Options

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

123468

Posts

  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Argh... where the hell is Puzzle 90?

    I've got all the Camera puzzles, I've given everyone their damned tea, Nibbles is a champion, I've solved the mystery of the Elysian Box, and I have 137 solved puzzles... of 138 in the actual story. #90 is missing and I'm not in the mood for a pixel-hunt over the entire town.

    Anyone care to point me towards the correct screen to find it?

    Vyolynce on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Argh... where the hell is Puzzle 90?

    I've got all the Camera puzzles, I've given everyone their damned tea, Nibbles is a champion, I've solved the mystery of the Elysian Box, and I have 137 solved puzzles... of 138 in the actual story. #90 is missing and I'm not in the mood for a pixel-hunt over the entire town.

    Anyone care to point me towards the correct screen to find it?
    If it helps, the puzzle name is called "The mysterious fountain". :)
    If that wasn't a big enough clue, it's the fountain in front of the museum.

    The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ...just...fuck "Disappearing Act" and fuck "Knight's Tour".

    That is all.

    Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zython wrote: »
    ...just...fuck "Disappearing Act" and fuck "Knight's Tour".

    That is all.

    Those are pretty annoying, but the sliding box puzzles are still the worst. I found (a hidden) one worth 80 picarats that wrecked me for like an entire night.

    Wolfman: Thanks for the tip. The name should be enough. :)

    Vyolynce on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, just made it to the end.
    Perhaps Nintendo can find another use for the Prof's fencing ability?

    I have two matchsticks.
    world_w_01.gif

    BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Story Beat'd.
    1. Layton is a fucking pimp. Gentleman, Genius, Fencer Extraordinare.
    2. It was all a shared hallucination. LAME.

    Now, to find the puzzles I missed.

    Houn on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I pulled out Curious Village last night and was doing the leftover wifi puzzles - there are two in particular that are egregious bullshit - one about what creature a knight fears and one about a school where everyone has to bow to each other.
    In the school one you have to remember than in Japan teachers don't bow to students.

    Delzhand on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Story Beat'd.
    1. Layton is a fucking pimp. Gentleman, Genius, Fencer Extraordinare.
    2. It was all a shared hallucination. LAME.
    Yeah, the whole "it was hallucinogenic gas" thing was a load of bullshit. I was thinking along the lines of that Old Man Herzen wound up striking a vein of uranium or something and that his son was some kind of perpetually-young mutated bishie madman. Definetily turned things down a note for me. Between that and the "fuck you" nature of some of the puzzles and some of the characterization (or lack thereof) this wasn't exactly on-par with Curious Village.

    Sorenson on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I beat the main 150 puzzles. Knights tour isnt that hard I found a pattern that if you make, makes the movement very easy. Disappearing act didnt give me much trouble until act 6, holy crap.

    For the hampster, my record is now 52. I cant think of anything that would give me much more then that.

    Lux782 on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Story Beat'd.
    1. Layton is a fucking pimp. Gentleman, Genius, Fencer Extraordinare.
    2. It was all a shared hallucination. LAME.
    Yeah, the whole "it was hallucinogenic gas" thing was a load of bullshit. I was thinking along the lines of that Old Man Herzen wound up striking a vein of uranium or something and that his son was some kind of perpetually-young mutated bishie madman. Definetily turned things down a note for me. Between that and the "fuck you" nature of some of the puzzles and some of the characterization (or lack thereof) this wasn't exactly on-par with Curious Village.

    True story, I was thinking...
    It was Saronite, and it was going to end with a puzzle off between Layton and Yogg-Saron.

    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Moving to this from Blazblue has really taken me to the limit of my ability to stand characters/dialogue that goes way out of the way to avoid revealing plot.
    Oh, Layton! I'm so glad I've caught up with you, I've been keeping something from you....
    This town has a horrible secret!
    ...maybe you should go to the castle to find out what it is.

    BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hiimdaisy Professor Layton Comic
    sunrise.png

    Zerokku on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ha yeah thats pretty much what happened to me on that puzzle.

    So I got the game today, and I think I'm just going to do a few puzzles each day so that I don't blast through it too quick. Who knows when we'll see the next one...

    earthwormadam on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lux782 wrote: »
    I beat the main 150 puzzles. Knights tour isnt that hard I found a pattern that if you make, makes the movement very easy. Disappearing act didnt give me much trouble until act 6, holy crap.

