As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Because CC Changes and Norden Watch Weekend Rule

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Melkster wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    Was WoW your first MMO?

Yes...

Kinda.

Does Guild Wars count?

Sure why not. At any rate, all the archetypes tank/dps/rdps/healer are all there, just like WoW or EQ or what have you.

I must confess, after burning the hell out from Everquest I had absolutely no desire to play WoW, so I didn't. As far as I can tell though a class like the Warrior Priest of Disciple of Khaine (hybrid melee/healer) should be different. I'm not sure if WoW had that or not though.

Really though, playing all the classes until you find one you really like can't hurt. And as long as you're on servers with lots of re-rolls you should find enough action in the RvR lakes and scens to progress though the game.

As for the PvE stuff, I really consider it secondary. It's jut like any other game in the respect.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Melkster:

The first levels are always boring as they're introducing your bread-and-butter fighting style, but they're offset but going pretty damn fast.

You can make them go even faster in a few ways:

1. Earn a couple days of rest EXP by not playing, to double your exp gain when you are. You can only hold 1.5x your current level's amount of exp, so don't quit for a month and expect rest all the way to 40.

2. Scenarios. Scenarios. Scenarios. I think on my DoK, I got to level 3 or 4 in my first scen. Just queue up as soon as you log in, do some quests while you wait, and requeue as soon as it's over and go back to questing. Even at level 16, I'm getting about 3-5% of my exp bar per each scenario.

3. Team up with a friend. Ask around for someone in the guild who wants to start a new alt, or find someone you can stand to play with who just started out in your area. Not only is it quicker turnover and more fun to level with a friend, but now you can start doing Public Quests, which give great exp and pretty decent rewards if you do them 3 times or so.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SF_Dhalsim wrote: »
    So the attack on IC was repulsed thankfully without much of a hitch and I can see how people can say that the city siege just isn't fun. I mean I guess it does lose it's awesomeness after doing it a couple times, this is to say I think they're trying too much with too little. I think they should focus on one aspect or the other- PvP or PvE. This whole mish-mash of the two is not altogether unpleasant but it's definitely what most players didn't want I mean they aren't exactly flaunting their PvE side right now anyways.

At the moment I have no earthly clue how they could engineer up something that would be much more fun for both parties, and by parties I am not referring to those who play PvE exclusive (who from now on shall be aptly named "Enviromentalists") and the ones who play PvP exclusively (who shall now be "Whoremongers") but instead Order and Destruction. As it stands right now the time for no-structured MMO's loosely based on the all-father Ultimo Online and Father DAoC has, as some of the developers call it: "Freedom Confusion" (link will be up for this soon). Freedom Confusion has as been explained by our own Josh Dresher (either comedically or serisously I do not know) is when players have too much world to play in and not enough "rules" and as such they start strong through the tutorial teirs (hence forth known as T1 and T2) and slowly crash and burn as the Real tiers of T3 and T4 rip them asunder from the inside with aptly placed torpedos in the hull of their ship they call real gaming.

As the link would deduce these people are that crash and burn are in the Enviromentalists. For those that question this statement how many people have you seen and Inevitible City or Altdorf that their armour looks exclusively PvE'd for? Your answer? Not many. In fact I would challenge anyone to find me one screenshot or person that you see in a city thats rank 40 and is wearing nothing but PvE gear. Actually don't do that unless you hate yourself. Now we come to the meat of the matter: if there are not many people who PvE why did Mythic give them an entire freaking zone? Answer? The daily double! Mythic is in a crisis. I am not saying that they are totally screwed and just need to give up quite the opposite here. They are trying to do too much at the moment, I'm pretty sure that if they were to consolidate all of their developers into fixing just one aspect of the game, you know the one that is their selling point, that they would actually get alot more love letters from players.

This isn't me /rage quitting either it's just an astute observation over the last two months that has finely taken a written form. But Dhalsim there's no reason for this no provocation nothing why do you write this? Why now I was enjoying my coffee and scones?! Because of this shit right here. Oh come on another Bright Wizard hatred post??? Not what I would call a friendly post on BW I will agree but if you look at the talents... you will notice that many of the changes they made to the class are ignored if you toy with your tactics right. Meaning all of the badassery of BW didn't change almost at all except with roots/snares etc. But damage, radii on AoE's can be basically ignored something our destruction mirror cannot.

