Options

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

123578

Posts

  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Quite a bit.

    Actually from what I've seen so far, I wouldn't say it's spoiled much at all.
    Unlike what other stories would do, they don't bother with any sort of recap or whatnot on who she for new players. The game just flat out assumes you know and leaves it at that. They basically say "Oh Flora, you're here? Ok, let's go then" and continue on. So far the most detail they've gone into is mentioning how she's surprised about a town's fair, because she was from "a sleepy little town".

    Yeah, but to be fair they do that with the first game. The game starts with Layton and Luke in the car and everyone is like "wait who are these guys?"

    Delzhand on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I encountered my first puzzle before even buying the game today:

    Q: What Wii game out of Toys R Us's shitty Wii selection should I buy to go along with Professor Layton to take advantage of their Wii/DS game deal?

    A: ... Little King's Story?
    :?
    :?
    :)
    :o CORRECT!

    Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Good man.

    Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes, yes I am quite looking forward to this game
    And even though GameStopsuxlol, at least they ship to Iraq for cheap and the game is tax-free

    Rent on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    OH MY GOD

    I forgot how enraging sliding block puzzles can be. I refuse to quit out on a puzzle quite yet, and it always feels so close, but ... :x :x :x Goddamned garbage cats.

    EDIT: HELL YEAH JUST FIGURED IT OUT, SUCK IT GARBAGE CATS

    Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    suck it garbage cats?

    this game brings out the worst in people.

    but seriously fuck sliding puzzles.

    Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Finally, mine! :D God bless Amazon and free standard/release-day shipping!

    EDIT: I just hit A Strip of Paper, and my two bits:
    This really doesn't make sense - not the whole metric-to-imperial deal, but tha answer. If your first fold gives you a misalignment with a length difference of ten tenths of an inch (the length of the top piece in relation to the bottom thus represented as X-10) but then your second fold has you shooting over by ten tenths of an inch (X+10) presumably while maintaining the same orientation as when you made the first fold, then it should be 20 tenths of an inch - the first ten in order to match the two halves up even, and then the second set of 10 to give you the one-inch overshoot of the top piece over the bottom.

    EDIT: Shiiiii~! I see it now, my brain kept screaming out about preservation of matter and such shit whenever I entertained that line of logic.

    Oh yeah, and FUCK SLIDING BLOCK PUZZLES. And I'm pretty sure the Tower of Hanoi is way longer than the 100 years the game says.

    Sorenson on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So how do I unlock the password that gives me the bonus in the first game, anyhow?

    Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Finally, mine! :D God bless Amazon and free standard/release-day shipping!

    EDIT: I just hit A Strip of Paper, and my two bits:
    This really doesn't make sense - not the whole metric-to-imperial deal, but tha answer. If your first fold gives you a misalignment with a length difference of ten tenths of an inch (the length of the top piece in relation to the bottom thus represented as X-10) but then your second fold has you shooting over by ten tenths of an inch (X+10) presumably while maintaining the same orientation as when you made the first fold, then it should be 20 tenths of an inch - the first ten in order to match the two halves up even, and then the second set of 10 to give you the one-inch overshoot of the top piece over the bottom.
    You're forgetting to take from the other side when you add to the first side. If you've got an overhang of 1 inch, you're folding from .5 from the center: this adds .5 inches to the top, longer side, and removes .5 inches from the bottom, shorter side for a total of 1 inch overhang. Do the same fold again but reverse the direction/values and you end up with another fold .5 inches from the center meaning they're 1 inch from each other.

    Opty on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Opty wrote: »
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Finally, mine! :D God bless Amazon and free standard/release-day shipping!

    EDIT: I just hit A Strip of Paper, and my two bits:
    This really doesn't make sense - not the whole metric-to-imperial deal, but tha answer. If your first fold gives you a misalignment with a length difference of ten tenths of an inch (the length of the top piece in relation to the bottom thus represented as X-10) but then your second fold has you shooting over by ten tenths of an inch (X+10) presumably while maintaining the same orientation as when you made the first fold, then it should be 20 tenths of an inch - the first ten in order to match the two halves up even, and then the second set of 10 to give you the one-inch overshoot of the top piece over the bottom.
    You're forgetting to take from the other side when you add to the first side. If you've got an overhang of 1 inch, you're folding from .5 from the center: this adds .5 inches to the top, longer side, and removes .5 inches from the bottom, shorter side for a total of 1 inch overhang. Do the same fold again but reverse the direction/values and you end up with another fold .5 inches from the center meaning they're 1 inch from each other.
    Yeah, I though it was 2 inches initially too. The matchbook example at the solution really helps illustrate the reasoning.

    Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No. 52
    Utterly retarded. When it rains its fucking cloudy. Then they expect you to assume that the previous Saturday was cloudy? I call BS. Wasted 3 hint coins on a retarded ass puzzle.