    For Disappearing Act 6, I was consistently able to get my board to the exact same formation as DA4 and then absolutely could not remember how I solved that one the first time. So I quit, loaded up DA4 (#104, I think) and repeated it until I knew what to do. :)

    Thanks to using hints on two of the puzzles in the Sweetheart's Room I've solved every puzzle except the last one.

    Called "The Diabolic Box".

    It earns this name. I will be working on this one for a week.


    Sorenson wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Story Beat'd.
    1. Layton is a fucking pimp. Gentleman, Genius, Fencer Extraordinare.
    2. It was all a shared hallucination. LAME.
    Yeah, the whole "it was hallucinogenic gas" thing was a load of bullshit. I was thinking along the lines of that Old Man Herzen wound up striking a vein of uranium or something and that his son was some kind of perpetually-young mutated bishie madman. Definetily turned things down a note for me. Between that and the "fuck you" nature of some of the puzzles and some of the characterization (or lack thereof) this wasn't exactly on-par with Curious Village.

    While I agree with the general sentiment about the reveal, is that really any less likely than the reveal in the first game?
    An entire town of clockwork people? Seriously?

    Vyolynce on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yes.
    I can buy clockwork people. It fit within the bounds of the world they'd created.

    How, exactly, did EVERYONE that went to Folsense have the EXACT SAME hallucination, INCLUDING hallucinating the same conversations with people that didn't exist? That's the part that bothers me. Fairly lame reveal.

    Houn on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Yes.
    I can buy clockwork people. It fit within the bounds of the world they'd created.

    How, exactly, did EVERYONE that went to Folsense have the EXACT SAME hallucination, INCLUDING hallucinating the same conversations with people that didn't exist? That's the part that bothers me. Fairly lame reveal.
    Do we actually know the people didn't exist? I get the sense they did since they allude to real events. We don't actually see the town again after the illusion is lifted since we go from the castle to Katia and gramps at Dropstone so there could easily be a town of people pissed that their homes suddenly look so crappy.

    Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

    Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I posted the sliding block puzzle solver in this very thread, you jerks!

    And Knight's Tour is ridiculously easy. Just stick to the sides.

    Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Yes.
    I can buy clockwork people. It fit within the bounds of the world they'd created.

    How, exactly, did EVERYONE that went to Folsense have the EXACT SAME hallucination, INCLUDING hallucinating the same conversations with people that didn't exist? That's the part that bothers me. Fairly lame reveal.
    Do we actually know the people didn't exist? I get the sense they did since they allude to real events. We don't actually see the town again after the illusion is lifted since we go from the castle to Katia and gramps at Dropstone so there could easily be a town of people pissed that their homes suddenly look so crappy.

    Yes, again.
    Layton says in part of the ending sequence that "the town and all of it's people" were part of the hallucination.

    Hallucinations drank up all my tea!

    Houn on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, that bugged the hell out of me about the ending.
    Shared hallucination due to gas is just too big a cup of tea to drink. And even if most of the people were real, it's not like the entire illusion just shattered instantly. Layton and the group saw past it because they eventually realized it was fake. That doesn't mean the shopkeep on the other end of town suddenly realizes he's living in a shack. And just who exactly was real and there? And how do they all have exactly the SAME illusion? It just didn't add up. I know this is coming from a series with a clockwork town and all, but they were grounding the plot at least somewhere in the vacinity of plausibility. I knew they weren't going to say "Oh he really IS a vampire and it's a magic town" and go pure supernatural, but shared illusion due to gas is... well too much.

    Not to mention that they totally ignored the clues they set up to pull it out of their ass and wasted a good plot. What about the mysterious metal they mined up? And then people started getting sick. Dude, you just set up a plot involving radiation poisoning, and I totally thought that was the route they were going to take. The Elysian box was made out of the same metal, and people who opened it died because it was radioactive. It was completely what I thought Layton was going to say, up until he said "...hallucinigetic gas", at which point I went "o_O".

    Oh well though, it wasn't a bad game, and all things considering, the plot was really good. I bawled up like a little girl at the end.

    The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RE: Certain characters and their roles:
    One thing that really annoys me is how they threw in Don Paolo for absolutly no fuckin' reason whatsoever, not to mention did so in a way that's both already been used and which really breaks suspension of disbelief (he disguised himself as Flora? Really?). And then after the big reveal they run him out the door and that's the last you see of him, no attempt by him to infiltrate Herzen castle to find its treasure, no attempt to smash Layton once and for all with his uranium-powered clockwork giant robot only to get blown up in a nuclear explosion or something, nothin'. And then there's Flora, whose involvement in the game basically went from shadowy mystery woman to extra baggage to locked in a god damn cow shed. Why do I get the feeling the writer isn't exactly the most modern when it comes to gender roles?

