As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Super Mario Bros Wii - Out Now. 15

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=99399

New info!
    - 8 worlds
    - expect level maps with branching paths, much like NSMB on DS
    - mushroom huts for power-ups
    - mid-map fortress
    - world-ending castle
    - split-second pause for all characters when one dies has now been removed
    - plot: Mario is saving Peach, who has been kidnapped by Bowser
    - eat hammer bros. hammers with Yoshi
    - rafts can sink if they have too many people on it, which is indicated by a number
    - roller coaster level with a coaster made of bones
    - start with 5 lives
    - level will end if all 4 players die at the same time, even if other players have lives left
    - tossing fire or ice attacks at your co-op friends doesn't hurt them
    - tossing a barrel at co-op friends hurts them
    - Bowser, Bowser Jr. and the Koopa Kids are all enemies
    - tons of hidden paths and coins
    - there are a few special Toad-rescuing missions to save a toad. These missions will take place in already-cleared levels
    - competitive multiplayer modes: Free For All and Coin Battle
    - Free For All: see who can get the high score
    - Coin Battle: collect the most coins
    - multiplayer levels include stages from the co-op mode, as well as new levels
    - one Coin Battle stage is a ghost house
    - boos return
    - another Coin Battle stage is based on 1-2 of Super Mario Bros.

Bowser Jr and Koopa kids are in this...I wonder if they'll do any funny scene showing Bowser Jr confused by all of his siblings suddenly showing up after all these years. :lol:

Spoilers!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Just curious, did anyone bitch when 'Splosion Man included "Way of the Coward?" It lets you skip a level if you want to if you die on it a lot, which is a lot like this without the guide.

I forgot about this one. To be honest though, 'Splosion Man was far better suited for it. Yeah you died, but you had infinite lives, but the checkpoint system and respawn time was generous enough that you were right back up within seconds. It had that whole lemming system going on where you could have slammed against the same wall 10 or more times in a very short time. I don't know if SMB will have that same kind of dynamic going on. You're going to have to sit through the death animation and music, and then potentially have to replay up to half the level again to get where you died to try again. It'll be a lot slower going, especially by death #6 or so.

Still though, I'm not really ragging on the system. It seems cool enough, and a whole hell of a lot of the oddities about it are dependant on how the game actually plays out, of which we know like nothing. I still find it somewhat confusing, but I'm not gonna nerdrage like those freaks are doing. :)

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=99399

New info!
    - 8 worlds
    - expect level maps with branching paths, much like NSMB on DS
    - mushroom huts for power-ups
    - mid-map fortress
    - world-ending castle
    - split-second pause for all characters when one dies has now been removed
    - plot: Mario is saving Peach, who has been kidnapped by Bowser
    - eat hammer bros. hammers with Yoshi
    - rafts can sink if they have too many people on it, which is indicated by a number
    - roller coaster level with a coaster made of bones
    - start with 5 lives
    - level will end if all 4 players die at the same time, even if other players have lives left
    - tossing fire or ice attacks at your co-op friends doesn't hurt them
    - tossing a barrel at co-op friends hurts them
    - Bowser, Bowser Jr. and the Koopa Kids are all enemies
    - tons of hidden paths and coins
    - there are a few special Toad-rescuing missions to save a toad. These missions will take place in already-cleared levels
    - competitive multiplayer modes: Free For All and Coin Battle
    - Free For All: see who can get the high score
    - Coin Battle: collect the most coins
    - multiplayer levels include stages from the co-op mode, as well as new levels
    - one Coin Battle stage is a ghost house
    - boos return
    - another Coin Battle stage is based on 1-2 of Super Mario Bros.

Bowser Jr and Koopa kids are in this...I wonder if they'll do any funny scene showing Bowser Jr confused by all of his siblings suddenly showing up after all these years. :lol:

Spoilers!

and the worst thing is you can not unread it

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just curious, did anyone bitch when 'Splosion Man included "Way of the Coward?" It lets you skip a level if you want to if you die on it a lot, which is a lot like this without the guide.

