As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Super Mario Bros Wii - Out Now. 15

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, this was on Gameswipe and a great example of why people who hate super guide are god damn morons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG3aHvPG6H8

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't know why people gotta bitch about something that's entirely optional.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    because their hardcore gamer lifestyle is under attack because it's a lifestyle, man

that video is great

I mean Fable 2?

It's impossible to game over. If you lose all your life, you just fall over, lose a shitton of EXP, and then get back up.

Apparently there wasn't as big a hullaboo about that though, because it was in HD.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hitting it with Mario — the only available playable character in single-player

BOOOOO.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Saddler wrote: »
    Kor wrote: »
    Personally, I would just like something from the NES games to return. The Second Quest. The First Mario did it, as did the first Zelda.

Play through the game once normally, and have a fun/challenging time. Beat the game and get the option to play through a much tougher version of the game that puts the proverbial balls to the wall.

This would be fantastic. With modern technology, they could even make the harder mode more meaningfully different than just speeding up the enemies, or putting in a bunch of bats or something. I'm almost 90% sure it won't happen, though. Pretty much every developer I can think of has moved on to other ways to give you an extended challenge, and not looked back.
    Mario Galaxy had this, sort of

Luigi mode was a bit more difficult then the normal Mario mode, even if you get an overabundance of lives.

Why am I being lemon'd here? :(

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why am I being lemon'd here? :(
    He limed you so hard there was a Doppler effect.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hitting it with Mario — the only available playable character in single-player

BOOOOO.

...when it was demoed where they certainly weren't going to spoil all the game's secrets.

But that just comes back to the above video, doesn't it? You buy the game wanting to play Luigi, but you're forced to do something you don't want to do before you get to that point.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Saddler wrote: »
    Personally, I would just like something from the NES games to return. The Second Quest. The First Mario did it, as did the first Zelda.

Play through the game once normally, and have a fun/challenging time. Beat the game and get the option to play through a much tougher version of the game that puts the proverbial balls to the wall.

This would be fantastic. With modern technology, they could even make the harder mode more meaningfully different than just speeding up the enemies, or putting in a bunch of bats or something. I'm almost 90% sure it won't happen, though. Pretty much every developer I can think of has moved on to other ways to give you an extended challenge, and not looked back.
    Mario Galaxy had this, sort of

Luigi mode was a bit more difficult then the normal Mario mode, even if you get an overabundance of lives.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, House of the Dead Overkill did exactly this.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    True enough. I still think you're crazy if you thought any platforming in SMW was remotely difficult outside of the extra stages, though.

I just get annoyed of this song and dance. Ball-busting difficulty isn't something you typically get or should expect from a Mario game, and I got tired of seeing people knocking NSMB for being too easy when I think they just failed to realize that it was easy only because they had already cut their teeth on Mario platformers a decade or two ago. I expect this game to get similar treatment.

We'd need a test subject who is open to the idea of 2D platforming with no prior experience in the field to test it.

I'd be willing to guess that based on my experience NSMB is easier than

SMB
    SMB 2 and of course Lost Levels
    SMB 3
    SMW

It's just not a very hard game. I remember dying a few times and continuing once during my first playthrough of NSMB, which is about as well as I do playing through SMB 1 or 2 or lost levels these days (I've played through SMBW and 3 enough that I barely ever die, let alone continue in games where getting 50+ lives is child's play.)

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    True enough. I still think you're crazy if you thought any platforming in SMW was remotely difficult outside of the extra stages, though.

I just get annoyed of this song and dance. Ball-busting difficulty isn't something you typically get or should expect from a Mario game, and I got tired of seeing people knocking NSMB for being too easy when I think they just failed to realize that it was easy only because they had already cut their teeth on Mario platformers a decade or two ago. I expect this game to get similar treatment.

We'd need a test subject who is open to the idea of 2D platforming with no prior experience in the field to test it.

I'd be willing to guess that based on my experience NSMB is easier than

SMB
    SMB 2 and of course Lost Levels
    SMB 3
    SMW

It's just not a very hard game. I remember dying a few times and continuing once during my first playthrough of NSMB, which is about as well as I do playing through SMB 1 or 2 or lost levels these days (I've played through SMBW and 3 enough that I barely ever die, let alone continue in games where getting 50+ lives is child's play.)

No, I still don't buy it. The sole measure can't be "how many times you died" anyway. How many really tricky jumps are there that just put you on safe ground and force you to run back and try again? Just because you don't die from it doesn't mean it's not hard. Perhaps the punishments are less severe and that makes us feel as if it's easier. Are you measuring the difficulty of merely beating the game or getting all the big coins? Some of those coins were really tough, like basically inside lava and you had to clip the edge of a platform to be able to wall jump back out.

I'd say you should play NSMB again. When it's easy, it's very easy, but I remember the back half of the game being as tricky as any Mario game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I'd say you should play NSMB again. When it's easy, it's very easy, but I remember the back half of the game being as tricky as any Mario game.

I'd agree.
    Have people forgotten the level with spiders falling from the sky?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

I'd agree.
    Have people forgotten the level with spiders falling from the sky?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncHzUHlxQ7U

I remember losing my firepower and being screwed for a while because life is so hard in the later levels without it.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://kotaku.com/5376663/possible-innovation-continues-that-count-up

Isn't this interesting..the game keeps track of your continue count. That worries me. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/5376663/possible-innovation-continues-that-count-up

Isn't this interesting..the game keeps track of your continue count. That worries me. :(

dc930f05f8c4d0b5f956559308394a9b-The_Legend_of_Zelda__Link_s_Awakening.jpg

Get through with no continues used and Luigi turns into a seagull.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Zelda used to do that all the time and there was nothing to worry about. I remember LA had a slightly different ending if you beat it at 000.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I got the chance to hit up a Nintendo press event today (Style Savvy is surprisingly good), but they led off with New SMB, and for anyone who's on the fence: Playing is believing. I was somewhat skeptical if the game could really stand apart as unique from the DS game, but it's totally different and totally awesome.

