Options

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't get it to load either.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm currently playing the first one, about 45 puzzles in. I'm not doing too bad so far, maybe my brain hasn't atrophied after college as much as I thought. I've only had to resort to gamefaqs once though... that goddamn slidling tile puzzle of the apple. Never could do those things.

I never understood why people have trouble with those sliding puzzles. The patterns involved are completely trivial until you reach the bottom two rows, at which point they're still pretty trivial.

If you're going for optimization, sure. But nothing that I've seen ever makes you go for optimization.

jothki on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Loads fine for me, but here it is rehosted anyway.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6868/proflaytonfinishedta2qd.jpg

LewieP on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That's pretty good.

Houn on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I hope this game doesn't have another bullshit puzzle like "A strange device that pokes a hole in the center of paper and draws a circle around the hole.", or a puzzle with instructions that say "Don't make a mirror image" when that's exactly the answer they want. Those two puzzles were horrible. Just horrible. I hear some people hated the chocolate one as well, but I don't remember having too much trouble with it. I think.

Gilder on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's sort of odd when you see a walkthrough website and see the puzzles the UK got that were different than the US. Stuff like that downloadable puzzle about the weighted balls, or how the EU/US versions had puzzles gouged from the second game.

Also surprised as to how fast this game seems to have leaked onto the piracy sites. Goddamnit, internet.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think it's been mentioned, but I just confirmed Gamestop is inexplicably selling this for $5 more than anywhere else.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    By buying it there?

But yeah, I noticed that too when I was browsing for my Scribblenauts chicken hat.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just snagged The World Ends With You and Apollo Justice last week.

I know full well if I buy Layton today I will immediately play it, and therefore may never get to TWEWY, and will severely jepordize getting Apollo done before Edgeworth comes out.

The true puzzle here is why I can not restrain myself, and will more than likely pick this up on my dinner break from work.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Gonna watch this movie.

You can't really read it embedded, but you can try. Otherwise just click the link.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I just snagged The World Ends With You and Apollo Justice last week.

I know full well if I buy Layton today I will immediately play it, and therefore may never get to TWEWY, and will severely jepordize getting Apollo done before Edgeworth comes out.

The true puzzle here is why I can not restrain myself, and will more than likely pick this up on my dinner break from work.

The trick is to have less money. Works wonders for me.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I think it's been mentioned, but I just confirmed Gamestop is inexplicably selling this for $5 more than anywhere else.

They do this often. Because they're full of shit.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Note:

If you get to a puzzle where you must determine ratios of x:y, to NOT reduce the fraction. It'll be a "wrong" answer. :P

Houn on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That reminds me of one puzzle that involved triangles and lengths and such. Either way the tips said "Do NOT bring trigonometry into the mix. You can do this in your head.".

Sure as shit didn't stop me from trying to use trig. And still fail horribly. :)

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I picked this up today at EB Games. No preorder or anything. I havn't opened it yet(I'm at work, so I can't start on it, but once I get home...:D )

Interpreter on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That reminds me of one puzzle that involved triangles and lengths and such. Either way the tips said "Do NOT bring trigonometry into the mix. You can do this in your head.".

Sure as shit didn't stop me from trying to use trig. And still fail horribly. :)

I think I remember that one. It was a flag with a diamond in the middle, and you had to figure out how much of the flag was the diamond in fraction form. I think I used trig and it worked, but the answer was super easy. I guess I'm just always wary of figures not being to scale.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Layton 4 has just been announced in Japan and it's coming out on the 26th of November, just 2-3 months after we all get Layton 2. It's based 3 years before Layton 1, when Layton and Luke first met. There's also a female character called Remi.

Oh and Layton 1 sold 5,580,000 worldwide...

