Options

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It was my only roadblock in Trace Memory.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So hey, I got a DSi today. And Professor Layton and Locke's Quest.

Did I do good? I hear this game is fun and puzzly, but other than that, NO CLUE what it's about. I got the curious village one, not the satan box.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Professor Layton is one my new favorite video game series ever, so in my eyes you did good. The puzzles are of all varieties, so if you like puzzles even the slightest bit you've made a good purchase. You also did good purchasing Curious Village. That's the first game and to get the full experience you'll want to play them all in order.

Gilder on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Out of curiosity, how's the puzzle variety? I know that some folks've said the matchsteek variety hasn't come up for at least a good bit into the game, and one thing I noticed about the first one was the abundance of those "figure out who is lying/telling the truth/whatever" puzzles. Are there any new particular types? How about stuff that makes use of the DS' capabilities, like 3D spatial and object puzzles? Any audio-based stuff?

Just two more days... :(

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm not too sure, since it's been said that Layton 1 had a lot of puzzles stolen from Layton 2 or something. Something about the game being deeply ingrained in Japanese culture, or so much so that it was nigh unintelligible to outsiders.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There's a pretty good variety, if you're asking about Curious Village. No audio based stuff. I don't know about the sequel yet.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how's the puzzle variety? I know that some folks've said the matchsteek variety hasn't come up for at least a good bit into the game, and one thing I noticed about the first one was the abundance of those "figure out who is lying/telling the truth/whatever" puzzles. Are there any new particular types? How about stuff that makes use of the DS' capabilities, like 3D spatial and object puzzles? Any audio-based stuff?

Just two more days... :(

IGN's review said there's about 150 puzzles in there.

They gave it an 8.5, by the way.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    TRU didn't have this today. Jerks.
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I went to gamestop yesterday and he told me I could pick it up Wednesday, but they were only getting like 4 copies. So I pre-ordered that shit then and there.

Congratulations, you're part of the problem. I'll waltz right into Toys R Us and find it easily without stooping to the BS pre-order song-and-dance. TRU is doing a Buy 1, Get 1 Half Off on Wii and DS games, too.

Part of the problem we may be (and paying $5 extra...) but we have the game. ;)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am going out to buy this right now and I am SO EXCITED

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I went to gamestop yesterday and he told me I could pick it up Wednesday, but they were only getting like 4 copies. So I pre-ordered that shit then and there.

Congratulations, you're part of the problem. I'll waltz right into Toys R Us and find it easily without stooping to the BS pre-order song-and-dance. TRU is doing a Buy 1, Get 1 Half Off on Wii and DS games, too.

Yeah yeah.... I would've gone somewhere else when TRU didn't have it but I really want to cash in on the Buy 1 Get 1 Half Off deal at TRU. I'm sure Best Buy and Target had it.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I didn't even notice that. Sweet, sweet irony.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh god. Only 6 or 7 puzzles in and I am struck with a tower of hanoi puzzle...one that looks like there will be more like it. Why does this have to show up in my Laytons?

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Moorening wrote: »
    Oh god. Only 6 or 7 puzzles in and I am struck with a tower of hanoi puzzle...one that looks like there will be more like it. Why does this have to show up in my Laytons?

Professor Layton: Now brought to you by Bioware!

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Professor Layton: Now brought to you by Bioware!

I actually said this out loud on the bus when I came across it.

Of course, thanks to Bioware, I can solve Towers with my eyes closed, so it's not that big a deal.

Houn on
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    True, it's not that difficult anymore, but still I was hoping for more "tvelve metchsteek" and less "move this pile over here".

It hardly ruins the game for me, just a minor irk.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm finding this game harder overall. Mostly because I keep overthinking it on the "easy" 20-30pt puzzles.

Houn on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ordered online and on the way. I think I've got a day or two to finish Ecclesia before it arrives. Maybe I should let my wife play it first. She loved the first one and I really need to work on my own game.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Beat the game. That was fun. The last sliding block puzzle is one made in Hell. No way am I doing a sliding block puzzle that needs at least 78 moves to solve it. Screw the Japanese!

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Beat the game already? So you just did the required puzzles?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Puzzle 20, I call BS.
    A woman in a shoe store pays for a pair of $30 shoes with a $50. Shopkeeper cant break a $50 so he goes nextdoor. Shopkeeper gives the woman her change. Clerk nextdoor says the bill is fake so shop keeper gives the other clerk $50 of his own money. How much did the shoe clerk lose?

Shoe Guy gains $50 (from woman)
    Shoe Guy gives $50 (to other shopkeeper)
    Shoe Guy gains $50 (this can be used for change)
    Shoe Guy gives $20 (gives to woman as change for $30 shoes)
    Shoe Guy gives $50 (to other shopkeeper for fake $50 bill previously)
    50-50=0+50=50-20=30-50=-20

What is wrong with my logic?

Lux782 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    He's giving 50 bucks of his own money, as well as keeping a fake 50.

Right?