I forgot about this one. To be honest though, 'Splosion Man was far better suited for it. Yeah you died, but you had infinite lives, but the checkpoint system and respawn time was generous enough that you were right back up within seconds. It had that whole lemming system going on where you could have slammed against the same wall 10 or more times in a very short time. I don't know if SMB will have that same kind of dynamic going on. You're going to have to sit through the death animation and music, and then potentially have to replay up to half the level again to get where you died to try again. It'll be a lot slower going, especially by death #6 or so.

Still though, I'm not really ragging on the system. It seems cool enough, and a whole hell of a lot of the oddities about it are dependant on how the game actually plays out, of which we know like nothing. I still find it somewhat confusing, but I'm not gonna nerdrage like those freaks are doing. :)

confusing?

You die a lot, an option comes up.

You choose that option, a cpu luigi appears on screen and starts running through the level in lieu of mario. at any time you can press a button to become that luigi. So let's give a classic example: the triangle jump in world eight of lost levels. I've lost 80+ lives there. In NSMB wii, after I lost eight the super guide option comes up. I say yes, luigi shows up, does the infamous jump, I hit the button and can do the rest of the level.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If it really means that they are going to go balls-to-the-wall on difficulty I am totally in favor of the Super Guide.

If it doesn't, then it's still a good idea but I don't really care.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    re: Super Guide:

Freespace Fucking 2 had a "skip this level" option when you died too many times. Anyone want to accuse FS2 of being too easy or non-hardcore? :P

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Ugh.
    goddamnneckbeards.jpg

Seriously?

Whatever happened to you know, just playing the games?

Oh shit, other people are having fun. And they're not gamers. This means that I can't have fun because they get to experience the game too! Fuck them if they can't reach the most awesome level in 8-2, if they can't get past the trouble spot in 5-3!

Wow. That guy is a hair's width away from suggesting that less experienced gamers should be forced to drink from separate fountains too. I fucking hate elitist gamers.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ugh.
    goddamnneckbeards.jpg

Seriously?

Oh shit, other people are having fun. And they're not gamers. This means that I can't have fun because they get to experience the game too! Fuck them if they can't reach the most awesome level in 8-2, if they can't get past the trouble spot in 5-3!

Wow. That guy is a hair's width away from suggesting that less experienced gamers should be forced to drink from separate fountains too. I fucking hate elitist gamers.

Y'know what would be a great karma slap for this guy? A level so hard that he had to use Super Guide.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ugh.
    goddamnneckbeards.jpg

Seriously?

Y'know what would be a great karma slap for this guy? A level so hard that he had to use Super Guide.

Friend, I like the way you think. Indeed I do.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I keep thinking it says Super Glide and Mario has this awesome new cape sort of powerup.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

confusing?

You die a lot, an option comes up.

You choose that option, a cpu luigi appears on screen and starts running through the level in lieu of mario. at any time you can press a button to become that luigi. So let's give a classic example: the triangle jump in world eight of lost levels. I've lost 80+ lives there. In NSMB wii, after I lost eight the super guide option comes up. I say yes, luigi shows up, does the infamous jump, I hit the button and can do the rest of the level.

"Confusing" in the "I don't know who exactly this is for because I forsee the people who would really benefit from it will leave in frustration before the option kicks in" sense.

But like I said, it also depends how the game is going to be. Factors like how generous they are with the green 'shrooms, how prolific is the checkpoint system, how fast is it to get back to the point of death, does it save the # of deaths between playthroughs, and how balls-to-the-wall hard are they making this puppy. Stuff like that.

Basically right now I'm picturing the bare minimum based on the info: The DS NSMB, with a system that requires me to die 5 times, continue, then die 3 more times before the option pops up. And it looks a bit weird going by that.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just had an awesome idea. What if the Koopa Kids in this game were adults? I'd love fighting Bowser-sized versions of them.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If it really means that they are going to go balls-to-the-wall on difficulty I am totally in favor of the Super Guide.