    Lux782 on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lux782 wrote: »
    No. 52
    Utterly retarded. When it rains its fucking cloudy. Then they expect you to assume that the previous Saturday was cloudy? I call BS. Wasted 3 hint coins on a retarded ass puzzle.


    Really? I got it on my first try.

    Again, anyone know how to get the password for Curious Village?

    Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Go to Top Secret from Bonuses on the main menu. On the screen with the Elysian Box and Time Ticket or whatever, the top screen has the password. Feel free to use the password from Curious Village right away as well. There's no spoilers for Diabolical Box in the bonus.

    Gilder on
  • Options
    starlitestarlite Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I HATE THE GARBAGE CATS.

    starlite on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I've been playing this for about an hour, and please tell me that the voiceacting for some of these conversations gets better (read: much much worse. :D

    Sorenson on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The only thing that bugs me is that Luke's default facial expression during conversations looks like he's watching a grisly murder in paralyzed shock just off camera.

    That, and during one of the early cinemas there was a close up of Layton's face, and all I could think of was:
    Robert_Shaw_as_Quint_in_the_movie_%27Jaws%27_%281976%29.jpg


    And, you know, the thing about Layton... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he asks ya to solve a puzzle, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'.

    Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    The only thing that bugs me is that Luke's default facial expression during conversations looks like he's watching a grisly murder in paralyzed shock just off camera.

    That, and during one of the early cinemas there was a close up of Layton's face, and all I could think of was:
    Robert_Shaw_as_Quint_in_the_movie_%27Jaws%27_%281976%29.jpg


    And, you know, the thing about Layton... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he asks ya to solve a puzzle, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'.

    :^:

    emnmnme on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    TRU didn't have this today. Jerks.
    Vegan wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I went to gamestop yesterday and he told me I could pick it up Wednesday, but they were only getting like 4 copies. So I pre-ordered that shit then and there.

    Congratulations, you're part of the problem. I'll waltz right into Toys R Us and find it easily without stooping to the BS pre-order song-and-dance. TRU is doing a Buy 1, Get 1 Half Off on Wii and DS games, too.

    Part of the problem we may be (and paying $5 extra...) but we have the game. ;)

    Yeah yeah.... I would've gone somewhere else when TRU didn't have it but I really want to cash in on the Buy 1 Get 1 Half Off deal at TRU. I'm sure Best Buy and Target had it.

    I was in my local Best Buy yesterday (picking up Metroid plus some other things) and saw no sign of the game -- there wasn't even a space where they would have been sold out. That's why I pre-ordered this.

    I saw it at Best Buy and TRU today. TRU was just slow to put it out on release day.

    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just saw a commercial for this during Project Runway.
    go go housewife market!

    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cross postin' from the SE thread because I think it's funny:

    Professor Layton and the Cancerous Growth!

    PART TWO

    And one more, just for good measure

    Also this game has made me painfully aware of how much i suck at spatial reasoning

    Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Goddamnit, why do I feel like I have to use hint coins so early in the game?

    And also, why can't I rotate any of Luke's shit in his suitcase?

    cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Goddamnit, why do I feel like I have to use hint coins so early in the game?

    And also, why can't I rotate any of Luke's shit in his suitcase?

    Because that would make the puzzle too easy. That one took me a good 20 minutes, but I enjoyed it.

    Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmm, what's a good name for a pet?

    edit: Nevermind, I named him Bruce.

    cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmm, what's a good name for a pet?

    I named mine Porkins.

    Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I named my guy Pip.

    Anyway I failed to make some tea for this chick. I do have another chance to make her tea, right?

    Lux782 on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lux782 wrote: »
    I named my guy Pip.

    Anyway I failed to make some tea for this chick. I do have another chance to make her tea, right?

    If you leave the screen and come back a little later she'll be thirsty again. Or sometimes if you leave the screen and come right back they are thirsty immediately... i'm not sure how it works.

    You can try again though, yes.

    Aistan on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I don't think there are any one time puzzles in these games.

    edit: Damnit, I over thought a puzzle.
    The one time the driver of the train doesn't count as a rider of the train!

    double edit: Man, these puzzles are cheap sometimes.
    Damn you, lion! The rabbit was your friend!

    cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My pets name is Hidalgo.

    MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

    Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

    3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In games like these, I typically use my real name for my character and then Lunker for pets. :) I'm about 40 puzzles and 3.5 hours in, and I'm loving it. It helps that I've been studying for the GREs for the past month, so this game genuinely feels like an interactive study guide for me; Kaplan should totally get in on this kind of software.

    Even though I'm tearing my hair out over the occasional sliding puzzle, I find this game (and the first one) very relaxing. No time constraints, no health or inventory to speak of, if I want to skip a puzzle I can come back to it later, there's almost always enough hint coins for me not to worry about stealing some hints—and the serene color palette and gentlemanly decorum are just kind of soothing. A great way to warm up my bus commute to and from work. <3

    Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i just went and picked up the first one throught eh toysrus deal. figured it was worth 14 bucks

    mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    The only thing that bugs me is that Luke's default facial expression during conversations looks like he's watching a grisly murder in paralyzed shock just off camera.

