Options

Metroid: Other M - let's talk about Samus' body some more guys

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    i'm not sure i like badass wrestler samus

Me either, but there's a part of my brain that says "shit, if these guys are so tough that Samus has to get physical, she's a total badass for blowing away everything on Zebes (twice) without letting it get within 20 feet."

I like seeing Samus take a more active, up close role in combat. Honestly, it's not that much different from Brawl.

I'd be pretty annoyed if Mario showed up, too, but fuck, if it's what happens in brawl ...

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    carmofin wrote: »
    i smell a railshooter!!! *shakes fist*

What is a 2D sidescroller if not a rail shooter with jumping, in the end?
    Delzhand wrote: »
    i'm not sure i like badass wrestler samus

Me either, but there's a part of my brain that says "shit, if these guys are so tough that Samus has to get physical, she's a total badass for blowing away everything on Zebes (twice) without letting it get within 20 feet."

I like seeing Samus take a more active, up close role in combat. Honestly, it's not that much different from Brawl.

I'd be pretty annoyed if Mario showed up, too, but fuck, if it's what happens in brawl ...

Ok, this is a completely logical line of reasoning, not questionable in the least. Jesus.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So you see the error of suggesting that Brawl was a reasonable comparison? o_O

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So you see the error of suggesting that Brawl was a reasonable comparison to make? o_O
    Look, did you enjoy Brawl/Melee? Did you think the attacks that Samus did in Brawl were badass at all? If not, then opinions lol. Personally, I got used to Samus wailing on people pretty quickly, which is why it's not hard to adjust to seeing it here too. It looks cool and it fits with her character.

If I said I like seeing her with an ice beam like in the original Metroid, are you going to say "well what if the background was pure black, would you like that as well?"

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So you see the error of suggesting that Brawl was a reasonable comparison? o_O

Brawl is a game in which Samus fights. How is it a poor comparison to say her fighting up-close-and-personal works because they did it well in Brawl?

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Every time I look at the title of the game I think Samus: The Other White Meat.

That should have been the title. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I mean, to be honest, if all samus is capable of doing is shooting her gun arm than she's not a very good bounty hunter. Admittedly he CQC techniques in this game do seem a little over the top. :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MetatradMetatrad Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My brain can't even begin to comprehend the autotargeting nightmare going on in the top shot. Ohh, maybe we'll get to jerk the Wiimote to Change Target Left and Change Target Right!

A cool way to do this, with the right camera angles (which these aren't) would be to move Samus with the stick, while aiming with a Wiimote cursor independetly, in the style of the old PC game 'Abuse'.

Metatrad on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Metatrad wrote: »
    My brain can't even begin to comprehend the autotargeting nightmare going on in the top shot. Ohh, maybe we'll get to jerk the Wiimote to Change Target Left and Change Target Right!

A cool way to do this, with the right camera angles (which these aren't) would be to move Samus with the stick, while aiming with a Wiimote cursor independetly, in the style of the old PC game 'Abuse'.

In the style of the current PC game Soldat! It's a very fun control scheme.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i smell a railshooter!!! *shakes fist*

What is a 2D sidescroller if not a rail shooter with jumping, in the end?

Well this smells to me like a game WITHOUT exploration! a metroid WITHOUT exploration is not something i aplaud!
    and whats with the epix quality of cutscenes and then the game looks like someone trippled the saturation... talk about braking the immersion.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't understand the problem here.

A) Samus Aran - Badass
    B) Badass - able to stomp the shit out of enemies by any means necessary
    C)Who can stomp the shit out of her enemies by any means necessary? Samus Aran.

It fucking awesome to see her kick so much as like that. It makes her reputation as one of the best fucking bounty hunters in the galaxy a bit more realistic.

Besides, she's always done the crazy acrobatic shit, only now she's using enemies for posts and beams.

edit: before everyone gets pessimistic, don't be so quick to forget how much everyone thought that Prime being in 3D had doomed the series.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Metroid Fusion was pretty linear and it was still a rather enjoyable game.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm also wondering how the controls are going to work for this. You'd think the Wiimote would be used for targetting, but then making a complex CQC system work with the wiimote's button setup would seem rather bothersome unless the game is intended to only be played by actual ninjas.

Lars on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ooh, what if she can use her Lasso beam as a weapon to hurl foes across the room?

That would be awesome. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't see any indication that it's linear. Just because we haven't seen a morph ball bombing a secret wall doesn't mean this game is devoid of it.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    For some reason all this Metroid talk reminded me of this fan made movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL-mR79GErU

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2009

my exploration needs were fully satisfied with metroid fusion. in fact i think its a superior game to super metroid!
    in this demo it doesnt seem like samus is using any sort of skills that allow her access to specific areas, no energy tanks, only thing remotely metroid is the missiles and who knows where she got those from.
    i smell a huge load of crap.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    I don't understand the problem here.

