As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Super Mario Bros Wii - Out Now. 15

• JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I had a lot of trouble with Tubular until I went and got a Blue Yoshi then just flew over/under everything in the level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZbvAHxUIU0

JONJONAUG on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited September 2009
    They should bring the Yoshi powers (flight, fire breath, etc.) back for NSMBW. Though I believe they are also in Galaxy 2.

Opium on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    They should bring the Yoshi powers (flight, fire breath, etc.) back for NSMBW. Though I believe they are also in Galaxy 2.

That's what I was thinking, that I really hope the classic shell color = power comes back for NSMBWii. Heck even SSBB payed Homage to the yoshi special powers.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would've enjoyed New Super Mario Bros more if the game didn't give out 1-ups like cheap candies on Halloween night. I beat the game with 99 lives. 99 lives.

I actually think I'll try a run-through of the game in which I purposefully avoid 1-ups.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I would've enjoyed New Super Mario Bros more if the game didn't give out 1-ups like cheap candies on Halloween night. I beat the game with 99 lives. 99 lives.

I actually think I'll try a run-through of the game in which I purposefully avoid 1-ups.

Every 2D Mario game doles out lives in the droves. How does that diminish your enjoyment of it?

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited September 2009
    JONJONAUG wrote: »
    I had a lot of trouble with Tubular until I went and got a Blue Yoshi then just flew over/under everything in the level.

*stupid bullshit video*

You son of a bitch.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited September 2009

Every 2D Mario game doles out lives in the droves. How does that diminish your enjoyment of it?

NSMB gave out far more lives in comparison to the other 2D Mario games. Hell, the mega mushroom not only lets you run over anything in your path, it also gives you extra lives!

It diminishes my enjoyment by making it feel like there was never any real challenge to beat the game.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I guess I just don't equate Lives with Challenge. Lives are pretty much just an arbitrary number. If I run out of lives, I'm just going to restart the game. So why even have them?

Also, I would contest that NSMB gives out more lives than other Mario games. Heck, look at Super mario bros 3. Thanks to the boxes at the end of the level, most competent people will probably have about 35-40 lives by the end of the 2nd or 3rd world.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited September 2009
    Plus in Super Mario Word, there is an underwater level with skull beetles and as long as you don't touch the ground, you can just float above them and stomp them in the water as much as you want and rack up as many lives as you want in that one spot.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i think the hardest part for me in SMW was finding the hidden exit on the bridge level ( the one where you have to dive under the first finish).

fuck i was so proud of myself when i finally figured it out, because it wasn't that obvious.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In my opinion, lifes are a outdated concept in games anyway. The challenge should be to 'win' the stage and not having to worry how many lifes you lost in the process.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

NSMB gave out far more lives in comparison to the other 2D Mario games. Hell, the mega mushroom not only lets you run over anything in your path, it also gives you extra lives!

It diminishes my enjoyment by making it feel like there was never any real challenge to beat the game.

I mean, I'd say that was less a problem with the game being too generous with 1-ups and more a problem with the stupid mega mushroom.

Sure, it felt badass to stomp your way through 1-1, but after that I avoided the damn thing as much as possible. I want to play through the levels, not use a magic ass-kicking item to skip the gameplay. SMB3 had the p-wing, yes, but it was an item that you had to activate yourself, and even then you had to consciously use it to fly above the level. Whenever I get a mega mushroom spawn, I suddenly find myself having to play a game of "dodge the power-up".

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not mention that the Mega Mushroom could let you break pipes you needed to use to get all those huge coins.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    edited September 2009
    Heh, I always avoided the Mega Mushroom too. It was a poorly thought out powerup. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I guess I just don't equate Lives with Challenge. Lives are pretty much just an arbitrary number. If I run out of lives, I'm just going to restart the game. So why even have them?

Same. I just like having them because they're sort of iconic in Mario.

But it's funny, people complained loudly about the inability to save after every stage in NSMB. If there weren't all these extra lives, wouldn't it make it that much worse?