    That, and during one of the early cinemas there was a close up of Layton's face, and all I could think of was:
    Robert_Shaw_as_Quint_in_the_movie_%27Jaws%27_%281976%29.jpg


    And, you know, the thing about Layton... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he asks ya to solve a puzzle, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'.

    Absolutely fantastic. :^: :lol:

    Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lucky. The hamster's name is Lucky.

    Houn on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aistan wrote: »
    Lux782 wrote: »
    I named my guy Pip.

    Anyway I failed to make some tea for this chick. I do have another chance to make her tea, right?

    If you leave the screen and come back a little later she'll be thirsty again. Or sometimes if you leave the screen and come right back they are thirsty immediately... i'm not sure how it works.

    You can try again though, yes.

    Hmm, this certainly is a new mechanic. I don't want to do anything with the hamster just yet, since the stuff goes away. Now I hear there is tea you have to make for people? I just started making teas and was relieved when i found out that the tea ingredients don't go away.

    cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aistan wrote: »
    Lux782 wrote: »
    I named my guy Pip.

    Anyway I failed to make some tea for this chick. I do have another chance to make her tea, right?

    If you leave the screen and come back a little later she'll be thirsty again. Or sometimes if you leave the screen and come right back they are thirsty immediately... i'm not sure how it works.

    You can try again though, yes.

    Hmm, this certainly is a new mechanic. I don't want to do anything with the hamster just yet, since the stuff goes away. Now I hear there is tea you have to make for people? I just started making teas and was relieved when i found out that the tea ingredients don't go away.

    None of the hamster items "go away". If nothing happens or you don't make the distance, you can just rearrange the items.

    The really odd thing about the hamster game is that I finished it long ago, but I'm still getting items for it

    The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Hmm, what's a good name for a pet?

    I named mine Porkins.

    Mine is Nibbles. (He has gender issues...)

    Lux782 wrote: »
    No. 52
    Utterly retarded. When it rains its fucking cloudy. Then they expect you to assume that the previous Saturday was cloudy? I call BS. Wasted 3 hint coins on a retarded ass puzzle.

    AGREED. Fuck that noise.

    Vyolynce on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aistan wrote: »
    Lux782 wrote: »
    I named my guy Pip.

    Anyway I failed to make some tea for this chick. I do have another chance to make her tea, right?

    If you leave the screen and come back a little later she'll be thirsty again. Or sometimes if you leave the screen and come right back they are thirsty immediately... i'm not sure how it works.

    You can try again though, yes.

    Hmm, this certainly is a new mechanic. I don't want to do anything with the hamster just yet, since the stuff goes away. Now I hear there is tea you have to make for people? I just started making teas and was relieved when i found out that the tea ingredients don't go away.

    None of the hamster items "go away". If nothing happens or you don't make the distance, you can just rearrange the items.

    The really odd thing about the hamster game is that I finished it long ago, but I'm still getting items for it

    Yeah, the items don't "go away". Also, I'd recommend keeping up on it:
    When you get him trim, he searches out hint coins for you a la the robodog from Layton 1.

    As for the Teas, if you mess up, just enter and leave the screen a few times. There seems to be a bit of a RNG element to when they get thristy, so if you just hop between screens a few times, it will usually come back.

    Houn on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Maybe it's me, but there do seem to be more...bullshit puzzles this time around. And not fun nebulous, bullshit nebulous.

    cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Maybe it's me, but there do seem to be more...bullshit puzzles this time around. And not fun nebulous, bullshit nebulous.
    Tastes Snarky to me.

    "Oh ho ho, you can't figure out how many loops would get knotted up by pulling the two ends of this tangled cable?"
    "SURPRISE! THAT'S BECAUSE NO LOOPS WOULD FORM! YOU DUMB FUCKER!"
    That and too many bullshit Where's Waldo/Spot The Difference/Trace The Twisting Paths puzzles. The devs seem to have forgotten that they're putting this on a system with a screen size of like 2x2 inches instead of a 5x10 book page.

    EDIT: I wanted to name my dude Alfredo, but the game wouldn't recognise f for whatever reason. :( Wound up just callin' him Dale.

    EDIT: And speakin' of the hamster, what's the japanese equivilent of Woody Allen? I'm just dying to hear how he sounds in the original japanese release.

    Sorenson on
  • Options
    JeTmAnJeTmAn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My hamster's name is Percival. I've got him to level 3 so far.

    JeTmAn on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    EDIT: I wanted to name my dude Alfredo, but the game wouldn't recognise f for whatever reason. :( Wound up just callin' him Dale.

    Not that it comes up very often, but double check the caps option if there's one. I had the same problem at the first name entry screen, wondering why the hell it's percieving a capital L as an H. Turns out the game is clever enough to know the difference between capital and lower case, but not clever enough to... well not be clever enough to do it.

    The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
Sign In or Register to comment.