So my fellow mouths and mancers and obsidian spurs I bid you farewell for now (not from the game as it is fun to play the under dog) but from this post as it seeps into the back of your heads that only one dev has said he plays destruction.

Keep an eye on the Herald - something of interest should be up either today or Monday. Expect changes. Soon.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    stop doing that Rosebud_128!

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also - people will dig the Live Event. And they'll love <redacted>. And they'll really love <can't talk about yet>, and <more stuff that people really want to see>, and <stuff people have been begging for for a long time>, and.....you get the idea.

Just....don't give up on the game, ok? Everyone is going to be happy about the upcoming stuff, very soon.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What's the deal with the undercroft, has that been in T2 and up for awhile now? I que'd up last night, got in, and apparently the level range is 12-31? It was a really crazy, fun scenario. I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Fryhole wrote: »
    What's the deal with the undercroft, has that been in T2 and up for awhile now? I que'd up last night, got in, and apparently the level range is 12-31? It was a really crazy, fun scenario. I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

I thought it was all tiers except T4.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Sigh. I want to like a new MMO with PvP, but I keep getting bored ... And falling asleep. They really need to make the new player experiences much more dynamic and interesting. The WoW archetype of reading through pages of quest text to static NPCs in a static world has grown to become really quite boring. It feels more like a scavenger hunt in a theme park simulation than a realized world.

Anyway, my question is this: What is the most outlandish, completely unique Warhammer Online class? Something completely different from anything I've ever played before in WoW. Go!

Also, any tips on not falling asleep during the leveling experience?

It really sounds like you don't want to like a new PvP MMO. For one, you didn't do any PvP. It also sounds like you don't have any interest in the lore, as you didn't know the opposing side of the Empire was Chaos, and that they were the ones you end up killing in the first few Empire quests. (You wanted to play the pillaging/ransacking side but didn't try Chaos.)

So, my advice, harsh as it sounds, is to stop newbin it up and actually read about the game you're playing. :P Mythic's website really has a lot of info about the game, which can't be said for most. After you sink about 2 hours in, you'll have a lot more skills and a better feel for the game.

Also, this:
    20060410.jpg

Fryhole on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Well I didn't see anybody under rank 12, and a few days back when I was actually in T1 (Wednesday) the undercroft wasn't an option to que for. :?:

Fryhole on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Well I didn't see anybody under rank 12, and a few days back when I was actually in T1 (Wednesday) the undercroft wasn't an option to que for. :?:

IC was opened on Wednesday too? That scenario only opens when the city is under attack. I don't know if it lets T1 queue or if there's a T1 specific scenario queue or whatever.

Malkor on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also - people will dig the Live Event. And they'll love <redacted>. And they'll really love <can't talk about yet>, and <more stuff that people really want to see>, and <stuff people have been begging for for a long time>, and.....you get the idea.

Just....don't give up on the game, ok? Everyone is going to be happy about the upcoming stuff, very soon.

You are the devil.

If my blackguard/magus/marauder get love I will be stupid happy.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    darkmayo wrote: »

You are the devil.

If my blackguard/magus/marauder get love I will be stupid happy.

I thought class balance wasn't going to be fixed soon. This is what I got form the forums:
    "Well, I definitely want to convey the fact that changes aren't off the table, in fact a lot of them are being considered, however timeline wise, we're not talking immediate future. 1.3.1 is going to be focusing on bug fixes and bug fixes only for Combat and Careers, which will go a long ways towards helping us get a good fix on where we need to focus."

Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • Options
    WolferaWolfera Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

IC was opened on Wednesday too? That scenario only opens when the city is under attack. I don't know if it lets T1 queue or if there's a T1 specific scenario queue or whatever.

My understanding for it was that Undercroft opens up only when IC is under seige, and it is a scenario for levels 12-31 (actually I thought it was 8-31, but I could be wrong). Everyone gets the level boost up to later T3, just like you get in other scenarios. However, the scenario contributes a significant amount of VP necessary to flip IC so you have to depend a lot on the lower tiers doing their job. And just because everyone's stats are boosted to level 28, doesn't mean their gear or number of skills are equal to level 28, which leads to some serious imbalance issues when one side is all level 12, and the other side isn't....

Wolfera on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think my house has cooled enough I can turn my PC on again. Time to get back to leveling!

