As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Super Mario Bros Wii - Out Now. 15

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Honestly, me too.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I really hope they decided to add other playable characters and are just being the normal secretive Nintendo types.

I want to play Wario or unlock Peach after beating the game.

I want to recreate Super Mario Bros 2 gal dernit! :x
    Wario has never had any connection whatsoever with the Bros. series and I really don't think they are gonna start now.

Unlockable Peach, especially the floaty SMB2 version, would be awesome though.

Er, Wario's in Mario 64 DS and Yoshi's Island DS, plus of course Mario Land 2. It's not exactly outside the realms of possibilty that he could be used here.

I said BROS. Reading comprehension ++

I don't understand, you're using a series that had a 16 year gap as a basis for rules?

edit: Personally, I think the fact that he is in SM64DS is more than enough to entertain the idea.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have we heard if there are various controller options other than Wii Remote on it's side? I like to use the Classic controller whenever I can. I love it's awesome d-pad.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009
    30725_super_wario_bros-v2.png

Opium on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have we heard if there are various controller options other than Wii Remote on it's side? I like to use the Classic controller whenever I can. I love it's awesome d-pad.

I will be disappointed if I can't use my Classic Controller.

I also would not be surprised if they require you use a sideways Wiimote for the inevitable Monkey Ball-style level a la that one in Galaxy.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

I will be disappointed if I can't use my Classic Controller.
    Especially the new Pro version. It seems to combine the best parts of the Dual Shock, the SNES and the GameCube controller, basically making it the best controller evah.

Opium on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There are platforms that you have tilt using the Wiimote. I doubt CC will be an option.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There are platforms that you have tilt using the Wiimote. I doubt CC will be an option.

There are always workarounds, aka two thumbsticks just sitting there. But you're still right.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, if it was an option, wouldn't it be in the top right corner of the back here?

29897_new_super_mario_bros_wii-v2.png

Kor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It's hard to take that seriously with an obviously fan made box art in the same format just above it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Especially since that doesn't match the boxart that's been released (only the front cover) and the date doesn't match the release date.

Opty on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Saddler wrote: »
    Kor wrote: »
    Personally, I would just like something from the NES games to return. The Second Quest. The First Mario did it, as did the first Zelda.

Play through the game once normally, and have a fun/challenging time. Beat the game and get the option to play through a much tougher version of the game that puts the proverbial balls to the wall.

This would be fantastic. With modern technology, they could even make the harder mode more meaningfully different than just speeding up the enemies, or putting in a bunch of bats or something. I'm almost 90% sure it won't happen, though. Pretty much every developer I can think of has moved on to other ways to give you an extended challenge, and not looked back.

I've longed for this for a while. I was disappointed that you couldn't replace the Goombas with Buzzy Beetles in NSMB when you beat it.
    I said BROS. Reading comprehension ++

Ah, you mean the series that technically ended/went on hiatus for 20 years before Wario was even invented? ;P
    Yes, wall jumping out of a hole is pretty awesome to do. :D

My favorite moment is when I fell off a snake platform that was rising as a single column of blocks, and managed to wall jump between it and the wall until the platform went horizontal again.

As for the controls, I love NSMB's the best, but I've heard from people at the show that NSMBWii feels slightly different. I hope it's not enough to throw me off.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Penguin Mario! I have to get this game.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think that one at the end was Ice Mario? I dislike the color scheme. So tacky. D:

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    As much flak as I've given Bowser Jr....seeing him riding the clown copter brought a strange smile to my face. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So this is an XBLA game? I hope its less than 800 points...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxgn9cRBeGU&feature=player_embedded

Game of the Year right here. A difficult 2.5D Mario....yessss....

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's hard to take that seriously with an obviously fan made box art in the same format just above it.

It's hard to take it seriously when it says "By Mariolee 6/5/09" or whatever on the bottom.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That looks fantastic.

Y'know I don't have any dislike of the NSMB music but I do wish they would've come up with a new theme. Oh well. I think I heard a few new tracks in the video.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh baby. I hope there are multiple save slots so I can power through a one player romp while picking at it two player style with my bro when we can get together. I think every Mario has done this, so it should be good.

Still no shots of the map screen?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    TheManiac_614TheManiac_614 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

:?

TheManiac_614 on
    halolz-dot-com-worldofwarcraft-nogirlfriendchart.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Aw man are you saying this is for PSN, no way am I buying a PS3 just for this

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh baby. I hope there are multiple save slots so I can power through a one player romp while picking at it two player style with my bro when we can get together. I think every Mario has done this, so it should be good.

Still no shots of the map screen?

The map I saw was straight new smb style - very linear, a few branching paths. Not boxy like smb3.

And I think there are multiple files, but what you can also do is access each story-mode level you've beaten straight from a menu in the multiplayer mode. Quickplay, essentially, of any level in the game.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    disappointed to see the mini-mushroom has made a return

Kor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I am not disappointed in a circumstance that results in the same powerups plus more. Mushroom, fire flower, ice flower, mini mushroom, penguin mario, and some kind of copter mario have all been seen so far. That is pretty sweet!

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

XOB has a unique sense of humor.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Has it? I hate the mini mushroom.

But I hate the mega mushroom more.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I am not disappointed in a circumstance that results in the same powerups plus more. Mushroom, fire flower, ice flower, mini mushroom, penguin mario, and some kind of copter mario have all been seen so far. That is pretty sweet!

I'm probably just in a pessimistic mode, but if past experience tells me anything, it's that 1/3rd of these items will be restricted to 1 or 2 stages.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I'm probably just in a pessimistic mode, but if past experience tells me anything, it's that 1/3rd of these items will be restricted to 1 or 2 stages.