I mean, at this point I don't even need Lost Levels hard. I'd be satisfied with something up to par with SMB3 or SMW after the breeze that was NSMB.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "Confusing" in the "I don't know who exactly this is for because I forsee the people who would really benefit from it will leave in frustration before the option kicks in" sense.
    You don't leave in frustration when you know it's coming. I'm sure they'll make it obvious that it exists with a tip window or something.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You don't leave in frustration when you know it's coming. I'm sure they'll make it obvious that it exists with a tip window or something.

Yeah, Nintendo usually goes out of their way to point out each and every feature in their games.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    I'd be satisfied with something up to par with SMB3 or SMW after the breeze that was NSMB.

One of my housemates, a man that still owns and occasionally plays his old SNES, actually found NSMB to be frustratingly hard. Personally I found it retard-easy, but I'm not getting my hopes up that the Super Guide portends an increase in difficulty. I mean, if someone who knows video games tolerably well can have trouble with easy shit, it stands to reason that, if the goal is to broaden the mario playerbase even further, we won't be seeing stuff much more demanding than said easy shit.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    NeoElectronautNeoElectronaut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Falstaff wrote: »
    I'd be satisfied with something up to par with SMB3 or SMW after the breeze that was NSMB.

One of my housemates, a man that still owns and occasionally plays his old SNES, actually found NSMB to be frustratingly hard. Personally I found it retard-easy, but I'm not getting my hopes up that the Super Guide portends an increase in difficulty. I mean, if someone who knows video games tolerably well can have trouble with easy shit, it stands to reason that, if the goal is to broaden the mario playerbase even further, we won't be seeing stuff much more demanding than said easy shit.

It wasn't hard to complete, but 3 years later I still haven't found all those gold coins.

Primarily because I refuse to use a guide.

NeoElectronaut on
    faberbanner.gif
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I got all the Gold coins, and every damn thing in the DS version, and I still turn it on to play from time to time. This New one looks vastly improved in terms of features. The only thing I wish for that will never happen is the return of some classic power ups like the Cape or Tanooki suit, and for the graphics to be sprites. Can't win them all, but the return of the Koopa Kids, Ghost Houses and so much more fill me with joy.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Falstaff wrote: »

It wasn't hard to complete, but 3 years later I still haven't found all those gold coins.

Primarily because I refuse to use a guide.

Man, I got 100% of the coins in like five days.

RockinX on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ugh.
    goddamnneckbeards.jpg

Seriously?

Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I just had an awesome idea. What if the Koopa Kids in this game were adults? I'd love fighting Bowser-sized versions of them.

Unless something has changed, they aren't. They're still kinda big, though.

As for New SMB being too easy, I find SMB, SMB2, SMB3, and SMW to all be pretty easy as well. Yoshi's Island is a bit trickier if you're trying to do special stages and 100% every level; otherwise, not so hard.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009
    I would've enjoyed New Super Mario Bros more if the game didn't give out 1-ups like cheap candies on Halloween night. I beat the game with 99 lives. 99 lives.

I actually think I'll try a run-through of the game in which I purposefully avoid 1-ups.

Every 2D Mario game doles out lives in the droves. How does that diminish your enjoyment of it?

NSMB gave out far more lives in comparison to the other 2D Mario games. Hell, the mega mushroom not only lets you run over anything in your path, it also gives you extra lives!

It diminishes my enjoyment by making it feel like there was never any real challenge to beat the game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X3eZ7EvBmg&NR=1

Opium on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    I would've enjoyed New Super Mario Bros more if the game didn't give out 1-ups like cheap candies on Halloween night. I beat the game with 99 lives. 99 lives.

I actually think I'll try a run-through of the game in which I purposefully avoid 1-ups.

Every 2D Mario game doles out lives in the droves. How does that diminish your enjoyment of it?

NSMB gave out far more lives in comparison to the other 2D Mario games. Hell, the mega mushroom not only lets you run over anything in your path, it also gives you extra lives!