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    TriggerhappypilotTriggerhappypilot Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What Server is the Destruction guild currently on? i only see at most 3 people on the iron rock one.

Triggerhappypilot on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Iron Rock.

If you're looking now, 3 people in the middle of the day isn't strange. Last week it was ten to a dozen at primetime, on average.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So if my buddy's leveling a Chosen, what would be a good duo class with that? I've already got a DoK at 24, so if whatever I choose now doesn't work well, I can switch to that after a bit. Right now I'm debating Witch Elf or Choppa, leaning Witch Elf, but haven't played either to a very high level.

Bobble on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dhalsim you could have saved me a lot of time but just writing "LotD killed ORvR for awhile until the shine wore off but the shine has indeed worn off, Fucking bright wizards and olol devs all play Order!"

I called the first one days after LotD launched and I don't agree with the last two, in fact I disagree vehemently, but I would have just shrugged.

But no.

You made me decipher that post instead.

You ass. :P

Melkster: Queue up for some scenarios using the orange button on your minimap or head to Nordland/Norsca and hit upt the lake for some RvR. The PvE stuff is mildly interesting in that the flavor text for quests can be pretty entertaining but if you've done PvE grinding before and aren't a fan of doing it again, well, it's still PvE grinding ;-)

Edit: Trigger there's 5 of us on now, if you count fellow alliance members there's 20 of us and both those numbers will go up as people get home from work and whatnot. :)

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bobble wrote: »
    So if my buddy's leveling a Chosen, what would be a good duo class with that? I've already got a DoK at 24, so if whatever I choose now doesn't work well, I can switch to that after a bit. Right now I'm debating Witch Elf or Choppa, leaning Witch Elf, but haven't played either to a very high level.

A Shaman would be good, especially when your bud gets guard. As a shammy you can switch between mad dps yo and enough healing to take stuff down and more importantly stay alive.

Malkor on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

A Shaman would be good, especially when your bud gets guard. As a shammy you can switch between mad dps yo and enough healing to take stuff down and more importantly stay alive.
    Yeah we got far enough with the IB+WP combo to learn the utter destruction of that combo once guard comes into play. Rank 10-11 was esp fun... 5 destro? 2 of us can handle it. :mrgreen:

Was lookin' to try DPS since I always end up being the healer. Did WEs and/or Choppas get hit too hard in the patch?

Bobble on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yeah we got far enough with the IB+WP combo to learn the utter destruction of that combo once guard comes into play. Rank 10-11 was esp fun... 5 destro? 2 of us can handle it. :mrgreen:

Was lookin' to try DPS since I always end up being the healer. Did WEs and/or Choppas get hit too hard in the patch?

the Shaman has WE/Choppa levels of single target DPS if you spec it for DPS and gear it for DPS. AND you get to throw heals/regens every once in a while for better synergy.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Choppas are really good if played right, and are amazing if there's a decent healer around.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Was WoW your first MMO?

Yes...

Kinda.

Does Guild Wars count?

The first couple levels are boring, but give greenskins a shot. Greenskins have, by far some of the best quests and quest text in game. Try a choppa or a squig herder. Everyone loves squig herders.

Detharin on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If no one's playing Candymancers anymore, anyone mind promoting my character? I'd like to trade various warlord/invader stuff I've collected for WP stuff in the bank.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Detharin wrote: »
    Was WoW your first MMO?

Yes...

Kinda.

Does Guild Wars count?

The first couple levels are boring, but give greenskins a shot. Greenskins have, by far some of the best quests and quest text in game. Try a choppa or a squig herder. Everyone loves squig herders.

Lies. Such lies. Order hates Squig Herders. I don't know if I look like a Shaman or something, but if I'm in a scenario or ORvR, I have 1/4 of their zerg just rushing at my face. I can't punt that many people! It's really a bizarre phenomenon. My theory is I look the least big and scary, so they hit me the hardest since I look squishy.

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Part of it's that you look like a Shaman from far away and part of it Squig Herder is actually order-speak for free renown.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Part of it's that you look like a Shaman from far away and part of it Squig Herder is actually order-speak for free renown.

I don't know. Squig herders put out some rather serious damage on healers. I fear them alot more than say, Magi.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Squig Herders are probably Destro's most OP'd match up, mirror class wise. They're better than SWs, because they have the pet and also because they don't have to switch stances to use every ability. Granted they're not going to be as effective using quick shootin' skills, but they can still use all of them, unlike SWs.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

This post is both evil and heartening.