Just like the Tanuki, Hammer and Frog suits? (Frog was a bit more available but of extremely limited utility)

Nah, I bet they'll all be in red boxes as in NSMB, and thus available pretty much whenever you want them (warp to another world, nab the box, leave if it's not what you want).

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Awesome, awesome video. I really can't wait for this game. Just a month away!

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Just like the Tanuki, Hammer and Frog suits? (Frog was a bit more available but of extremely limited utility)

Frog Suit is almost entirely there for e-peen purposes.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Beating the game with the Frog suit...that's what seperates the men from the boys. :lol:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Nah, I bet they'll all be in red boxes as in NSMB, and thus available pretty much whenever you want them (warp to another world, nab the box, leave if it's not what you want).

Have we seen anything to suggest you can hold an item in this game? I haven't noticed any, but I haven't been paying much attention to the HUD either.

Kor on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Long Miyamoto article (meeting + Q&A). General talk, Super Guide, and red boxart.
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/103/1035760p1.html
    Miyamoto wrote:
    At E3 we did a simple introduction of the Multiplayer features of New Super Mario Bros. Wii. But this is a full Super Mario game that starts at World 1 and goes all the way to World 8. You can play the story mode in single player from start to finish, and at any point you can add players from the world map and work your way to the end of the game. Beyond that, there are two dedicated multiplayer modes. Free For All lets you select stages from the story mode with a menu system that uses pictures to easily find your favorite stage. And in Coin Mode, this is a competitive multiplayer mode where you're competing for coins and ranked on how many you collect. Free for All mode is something that feels like Mario Kart where if you have friends over and you want to play your favorite level together. The levels you clear in Story Mode unlock in Free for All.

Now, here's the Super Guide block. If you die many times in a level, this block will appear and you can activate the Super Guide for that level. When you activate it, you'll see 'video' of Luigi running through the level. Since this is World 1-1, the guide is running through the most basic of tasks, almost like an instruction manual of how to play a Mario game. At any point, you can take control of the demo, so now I'm playing Luigi. What the Super Guide doesn't show is the secret areas, it's meant as a way to show novices a way to complete the level. But in the demo you can explore all the hidden areas. If you left the demo to run all the way to the end, it would give you the option to start the level over to clear it on your own, or if you just wanted to use it to get through the hard parts to finish the level and continue, you can do that.

I will say that when the Super Block icon appears, I feel regretful and guilty that I let that happen. I've often found that when that happens, that it inspires me to do better and clear it on my own. People who play the game without letting a hint block appear will get a little special something on the title screen after they finish. There'll be stars that'll appear on the title based on special things that you did in the game, and that's one of them.

As you collect star coins in each level, you can use the star coins to unlock additional movies that are created using a similar system to the Super Guide. These are called Hint Movies, and these show highest level of gameplay that testers and developers have achieved in the game. Things like Infinite 1-ups and Super Skills and locations of Star Coins. We have a video of these Hint Movies cut together showing off some of the testers' moves.

(Movie starts and ends).

This one's my personal favorite (Miyamoto shows off a four player Yoshi level, World 1-3 where three characters ride a Yoshi and Luigi does not…and Luigi is used as a whipping boy to collect all the coins and power-ups by swallowing and spitting him out between Yoshis, never letting him touch the ground, so each killed enemy becomes a 1-up).

Q: Where were you when Captain Lou Albano passed away and what was your reaction?

You're the one who just told me. (laughs but bows solemnly).

Q: There are many references to other Mario games, like the coin collect, the Koopa Kids…is this a Best of Mario game? Is there anything you haven't revealed you'd like to talk about?

To be honest I don't really know what we have and haven't revealed at this point, so it's hard for me to know what I can share. The main feature is the multiplayer, obviously…two things, one I can talk about, one I can't really delve into: one of the coin battle stages is a parody/alternate reality of the original Super Mario 1-1. If you know that level and play it in New Super Mario Bros Wii. I think you'll be surprised. And, I'm not supposed to talk about it, but the final boss in the game is something that will feel fresh and new, but will definitely feel like a parody of a previous game.

Q: Do you think the Super Guide is a form of cheating, and do you think it can be applied to any game?

We were able to create it for this game because we set out to make it specifically for New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and I think it depends on the priorities for other titles whether it may or may not make it in those games. We can't really promise that it'll be in every game from now forward, but at the same time there are some types of gameplay that are suited to a system like this. We'll evaluate the titles on a case-by-case basis.

shigeru-miyamoto-20091015081239954.jpg

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Luigi has always been the group's bitch.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Don't tell me it's 1600 points! That's way too much for 80+ stages of 1-4 player 2.5D platforming perfection! It better have some awesome achievements, or no sale.
    I'm preordering the next time I have a second. I'd probably pay $100 bucks for it. Also the game does have at least one achievement, you get a notification if you beat the game without super guide coming up once.

Also Gamestop is giving 25% extra trade in credit towards this game OR an extra ten dollars for every three Wii, 360, or PS3 game traded in worth over $2. You can use this to great advantage if you know how, It's an extra $20 for four games.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009

Most of the challenge in the DS version came from the mini mushroom.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I didn't hate the power-up so much as the fact I had to search one up whenever I needed it...just more annoying than I like. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited October 2009

I didn't hate the power-up so much as the fact I had to search one up whenever I needed it...just more annoying than I like. :P
    I agree, having to carry them over to the required levels was needlessly annoying.

Opium on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I agree, having to carry them over to the required levels was needlessly annoying.

What was REALLY annoying was that whenever you needed a mini or max or turtle powerup, there was almost never a guaranteed method of getting one. I was always forced to head to a mushroom house or red block level and play roulette, hoping I'd get the one I needed or I'd have to reset and try again.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."