And even if you have unlimited lives, that never guarantees that you'll be able to do something.
    Also, I would contest that NSMB gives out more lives than other Mario games. Heck, look at Super mario bros 3. Thanks to the boxes at the end of the level, most competent people will probably have about 35-40 lives by the end of the 2nd or 3rd world.

Playing the Advance version of Super Mario World, I think I'm somewhere between 600 and 700 lives. No tricks or anything. Just playing.
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    I mean, I'd say that was less a problem with the game being too generous with 1-ups and more a problem with the stupid mega mushroom.

Sure, it felt badass to stomp your way through 1-1, but after that I avoided the damn thing as much as possible. I want to play through the levels, not use a magic ass-kicking item to skip the gameplay. SMB3 had the p-wing, yes, but it was an item that you had to activate yourself, and even then you had to consciously use it to fly above the level. Whenever I get a mega mushroom spawn, I suddenly find myself having to play a game of "dodge the power-up".

I like to play around with the Mega Mushroom now and then. It can make for some funny boss battles, like against Monty Tank. And admit it, you like making Bowser Jr. go "squish" beneath your shoe. Pushing Bowser around at the end with it is kind of fun, too.

My favorite Mega Mushroom instance, however, was in World 4 I believe, that level with all the pipes blocking your path at the start. I happened to get a red block floating by on my first time there and it had a Mega Mushroom. Tore down the level. Quite fun, that was.

In fact, if anything, the Mega Mushroom needs to be more powerful. I want to completely wreck the landscape with it, rather than have my progress halted by a slightly too-small cave.

Still, I will admit that the Mega Mushroom can be just plain impractical for a lot of stages. It would be nice to have more stages made with it in mind, but I suppose it makes a nice ace-in-the-hole for some players who might be having enemy troubles.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009
    The NSMB series' style is kind of bland compared to other entries in the franchise. Compare it to this one for instance, much more creativity and weirdness going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRvpqP9WJjk

Opium on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009
    And speaking of NSMB's annoying 'waa waa' theme... This shit is amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmN2XUMp5tU

Opium on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Heh, Super Mario Land is pretty much destined to stick out. But I do love them so.

Some Mega Mushroom abuse:

And Siliconera has rooted out some more possible "demo play" info:
    Nintendo of Europe updated their New Super Mario Bros. page and spilled details on “demo play.” Contrary to what was said in a Miyamoto interview, demo play won’t beat a level for you.

Here’s an excerpt from NOE’s product page. Note the bolded section, emphasized by us.
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii is also the first Nintendo game to feature a dynamic help system, which allows you to access a mode showing how a level can be completed if you are stuck. The best thing about this mode is that you are free to jump into the action you’re watching on screen at any time!

So, instead of the game beating a level while you grab a snack, it shows you what moves to make and you can mimic what happens on the screen.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nintendo of Europe updated their New Super Mario Bros. page and spilled details on “demo play.” Contrary to what was said in a Miyamoto interview, demo play won’t beat a level for you.

Here’s an excerpt from NOE’s product page. Note the bolded section, emphasized by us.
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii is also the first Nintendo game to feature a dynamic help system, which allows you to access a mode showing how a level can be completed if you are stuck. The best thing about this mode is that you are free to jump into the action you’re watching on screen at any time!

So, instead of the game beating a level while you grab a snack, it shows you what moves to make and you can mimic what happens on the screen.

"free to jump into the action you’re watching on screen at any time!" still sounds like you can let it finish the level for you if you want. You just jump in right as Mario crosses the line.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Super Mario Land 2 is a masterpiece

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

"free to jump into the action you’re watching on screen at any time!" still sounds like you can let it finish the level for you if you want. You just jump in right as Mario crosses the line.

Maybe it won't actually count unless you do it from the beginning in the real mode. If so it seems pretty useless since it's not like Mario has any confusing puzzles or anything, it's never really a question of what you're supposed to do.

