Options

Metroid: Other M - let's talk about Samus' body some more guys

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's a good trailer for Action Gamez 4, from the makers of Action Gamez 2, 3, and X. As a Metroid game it looks about as interesting as a fart in a test tube.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As Eminem would say; Wowzers, I just made a mess in my trousers.

That trailer looks awesome, nice to mix a few styles together there, I felt like I could really see the Team Ninja input with the camera angles and melee sections.

Some of the clips made it seem as though some elements weren't fitting together too well, Samus looked out of place in her suit in some areas.

Snare on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MH79 wrote: »
    I expect Adam to be killed in this. As it's a big reveal when you find out he was uploaded into the computer in Fusion.

My question is wtf is the other M? What the fuuuuuuuuuck

Note that it isn't "the" other M, just other M. I think it has something to do with "other" in conjunction with "M..." Mother.
    Jandaru wrote: »
    Maybe it feels natural for the people of the Americas to be hearing these people with American accents

Yes, it does feel completely natural...
    but for me it totally breaks immersion. Samus is not an American. I don't want to be hearing her talk that way.

...but I feel your pain. One of my biggest problems with Siren (which is otherwise one of my favorite games) was that the American version of the game uses the British version's voice acting. Non-American accents are highly distracting to me, just like American accents are highly distracting to you. At the very least, North America, the UK, and Australia should all have their own dubs since each region's English is very different than the others.

This isn't a term I like to throw around lightly, but that is retarded.

Hearing a Kiwi accent in a game now and then is nice (Temuera Morrison in a Star Wars game is pretty much the only example that comes to mind right now), but I'm quite capable of being immersed in a story with voice-acting in an accent other than my own. The idea that "Samus lives in space, why should she sound American?" is asinine.
    Come to think of it, the only time it really bothers me is when an obviously fake accent is being used (like whoever does the voice of Clone Troopers when Tem's not around...).

Seriously. Does it break immersion when you hear American accents in our TV shows and movies? Wait, they don't redub them for you, do they?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I find that text spoils immersion for me far more then voice acting does. It never fails to piss me off that I have to wait on my RPG game releases for months so they can translate all the text into half a dozen languages, then still have to play the American translation.

It'd take you about half an hour to change all the 'color' to 'colour' stuff, you idle bastards!

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jeremy Parish did an interview with Sakamoto which convinced him the game would be amazing. It should be up one of these days.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I expect Adam to be killed in this. As it's a big reveal when you find out he was uploaded into the computer in Fusion.

Note that it isn't "the" other M, just other M. I think it has something to do with "other" in conjunction with "M..." Mother.
    Maybe it feels natural for the people of the Americas to be hearing these people with American accents

but for me it totally breaks immersion. Samus is not an American. I don't want to be hearing her talk that way.

...but I feel your pain. One of my biggest problems with Siren (which is otherwise one of my favorite games) was that the American version of the game uses the British version's voice acting. Non-American accents are highly distracting to me, just like American accents are highly distracting to you. At the very least, North America, the UK, and Australia should all have their own dubs since each region's English is very different than the others.

Hearing a Kiwi accent in a game now and then is nice (Temuera Morrison in a Star Wars game is pretty much the only example that comes to mind right now), but I'm quite capable of being immersed in a story with voice-acting in an accent other than my own. The idea that "Samus lives in space, why should she sound American?" is asinine.
    Come to think of it, the only time it really bothers me is when an obviously fake accent is being used (like whoever does the voice of Clone Troopers when Tem's not around...).

Seriously. Does it break immersion when you hear American accents in our TV shows and movies? Wait, they don't redub them for you, do they?

Not that I agree with him but that's a completely absurd comparison since your TV shows and movies star american actors playing american characters in america.

As for the original comment, no she isn't american. She also isn't anywhere from Earth. So are you proposing developers need to invent entirely new accents for all these characters?

Rami on
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

He probably also thinks the American Mario should talk like an Italian mobster from Boston.

Arceus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Not that I agree with him but that's a completely absurd comparison since your TV shows and movies star american actors playing american characters in america.
    There are lots of sci-fi movies and TV shows where people speak American english.
    Arceus wrote: »
    He probably also thinks the American Mario should talk like an Italian mobster from Boston.