Difficulty is definitely there, too, though a lot of that stems from four-player mayhem and shit flying around everywhere. One of the levels I played was the castle from World 3, and it has that SMW-ish design where you have to ride the snakey moving platform and dodge enemies and keep up with the platform to stay alive. Totally harder than I expected, and they assured me that the number of enemies and stuff, which is tuned to four players, doesn't change even while playing single-player. They didn't talk about the Super Guide and treated it like a bit of a secret, but I happened to be there for a decidedly non-gaming publication, so I guess they meter their messages appropriately.

And in terms of characters, the way the character selection screen is set up (and the fact that there's even a character select screen at all) totally indicates to me that there will be more unlockable characters as you play. They didn't say anything about it, but I would be immensely surprised if that were not the case.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh man I really hope there's more characters, that'd be swell.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    W-A-R-I-O

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    They didn't talk about the Super Guide and treated it like a bit of a secret, but I happened to be there for a decidedly non-gaming publication, so I guess they meter their messages appropriately.

Um, isn't that a bit of a non sequitur? Since the super guide is especially meant for non-gamers and all?

Opium on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    They didn't talk about the Super Guide and treated it like a bit of a secret, but I happened to be there for a decidedly non-gaming publication, so I guess they meter their messages appropriately.

Um, isn't that a bit of a non sequitur? Since the super guide is especially meant for non-gamers and all?

I think they didn't want to crowd the plate with messages; they just kept saying "there's something that will balance single-player well" and kept focus on the 4-player multi. Now that I think about it, they barely even brought the single player up on their own, but they talked about it when I asked.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I really hope they decided to add other playable characters and are just being the normal secretive Nintendo types.

I want to play Wario or unlock Peach after beating the game.

I want to recreate Super Mario Bros 2 gal dernit! :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really hope they decided to add other playable characters and are just being the normal secretive Nintendo types.

That's the obvious thing. It's what we want. More than likely though we'll get.....

wait for it....

wait for it..........
    Wolf O'Donnell

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009

Wario has never had any connection whatsoever with the Bros. series and I really don't think they are gonna start now.

Unlockable Peach, especially the floaty SMB2 version, would be awesome though.

Opium on
  • Options
    NeoElectronautNeoElectronaut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

Wario has never had any connection whatsoever with the Bros. series and I really don't think they are gonna start now.

It'd be neat if you actually rescued Peach maybe about 2/3 of the way through the game, by which point she would then join "the team" and you could play as her the rest of the way through (or go back and play old levels, which would have areas only accessible by her) the game to finish off Bowser.

NeoElectronaut on
    faberbanner.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Oh, I know he hasn't been...but it would be neat to have a few choices when doing multi player.

Is is sad I actually want Wart to be the main baddie again. Appearantly I'm pining for a SMB2-2. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    NeoElectronautNeoElectronaut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

Oh, I know he hasn't been...but it would be neat to have a few choices when doing multi player.

Is is sad I actually want Wart to be the main baddie again. Appearantly I'm pining for a SMB2-2. :(

Wouldn't it be fantastic if the ending of NSMBW had Bowser ripping off a costume to reveal Wart underneath?

NeoElectronaut on
    faberbanner.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Er, Wario's in Mario 64 DS and Yoshi's Island DS, plus of course Mario Land 2. It's not exactly outside the realms of possibilty that he could be used here.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And if he's in it...then we would need WaLuigi to be playable...as well as WaToad...ok maybe not.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    still waiting for Wapeach, with a giant wario mustache

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

It'd be worth it for the standard issue villainess corset. Rowr.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009

Er, Wario's in Mario 64 DS and Yoshi's Island DS, plus of course Mario Land 2. It's not exactly outside the realms of possibilty that he could be used here.

I said BROS. Reading comprehension ++

Opium on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Well there was Shadow Peach from Paper Mario 2...

Shadow_queen.PNG

Opium on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hey, another note on the game; I haven't been keeping up with press on the game, but was it known that once you finish a level in single-player, it unlocks that level for instant quickplay in multiplayer? Like, beyond the competitive multiplayer stuff like the coin battles, you can choose any of the main levels from a menu for quickplay that won't screw up your life and coin count in the story mode. It also comes with 10 or 12 "recommended" levels unlocked that range from World 1 through World 8, so even if you haven't played the story at all you can sample some of the later levels. I thought that was a cool touch.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yea, I also thought that was a neat touch.

They seem to be putting alot of work into this game, and from what I've read, the difficulty is much higher in this game. Kotaku compared it to SMB3 in difficulty and fun.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I went back to New SMB DS in celebration and anticipation this morning, and in sections of World 4 I realized I'm pretty rusty on my Mario physics and jumping because it wasn't as easy as I'd remembered. :P

Lunker on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I went back to New SMB DS in celebration and anticipation this morning, and in sections of World 4 I realized I'm pretty rusty on my Mario physics and jumping because it wasn't as easy as I'd remembered. :P

I'm replaying it right now and find the controls to be a bit...floaty? Something like that. Certainly not as precise as say...SMB3. We'll see what the Wii game controls like.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It's easy to forget, but all the Mario games have had floaty controls to some degree.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That is true, but NSMB feels even floatier than normal. It's mitigated by being able to ninja acrobat your way out of any situation, though.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yes, wall jumping out of a hole is pretty awesome to do. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!