    Sorenson on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    RE: Certain characters and their roles:
    One thing that really annoys me is how they threw in Don Paolo for absolutly no fuckin' reason whatsoever, not to mention did so in a way that's both already been used and which really breaks suspension of disbelief (he disguised himself as Flora? Really?). And then after the big reveal they run him out the door and that's the last you see of him, no attempt by him to infiltrate Herzen castle to find its treasure, no attempt to smash Layton once and for all with his uranium-powered clockwork giant robot only to get blown up in a nuclear explosion or something, nothin'. And then there's Flora, whose involvement in the game basically went from shadowy mystery woman to extra baggage to locked in a god damn cow shed. Why do I get the feeling the writer isn't exactly the most modern when it comes to gender roles?
    Actually, I thought him disguised as Flora was hilarious, especially when you see him take the costume off and he's suddenly about a foot taller.

    Agreed though on him having fuck all to do with the plot.

    The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    RE: Certain characters and their roles:
    One thing that really annoys me is how they threw in Don Paolo for absolutly no fuckin' reason whatsoever, not to mention did so in a way that's both already been used and which really breaks suspension of disbelief (he disguised himself as Flora? Really?). And then after the big reveal they run him out the door and that's the last you see of him, no attempt by him to infiltrate Herzen castle to find its treasure, no attempt to smash Layton once and for all with his uranium-powered clockwork giant robot only to get blown up in a nuclear explosion or something, nothin'. And then there's Flora, whose involvement in the game basically went from shadowy mystery woman to extra baggage to locked in a god damn cow shed. Why do I get the feeling the writer isn't exactly the most modern when it comes to gender roles?
    Actually, I thought him disguised as Flora was hilarious, especially when you see him take the costume off and he's suddenly about a foot taller.

    Agreed though on him having fuck all to do with the plot.
    It would've worked if it'd been used for a bit of metahumor or something, but nobody batted an eye that a full-grown man was able to disguise himself as a ten-year-old girl with naught but a rubber mask. I was actually hoping for a fully-animated thing that shows him using some kind of holography or something, but nope, just the one frame. Sammy or Barton or whatever the bobby's name was would've worked quite well.

    Also, am I the only one who was going the "Herzen dug up some radioactive materials" route by thinking that the town itself had only reached its splendorous state recently and that many of the photos looked old and nasty because of how radiation supposedly affects film paper and chemicals?

    Sorenson on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    RE: Certain characters and their roles:
    One thing that really annoys me is how they threw in Don Paolo for absolutly no fuckin' reason whatsoever, not to mention did so in a way that's both already been used and which really breaks suspension of disbelief (he disguised himself as Flora? Really?). And then after the big reveal they run him out the door and that's the last you see of him, no attempt by him to infiltrate Herzen castle to find its treasure, no attempt to smash Layton once and for all with his uranium-powered clockwork giant robot only to get blown up in a nuclear explosion or something, nothin'. And then there's Flora, whose involvement in the game basically went from shadowy mystery woman to extra baggage to locked in a god damn cow shed. Why do I get the feeling the writer isn't exactly the most modern when it comes to gender roles?
    Actually, I thought him disguised as Flora was hilarious, especially when you see him take the costume off and he's suddenly about a foot taller.

    Agreed though on him having fuck all to do with the plot.

    My favorite part about that bit?
    During the credits, there's a scene where Luke puts on the mask. Flora looks horrified.

    Vyolynce on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think that the solution to "Which one is the Hotel" was particularly frustrating and unintuitive.

    Langly on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Langly wrote: »
    I think that the solution to "Which one is the Hotel" was particularly frustrating and unintuitive.

    How so? It was practically written right in front of you.

    Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I picked up both Laytons the other day. I am loving The Curious Village and super thrilled that I still have so much Layton to look forward to.

    But damn, some of the puzzles are killer. I had to take a break last night whilst attempting to solve the one where you have to help 4 people who hate eachother get to work without running into eachother.

    Silas Brown on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    I think that the solution to "Which one is the Hotel" was particularly frustrating and unintuitive.

    How so? It was practically written right in front of you.

    because i was looking for the number of windows, how many lights were on, and the shape of the building, rather than hidden messages in the building structure. Something that would actually give evidence to the building being a hotel.

    Langly on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Langly wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    I think that the solution to "Which one is the Hotel" was particularly frustrating and unintuitive.

