edited June 2009
    When on earth does this take place?

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe it feels natural for the people of the Americas to be hearing these people with American accents

Yes, it does feel completely natural...
    but for me it totally breaks immersion. Samus is not an American. I don't want to be hearing her talk that way.

...but I feel your pain. One of my biggest problems with Siren (which is otherwise one of my favorite games) was that the American version of the game uses the British version's voice acting. Non-American accents are highly distracting to me, just like American accents are highly distracting to you. At the very least, North America, the UK, and Australia should all have their own dubs since each region's English is very different than the others.

I feel like Australian accents would be just as bad. I just want the characters to be more like what they are supposed to be portrayinig. People are always making a case for videogames as an artform. Until developers are as erudite as great masters of each of the other artforms the medium is going to be held back. That's a different argument, I guess. But I don't think wanting more in this department is too much to ask.

People say "welcome to Earth." So should we all just accept everything as it is when it could be better? Earth is a much bigger place than just the Americas. I think some Americans tend to forget that. Actually it's not just Americans. Many people just have a very narrow scope and I guess they are more easily catered to in any market.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When on earth does this take place?

Post-Super Metroid, pre-Fusion.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As you probably saw in the video, Adam was alive and well, and as you know, he:
    was the computer that gave you directions in Fusion

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I expect Adam to be killed in this. As it's a big reveal when you find out he was uploaded into the computer in Fusion.

My question is wtf is the other M? What the fuuuuuuuuuck

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why is MB in that video

At the end, it looked like Samus was exiting some kind of program, like maybe she was doing some virtual training against previous enemies?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dunno how I feel about a third-person Metroid game. While that's what we effectively played for the side-scrolling games, the first-person element was largely responsible for the feeling of immersion in the Metroid Prime games. The obvious downside was not being able to see how awesome you looked during fights, but I consider that a small price to pay for actually feeling like I was there doing the fighting. The major upside is maybe now we'll finally get a true break away from the tedious scanning of the Prime series. Plus, the possibility of combat more engaging than "side boost, side boost, shoot weak point, side boost, jump, repeat five hundred times". Seeing Samus use the suit's other abilities in combat (high strength, high jumping, etc.) will be a nice change.

I can see why this next game would want to move away from the first-person view, but I don't see how it would be a real improvement on the series. Moving the game into a third-person mode makes it extremely clear that you're just playing a game. I don't know how they'll overcome that deficiency. It looks like you get moved into first-person view for precise aiming, but that's just not the same thing.

While I'm fine with Samus finally getting a voice, I just know that the VA actor will sound like absolute garbage. MP3 had some pretty bad voice acting/writing and I sincerely doubt Team Ninja (especially the current Team Ninja with most of the mojo gone) will bother doing a decent job with the English VA work. I have absolutely no clue why Japanese developers are almost completely incapable of getting decent writers and voice actors for the English releases of their games, but we all know the odds of the voices not being cringe-worthy are pretty low.

I want to give these changes a fair chance, but I have little hope that we'll get a new Best Metroid Game Yet out of Team Ninja.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why is MB in that video

At the end, it looked like Samus was exiting some kind of program, like maybe she was doing some virtual training against previous enemies?

Or maybe theres time travel involved
    (I hope not)

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dunno how I feel about a third-person Metroid game. While that's what we effectively played for the side-scrolling games, the first-person element was largely responsible for the feeling of immersion in the Metroid Prime games. The obvious downside was not being able to see how awesome you looked during fights, but I consider that a small price to pay for actually feeling like I was there doing the fighting. The major upside is maybe now we'll finally get a true break away from the tedious scanning of the Prime series. Plus, the possibility of combat more engaging than "side boost, side boost, shoot weak point, side boost, jump, repeat five hundred times". Seeing Samus use the suit's other abilities in combat (high strength, high jumping, etc.) will be a nice change.