It's a little like that Harry Anderson short change trick.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    StuartenhaffenStuartenhaffen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lux782 wrote: »
    Puzzle 20, I call BS.
    A woman in a shoe store pays for a pair of $30 shoes with a $50. Shopkeeper cant break a $50 so he goes nextdoor. Shopkeeper gives the woman her change. Clerk nextdoor says the bill is fake so shop keeper gives the other clerk $50 of his own money. How much did the shoe clerk lose?

Shoe Guy gains $50 (from woman)
    Shoe Guy gives $50 (to other shopkeeper)
    Shoe Guy gains $50 (this can be used for change)
    Shoe Guy gives $20 (gives to woman as change for $30 shoes)
    Shoe Guy gives $50 (to other shopkeeper for fake $50 bill previously)
    50-50=0+50=50-20=30-50=-20

What is wrong with my logic?

You forgot to subtract the price of the shoes.
    The interaction with the other shop keeper should be disregarded, he ends up with the forged note and gives her back the money she gave him. Thus all you have to take into account is what he lost in the original transaction.

Stuartenhaffen on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    He loses the shoes as well as the change he gives her.
    So, he's out $50 total

Aistan on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just started playing the first one. It's so wonderful!
    The goddamned answer to the alphabet one is U. Why won't you accept that as the answer? IT IS CLEARLY CORRECT.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I noticed this puzzle in the preview posted on page 1 or something immediately. It caused me to laugh out loud.

God I hate that puzzle.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    fonographfonograph Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just started playing the first one. It's so wonderful!
    The goddamned answer to the alphabet one is U. Why won't you accept that as the answer? IT IS CLEARLY CORRECT.

I'm not seeing your logic here. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong puzzle. Puzzle #60, 'Alphabet'?

I got this one in like five seconds because the first time I heard a similar puzzle, at the age of about 12, the rage was seared into my memory for all time.

fonograph on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm finding this game harder overall. Mostly because I keep overthinking it on the "easy" 20-30pt puzzles.

I HATE THE "EASY" PUZZLES
    screw you puzzles
    screw you.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That "easy" paper folding puzzle confused the hell out of me. I still got the answer my first try because I guess I understood it the right way, but the whole folding it in half and then folding again was confusing. Then the picture looked like it was unfolded and the question really confused me.

Gilder on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just bought this today and I have to say I am really happy with it. Something that always bugged me about the original is that it was just a random series of puzzles to progress with no type of connection so it felt very shallow. But now that the puzzles are associated to the storyline it feels much more fleshed out. SO now I really can feel like the famous archeologist.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I mentioned this in a different thread, but I agree that so far (I just started), these puzzles are less metchsteek oriented. There actually seems to be a point.

Also, I lol'd at some cut scenes already.

edit: What the what? Luke's got a secret?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, most of the puzzles relating to the main story are... well, related somewhat to the story, yes. Most everything else though is still as deliciously random as ever.

Layton: Excuse me ma'dam. Might you know anything about the Elysian box?
    Lady: 'Fraid not, but have you heard the one about the pancakes?
    *cue Tower of Hanoi puzzle*

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Luke: Oh what a nice pitcher of water.
    Layton: Yes it is nice. That reminds me of a puzzle about drinking poison!

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fuck you, window. Fuck you, Luke and your poor packing skills.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't help but think that poor
    Flora
    must get pissed off when traveling around with those assholes.

"I was thinking of buying a new pair of shoes. My old ones are kind of ratty, so-"
    "Shoes? Ah, that reminds me of a puzzle! So this man has constructed a house entirely out of shoe leather, but failed to take into account the tension at which shoe leather tears a blah dee blah dee blaahhhahhh"

"Welp, I'm going off to sleep. Good night."
    "Using military time, how many times in a given night would a digital clock display the same digit three times in a row"

"Luke is drowning, we've got to fish him out!"
    "Speaking of fish, here is a picture I drew of a trout along with three other pictures that have been color swapped and flipped upside down and backwards, which is the exact match of the original aside from these differences"

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So how much is said spoilered character in this game?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Quite a bit.

Houn on
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Beat the game already? So you just did the required puzzles?

Nah, all of them except 150-153. Those are tough. :( Even did the one you get with the code from the first game. It's a lame slide 15 puzzle, don't bother.

I have no life. :(

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ugh, Tower of Hanoi? I'm shaking my fist right now. I will look for this at TRU today, along with a companion game for the buy-1-get-1-half-off deal; it's the only way I can justify spending money on it right now.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Yeah yeah.... I would've gone somewhere else when TRU didn't have it but I really want to cash in on the Buy 1 Get 1 Half Off deal at TRU. I'm sure Best Buy and Target had it.

I was in my local Best Buy yesterday (picking up Metroid plus some other things) and saw no sign of the game -- there wasn't even a space where they would have been sold out. That's why I pre-ordered this.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Quite a bit.

Actually from what I've seen so far, I wouldn't say it's spoiled much at all.
    Unlike what other stories would do, they don't bother with any sort of recap or whatnot on who she for new players. The game just flat out assumes you know and leaves it at that. They basically say "Oh Flora, you're here? Ok, let's go then" and continue on. So far the most detail they've gone into is mentioning how she's surprised about a town's fair, because she was from "a sleepy little town".

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."