To be honest I think he should too. I liked Mario in the cartoon series and absolutely hated his voice in Mario 64 for a long time.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I dunno how I feel about a third-person Metroid game. While that's what we effectively played for the side-scrolling games, the first-person element was largely responsible for the feeling of immersion in the Metroid Prime games. The obvious downside was not being able to see how awesome you looked during fights, but I consider that a small price to pay for actually feeling like I was there doing the fighting. The major upside is maybe now we'll finally get a true break away from the tedious scanning of the Prime series. Plus, the possibility of combat more engaging than "side boost, side boost, shoot weak point, side boost, jump, repeat five hundred times". Seeing Samus use the suit's other abilities in combat (high strength, high jumping, etc.) will be a nice change.

I can see why this next game would want to move away from the first-person view, but I don't see how it would be a real improvement on the series. Moving the game into a third-person mode makes it extremely clear that you're just playing a game. I don't know how they'll overcome that deficiency. It looks like you get moved into first-person view for precise aiming, but that's just not the same thing.

While I'm fine with Samus finally getting a voice, I just know that the VA actor will sound like absolute garbage. MP3 had some pretty bad voice acting/writing and I sincerely doubt Team Ninja (especially the current Team Ninja with most of the mojo gone) will bother doing a decent job with the English VA work. I have absolutely no clue why Japanese developers are almost completely incapable of getting decent writers and voice actors for the English releases of their games, but we all know the odds of the voices not being cringe-worthy are pretty low.

I want to give these changes a fair chance, but I have little hope that we'll get a new Best Metroid Game Yet out of Team Ninja.

It's the same actress that played her in the prime series and also plays some chick in Mass Effect...or at least I'm pretty sure they're using her again..it sounds like her.

Some chick?! D:

She's goddamn Shepard.

Anyway, I'm super, super pumped for this - if this ends up exploring the backstory that was set up in the old manga, I'm going to seriously squee or something.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And the fact they're nearly all american is kinda bullshit and something that gets complained about. Just like how the majority of protagonists are white, and people bitch about that.

Leitner on
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    And the fact they're nearly all american is kinda bullshit and something that gets complained about. Just like how the majority of protagonists are white, and people bitch about that.
    But then the protagonist here is a woman, which is at least something right?

Arceus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    There are lots of sci-fi movies and TV shows where people speak American english.

Yeah but they are mostly american characters from Earth..star trek, stargate etc.

As for the aliens, well that was my other point. You can't go around inventing new accents for every imaginery race. Also Mario is Italian and should speak with an Italian accent.
    It's ironic you should bring this up of course, because america is the least tolerant of other cultures. You actually do have people that go through foreign media and edit it to suit american standards.

Rami on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    It's a good trailer for Action Gamez 4, from the makers of Action Gamez 2, 3, and X. As a Metroid game it looks about as interesting as a fart in a test tube.

259eoeh.jpg

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Oh for sure, and there's nothing wrong with any one game doing it. It's more when taken as a whole it can get under peoples skins.

Though amusingly enough, there’s a number of claims that at least the first metroid had an anti-feminist message. After al it was a stinger that she was a woman. Which was done as a shocking revelation. Suggesting the fact that a woman could be a badass super soldier is rather out of the ordinary. Not sure I agree. But I digress, this new metroid game, looks pretty cool right? Any idea of a release date yet?

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's ironic you should bring this up of course, because america is the least tolerant of other cultures. You actually do have people that go through foreign media and edit it to suit american standards.
    Are you sure this is America changing things because we don't like them foreigners, or the content producers changing them because of some ill-conceived notion that America will receive it better edited? Doesn't almost everyone prefer the original content (translated so they can understand it or subtitled, of course)? And does it merely appear more prolific in America because a) people are used to American content and thus don't edit it and b) America produces a lot more of the big name content, so a lot more is going out unchanged?

Editing/censoring content from other countries happens around the world constantly. Europe's No More Heroes had no blood. Manhunt 2 was banned in the UK and Fallout 3 was banned in Australia.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    *Wasn't banned. Was left unrated.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hey, HEY! Metroids!

Metroids are awesome.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Hey, HEY! Metroids!

Metroids are awesome.

Yes. I had a long reply but this is a thread about metroids.

I hope there is still a large amount of exploration, though I get the feeling I will be disappointed.

Rami on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We have like 60 seconds of actual gameplay in that trailer. There simply isn't enough information available to make any kind of judgement regarding the quality of the game (or lack thereof). Maybe it'll be too actiony, maybe it'll have terrible camera work, maybe it'll be perfect. We simply don't know, and people need to quit acting like they do.