I can see why this next game would want to move away from the first-person view, but I don't see how it would be a real improvement on the series. Moving the game into a third-person mode makes it extremely clear that you're just playing a game. I don't know how they'll overcome that deficiency. It looks like you get moved into first-person view for precise aiming, but that's just not the same thing.

While I'm fine with Samus finally getting a voice, I just know that the VA actor will sound like absolute garbage. MP3 had some pretty bad voice acting/writing and I sincerely doubt Team Ninja (especially the current Team Ninja with most of the mojo gone) will bother doing a decent job with the English VA work. I have absolutely no clue why Japanese developers are almost completely incapable of getting decent writers and voice actors for the English releases of their games, but we all know the odds of the voices not being cringe-worthy are pretty low.

I want to give these changes a fair chance, but I have little hope that we'll get a new Best Metroid Game Yet out of Team Ninja.

It's the same actress that played her in the prime series and also plays some chick in Mass Effect...or at least I'm pretty sure they're using her again..it sounds like her.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

It's the same actress that played her in the prime series and also plays some chick in Mass Effect...or at least I'm pretty sure they're using her again..it sounds like her.

Oh shit, that's Jennifer Hale?

Awesome

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It would be nice to get a confirmation on the game's time-frame in refference to the Metroid storyline.

But yeah, that trailer looked awesome, and I'd love to see Samus smashing faces with her armored fist this time around.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Vray wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Who is Team Ninja exactly?

Makers of "Ninja Gaiden" and "Dead or Alive".

I knew there was a fell entity from beyond space and time responsible for the increasingly skimpy outfits and breast size, but I didn't know it was this bad

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The Zero suit is less skimpy than the bikini she's wearing at the end of Super Metroid for Christ's sake.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sakamoto's no doubt doing the design of new characters in this game, but if he isn't, it will be Hayashi. His characters are damn near flat.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Vray wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Who is Team Ninja exactly?

Makers of "Ninja Gaiden" and "Dead or Alive".

I knew there was a fell entity from beyond space and time responsible for the increasingly skimpy outfits and breast size, but I didn't know it was this bad

Yeah, regardless of anything else, you just know that Team Ninja is going to dedicate obscene amounts of processing power to tit physics regardless of whether Samus is in or out of the suit. Aren't they also responsible for the DOA volleyball trash?

Be prepared for Samus in non-suited, thong bikini-wielding sequences. At the very least, I'd bet money on an unlockable bikini model to re-play through the game with.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »
    The Zero suit is less skimpy than the bikini she's wearing at the end of Super Metroid for Christ's sake.

Or, hell, when you die.

Best player death animation, or bestest?

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That was great when I was 13.

It's still great now.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

SHE LOOKS LIKE A GODDAMN ACTION FIGURE FROM THE EIGHTIES FOR CHRISTS SAKE!

Also, ponytail? D:

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is quite possible the best announcement Nintendo could make. Plus they are making Metroid more actiony which is a huge plus in my book. If the action is as cool as the first trailer and they could give it a bit of Ninja Gaiden level of flair with the action I'm sold hard.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

At least she's wearing something that kinda resembles clothing (even if it is form-fitting).

MegaMek on
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Trailer looked freaking awesome! Definitely looking forward to when it gets released.

I never expected Team Ninja to get involved in this franchise.

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This is quite possible the best announcement Nintendo could make. Plus they are making Metroid more actiony which is a huge plus in my book. If the action is as cool as the first trailer and they could give it a bit of Ninja Gaiden level of flair with the action I'm sold hard.

Fuck you man.

I want more writing by Frank Miller, if I do not receive that I will do what I should have done after Sonic 2009.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    algorhythm3.14algorhythm3.14 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

At least she's wearing something that kinda resembles clothing (even if it is form-fitting).

What about form fitting clothing are you considering a bad thing? Its the future in Metroid; go to a trendy store and look at the pants, we are headed there 8-). But seriously, stop with this shame on the sinful human form crap. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Zero-Suit from a sexuality-in-games perspective. Considering the Varia-Suit "fusion" and the fact that its the fucking future makes it very reasonable. Stop being 12 year old Mormons, sexy != bad.

algorhythm3.14 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You're reading comprehension is very bad.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guys, guys.