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh good, maybe we'll finally get some backstory. It seemed really odd in Layton 1 when bad guys would pop out of nowhere and were supposed to be Layton's nemesis, but I didn't even know the guy. Who is this kid and why is he hanging out with a professor? Where are his parents?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You sure you didn't add an extra zero or something? 'cause hot damn, if that's accurate Nintendo and Level 5 and that college professor who's behind all this are sitting mighty fucking pretty right about now.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    You sure you didn't add an extra zero or something? 'cause hot damn, if that's accurate Nintendo and Level 5 and that college professor who's behind all this are sitting mighty fucking pretty right about now.

Nope, it's accurate. Layton sold over 500k in just Japan, let alone its enormous popularity in Europe. I doubt Nintendo's getting a hell of a lot of it though, they're only the US/Europe publisher.

Anyway, there's more news. There's going to be some extra content called London Life for Layton 4 from Brownie Brown (Mother 3 and Blue Dragon Plus developers). It apparently looks like Mother 3 graphically but it's more of a 'life sim', where you go around making people happy or something.

Also, there's going to be a Layton movie made by the studio that did the Pokemon movies. It comes out on the 19th of December and they want to release them annually.

Here's the link to the live blog from Level 5's annual event:
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175743

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh, hot diggity. :D Something tells me that five years down the line I'm going to be remembering this media-spanning series damn fondly.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Who is this kid and why is he hanging out with a professor?

:winky:

Also, obligatory:

20080213.jpg

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, the first game is still regularly high in the charts in the UK, not to mention that it had crazy shortages last Christmas, it was going for way more than RRP on eBay.

LewieP on
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Use the Slide Block Puzzle Solver when you hit the 80 picarat one. You will thank me.

Profusely.

There will be kneeling and tears.

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am off to purchase this game. I enjoyed the first one SOOO much.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I was HOLDING it today and instead bought real books. I hate myself.

But I still have Apollo Justice in the shrinkwrap, so I just couldn't justify having it just to have it when I could wait a little bit and maybe catch a deal when I actually will have time to play it.

But I need to know - is the music the same? Please say the music is the same.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well it seems I will not be playing the game today as it is coming in tomorrow.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But I need to know - is the music the same? Please say the music is the same.

You mean stylistically, not exactly, right?

I'd say there's a 90% chance it's stylistically the same but different themes.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I really just hope they change up the puzzle tune every now and again.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    But I still have Apollo Justice in the shrinkwrap, so I just couldn't justify having it just to have it when I could wait a little bit and maybe catch a deal when I actually will have time to play it.
    What the hell is wrong with you, man? Get crackin'.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Or return it, or whatever.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    jothki wrote: »

Or return it, or whatever.

On case 3-3 of Trials and Tribulations. Saw Apollo Justice for $11 and picked it up simply because I've never seen it that cheap, and know I will crave more lawyering once I finally finish off PW. It will be played to death, no need to return it...

And as far as Layton goes, I want that accordian and music box sound again. And would actually be 100% happy if the pause menu had the same music. But yes, stylistically for the majority is all Im concerned with...

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Puzzle theme is exactly the same. Stylistically, the rest of the music is similar, yes.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Apparently Layton 4 has a 100 hour Layton RPG side game that was meant for phones.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Apparently Layton 4 has a 100 hour Layton RPG side game that was meant for phones.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. I will play it to the max and get Layton to 99. He will Trance the shit out of puzzles.

Gilder on
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

And it's about running around in London and making people happy.

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Megazver wrote: »

And it's about running around in London and making people happy.

Well shit, son, he'll make London the happiest goddamn city in the world, then!

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    TRU didn't have this today. Jerks.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fonographfonograph Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    Who is this kid and why is he hanging out with a professor?

:winky:

From Layton 2, early on:
    CHELMEY: So, you carry a young boy around with you as an... "apprentice"?

fonograph on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh dear god...

So the password to unlock the door in the first game is in the second, right. Well when you do this, you get another password to unlock something in the second game. Your reward is a little puzzle.
    A fucking sliding block puzzle!!!

Fuck you!
    I managed to finished it. But I hate them. I absolutely hate them. I can't do 'em. My brain just turns to mush. If they're easy for you, then more power to 'ya. But they're the bane of my pathetic existance.

The Wolfman on