As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E Eberron] Discussion/Info/Q&A Thread. [NSF56K]

2»

• Options
    TSI|AwesomeTSI|Awesome Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maticore wrote: »
    IIRC Baker said that Lycanthropy was hereditary, THEN it became like we know it - transferred through bites.

It's also noted in several sources that, pointing out the relatively low power level of eberron, the fact that A. Most of the lycanthropes during that period also were turning evil, even the good ones, due to some source of corruption, and B. Lycanthropes were becoming way more common, this was actually a huge source of danger for the population. The average werebear was kind of a giant badass, with 6 bonus hitdice, 29 strength, and DR 10/silver. Not a lot of people in Eberron could fight that, and all it would take is one bite to turn into one.

There were definitely some misguided notions in the crusade, but it's easy to discount just how huge a threat it was. I believe the books note that, far from a lycanthrope slaughter, it was a battle against near-impossible odds.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is the dwarf dead, or just that smelly?

I really can't tell.

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is there much information around about Riedra? The Eberron Wiki I found had almost nothing, but it was one of the places that interested me the most.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    3.5 had Secrets of Sarlona, which had a ton of stuff on Riedra.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Artificers are pretty exciting.

Maticore wrote: »
    IIRC Baker said that Lycanthropy was hereditary, THEN it became like we know it - transferred through bites.

It's also noted in several sources that, pointing out the relatively low power level of eberron, the fact that A. Most of the lycanthropes during that period also were turning evil, even the good ones, due to some source of corruption, and B. Lycanthropes were becoming way more common, this was actually a huge source of danger for the population. The average werebear was kind of a giant badass, with 6 bonus hitdice, 29 strength, and DR 10/silver. Not a lot of people in Eberron could fight that, and all it would take is one bite to turn into one.

There were definitely some misguided notions in the crusade, but it's easy to discount just how huge a threat it was. I believe the books note that, far from a lycanthrope slaughter, it was a battle against near-impossible odds.

Why would people NOT want to be a werebear?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    TSI|AwesomeTSI|Awesome Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Because if I remember reading correctly succumbing to the curse (i.e. letting it become permanent/not fighting it) leads to the complete transformation of your mind and personality. It basically makes you become a different person. So it wouldn't so much you becoming a badass as someone new becoming a badass.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Because if I remember reading correctly succumbing to the curse (i.e. letting it become permanent/not fighting it) leads to the complete transformation of your mind and personality. It basically makes you become a different person. So it wouldn't so much you becoming a badass as someone new becoming a badass.

Oh.

Tough Call.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, I'm starting a campaign of this pretty soon, and one of my players wants to be a kenku. Anyone got a good idea of how to shoehorn that race into the setting without it just being "there's birdmen in them thar hills"?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would put them in Stormreach or the upper parts of Sharn--they would perhaps work as a creepy cult trying to restore flight to a radiant idol, or a nasty Dickensian pickpocket gang.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    82100.jpg

Erm... what? I think I passed out a bit there. Half-Orcs really make a good whiskey.

Ravenfolk?

Aye, they're about Sharn. Not too uncommon, but they're odd enough. Just watch your purse.
    Kenku were semi-officially adopted into Sharn as a race in 3E's Sharn: City of Towers. The dwarf is officially back for questions. My Eberron books for 4E are in the mail so I really don't know what's in there, but I still own all there was for third!

Maticore on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Caulk Bite wrote: »
    So, I'm starting a campaign of this pretty soon, and one of my players wants to be a kenku. Anyone got a good idea of how to shoehorn that race into the setting without it just being "there's birdmen in them thar hills"?
    There was some fluff about a network of Kenku spies with their claws in a number of important cities, including Sharn. If that particular angle doesn't work, then maybe say that they live in the dense forests of the Eldeen Reaches and/or Droaam, and it's not a stretch to imagine members of an avian race coming to live in the City of Towers.

Also: biggest disappointment with the ECG? No stats for the Carcass Crab :(

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Also: biggest disappointment with the ECG? No stats for the Carcass Crab :(

Wizards had better add this in a Dungeon article or I will be disappointed beyond all measure.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I keep hoping someone will post a conversion in the 4E Discussion or Monster Builder threads. Alas!

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I keep hoping someone will post a conversion in the 4E Discussion or Monster Builder threads. Alas!

Should it be a Solo?

I think it should be a Solo.

It should also impale PCs on its carapace.

Maybe I will make this.

Maticore on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What book is the crab from?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Eberron Campaign Setting. I don't know the page number, even though I was just looking at it this morning >.<

-edit- but I do know that it was on the page opposite the Ascendant Councillor!

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If someone posts me the old 3E stats I will convert it to 4E later.

Edit: I take no responsibility for my own actions if I give it vulnerability to critical hits.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'll try to get the 3E stats posted.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    All I really need in terms of its stats (as most will be different) is its general attacks, defenses and special abilities (and any keywords it had).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Turns out the Caracass Crab was one of the monsters that Wizards previewed when Eberron was still shiny and new. Behold!

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Handy!

Edit: Yeah I can see how I'll convert that. Definitely going for a lurker type monster.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Caulk Bite wrote: »
    There was some fluff about a network of Kenku spies with their claws in a number of important cities, including Sharn.

For the record, we're going with that route. Thanks for the replies, fellas!

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png