As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Super Mario Bros Wii - Out Now. 15

• RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There is a difference between "once" and "at once", though. I'll test in a few minutes. I'm busy with Leaf Green ATM.

RockinX on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, they really need a Mario Land 2 remake, or at least a DSiWare release.

It's funny to think that other than the Virtual Boy's handful of titles, Game Boy and Game Boy Color games are the only ones that Nintendo offers no legal means of playing on current hardware.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Because Square is too busy re-releasing them

FyreWulff on
    edited October 2009
    Huh?

I can't think of a single GB/GBC game that SE has re-released, other than FF Adventure -> Sword of Mana, and that was years ago.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    they just re-released Saga 2 (FF Legend 2) a couple weeks ago

SaraLuna on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There are a lot of really great Game Boy games that could stand a re-release. I just finished playing Donkey Kong '94. Fantastic game, and it still holds up marvelously. Why aren't they re-releasing this stuff?

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Opium wrote: »
    The NSMB series' style is kind of bland compared to other entries in the franchise. Compare it to this one for instance, much more creativity and weirdness going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRvpqP9WJjk

I will always praise this game because it gave us Wario. :D

It was a blast to play to. :P

I was holding out for a DSi or Wii port of this, but the original cartridge is actually pretty cheap. If only I can find my GBA SP.

Saddler on
    edited October 2009
    There are a lot of really great Game Boy games that could stand a re-release. I just finished playing Donkey Kong '94. Fantastic game, and it still holds up marvelously. Why aren't they re-releasing this stuff?

For one, there were three sequels for DK: the Mario Vs DK series.They probably think they hold up better than the old GB one but it's not true.

Second, they haven't announced any classic GB re-releases for the DSi yet.

RockinX on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wait there have been three Mario vs. DK games? I thought there were only two.

Speed Racer on
    edited October 2009
    Isn't there one for DSiWare?

RockinX on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    1. the guy "playing" that 6 golden coins speedrun is a cheating motherfuck and should be shot for showboating in the star level

2. the mario vs dk games are a mockery of the greatness that is dk '94

SaraLuna on
    edited October 2009
    1. the guy "playing" that 6 golden coins speedrun is a cheating motherfuck and should be shot for showboating in the star level

1. Yeah, it's a tool-assisted speed run, but everything done there is possible to do without cheating. The goal is to do it the fastest way possible with no mistakes whatsoever, as doing everything without making a single mistake is pretty much near impossible.

2. TRUTH.

RockinX on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

'March of the Minis' maybe, but M Vs DK is an exquisite jewel of distilled platform gaming.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I feel like mario games have sort of cornered themselves in what constitutes a "mario game"

Whereas not long ago they were a beacon of creativity and general weirdness

feel more like controlled, prescribed staple "weirdness" now

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, what are these SML2 "demo levels" of which you speak? I have never heard of them before.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    March of the Mini's is fun, but very frustrating later on.

Mario vs Donkey Kong 94 is pure awesome though, and in fact, I really need to find a copy of it for me to play again.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009

It says TAS right in the title, brainiac.

Opium on
    edited October 2009
    Kaboom.
    Any hesitation about revealing the mode ended this morning when, in a hotel demo suite in New York, Kotaku was shown how the Super Guide works. Nintendo is using this new help option to offer an unprecedented amount of in-game assistance, but it will only be available to players using the game's single-player mode who have failed at a level eight times. Nintendo's intent is to offer Super Guide as a helper for its less skilled customers and to allow its designers to make some of the game's levels devilishly difficult.

New Super Mario Bros. gives a starting player of the game five lives. So, to activate the Super Guide option this morning, a Nintendo representative had to sacrifice her Mario character five times, then use a Continue option to replenish her lives before losing the rest needed to enable the help. Once she did that, a floating green box appeared at the start of the level she had repeatedly failed at. Hitting it with Mario — the only available playable character in single-player — will restart the level in Super Guide mode. Mario is replaced with a computer-controlled Luigi, who then proceeds through the level on his own.

The recorded Luigi playthroughs are run in-engine, not as pre-recorded video. They are, essentially, the equivalent of "ghost modes" commonly available in racing games, though the player can only watch Luigi do his thing, not play alongside him with Mario.