Under all that armor and clothing, Samus is naked.

Tell me honestly that you didn't just go from six to midnight.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm tentatively on board with this. Retro was amazing and I understand they've got other things to do, no problem there, I just have no familiarity with Team Ninja. Off to a good start though.

Gabe & Tycho seem excited, though they have a long track record as Metroid fans.

20090603.jpg

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gold. Mike and Jerry pretty much nailed my reactions.

edit: On that topic, the Vitality sensor makes a lot of sense if used in conjunction with a fitness game. Monitoring heartrate can be very useful when you're trying to train efficiently. I just don't understand why Nintendo was so goddamn vague about what it's for.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Awesome
    Considering she did do the voice for the last 3 games, I see why not.
    http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0030655/

Xabora on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Xabora wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Brainiac8 wrote: »

Awesome
    Considering she did do the voice for the last 3 games, I see why not.
    http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0030655/

Yes but that was just grunting and screaming.

...D:
    :winky:

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Pretty much the same here. Glad to have some Nintendo stuff to look forward to again. Overall I don't really like the idea of them anime'ing up Samus and the Metroid Universe. Don't get me wrong; I like anime as much as the next gamer girl... I just didn't need it in my Metroid. But then the trailer showed the gameplay and all that Team Ninja action... That 2d stuff is hot. o_O I think I can live with the melodrama now.

Edit: Oh and Hale is back for the voiceover? Ok well at least Samus will sound right in the cutscenes.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Isn't it bit early to say whether the voice actor is Jennifer Hale? It was someone else in Brawl. Doesn't sound like in Brawl, though.

Peewi on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, just because Hale was in the Retro games doesn't mean necessarily mean she's reprising the role in this installment, duders. Her absence would mean jack to me, anyway; that is, unless the new VA is absolutely horrible.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shrieve wrote: »

Overall I don't really like the idea of them anime'ing up Samus and the Metroid Universe.

I think the anime Samus ship has long since sailed, found the new world and given diseased blankets to the natives.

But I'm not complaining. I've never been afraid to admit that ZSS is smokin' hot and I love my eye candy.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe it feels natural for the people of the Americas to be hearing these people with American accents

Yes, it does feel completely natural...
    but for me it totally breaks immersion. Samus is not an American. I don't want to be hearing her talk that way.

...but I feel your pain. One of my biggest problems with Siren (which is otherwise one of my favorite games) was that the American version of the game uses the British version's voice acting. Non-American accents are highly distracting to me, just like American accents are highly distracting to you. At the very least, North America, the UK, and Australia should all have their own dubs since each region's English is very different than the others.

This isn't a term I like to throw around lightly, but that is retarded.

Hearing a Kiwi accent in a game now and then is nice (Temuera Morrison in a Star Wars game is pretty much the only example that comes to mind right now), but I'm quite capable of being immersed in a story with voice-acting in an accent other than my own. The idea that "Samus lives in space, why should she sound American?" is asinine.
    Come to think of it, the only time it really bothers me is when an obviously fake accent is being used (like whoever does the voice of Clone Troopers when Tem's not around...).

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like the idea of whoever came up with it, that Samus was cloned and is reliving flashbacks of the real Samus' previous encounters with the space pirates through a computer simulation. This way Team Ninja can go wherever they want with the story without affecting the canon too much, well but of course the clone would have to die at the end.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    After hearing bad stuff about this trailer from pretty much everywhere, I have to ask why.

I think it looks pretty cool, personally.

Terrible name, though.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Most likely just the project name, isn't it?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Let's hope so.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    After hearing bad stuff about this trailer from pretty much everywhere, I have to ask why.

What? Who said anything bad about it? Tell us so we can hurt them for being stupid.

MegaMek on