A) Samus Aran - Badass
    B) Badass - able to stomp the shit out of enemies by any means necessary
    C)Who can stomp the shit out of her enemies by any means necessary? Samus Aran.

It fucking awesome to see her kick so much as like that. It makes her reputation as one of the best fucking bounty hunters in the galaxy a bit more realistic.

Besides, she's always done the crazy acrobatic shit, only now she's using enemies for posts and beams.

edit: before everyone gets pessimistic, don't be so quick to forget how much everyone thought that Prime being in 3D had doomed the series.

She has always done crazy acrobatic shit yes but she has also always shot people to death

I will play one of those lame WWE games if I want to wrestle shit :p

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Do you have any idea how boring a trailer would be that only showed samus finding power ups and hidden items?

edit; she still is shooting people to death. Did you not see her shove her cannon down that monsters throat... thingy?

Kor on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    It's a trailer

trailers focus on action (fights, etc)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't see any indication that it's linear. Just because we haven't seen a morph ball doesn't mean this game is devoid of it.

I find it very strange that we haven't seen the morph ball at all. It's kinda Samus's trademark move.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

my exploration needs were fully satisfied with metroid fusion. in fact i think its a superior game to super metroid!
    in this demo it doesnt seem like samus is using any sort of skills that allow her access to specific areas, no energy tanks, only thing remotely metroid is the missiles and who knows where she got those from.
    I smell a huge load of you making baseless fucking assumptions.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I get the impression this game is not anywhere near as far along as you all seem to think.

Of course, I could be in the wrong, but that would explain the "graphics" problems you aren't fond of as well.

Kor on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I foresee a Strategy RPG where the battles are played out as non-interactive cutscenes, and those are what we saw.

Alternatively, it's probably a dating simulator.

Either one is correct because I'm just filling in blanks with shit I'm making up, which is empirically tested as the best way to approach any vague information.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I liked how they had a scene with actual people other then Samus holding guns and fighting, even if it did look like they were pointing them at her.

If this is taking place in a place other then a backwater (And it seems like part of it might.), then you'd expect to see some soldiers running around, doing their own thing too.

Archonex on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Re: voice acting in Metroid. I think what most of you guys don't realise about voice acting in most games is that it sucks because for English speaking countries we get American dubs. Maybe it feels natural for the people of the Americas to be hearing these people with American accents but for me it totally breaks immersion. Samus is not an American. I don't want to be hearing her talk that way. Most of you won't care and will probably think I'm a dick for feeling that way. These characters aren't even from Earth, why are they speaking English at all? Every time someone argues for voice acting in a Zelda game, for example, my brain cringes. I've always thought that a Zelda game could be awesome with voice acting but only if everyone actually spoke Hylian and the game had subtitles. I mean, they have a whole language there that they've invented, or an alphabet at least, why not use it? I am fairly certain that it will never happen.

As for Metroid, I don't know. Metroid has always had one of the coolest settings ever. So distinctive, maybe not totally original but at least its influences haven't been immediately obvious. Such a great universe. Giving Samus an American voice just makes it a little more generic than I feel it is and ought to be. I felt that it was the only negative direction that Retro took when they had the franchise. Everything else was great. Aside from all that I don't think anything can really be inferred from what they've shown so far. It is reassuring that some of the original creators are deeply involved. I've never really liked any Team Ninja stuff but as people have said, most of the team are gone anyway. I suppose time will tell, as with anything in development. My initial reaction was not entirely positive but I'm not going to write it off. Still, it's about time for a DS 2D installment, isn't it?

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Re: voice acting in Metroid. I think what most of you guys don't realise about voice acting in most games is that it sucks because for English speaking countries we get American dubs. Maybe it feels natural for the people of the Americas to be hearing these people with American accents but for me it totally breaks immersion. Samus is not an American. I don't want to be hearing her talk that way. Most of you won't care and will probably think I'm a dick for feeling that way. These characters aren't even from Earth, why are they speaking English at all? Every time someone argues for voice acting in a Zelda game, for example, my brain cringes. I've always thought that a Zelda game could be awesome with voice acting but only if everyone actually spoke Hylian and the game had subtitles. I mean, they have a whole language there that they've invented, or an alphabet at least, why not use it? I am fairly certain that it will never happen. As for Metroid, I don't know. Metroid has always had one of the coolest settings ever. So distinctive, maybe not totally original but at least its influences haven't been immediately obvious. Such a great universe. Giving Samus an American voice just makes it a little more generic than I feel it is and ought to be. I felt that it was the only negative direction that Retro took when they had the franchise. Everything else was great. Aside from all that I don't think anything can really be inferred from what they've shown so far. It is reassuring that some of the original creators are deeply involved. I've never really liked any Team Ninja stuff but as people have said, most of the team are gone anyway. I suppose time will tell, as with anything in development. My initial reaction was not entirely positive but I'm not going to write it off. Still, it's about time for a DS 2D installment, isn't it?