    How so? It was practically written right in front of you.

    because i was looking for the number of windows, how many lights were on, and the shape of the building, rather than hidden messages in the building structure. Something that would actually give evidence to the building being a hotel.

    Yeah, I don't know any real life hotel that would do that. One that wanted to stay in business, that is. I picked the right place because it was night and the ground floor light was on, which I assumed was a lobby.

    cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Langly wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    I think that the solution to "Which one is the Hotel" was particularly frustrating and unintuitive.

    How so? It was practically written right in front of you.

    because i was looking for the number of windows, how many lights were on, and the shape of the building, rather than hidden messages in the building structure. Something that would actually give evidence to the building being a hotel.

    Yeah, I don't know any real life hotel that would do that. One that wanted to stay in business, that is. I picked the right place because it was night and the ground floor light was on, which I assumed was a lobby.

    Layton != real life. The endgame spoilers above should attest to that.

    Vyolynce on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    I think that the solution to "Which one is the Hotel" was particularly frustrating and unintuitive.

    How so? It was practically written right in front of you.

    because i was looking for the number of windows, how many lights were on, and the shape of the building, rather than hidden messages in the building structure. Something that would actually give evidence to the building being a hotel.

    Yeah, I don't know any real life hotel that would do that. One that wanted to stay in business, that is. I picked the right place because it was night and the ground floor light was on, which I assumed was a lobby.

    Layton != real life. The endgame spoilers above should attest to that.
    Yeah, but it's also a puzzle game that relies (or should be) on on logic and deduction using real-world knowledge and stuff. The hotel puzzle was just another stupid Where's Waldo/Magic Picture dealie, which as has been said the game has something of a problem with.

    Sorenson on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jeez, that hotel answer practically SCREAMED out at me. Spotted that in 1 second. I couldn't "unsee" it, it was that dang obvious.

    The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Welp I'm stuck. Chapter 5 spoilers
    I'm looking for the last photo scrap and I can't find it anywhere. I've looked all over town and even checked a walkthrough which says the last piece is at a broken gate, except I can't find one there or I already unknowingly picked it up (most likely the latter). Any comprehensive list of all the photo scrap locations outside of the alley?

    darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Welp I'm stuck. Chapter 5 spoilers
    I'm looking for the last photo scrap and I can't find it anywhere. I've looked all over town and even checked a walkthrough which says the last piece is at a broken gate, except I can't find one there or I already unknowingly picked it up (most likely the latter). Any comprehensive list of all the photo scrap locations outside of the alley?

    I'm pretty sure you have to trigger an event that makes that item appear at that location.

    Try going back to the hotel, talking to people, etc. That might help. I think I spoke to the little kid or the Andy Capp lookin' guy to trigger it.

    Taramoor on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Welp I'm stuck. Chapter 5 spoilers
    I'm looking for the last photo scrap and I can't find it anywhere. I've looked all over town and even checked a walkthrough which says the last piece is at a broken gate, except I can't find one there or I already unknowingly picked it up (most likely the latter). Any comprehensive list of all the photo scrap locations outside of the alley?

    I'm pretty sure you have to trigger an event that makes that item appear at that location.

    Try going back to the hotel, talking to people, etc. That might help. I think I spoke to the little kid or the Andy Capp lookin' guy to trigger it.

    It worked.

    Now I feel stupid.

    darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Welp I'm stuck. Chapter 5 spoilers
    I'm looking for the last photo scrap and I can't find it anywhere. I've looked all over town and even checked a walkthrough which says the last piece is at a broken gate, except I can't find one there or I already unknowingly picked it up (most likely the latter). Any comprehensive list of all the photo scrap locations outside of the alley?

    I'm pretty sure you have to trigger an event that makes that item appear at that location.

    Try going back to the hotel, talking to people, etc. That might help. I think I spoke to the little kid or the Andy Capp lookin' guy to trigger it.

    It worked.

    Now I feel stupid.

    Don't. It wasn't very obvious.

    Houn on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok, this Hiimdaisy comic had me in tears for quite some time.

    NEAR END GAME SPOILERS
    flora.png

    Somestickguy on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Secret Door of St. Mystere:
    early concept art in which Layton looks like a total buffoon

    Delzhand on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Finished the main story today...

    I guess it's a little more nonsensical than the last game.

    cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh man.

    Puzzle 118 is hard

    Jragghen on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Oh man.

    Puzzle 118 is hard

    Which one was that again?

    I'm still working on 153. I haven't put a lot of time into it, because it just frustrates the hell out of me.

    Vyolynce on
Sign In or Register to comment.