It diminishes my enjoyment by making it feel like there was never any real challenge to beat the game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X3eZ7EvBmg&NR=1

To be fair, tricks like that exist in every Mario game.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, that glitch is in the first SMB game. I wouldn't be suprised if they actually re-implemented that as a homage, because even Nintendo Power had a guide on how to do it at one point.

edit: example Mario 3's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VsLVefGEIs

edit: here's the original SMB1 version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUx66ZEDjnQ

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ugh.
    goddamnneckbeards.jpg

Seriously?

As for New SMB being too easy, I find SMB, SMB2, SMB3, and SMW to all be pretty easy as well. Yoshi's Island is a bit trickier if you're trying to do special stages and 100% every level; otherwise, not so hard.

A bit trickier? 100%ing every level including the hidden stages is one of the hardest damn things I've ever done in gaming.

Fuck you Poochy.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ugh.
    goddamnneckbeards.jpg

Seriously?

A bit trickier? 100%ing every level including the hidden stages is one of the hardest damn things I've ever done in gaming.

Fuck you Poochy.

Man Poochy ain't shit. It's those fuckin' monkeys that will drive you insane.

With their little 1 pixel seeds firing at you on a super-detailed background so that you can't see them until they hit you oh god I'm PTSDing.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Man Poochy ain't stupid.

And now no one can make this joke.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Meh, difficulty is overrated, and often many of those old games aren't as hard as remembered. Super Mario World was incredibly easy outside of the Special World (inevitably, when asked about difficulty in SMW everyone responds "Tubular," which says a lot about the rest of the game). Mario 3 was harder, but even it didn't really get into ass-kicking mode until world 7. NSMB? Depending on how you define "hard," NSMB is either really easy or reasonably challenging. If "hard" means seeing a game over screen then it's not that difficult a game at all. You can easily earn infinite lives at a number of locations in the game, so if you keep an eye on things you can easily keep your stock well above 60. However, all the lives in the world won't get you through a level in one piece. You still have to make the jumps one after another without missing a ledge or getting hit too many times, and I'd say NSMB is at the harder end of the Mario spectrum. It never gets as rough as worlds 7 and 8 in SMB3, much less Yoshi's Island's extra levels, but it's substantially tougher than Super Mario World outside of the Special World.

The only Mario games where I've ever found the game over screen to be a serious threat are the original and Lost Levels.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I mean, at this point I don't even need Lost Levels hard. I'd be satisfied with something up to par with SMB3 or SMW after the breeze that was NSMB.
    Your nostalgia glasses are pretty thick. I played SMW to 100% completion for the first time ever a couple of years ago, and it was almost insultingly easy. NSMB was in the same ballpark, but without as many abusable power-ups (which I thought was a plus).

I don't think I've played a Super Mario game that I'd consider to be excessively difficult, at least as far as the threat of an actual Game Over is concerned. Lost Levels is even way overblown by most, as it hands out 1-ups like candy even without the common infinite 1-up trick (which can be performed at the very start of the game).

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Just because you don't get a lot of game overs doesn't mean that LL isn't balls hard.

I mean, you end up using up most of those lives.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Just because you don't get a lot of game overs doesn't mean that LL isn't balls hard.

I mean, you end up using up most of those lives.
    It's a tough game for sure, but "overblown" is the operative word in that post. Tough for a Mario game, probably not so much for your average NES game.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm pretty sure you're exaggerating in the other direction.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Your nostalgia glasses are pretty thick. I played SMW to 100% completion for the first time ever a couple of years ago, and it was almost insultingly easy. NSMB was in the same ballpark, but without as many abusable power-ups (which I thought was a plus).

I don't think I've played a Super Mario game that I'd consider to be excessively difficult, at least as far as the threat of an actual Game Over is concerned. Lost Levels is even way overblown by most, as it hands out 1-ups like candy even without the common infinite 1-up trick (which can be performed at the very start of the game).

I 100%ed SMW for the first time a few months back. I didn't own a SNES until less than 10 years ago. I can be accused of many things, but having coke-bottle nostalgia glasses is not one of them.