The Nintendo rep showed Kotaku two Luigi super-guide runs. She explained that these would be simple zips through the game's levels and would not reveal shortcuts and secrets. The runs were definitely not the perfect playthroughs that a gamer might find if they searched YouTube for an expertly played Mario Bros. speed run. A more faulty human hand was evident. In fact, in this pre-release version of the game, the first Luigi run that I was shown ended prematurely when Super Guide Luigi died halfway through the level. That's not supposed to happen in the final build, Kotaku was told. In the second Luigi run, the Mario brother got through the level on his own without any trouble.

What separates Super Guide from traditional video-based playthroughs of game levels is that the player can assume control during the Luigi run. At any moment, the player can press a button and cancel the computer control of Luigi. An indicator showing that that game is in Super Guide mode stays on screen, and the player assumes control of Luigi, rather than switching to Mario. But the breakthrough in the feature is that the player is not starting the level from the beginning. They are taking control in the midst of the Super Guide run. Thanks to this, players who repeatedly struggle with a tough part of a level in New Super Mario Bros. Wii will be able to let Super Guide Luigi get past that tough part for them. Even though a player takes over as Luigi using this help system, the completion of the level counts and they can play deeper into the game.

The levels of New Super Mario Bros. Wii I saw today seemed harder than those of the last side-scrolling Mario platformer, New Super Mario Bros. on the DS. Super Guide does appear to have given Nintendo license to make the new game tougher and may provide the relief some players need to get to the end of the latest Mario world-hopping adventure.

Luigi finally gets to assert himself.

And it seems perfectly reasonable to me. If you're good enough, you'll never even get the opportunity to experience the Super Guide.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    they just re-released Saga 2 (FF Legend 2) a couple weeks ago

In America? Already?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited October 2009
    It said the Super Guide Luigi died. One wonders if it's using a AI like those programs that could play Mario by themselves that were making the rounds a while back.

I think it's perfectly reasonable, especially since you can't just turn it on at any time.

Cameron_Talley on
    edited October 2009
    I'm fully supportive of this mode for those that have difficulties in the game if it means they up the challenge for us veterans.

Seems like a good way to balance the two types of players without either or getting too frustrated.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009
    I was ambivalent towards it at first but now with that explanation it does feel kind of cheap and dirty. I expect the same kind of backlash that Prince of Persia 08 got.

Opium on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    I was ambivalent towards it at first but now with that explanation it does feel kind of cheap and dirty. I expect the same kind of backlash that Prince of Persia 08 got.

Why? You have to die in one level eight times in order to unlock it. What type of person who cares enough about games to whine about them facelessly on the Internet ever died more than eight times in a level in the DS New SMB?

I think it's a great idea, and always has been. It's not like this is some kind of Ikaruga auto-play option; it's freaking Mario.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If Super Guide gives them the confidence to up the challenge difficulty then bring on Super Guide!

It's the ultimate 'take it or leave it' function which nobody can complain at as nobody ever has to use it if they don't want to. You know, unless they have zero self control. And even then they can still go back and do it properly at a later date.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I can't see this as a bad thing at all. I can think of tons of games on the NES where I wish this feature was available as a kid, so I could have escaped the torment of my older brother.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • NeoElectronautNeoElectronaut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    The Guide is a great idea. I've got a number of friends that like to play videogames that will often times get stuck in an area and will never be able to complete the game.

NeoElectronaut on
    faberbanner.gif
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I definitely approve of handicap features if they allow Nintendo to balance the game for skilled players. NSMB was pitifully easy.

Zek on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If these means some super tough platforming, then bring it on. This sounds great. Here's hoping for some kick-ass "Lost Levels" challenge levels.

As an aside, When Super Mario Bros 3 Advance came out years ago, there was some e-reader cards for some super tough extra levels. Anyone here play those? I had the game, and would have bought an e-reader if I ever found the cards, but I never did see them in stores.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I dunno, put me in the camp that doesn't really understand this helper mode. You have to have died 8 times, which involves an initial 5 life stock and a continue? I can't help but think that the person who is unskilled enough to benefit from this system will have left the game in frustration before that point.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I dunno, put me in the camp that doesn't really understand this helper mode. You have to have died 8 times, which involves an initial 5 life stock and a continue? I can't help but think that the person who is unskilled enough to benefit from this system will have left the game in frustration before that point.

