl is a clone of samus, and they're trying to make a whole army of them or something. The reason the scenes are so fragmented is that she's doing VR simulations of Samus' past missions. That would also explain the scene in the beginning with the suit forming around her.

That would work, and allow them to say 'fuck it' to any sort of continuity or anything, and allows them to do whatever they want with her, since it wouldn't be the real Samus, and so she could be trained differently.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holy shit sold. I was sold before the game was announced, but that trailer sold me twice.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I know I'll buy the game and play it, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on it being awesome. The footage didn't give me enough.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Let it be known that Team Ninja is, by all accounts, an extremely talented developer. And it's not like Nintendo usually releases titles before they are completely bloody done, so I have high hopes for this game.

I'm still unsure of what type of game it is. The trailer showcases multiple potential genres, but for all we know if could just be a railshooter with a bunch of QTEs implemented. I HOPE it's a complex perspective-switching action game, but you never know.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, we are getting some crazy pairings this time around. First, Kojima and Castlevania and now, Team Ninja and Metroid.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Samus has a sister?

Oh God no SHIT FANFIC INCOMING HIT THE DIRT!

Ashley Aran who was Samus Aran's sister was one day in an office typing on a computer. She got an email from her sister that said that aliens and monsters were attacking her place and aksed her for help so she went.

Okay, seriously. I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I expect it'll be a very different experience, but after the Prime trilogy I'm fairly open to new things.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    The footage didn't give me enough.
    Ridley.
    Mother Brain.
    General ass whooping.

What more could you possibly want?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not to whore out the screencaps I took but here it is again:
    motherbrain.png

So this introduces an inconsistency with Metroid Prime 3: Aurora units are giant hulking things that bear little resemblance to the Mother Brain of old, yet here is a throwback to the classic design.

Heres some slightly higher quality pics of Mother Brain. :P
    1z1s1g4.jpg
    Unless the space pirates fubared with the Aurora DNA a bit?

Xabora on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    Ridley.
    Mother Brain.
    General ass whooping.

Pardon me for being skeptical / cautious.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but Sakamoto is going to direct.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Yoshio_Sakamoto

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    OtsegoOtsego Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ridley.
    Mother Brain.
    General ass whooping.

Some gameplay would be nice

edit:
    Imran wrote: »

That makes me feel a lot better. I must admit I was pretty skeptical.

Otsego on
    mastersword.jpg
  • Options
    MetatradMetatrad Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As long as I can skip those awful looking cutscenes, I'm down.

The Prime trilogy are some of my favorite games of all time (especially 2), but I'm not going to hold this one to the standard of those.

I've never actually played a modern Ninja Gaiden game, but I've always been intrigued by them. This looks like it might have the same kind of "cinematic" camera (the shot of Samus running into the screen along the lava rocks) that results in wonky controls, but hopefully it's not so bad I can't deal with it. It definitely won't be a tight immersive experience like the Metroid tradition, but it looks like it could be a wild good time.

Metatrad on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Otsego wrote: »
    Ridley.
    Mother Brain.
    General ass whooping.

If you look closely you can see some bits that are gameplay. Samus rolling between enemies to shoot, QTEs (ugh), and a short first person thing.

Of course that tells us very little of what is actually happening but it is technically gameplay.

edit: Metatrad don't you say that those cutscenes don't look beautiful. The anime-ish art style is obviously the result of Team Ninja working on this. I don't like anime style stuff much, if at all, but those are still incredibly good looking cutscenes.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Imran wrote: »

That's great to hear.

My only real concern is camera controls if there are any. Team Ninja doesn't have the best track record with these, so I'm hoping Sakamoto will call them on it if their shit isn't working properly.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Ridley.
    Mother Brain.
    General ass whooping.

If you look closely you can see some bits that are gameplay. Samus rolling between enemies to shoot, QTEs (ugh), and a short first person thing.

Of course that tells us very little of what is actually happening but it is technically gameplay.

edit: Metatrad don't you say that those cutscenes don't look beautiful. The anime-ish art style is obviously the result of Team Ninja working on this. I don't like anime style stuff much, if at all, but those are still incredibly good looking cutscenes.

I see no QTE's, where are people seeing this?

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    OtsegoOtsego Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ridley.
    Mother Brain.
    General ass whooping.

I don't know it looks like a target render or proof of concept. I understand that the project is probably in the very early stages but its hard to get a grasp on what they are going for here when they show a side scroller, 3rd person shooter, fps.

Otsego on
    mastersword.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm really just curious as to where they're slotting this game in with regards to the series. Armor look and Adam reference put it before Fusion, but that goes without saying. The "Mother Brain blasts the baby metroid and royally pisses off Samus" cutscene either puts it during Super Metroid (and thus makes it a remake of sorts), or after if it's a flashback.

With the armor giveaway, it's likely not after Fusion, which is kind of a bummer. Given what happens afterwards with regards to Samus's status with the Federation, that sounds like a much more interesting plot to play with.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    Ridley.
    Mother Brain.
    General ass whooping.

People are assuming that because Samus finishes the enemy off in a stylish manner it means you had to have pressed some specific buttons very quickly. Which is probably true?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Guys. Face it. We know little of the gameplay.

Henroid on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Unless it's merely a target render, I think it is obvious that some parts of the game have a side locked camera view ala 2D games. Other parts look very much like what I would call Klonoa gameplay, with 2D movement in a 3D world with a camera that moves to show the most interesting/dramatic/useful angle.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I feel confident in assuming it will be awesome

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    Unlucky7Unlucky7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Man, we are getting some crazy pairings this time around. First, Kojima and Castlevania and now, Team Ninja and Metroid.

WHAT!? When was that?

Well, I can totally see it at least (The Boktai games and the 'Dracula' dream in MGS3).

Okay, back on topic, the trailer looked somewhat unrefined, and I have no idea how it will play, but it still looks very cool and I can't help but get excited about it.

It looks to me that the game will either be partially in a flashback, judging from the scenes with Adam and the Super Metroid Mother Brain confrontation, or a reboot of sorts, judging from the title.

Crazy Speculation: Anyone else kinda hope that the one guy who says 'Remember me?' in the trailer is actually slightly altered Hudson from the (otherwise kinda crappy) Super Metroid comic that ran in Nintendo Power way back when?

Unlucky7 on
    "No one can out-dance evil!" - Space Channel 5
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ridley.
    Mother Brain.
    General ass whooping.

People are assuming that because Samus finishes the enemy off in a stylish manner it means you had to have pressed some specific buttons very quickly. Which is probably true?

I've no problem with QTEs as long as they're done in the God of War style (ie, you dont immediately die if you miss) and not the Resident Evil style (immediate death if you miss one button)

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ridley.
    Mother Brain.
    General ass whooping.

I really hope not. I hate QTEs so much.

SirToasty on