I found SMW to be much harder than NSMB as a main game experience (i.e. defeat the world 8 castle). I can see a fair argument that the distance from basic completion to 100% is roughly the same difficulty in both games, but I personally found SMW's postgame to be much more fun (playing with awesome colored Yoshi's in the Star World vs. hunting down those damn coins).

And as for Lost Levels: how many 1-ups you have doesn't really have any correlation with how easy or difficult the game is, unless you're counting 'difficulty' as being forced to replay the same levels over and over again.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    True enough. I still think you're crazy if you thought any platforming in SMW was remotely difficult outside of the extra stages, though.

I just get annoyed of this song and dance. Ball-busting difficulty isn't something you typically get or should expect from a Mario game, and I got tired of seeing people knocking NSMB for being too easy when I think they just failed to realize that it was easy only because they had already cut their teeth on Mario platformers a decade or two ago. I expect this game to get similar treatment.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Personally, I would just like something from the NES games to return. The Second Quest. The First Mario did it, as did the first Zelda.

Play through the game once normally, and have a fun/challenging time. Beat the game and get the option to play through a much tougher version of the game that puts the proverbial balls to the wall.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    True enough. I still think you're crazy if you thought any platforming in SMW was remotely difficult outside of the extra stages, though.

I just get annoyed of this song and dance. Ball-busting difficulty isn't something you typically get or should expect from a Mario game, and I got tired of seeing people knocking NSMB for being too easy when I think they just failed to realize that it was easy only because they had already cut their teeth on Mario platformers a decade or two ago. I expect this game to get similar treatment.

I agree about SMW. It's not especially hard. I don't even find the special stages that bad.

I don't need ball-busting difficulty to have fun with a Mario game. All I want is a satisfying difficulty. SMW had a satisfying difficulty. SMB3 had a satisfying difficulty. I didn't think that NSMB did.

I mean I was so unimpressed with the difficulty that I played through it again with a mini-mushroom active the entire time.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think I've ever beaten a Mario game, nor have I ever beaten a Zelda game.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    Personally, I would just like something from the NES games to return. The Second Quest. The First Mario did it, as did the first Zelda.

Play through the game once normally, and have a fun/challenging time. Beat the game and get the option to play through a much tougher version of the game that puts the proverbial balls to the wall.

This would be fantastic. With modern technology, they could even make the harder mode more meaningfully different than just speeding up the enemies, or putting in a bunch of bats or something. I'm almost 90% sure it won't happen, though. Pretty much every developer I can think of has moved on to other ways to give you an extended challenge, and not looked back.

Saddler on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    On a relevant note, MTV's Multiplayer blog: New SMB Wii is as hard as Contra

I think the fact that the Nintendo reps dropped them right into the end of the game was a direct result of people thinking that the game will be a pushover. And it most likely won't be insanely difficult to just plain ol' finish, but I'm sure some of the worlds will be challenging. You also have to account for the fact that some of us have been playing platformers for 25+ years, so outside of stupid I Wanna Be the Guy or Asshole Mario bullshit, these kinds of games won't really be challenging for extended periods of time.

Yes, this.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Saddler wrote: »
    Kor wrote: »

This would be fantastic. With modern technology, they could even make the harder mode more meaningfully different than just speeding up the enemies, or putting in a bunch of bats or something. I'm almost 90% sure it won't happen, though. Pretty much every developer I can think of has moved on to other ways to give you an extended challenge, and not looked back.
    Mario Galaxy had this, sort of

Luigi mode was a bit more difficult then the normal Mario mode, even if you get an overabundance of lives.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    MTV wrote:
    And that's where the "Super Guide" comes in. Again, go ahead and scoff. I did. But with such a ramped up difficulty, it makes a lot of sense to let the computer handle the tricky bits for folks. After all, nothing makes you put down a game faster than dying 10 times on the same section. It seems like Nintendo has found a way around that issue.

It's because of the Super Guide that the developers were able to crank up the difficulty, knowing that they no longer needed to make the game for the lowest-skilled player. So you're left with what's arguably the most hardcore Mario game you've ever played. Starting to scoff a little less now, aren't you?
    This is not what the internet told me would happen.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg