As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Goron Mario bricks Wii, Puff Mario gets high

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Swimming without a shell was indeed awful.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They pretty much just screwed up the underwater camera. Hopefully they'll fix it for Galaxy 2.

jothki on
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    davidbarry wrote: »
    BigKev wrote: »
    Man that fire and ice stage was incredible. Especially considering they actually made a peak that you had to get to for the purple coins which was like a kilometer high. SO awesome.

Yes. I've played the ice portion of that level over and over. So many great jumps to pull off.
    Oh hell yes. The purple coins in that level demanded every ounce of your skill. I'm sure it drove people nuts but I always managed to get them all on my first try, albeit after about a half an hour.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh man I remember what you guys are talking about now. That last coin where you have to jump off the highest peak and grab it on the way down..

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    The sequel announcement has made me go back and try and get those last stars. And I realise that I completely forgot about these HORRIBLE fucking stingray surfing stages. Please, please nintendo! None of these in the sequel. I'm begging you.

Same here. I still had to play through some Purple Coin challenges as Mario. Luigi's Purple Coins, the Ghost Galaxy one and finally the Dreadnought.
    The Dreadnought wasn't so bad actually, I must have been really burnt out on the game by that point.

Now i'm playing through everything again as Luigi. Are there any stages that are more difficult for Luigi? I've only faced 1 Blue Comet so far and it seemed Luigi's double was a lot more skilled than what I remembered with Mario.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited June 2009
    Luigi is harder to use in general because of his horrible lack of friction, it makes a big difference on the more precision jumping stages.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Luigi is harder to use in general because of his horrible lack of friction, it makes a big difference on the more precision jumping stages.

Also it's been a whiles but isn't Cosmic Luigi harder to beat than Cosmic Mario?

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2009

Also it's been a whiles but isn't Cosmic Luigi harder to beat than Cosmic Mario?
    Yes he's considerably faster.

Luigi's frictionless's feet are compensated by his fucking incredible jumping skills, so much so that I can't go back to playing as Mario after beating the Luigi game. I've just come to rely on his super jump too much.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh wow, I've only just heard about this. I can't wait!
    There are so many possible Galaxies it's no wonder they made a direct sequel, that and the ending pretty much said they were going back.

Hmm, now that you mention it, I guess one could take that away from the ending. Nice.
    All I really want is a return to the old school power-up system, as in, you lose your power if you get hit. Keeping the power-up should be a prize for being skillful.

Agreed; the bee suit worked that way. Can't recall if getting hit took the power away from the others, anyway, or not. But the time thing sucked, even though they made at least one puzzle for Fire Mario around it.
    Oh and less 1-ups, but a few more coins per level. It doesn't feel right not having tons of coins to run though. Fuck star bits.

Won't argue this. Fewer 1ups, sure, but getting rid of them altogether? I will forever protest that. Change their function, even, but I still want to hear that distinctive sound.
    Seol wrote: »
    Oh wow, I've only just heard about this. I can't wait!
    There are so many possible Galaxies it's no wonder they made a direct sequel, that and the ending pretty much said they were going back.

All I really want is a return to the old school power-up system, as in, you lose your power if you get hit. Keeping the power-up should be a prize for being skillful.

Oh and less 1-ups, but a few more coins per level. It doesn't feel right not having tons of coins to run though. Fuck star bits.
    It'd be nice if the power-ups weren't always there as a puzzle element (you need suit A to progress past point B), but that would be a drastic change to the approach. And it's one-or-the-other, for pretty much the entire game design - how frustrating would it be to have the Hammer Suit, or Shoe, when you get to a level where you need to be Bee Mario to progress, forcing you to dump the awesome suit of awesomeness?

Oh, you wouldn't keep a suit outside of a level in my mind, but say you open a door with the fire flower, why not have the chance to keep it until the boss? Thus making one area of the level easier by being skilled earlier?
    Besides, every suit is fun, it shouldn't feel like you're missing out, you take off one suit only to gain another. I could see it working in some levels anyway. :)

I think at least yoshi will work this way, I hope he doesn't just appear for puzzles relating to him.

Maybe be able to swap out suits, like in some games. Wearing a Hammer Suit and get a Bee Suit, the Hammer Suit goes into your inventory?
    So what information do we have on the galaxies?
    I think I've seen a musical one and a food themed one.

And one that reminds me of Giant Land/Big Island.
    I kinda want a mini-Mushroom Kingdom planet. Everything from Peach's Castle to Bob-Bomb's Battlefield to Dry Dry Desert, but really really small. Perhaps after completing whatever objective the planet has, you fight Bowser Jr. across it, like some sort of Godzilla vs. King Kong parody; tiny mushroom houses getting crushed and such. :3

I could go for this.
    I really want to bitch about galaxy, but it's not like anyone here is a developer so it's totally pointless. I loved the game overall, but I hated it so much whenever I was swimming (fucking camera would never show me where I was going) or finding purple coins (after one hour of searching I'm at the last coin and then fall into a bottomless pit).

I can agree with this. Might be nice if simply finding the purple coins were enough, except in special cases, like maybe Luigi's Purple Coins.

And yeah, swimming was tedious.
    Don't get me wrong, I like a challenge, but whenever SMG got hard I just got mad at it instead of having fun. (Unlike 2D marios, which don't put you back 15 minutes when you die, or have all this shit that just stops you from moving the way you want when it hits you so you just have to watch Mario die in a chain reaction from one fuckup.)

