As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Super Mario Bros Wii - Out Now. 15

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think that is why I'm not bothered by no online.

This is a game that anyone can play multiplayer and it would be fun. Where as grandma playing Metroid can be frustrating, everyone gets the concept of moving left to right jumping on things as you go.

I don't think that it will be a problem finding people to play. I also agree that people online could be assholes without helping at all, which would piss me off like crazy.

brokecracker on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RockinX wrote: »
    The only complaint I had for NSMB is that it was too short. I finished it 100% in like 6 days.

What do you want out of a mario game? You can 100% Super Mario World in like... 4 or 5 hours?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I wonder if NSMB would have felt as bland if it had awesome music. Because the music in NSMB was terrible.

I thought it was the best music in ages. By now I'm used to hearing new themes in each game and when I first heard it I just thought how quintessentially Mario it is. It makes me smile. The enemies dance to it. It's adaptable to different types of levels as past themes.

I remember I really disliked the Mario World music when I first heard it as a kid, I don't know why. I guess I thought it should've been more like the NES feel. It's still not my favorite.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    The only complaint I had for NSMB is that it was too short. I finished it 100% in like 6 days.

What do you want out of a mario game? You can 100% Super Mario World in like... 4 or 5 hours?

an hour and half actually

FyreWulff on
    edited September 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

That's a little disingenuous, but yes, SMW should not take anyone 6 days. If how long it takes is your issue, then your problem is that you are older and more experienced, through no fault of NSMB.

According to the internet, NSMB can be beaten in 23 minutes 55 seconds if you get the right powerup spawns (world 1 cannon -> world 5 cannon -> world 8).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited September 2009

That's a little disingenuous, but yes, SMW should not take anyone 6 days. If how long it takes is your issue, then your problem is that you are older and more experienced, through no fault of NSMB.

According to the internet, NSMB can be beaten in 23 minutes 55 seconds if you get the right powerup spawns (world 1 cannon -> world 5 cannon -> world 8).

That's the 100% time, if you do the shortcut path it's 12 minutes :P

FyreWulff on
    edited September 2009
    I'm saying 100% super mario world, without being some godlike player, would probably take around 5 hours or so. Star Road is pretty hard.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • RolloutRollout Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rollout wrote: »
    The only gripe I had with NSMB is while each level has a theme of its own, the "gimmick" that they introduced almost never come back again in later levels, resulting in levels that plays the gimmick's cards, but are left predictable up to the level's end and lacking in length. It's a shame, because I liked many stages, and hungered for a secret or later world that compiled everything to challenge the player.

Beside that, the experience I had was overall enjoyable, and I've had great two players fun. NSMB Wii looks like it has a better multiplayer, so I'm looking forward for it.

Yeah, there was stuff I'd have liked to have seen more of: more sewer levels, things like where you jump on that pump and blow that stopper with the Piranha Plant... among other things.

Which ones were you thinking of?
    I'm talking more about gameplay features than levels themselves. Rope physics, deadly wall of fire, invisible blocks, coin rooms, pipe mazes, and monsters like fire and giant hammer brothers, I felt they just more of them could have been fitted them in the game.

The themes themselves were okay. I didn't have any particular favorite world, though the dark world had a a great setting.

Rollout on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    NSMB had Hammer, Fire, Sumo, and even Boomerang Bros. Many of the monsters from SMB3 were in the game.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited September 2009
    I'm saying 100% super mario world, without being some godlike player, would probably take around 5 hours or so. Star Road is pretty hard.

Mario World isn't really that hard.

You can beat the entire first world by just holding right and jumping at the right time.

FyreWulff on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

You can beat the entire first world by just holding right and jumping at the right time.

The Special levels are still hard. HARD.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • RolloutRollout Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    NSMB had Hammer, Fire, Sumo, and even Boomerang Bros. Many of the monsters from SMB3 were in the game.
    Yes, what I was talking about is how I would have liked seeing those monsters more often thorough the game, and not just a couple of them in the last world, even if that would have spiked the game difficulty up.

Rollout on
    edited September 2009
    Yes, what I was talking about is how I would have liked seeing those monsters more often thorough the game, and not just a couple of them in the last world, even if that would have spiked the game difficulty up.

Gottcha, I see what you are saying, and I agree. I kind of wish some of the harder monsters appeared more often also...but even with what we got, I really enjoyed the game.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited September 2009

Can you? I would think without waiting in place a little on the level up high with moving platforms would egt you killed in about 3 seconds. Also the first koopa kid fight would get you in the lava.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    edited September 2009
    I actually like levels with individual gimmicks. Helps keep the game from getting stale, and makes each level a new experience, wondering what they'll throw your way next. I don't mean I want one thing per level always, I just don't want to be like "ugh a rope filled level again, and more sumo guys."

UncleSporky on
    edited September 2009
    Careful, there can never be too many sumo guys. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    I actually like levels with individual gimmicks. Helps keep the game from getting stale, and makes each level a new experience, wondering what they'll throw your way next. I don't mean I want one thing per level always, I just don't want to be like "ugh a rope filled level again, and more sumo guys."
    Levels with gimmicks have been a part of Mario forever, really. I mean, Kuribo's Shoe was one damn level. Even in SMB you had gimmicks with Lakitu, water and so forth.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited September 2009

Can you? I would think without waiting in place a little on the level up high with moving platforms would egt you killed in about 3 seconds. Also the first koopa kid fight would get you in the lava.

Yep. That level you're talking about? It's set up so that if you just hold right and forward, the platforms are timed to get under you and let you keep going.

There's also another later level (one of the Butter Bridge ones) that if you take off flying with yoshi at the start and slow-fall down with the cape, he'll bounce off perfectly on the saw blades until you get halfway through the level.