8 fuck ups? nah, that's not that much. Also, note that just because you start out with 5 lives, doesn't mean you can't get more than 5 lives to fuck up with.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited October 2009
    Kor wrote: »

8 fuck ups? nah, that's not that much. Also, note that just because you start out with 5 lives, doesn't mean you can't get more than 5 lives to fuck up with.

8 isn't that bad. And I'm guessing it tracks the number of deaths per level. So if you die three times, put the game away for a week, then try again and die 5 more times, it will still unlock the Super Guide.

Cameron_Talley on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "Unlock" isn't the same thing as "automatically use".
    It's like unlocking easy mode on the DMC games.
    I'm still all in favour of this whole business.

Xagarath on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Ugh.
    goddamnneckbeards.jpg

Seriously?

Whatever happened to you know, just playing the games?

Oh shit, other people are having fun. And they're not gamers. This means that I can't have fun because they get to experience the game too! Fuck them if they can't reach the most awesome level in 8-2, if they can't get past the trouble spot in 5-3!

FyreWulff on
    edited October 2009
    Three words: Koopa Kids Return! :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited October 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Ugh.
    goddamnneckbeards.jpg

Seriously?

Whatever happened to you know, just playing the games?

Oh shit, other people are having fun. And they're not gamers. This means that I can't have fun because they get to experience the game too! Fuck them if they can't reach the most awesome level in 8-2, if they can't get past the trouble spot in 5-3!

Agreed. I wanted to respond, but couldn't be bothered with the whole login thing. I should take a few minutes to register there sometime.

Anyway, that person above your comment seemed to entirely miss the part about the Super Guide only playing a vanilla run of the level, with no shortcuts or secrets. Ergo, there IS stuff for a skilled player to find and see that others can't. They're just too blinded by their own tears to see it.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just curious, did anyone bitch when 'Splosion Man included "Way of the Coward?" It lets you skip a level if you want to if you die on it a lot, which is a lot like this without the guide.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited October 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Just curious, did anyone bitch when 'Splosion Man included "Way of the Coward?" It lets you skip a level if you want to if you die on it a lot, just like this game.

I really liked the way Toki Tori did it. You get a "skip a level for free" card that you can use whenever you want. The thing is, it then stays on that level. If you want to skip a different level, you've gotta go back and beat the level you skipped.

This is the best of all worlds, though, because it actually shows you how to beat a level instead of just whisking you along.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Actually, you just reminded me of the Skip Cloud item from SMB3, which, if you think about it, is actually worse than the guide, since if you skipped a level, you had to beat the next level your first try, or you had to go back and do both of them.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited October 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Just curious, did anyone bitch when 'Splosion Man included "Way of the Coward?" It lets you skip a level if you want to if you die on it a lot, which is a lot like this without the guide.

Noone would complain if they made Mario wear a tutu though. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited October 2009
    http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=99399

New info!
    - 8 worlds
    - expect level maps with branching paths, much like NSMB on DS
    - mushroom huts for power-ups
    - mid-map fortress
    - world-ending castle
    - split-second pause for all characters when one dies has now been removed
    - plot: Mario is saving Peach, who has been kidnapped by Bowser
    - eat hammer bros. hammers with Yoshi
    - rafts can sink if they have too many people on it, which is indicated by a number
    - roller coaster level with a coaster made of bones
    - start with 5 lives
    - level will end if all 4 players die at the same time, even if other players have lives left
    - tossing fire or ice attacks at your co-op friends doesn't hurt them
    - tossing a barrel at co-op friends hurts them
    - Bowser, Bowser Jr. and the Koopa Kids are all enemies
    - tons of hidden paths and coins
    - there are a few special Toad-rescuing missions to save a toad. These missions will take place in already-cleared levels
    - competitive multiplayer modes: Free For All and Coin Battle
    - Free For All: see who can get the high score
    - Coin Battle: collect the most coins
    - multiplayer levels include stages from the co-op mode, as well as new levels
    - one Coin Battle stage is a ghost house
    - boos return
    - another Coin Battle stage is based on 1-2 of Super Mario Bros.

Bowser Jr and Koopa kids are in this...I wonder if they'll do any funny scene showing Bowser Jr confused by all of his siblings suddenly showing up after all these years. :lol:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!