BTW, is anyone else simply happy that one of their favorite game franchises isn't being ignored for nearly a decade as happened after Super Metroid? As it stands, we only have one truly bad game (Hunters) out of the bunch. I, for one, think of that as fairly good luck personally.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That is something we should all agree on. :?

MegaMek on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wait wait wait

Samus is a girl?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yes, but Metroid is a boy.

Rami on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    The Zero suit is less skimpy than the bikini she's wearing at the end of Super Metroid for Christ's sake.

SHE LOOKS LIKE A GODDAMN ACTION FIGURE FROM THE EIGHTIES FOR CHRISTS SAKE!

At least she's wearing something that kinda resembles clothing (even if it is form-fitting).

What about form fitting clothing are you considering a bad thing? Its the future in Metroid; go to a trendy store and look at the pants, we are headed there 8-). But seriously, stop with this shame on the sinful human form crap. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Zero-Suit from a sexuality-in-games perspective. Considering the Varia-Suit "fusion" and the fact that its the fucking future makes it very reasonable. Stop being 12 year old Mormons, sexy != bad.

I still think this is the best Samus gear without the suit ever, even if it is just the cover of some random doujinshi:

Spoilered for size, SFW
    1215254599468.jpg

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That looks really cool, and really practical.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Couple things from a long time Metroid fan.

1> This game looks shit hot, and from a pure gameplay perspective, I'm interested. A game that can mix side scrolling, first, and third person view points and do it well has got me sold on concept alone.

2> As a Metroid game I'm a bit worried. As a long time Metroid fanboy and purist, I'm a bit skeptical over how the game will be presented. Mainly because...

3> Team Ninja is creating the game. Ninja Gaiden is a fun game. Ninja Gaiden is also super terrible in the story department and cinematics department. This is Metroid we're talking about. Over blown story won't help Metroid at all. As fun as Fusion, Zero Mission, and Prime 3 were to play, all of the additional story elements added with those games only served to fatten up the previously slim and muscular Metroid universe. A little backstory is fine and dandy. Even a few other characters I can handle. But adding too much runs the risk of cheesing the series up. Again, considering that Team Ninja is behind it, unless Nintendo takes the reigns in the story department, I'm a bit nervous on how Team Ninja will treat the franchise. I really don't want to see Metroid's story turned into the Saturday Night Shitty Anime on G4 or SpikeTV.

4> Metroid is not Ninja Gaiden. Meaning, Metroid is not a twitch action game. Metroid has always been relatively slow and plodding. It's combat system has been based on upgrading your weapons, not on unlocking new somersault kicks and ninja moves. The trailer alludes to this change in action.

Again. I'm sure Team Ninja will make a good game. Hell, Nintendo is backing them and Nintendo know when something is good and something isn't. I'm just not sure if it will be a tried and true Metroid.

EDIT
    I like the idea of whoever came up with it, that Samus was cloned and is reliving flashbacks of the real Samus' previous encounters with the space pirates through a computer simulation. This way Team Ninja can go wherever they want with the story without affecting the canon too much, well but of course the clone would have to die at the end.

God I fucking hope not.

Sheep on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This could be awesome indeed.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone else getting flashbacks to when we first heard Prime would be First Person? Some of the reactions in here are just o_O

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    3> Team Ninja is creating the game. Ninja Gaiden is a fun game. Ninja Gaiden is also super terrible in the story department and cinematics department. This is Metroid we're talking about. Over blown story won't help Metroid at all. As fun as Fusion, Zero Mission, and Prime 3 were to play, all of the additional story elements added with those games only served to fatten up the previously slim and muscular Metroid universe. A little backstory is fine and dandy. Even a few other characters I can handle. But adding too much runs the risk of cheesing the series up. Again, considering that Team Ninja is behind it, unless Nintendo takes the reigns in the story department, I'm a bit nervous on how Team Ninja will treat the franchise. I really don't want to see Metroid's story turned into the Saturday Night Shitty Anime on G4 or SpikeTV.

I'm also worried about the story elements (I really don't want to see this game infested with shitty anime tropes), but I'm willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt. As has been previously mentioned, this isn't really the same Team Ninja.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    3> Team Ninja is creating the game. Ninja Gaiden is a fun game. Ninja Gaiden is also super terrible in the story department and cinematics department.

This was largely due to Itagaki. He's not there anymore, though, and Sakamoto is at the helm. Clearly it is a different, more vibrant style than we are used to, but I don't think we should we should be worrying about a plot of Ninja Gaiden/Dead Or Alive caliber.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not to mention that it isn't just Team Ninja. Some Nintendo staff members are no doubt involved including the director.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't see Ninja as the lead developer on design details. I see Nintendo saying, here is the story, here is a detailed design document, now go at it under our close supervision.