Zek on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009
    Davoid wrote: »
    Definitely. And so far ahead of its time.

Opium on
    edited October 2009
    Okay, I just finished a playthrough in which I tried to avoid 1-ups (no Mega Mushrooms, no 1-up Houses, no red coins, etc) and ended up with 9 lives. However, during much of this playthrough I was watching shows on Hulu at the same time, so I probably would have had more if I had been paying full attention.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited October 2009

Really? There are some neat concepts, but overall I prefer the first Super Mario Land.

Hexmage-PA on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like the second one better, but then again I only played 2 when I was young. I only got to play SML1 in my adulthood.

RockinX on
    edited October 2009
    The NSMB series' style is kind of bland compared to other entries in the franchise. Compare it to this one for instance, much more creativity and weirdness going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRvpqP9WJjk

I will always praise this game because it gave us Wario. :D

It was a blast to play to. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Honestly, my favourite of the 2D titles besides Yoshi's Island.

Xagarath on
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of Mario Land 2, has anyone ever managed to play the demos? I always saw the cheat on Club Nintendo magazine, but was never able to do it.

RockinX on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And speaking of NSMB's annoying 'waa waa' theme... This shit is amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmN2XUMp5tU

That beat that starts at 2:20 is insane. I need that to bump in my car right now.

earthwormadam on
    edited October 2009
    Wait, people disliked the "wa! wa!" thing in NSMB? How come? It was awesome.

RockinX on
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I also don't see any problem with having many lives, you lose just the same as you would with less lives, but you're not forced to repeat everything aaaall over again. I think that criticisms of lack of difficulty in Galaxy and NSMB are exagerated (not that I'm saying they're Ninja Gaiden) simply because they don't see a game over screen. Since Mario games are all about fun, without all those 1ups, they would lose a lot. Also and I believe this was already said, you're supposed to avoid the Mega Mushroom if you want to 100% the game, getting all the coins is tricky business. NSMB gets some undeserved criticism in my opinion, and I bet the same will happen in NSMBW.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    RockinX wrote: »
    Wait, people disliked the "wa! wa!" thing in NSMB? How come? It was awesome.
    I thought it was awesome too. I guess I don't care whether it goes "wa" or not, the theme itself is just a great distinctly Mario-sounding theme.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh, shit I totally forgot they were making Galaxy 2. I have been overly-negelcting my Wii. Nintendo, can you ever forgive me?

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zek wrote: »

Maybe it won't actually count unless you do it from the beginning in the real mode. If so it seems pretty useless since it's not like Mario has any confusing puzzles or anything, it's never really a question of what you're supposed to do.

You probably just watch a "ghost" like in a racing game.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Do the Super Mario Land's work on the DS? I remember playing those when I was younger and really enjoyed them; I may have to pick them up again.

HeraldS on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Do the Super Mario Land's work on the DS? I remember playing those when I was younger and really enjoyed them; I may have to pick them up again.

The DS doesn't play original Game Boy games. You're gonna need a Game Boy / Game Boy Pocket, GBA / GBA SP (but not Micro), SNES + Super Game Boy, or GameCube + Game Boy Player.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of Mario Land 2, has anyone ever managed to play the demos? I always saw the cheat on Club Nintendo magazine, but was never able to do it.

Just wanted some kind of answer to this.

RockinX on
    edited October 2009

Just wanted some kind of answer to this.

"Super Mario Land 2 Play the Demos
    At the title screen you can enter any of the following codes to play the demos. When a demo begins you will be able to control Mario.

Demo Code
    1 Up + Select
    2 Up + A + Select
    3 Up + B + Select
    4 Up + A + B + Select
    Note: None of these codes work for the million version seller."

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited October 2009
    The problem is that I have the regular version and it never seems to work. Do I keep the buttons pressed or do I press it once?

RockinX on
    edited October 2009
    I believe you press them at once

Davoid on
    rqv6.png