Agreed. I like a challenge, but one in which I can feel accomplished at the end, rather than "thank God that's finally over, so that I never have to do it again."

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I definitely want Purple Coins to come back, but it might be nice if they saved your progress on them on missions that aren't timed.

Speed Racer on
  • JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm all for replacing the spring with a Kuribo's Shoe. One level in one game just isn't good enough.

Jasoco on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Would anyone really miss water levels if they were removed from every game ever? The closest I've come to liking them is in SMW when there were a few levels where you jumped in and out of water as you progressed. In SMG they some of the few sections I really didn't enjoy at all. Not a good control system or camera whatsoever and didn't really find them any fun at all.

SUPERSUGA on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    Would anyone really miss water levels if they were removed from every game ever? The closest I've come to liking them is in SMW when there were a few levels where you jumped in and out of water as you progressed. In SMG they some of the few sections I really didn't enjoy at all. Not a good control system or camera whatsoever and didn't really find them any fun at all.

I liked a few of the NSMB underwater levels, and that one in galaxy with the robots was fun.

Antimatter on
    edited June 2009
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »

Ecco would kinda suck.

jothki on
    edited June 2009
    I've never played a game (that wasn't actually based on water) that had water sections I enjoyed. Always a chore.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2009
    Somewhat more seriously, the water sections worked pretty well in the second and third Spyro games.

jothki on
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've never played a game (that wasn't actually based on water) that had water sections I enjoyed. Always a chore.

Majora's Mask. The Zora Mask was the best item in the game.

The Fourth Estate on
    steam_sig.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I liked the Mario Galaxy water levels.
    All of them.
    Some of my favourites.

Xagarath on
    edited June 2009
    I don't remember MM that well but I do remember some fucking lost words style maze I had to follow a fish through or something. And it was annoying.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Galaxy had the best swimming of any 3D platformer ever.

It was still irritating if you didn't have a shell, but it couldn't have been any better.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shell-less swimming got a lot easier if you abused spinning.

Xagarath on
  • SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Swimming was awesome in SMB and SMW, and I liked it in both 64 and Galaxy (although Galaxy needed for the camera to chase behind you quicker when you turn). It's also awesome in NES Megaman games.

Seol on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh man I remember what you guys are talking about now. That last coin where you have to jump off the highest peak and grab it on the way down..

As much as certain Purple Coin stages annoyed me, I LOVED that one.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Galaxy had the best swimming of any 3D platformer ever.

It was still irritating if you didn't have a shell, but it couldn't have been any better.

If the camera stayed behind Mario it could have been better.

LoneIgadzra on
  • BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cosmic Luigi is a fucking bitch.

Also, i've never played Shadow of the Collosus, but i've always imagined its like the level where you're climbing up the giant toy bowser and then you make him explode when you get to the top which is AWESOME.

BigKev on
    Steam ID : BigKev87
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I can think of a couple that I enjoyed.

Banjo-Tooie: Jolly Roger's Lagoon was good because swimming is just like flying except you don't waste feathers on it. And oxygenated water keeps you away from bullshit "I am out of air" deaths.

Uncharted: I loved the jetski sections.

Sonic 2: Hydrocity Zone and Aquatic Ruin Zone were both awesome.

Oregon Trail: I caulked wagons just to watch them tip over. Also the arcade bit at the end reminiscent of Toobin' was great.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hydrocity is Sonic 3 and most of the reason I don't play Sonic 3.

Elendil on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    Hydrocity is Sonic 3 and most of the reason I don't play Sonic 3.

D'oh! I meant Chemical Plant! It also rules for having the best music.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sonic 2's water levels are okay because you don't really have to go in the water all that much.

Sonic water levels are otherwise absolutely loathsome.

Elendil on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BigKev wrote: »
    Cosmic Luigi is a fucking bitch.

Also, i've never played Shadow of the Collosus,

I...I understand the words, but the sentence makes no sense.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • KlaymenKlaymen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I liked mario64 water levels but mainly for the music

Klaymen on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Swimming in 3d platformers is universally terrible.

Zek on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Majora's Mask. The Fierce Deity mask was the best item in the game.

Godfather on
    edited June 2009
    jclast wrote: »

Banjo-Tooie: Jolly Roger's Lagoon was good because swimming is just like flying except you don't waste feathers on it. And oxygenated water keeps you away from bullshit "I am out of air" deaths.
    Banjo-Kazooie had great swimming sections as well. Nicely manueverable and your air lasted actually quite a long time.

You guys saying "There are no good swimming levels" in 3D platformers are all little girls.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Grim SqueakerGrim Squeaker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For all the people bitching about camera control in the water levels, you know you can press c to get the camera behind you? Really helps.

Grim Squeaker on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hate water levels, doubly so in 3D. I think the ones in SMG were by far the least hateful I've played.

KalTorak on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ever since these announcements, I am playing through NSMB and SMG again.

SMG is an orgasm in game form. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited June 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    Sonic 2's water levels are okay because you don't really have to go in the water all that much.

Sonic water levels are otherwise absolutely loathsome.

Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun

Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun

Dunununununununu

Speed Racer on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i honestly thought the water levels in SMG were handled well. i had no problem with the camera. sure its different from the regular controls but seriously it maybe took me less then a minute to adjust.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    I didn't think the controls were all that bad for them, but I didn't really enjoy the water levels very much.

I liked the one that was like a giant floating bowl of water but that's only because there were some cool stars that didn't involve swimming very much.

Speed Racer on
This discussion has been closed.