FyreWulff on
    edited September 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Levels with gimmicks have been a part of Mario forever, really. I mean, Kuribo's Shoe was one damn level. Even in SMB you had gimmicks with Lakitu, water and so forth.

Ok, Kuribo's Shoe actually super disappointed me because it was great. Plus it must've taken up a significant amount of programming and debugging in the NES days, all to be used in exactly one level.

But looking back I am glad Tanuki and Hammer Suits were rare, since it made them mythical treasures to be coveted and searched for.

UncleSporky on
    edited September 2009
    I was so paranoid about not finding another Tanooki or Hammer Bros suit while playing SMB3 that I rarely used them when I was younger.

Same goes with the frog suit.

I had a hard time bringing myself to use them due to how hard it was to find another one.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was so paranoid about not finding another Tanooki or Hammer Bros suit while playing SMB3 that I rarely used them when I was younger.

Same goes with the frog suit.

I had a hard time bringing myself to use them due to how hard it was to find another one.

The equivalent of similar items in an RPG.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited September 2009
    Without looking them up, I want to say there were 3 Tanuki suits and 2 Hammer suits, outside of toad houses.

UncleSporky on
    edited September 2009
    And even in the toad houses they were rare and difficult to get.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited September 2009
    After Mario Galaxy they should be able to implement those idea's into a 2d world.

Damnit, not I want Paper Mario Galaxy.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited September 2009
    After Mario Galaxy they should be able to implement those idea's into a 2d world.

Damnit, not I want Paper Mario Galaxy.
    28662_paper_mario_galaxy-v4.png

Opium on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I wonder if NSMB would have felt as bland if it had awesome music. Because the music in NSMB was terrible.

I thought it was the best music in ages. By now I'm used to hearing new themes in each game and when I first heard it I just thought how quintessentially Mario it is. It makes me smile. The enemies dance to it. It's adaptable to different types of levels as past themes.

This. Well, mostly. I like some of the more "adventure" type themes more, such as the Bob-omb Battlefield theme in Super Mario 64, or the original Mario theme, now relegated to special occasions. I wish more environments had their own themes, though; I liked the beach theme in particular, and the underwater theme was cool. Underground was a nice remix, and I liked the Ghost House, fortress, and desert themes. I wish the mountains had their own theme, though.

The music that was recurring throughout was good for the first world, I just wish it hadn't been carried through most of the game.

Oh, and I love the music in the second half of Dark Land, such as when you're racing up the volcano.

But regardless of the music, dancing enemies were awesome, and I hope they're in NSMBWii.
    I'm talking more about gameplay features than levels themselves. Rope physics, deadly wall of fire, invisible blocks, coin rooms, pipe mazes, and monsters like fire and giant hammer brothers, I felt they just more of them could have been fitted them in the game.

I think that fits the pump part, too. I won't argue except to say that I agree and wish there had been more of some level styles.

Btw, I assume by giant Hammer Bros. that you mean the Sledge Bros.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

The Special levels are still hard. HARD.

I've been playing the GBA port of Super Mario World in preparation for NSMB Wii and having a tough time with it. Partially it's the fact that it's on a small screen and the buttons are a little harder to push, but mostly it's just the game. Those special levels are killer, even with two capes and Yoshi. I ended up flying over a couple of them.

And I couldn't figure out how to get all "96" levels. I'm at 92 now, I think. I had to use an FAQ to get to the ghost house in Bowser's Cave, the one that leads to the castle back door. It's sad, because I 100% completed this thing numerous times on the SNES.

Saddler on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    I will never forget Tubular. Shit, I am shocked I remember the name.

Fuck that level to hell. The fact my game's battery died shortly after getting 96 goals is a testament to the punishment that is the Special World.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited September 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I will never forget Tubular. Shit, I am shocked I remember the name.

Fuck that level to hell. The fact my game's battery died shortly after getting 96 goals is a testament to the punishment that is the Special World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSXSWqUirGA

Opium on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The first time I beat Tubular the power went out. Luckily, I could do it the next time the power came back.

RockinX on
    edited September 2009
    With a name like "Tubular," you'd really expect something more along the lines of a pipe maze...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Protip: If you let the game sit on the Special World Map screen for like 10 minutes, it starts playing the original Super Mario Bros theme.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tubular was hard for a Mario game and no doubt near-impossible for a little kid but it really isn't that bad. It's barely even Nintendo Hard given how short it is. Lost Levels puts it to shame.

Zek on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited September 2009
    Protip: If you let the game sit on the Special World Map screen for like 10 minutes, it starts playing the original Super Mario Bros theme.

Protip: if you start up Super Mario Bros, it starts playing the original Super Mario Bros theme

Opium on
    edited September 2009
    Opium wrote: »

Protip: if you start up Super Mario Bros, it starts playing the original Super Mario Bros theme

Protip: If you press A, Mario jumps. :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    Tubular was hard for a Mario game and no doubt near-impossible for a little kid but it really isn't that bad. It's barely even Nintendo Hard given how short it is. Lost Levels puts it to shame.

I did okay with the Lost Levels on the GBC, but I think it was made easier for that version or something. I can't get anywhere on SMB2 (J) on the VC.

Saddler on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Protip: If you hold down A on the game over screen in SMB and press start on the start screen, you continue on the world you died on!
    everybody ever knows this

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited September 2009
    I remember us trying to trigger that and it seemed to only work 50% of the time.

Wasn't there also one that let you select the world?

FyreWulff on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't know about world selection (I just know all the warp zones)

but the trick is hold A from the moment that game over screen pops up all the way to pressing start (hold A while you press it as well)

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited September 2009
    World Select is B on the title screen after beating the game, if I remember correctly.

LBD_Nytetrayn on