The voice acting doesn't bother me that much. When I played Fusion, it didn't bother me that Samus had a good bit of lines in it, it just meant that Samus finally got a real personality instead of a robot suit shooting things and showing itself to be a hot chick at the end

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Stuff

Welcome to Earth, where most English-language popular entertainment comes from the States.

The alternatives would be to

1) give characters a known non-American accent, which then immediately raises questions of characterization and origin.

2) give characters a made-up accent, which is almost destined to be retarded.

3) assume it's like a lot of fantasy/sci-fi and they're speaking whatever language they speak but it's being presented in standard American English for simplicity's sake.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Stuff

Welcome to Earth, where most English-language popular entertainment comes from the States.

1) give characters a known non-American accent, which then immediately raises questions of characterization and origin.

3) assume it's like a lot of fantasy/sci-fi and they're speaking whatever language they speak but it's being presented in standard American English for simplicity's sake.
    Or just assume that America was the first and main country to colonize other planets/have reliable space travel, and thus English is the official 'space language'. Well, linguistics says that English in a couple hundred years will likely be very different from current English, but come on, it's a videogame.

Graviija on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

You have seen barely a second of actual gameplay. You do not know what the game is even like.

And your comment about the saturation being tripled: Metroid has always been pretty bright and colorful. Prime was probably the least colorful of any and it had the whole rainbow in there.

And missles are pretty metroidy. They have been in every game.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SirToasty wrote: »

You have seen barely a second of actual gameplay. You do not know what the game is even like.

And your comment about the saturation being tripled: Metroid has always been pretty bright and colorful. Prime was probably the least colorful of any and it had the whole rainbow in there.

iw as refering to the strong contrast between cutscenes and game.

also i meant the max number of the missiles changing throughout the various scenes.

and anyway, saying there IS exploration involved is as much speculation as saying theres NOT. ;)

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There were energy tanks...

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    There were energy tanks...

true, missed those, theres also a glimpse of a scene where samus seems to dash through some blocks, yo yeah, who knows ;)

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    Stuff

Or just assume that America was the first and main country to colonize other planets/have reliable space travel, and thus English is the official 'space language'. Well, linguistics says that English in a couple hundred years will likely be very different from current English, but come on, it's a videogame.

Seriously, you need to learn some suspension of disbelief if you are going to enjoy any sort of fantastical entertainment

It's like you're reading the John Carter books by Burroughs and going "why does this Martian princess look exactly like a human and known english? that is not an accurate representation of extraterrestrial life or mars at all harglebarglefargle"

English is the language I speak. Consequently it is also the language I think in. Since I cannot imagine what it is like to think in another language, I have my entertainment presented to me in English (generally) so that I can better absorb, understand, and digest it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I find it pretty ironic that Nintendo plans to satisfy my desire for mature games by employing the least mature development studio ever

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe it feels natural for the people of the Americas to be hearing these people with American accents

Yes, it does feel completely natural...
    but for me it totally breaks immersion. Samus is not an American. I don't want to be hearing her talk that way.

...but I feel your pain. One of my biggest problems with Siren (which is otherwise one of my favorite games) was that the American version of the game uses the British version's voice acting. Non-American accents are highly distracting to me, just like American accents are highly distracting to you. At the very least, North America, the UK, and Australia should all have their own dubs since each region's English is very different than the others.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SirToasty wrote: »

iw as refering to the strong contrast between cutscenes and game.

also i meant the max number of the missiles changing throughout the various scenes.

and anyway, saying there IS exploration involved is as much speculation as saying theres NOT. ;)
    Well I don't believe I said anything about there being rampant exploration. ;)

Max number of missles can easily be explained by picking up missle expansions. Another common thing in Metroid.

I do see what you mean about the cutscenes though. There is a pretty blatant contrast between the two.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »

I love it when people take "maybe" as ITS HAPPENING OMGWTFBBQZORZ.

Well, they do have the mask up and that involves Castlevania:Lord of Shadows.

THE MASK!
    http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/mask/

Krathoon on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe it feels natural for the people of the Americas to be hearing these people with American accents

Yes, it does feel completely natural...
    but for me it totally breaks immersion. Samus is not an American. I don't want to be hearing her talk that way.

...but I feel your pain. One of my biggest problems with Siren (which is otherwise one of my favorite games) was that the American version of the game uses the British version's voice acting. Non-American accents are highly distracting to me, just like American accents are highly distracting to you. At the very least, North America, the UK, and Australia should all have their own dubs since each region's English is very different than the others.

Look if you find people speaking with a different accent to your own distracting there is definitely something wrong with you.

The world is a pretty big place.

Unless they are speaking jive or something

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This looks promising, but I just don't know what to think based off that trailer.

It does look badass though.

earthwormadam on