I hope they get some Retro guys consulting to marry the games together well.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    except the story bits in the trailer don't look like any Nintendo game ever?

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nintendo keeps a pretty tight leash on their intellectual property when they rent it out to other developers. So, personally, I'm not terribly worried about Samus suddenly turning into Rachel from Ninja Gaiden. People would lose jobs over that.

I'd like to echo something that I saw earlier in the thread: Metroid has always been about exploration and using the new equipment you find to find more new equipment, but the fandom has a pretty strong culture of speedrunning and using hidden techniques to clear stuff faster. So if they go with a more actiony route this time, emphasizing the speed-boosting, wall-jumping, platform-hopping side of things, I'll be happy as a clam.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

You mean like if the Galactic Federation was secretly experimenting on Metroids and Samus found out and became a wanted woman in the process while being chased by a parasitic clone of herself as a human-turned-AI who happened to know Samus helped her escape?

Or like, if the Federation started infusing its soldiers with black goop to supercharge their weapons and Samus got infused with it too and started slowly mutating from the radiation but needed to rely on it in order to defeat her other clone which was made out of a pure version of the stuff?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Oh for sure, and there's nothing wrong with any one game doing it. It's more when taken as a whole it can get under peoples skins.

Though amusingly enough, there’s a number of claims that at least the first metroid had an anti-feminist message. After al it was a stinger that she was a woman. Which was done as a shocking revelation. Suggesting the fact that a woman could be a badass super soldier is rather out of the ordinary. Not sure I agree. But I digress, this new metroid game, looks pretty cool right? Any idea of a release date yet?

Sometime in 2010. That's all we know so far, I think.

Norfair on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm also worried about the story elements (I really don't want to see this game infested with shitty anime tropes), but I'm willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt. As has been previously mentioned, this isn't really the same Team Ninja.
    Cherrn wrote: »
    This was largely due to Itagaki. He's not there anymore, though, and Sakamoto is at the helm. Clearly it is a different, more vibrant style than we are used to, but I don't think we should we should be worrying about a plot of Ninja Gaiden/Dead Or Alive caliber.

For your consideration, I thought the story elements added to Fusion, Zero Mission, and Prime 3 were way too much. Especially Zero Mission.

Example. The Chozo are a mysterious but extinct race of wise aliens who left artifacts of their dead culture to litter their abandoned worlds. Their experiments and knowledge may be linked to some of the horrors we have witnessed in space.

Cool. Mysterious. Leaves much to the imagination.

So what does Nintendo do? OLO LETS GO AHEAD AND GIVE THE CHOZO TONS OF EXPOSURE AND EXPLAIN ALL THAT AND ADD A TOUCHING STORY BETWEEN LINKING THE HEROINE OF OUR STORY TO THE ANCIENT, WISE, EXTINCT RACE OH AND LETS HAVE A SUPERIOR CALL HER LADY AND REVEAL THAT PERSONALITY IS LINKED TO A COMPUTER SYSTEM THAT SAMUS TALKS WITH!

That's terrible. The most story you got in the middle of Super Metriod was going down a corridor and, oh shit a dead body with flies on it.

EDIT
    You mean like if the Galactic Federation was secretly experimenting on Metroids and Samus found out and became a wanted woman in the process while being chased by a parasitic clone of herself as a human-turned-AI who happened to know Samus helped her escape?

Or like, if the Federation started infusing its soldiers with black goop to supercharge their weapons and Samus got infused with it too and started slowly mutating from the radiation but needed to rely on it in order to defeat her other clone which was made out of a pure version of the stuff?

ACK! MY BRAIN! IT'S BURROWING INTO MY BRAIN! STOP!

The clone shit and resurrecting Ridley has got to go. Kraid had a clone. He doesn't need twelve dozen and neither do anyone else.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nintendo keeps a pretty tight leash on their intellectual property when they rent it out to other developers.

They let Rare ruin Starfox. While they freakin owned the company.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

I more meant handsome anime looking captain looks pointedly handsome anime girl. also a confrontation between the two clones before they anime transform.

Basically the style is completely different to any Nintendo game I've ever seen, and rather reminiscent of Ninja Gaiden

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    After watching the trailer about 10 times. I'm still sold... I can't wait to play this. You guys need to be more optimistic.

urahonky on