How did you do that. Is that even possible.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Personally I think the "bug fix" patch will likely be the last patch for awhile that is capable of everyone liking. You cannot solve this games problems by giving DPS/tanks more damage. Then mitigation, which is already suffering would be worth even less. Plus if they change it from the current where a healer can tank 3-4 melee classes for a good long while without dying they are going to complain. Somehow they need to balance healing, damage (both melee and ranged), and mitigation in such a way that everyone is happy.

Personally my big worry ATM is they keep as they are going, and completely bork mitigation into uselessness. Softcapped toughness, softcapped resistances, still taken 1200 crits from BW. Part of my wonders how MDPS could live long enough to do their jobs.

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Part of me wonders how MDPS could live long enough to do their jobs.

There's a good reason you see so few witch elves/hunters. Their job is so situational and they simply cannot survive in any real melee. Marauders and Choppas, well, they are squishy, but are healable.

Of course, on the other hand, if you run into one alone, or a gank group, witch elves will tear you a new one.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So is a 2H Swordmaster a viable way to play yet? They always looked like one of the more interesting tank spec's/classes to me, considering that every other tank pretty much advertises itself as a defensive sword and board class.

When I last played, they were incredibly underpowered compared to other tanks. Apparently that giant greatsword just doesn't do much damage.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    They've been viable since 1.2. Actually, since before 1.2 but that's another discussion.

You're still not going to do ridiculous damage because like it or not you're a tank. However tanking with a 2H is rather viable if you understand when to use/when not to use Wall of Darting Steel, stack some +parry gear and balance your stats in a non retarded manner.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Just remember, you are a tank. Ive can get up to 800 str, 200 melee on my black orc, and even slotting all damage tactics and becoming a squishie you will have a hell of a time solo killing healers. As in unless you have a buddie it is not likely to happen.

Black orcs (as our mirror i would guess SM are similar) gain a knockdown and some decent damage going 2 hander. However unless you dramatically outgear a healer you are unlikely to kill them, and MDPS will rip you down even faster than they currently do.

Not sure what SM gain, I know if i am in a premade i tend toward 2h because the extra cc is nice and i can trust my healers to keep me up.

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Basically as a tank you're hitting healers not to kill them, but so they're busy healing themselves and not everyone else.

Malkor on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Basically as a tank you're hitting healers not to kill them, but so they're busy healing themselves and not everyone else.

Pretty much, you want to be snaring, and knocking them back either further away from their own lines, or more towards your own.

Black Orcs used to be really solid at this with their self heal and high survivability. Both of which have since been nerfed with stacking issues and soft cap issues.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Personally I think the "bug fix" patch will likely be the last patch for awhile that is capable of everyone liking. You cannot solve this games problems by giving DPS/tanks more damage. Then mitigation, which is already suffering would be worth even less. Plus if they change it from the current where a healer can tank 3-4 melee classes for a good long while without dying they are going to complain. Somehow they need to balance healing, damage (both melee and ranged), and mitigation in such a way that everyone is happy.

Personally my big worry ATM is they keep as they are going, and completely bork mitigation into uselessness. Softcapped toughness, softcapped resistances, still taken 1200 crits from BW. Part of my wonders how MDPS could live long enough to do their jobs.

You would agree that the last patch substantially increased the time-to-kill in T4, right?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

You would agree that the last patch substantially increased the time-to-kill in T4, right?

I would agree, in regards to being cooked by rogue aoe spells

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Still waiting on stuff for MDPS to do when on defense in keep sieges. Mostly I just sit around with my thumb up my ass hoping that the attackers fuck up in some way so I can charge out there without instantly dying.

It just feels like tje winner of a siege rests on who brought more range to the party, or once they get to the Lord, whether the Defenders brought enough tanks to wall up.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dac wrote: »
    Still waiting on stuff for MDPS to do when on defense in keep sieges. Mostly I just sit around with my thumb up my ass hoping that the attackers fuck up in some way so I can charge out there without instantly dying.

It just feels like tje winner of a siege rests on who brought more range to the party, or once they get to the Lord, whether the Defenders brought enough tanks to wall up.

You will be happy.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg