As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So You Think You Can Dance - And the winner is...

Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C ERegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Alright, the Top 20 have been chosen and the real season has begun.

What is So You Think You Can Dance? Well, it's like American Idol, except with dancing and totally hot people, and without the singing and (most of) the bullshit.

So, here we can talk about which contestants we like and dislike, which choreographers are awesome and which are pompous and/or caught up in how artsy they are (*coughMiacough*), and whether it's possible to get more british than Nigel (seriously, have you looked at him?) or more annoying than Mary's laugh.

My favorite dances from the two previous seasons:

Jamie and Hok - Flower and Hummingbird

Chelsea and Mark - Bleeding Love

Both are available in High Quality, so watch it in that if you can.

Also, Mia Michaels is a horrid horrid bitch. Which, incidentally, was the last tagline I used in the SYTYCD thread last year.

Aaaand, go!

vRyue2p.png
Hi I'm Vee! on

• MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    she is horrid on many levels

I do fucking love her hair though, it's like the best possible style for her face and body

Medopine on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    She's definitely got style. And she redeems herself through her choreography about 75% of the time.

That other 25% is pretty bad though. I still remember that terrible dance from two years ago that was dedicated to her father with all the flowers on the floor and whatnot.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited June 2009
    I hated that dance, almost as much as I hated Laci

and now I hate you for making me think of Laci

Medopine on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's Lacey.

And I still don't understand why you hated her. I thought she was pretty good.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription for it is more

CHBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEB.

Well. Glad that's out of my system.

I haven't gone back to listen to that full Mia-bomb yet, but...really. Relax.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
    edited June 2009
    oh she was good, but I didn't like her personality at all

Medopine on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mia is fucking amazing, how dare any of you question her wisdom!

But yeah, she went off on that one guy. Undeserved I think, but I can see how he could rub someone the wrong way if you thought his whole act was a bunch of BS.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think Lil' C is the best choreographer, partly because he wore a Metroid shirt last season and partly because his routines are almost always entertaining to watch.

Ganluan on
  • SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, I fucking loved that dance to Bleeding Love. I love that song just because I visualize that dance when I hear it now.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    Man, I fucking loved that dance to Bleeding Love. I love that song just because I visualize that dance when I hear it now.

I agree, that dance was amazing. I wanted to not like this show so I could make fun of my friend for watching it. Now I'm hooked on it though.

RedDawn on
    edited June 2009
    RedDawn wrote: »

I agree, that dance was amazing. I wanted to not like this show so I could make fun of my friend for watching it. Now I'm hooked on it though.

Ha. Yeah. My fiance was hooked on it, and I watched a couple episodes with her, and I didn't really dislike it, but that dance among a couple others really locked me in as a fan.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    I am excited to see what horrible stuff they put Cat in this year

seriously, just terrible styling for her on a regular basis, it's hilarious

Medopine on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Mia is fucking amazing, how dare any of you question her wisdom!

But yeah, she went off on that one guy. Undeserved I think, but I can see how he could rub someone the wrong way if you thought his whole act was a bunch of BS.

Lil C and Mia might have been trying to put up an argument for not being impressed, but that guy is fucking phenomenal. And honestly, odds are, he has been told for most of his life just how fuck awesome he was. It would be impossible to not let some of that go to your head, but he still dance with a lot of passion. So I can see where they were coming from, but fuck 'em.

I miss Pasha and I'm glad to see that classic Broadway guy come back (and with his brother no less) and actually make it all the way through. I was so happy to see him last season it sucked to not see him get through.

I feel like there were less Vegas and Audition episodes this year.

Oh, and Nigel's hair is finally acceptable.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is Mia that horrid judge with the terrifying rictus for a smile that could make Giada De'Laurentis run screaming for the hills?

Also, the best dancing I remember seeing is that duo doing "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics, i think the girl was Sabra? She ended up winning.

KalTorak on
    edited June 2009
    Cebra (?) won and then has, apparently, done fucking nothing.
    And this is Mia
    300_146240.jpg
    I too did not connect with the dance she did for her father. My ex and I figured we just don't get contemporary.

I got into this show when my ex was pregnant. We had gotten to the "lets pick a name" phase of baby planning, and because we watched a lot of TV we would try nearly every name we came up with and see how well it fit.
    We wound up agreeing on a name from one of the dancers two seasons ago.
    68246691f58b8414.jpg
    I hate the spelling, but I can't win every argument.

This is one of my favorite Mia routines
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okwPGYGAUSQ
    Last season, Twitch and Kerington.

Oh, and here is the best thing Pasha did outside of his hip hop routines.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwo5MgxIN0g
    No clue why he did such an awesome solo during a non-judged time...

So You Think You Can Dance (dance dance)>Superstars of Dance

Improvolone on
    edited June 2009
    Cebra (?) won and then has, apparently, done fucking nothing.
    And this is Mia
    300_146240.jpg
    I too did not connect with the dance she did for her father. My ex and I figured we just don't get contemporary.

nah, that dance was a personal indulgence and I didn't like it much either

some of her group dances are great, and the one that katee and joshua did last year was great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6evj8Sa_eEk

Medopine on
  • RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm hoping Ryan auditions and gets through next season (which will be in the fall this year, they're currently doing auditions for it now). I was hoping they would let both of the brothers in this time around.

Rubick on
    edited June 2009
    They both are very very similar though. Ryan might have more tap, but I don't think a tapper has gotten into the top 20 yet.
    If that Chinese guy contracted to the Miami Ballet could have gotten through, who wouldn't have made it? My first guess would be the popper, but they really try to include at least a couple of street dancers.

Improvolone on
  • TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Jamie and Hok dance was amazing. But I hate these type of competition tv shows. Are the just the dances up on Youtube or another site?

Taterskin on
    edited June 2009
    Why do you hate competition shows?

And yes. All of the videos from above are you youtube.

Improvolone on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Taterskin wrote: »
    The Jamie and Hok dance was amazing. But I hate these type of competition tv shows. Are the just the dances up on Youtube or another site?

So You Think You Can Dance is the only competitive reality show that I watch, excepting those few times when I've had crushes on America's Next Top Model contestants.

I wouldn't watch the dances without the rest of the show, personally. The interviews and rehearsal footage help you appreciate the dancers and the work they put into their performances more than you otherwise would, and the judges will always point out nuances to the dance that the average viewer could never be expected to pick up on their own.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009
    If they just removed a certain high-pitched annoying as fuck judge, I'd be much happier with the show. Its kind of sad when you're hoping the dances aren't too good, because then you have to hear her.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    I am excited to see what horrible stuff they put Cat in this year

seriously, just terrible styling for her on a regular basis, it's hilarious

Oh Cat, so much entertainment to be had.

LaOs on
    edited June 2009
    If they just removed a certain high-pitched annoying as fuck judge, I'd be much happier with the show. Its kind of sad when you're hoping the dances aren't too good, because then you have to hear her.

She's better than two of the three judges on Dancing With the Stars.

Improvolone on
    edited June 2009
    In general, I think the judges are a lot more insightful and fairminded than the judges of American Idol. With Idol, you hear a lot of the same criticisms repeated over and over, either because the contestants never really grow over the course of the show or because the judges have nothing else to say, whereas the fact that SYTYCD contestants are actually receiving professional instruction means you'll actually be able to witness and comment on their growth as performers. Every dancer has their own interesting narrative, so there's no need to invent one.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

So You Think You Can Dance is the only competitive reality show that I watch, excepting those few times when I've had crushes on America's Next Top Model contestants.

I wouldn't watch the dances without the rest of the show, personally. The interviews and rehearsal footage help you appreciate the dancers and the work they put into their performances more than you otherwise would, and the judges will always point out nuances to the dance that the average viewer could never be expected to pick up on their own.

I'm exactly opposite. All I'm interested in is the dance ... interjecting the dancers personal life into the presentation diminishes the performance itself (in my mind).

Which is probably why I don't enjoy competition shows. From my experience, those shows include alot of extraneous stuff to add drama to the show. Also, I really like dancing and couldn't give a flip about modeling or who gets voted off an island.

Taterskin on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I went to sleep during the commercial - did either of those brothers get through?

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, the younger one did. I wish they'd gone with the older one, but I suppose they thought the younger one would be the bigger draw.

Robos A Go Go on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks. Well at least one of them made it. I liked those guys.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, the younger one did. I wish they'd gone with the older one, but I suppose they thought the younger one would be the bigger draw.

They pretty much say they cast people that would draw votes (their x factor, personality, whatever), and as I'm sure editing has a big to do with it, the younger brother seemed like a better over all dancer.
    Again, like they said, it was probably mostly due to his older brothers coreography. He better come back next year.

Improvolone on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

They pretty much say they cast people that would draw votes (their x factor, personality, whatever), and as I'm sure editing has a big to do with it, the younger brother seemed like a better over all dancer.
    Again, like they said, it was probably mostly due to his older brothers coreography. He better come back next year.

See, the older brother showed a lot of range still, and brought tapping to the table. He was at least his brother's equal, plus he was the choreographer between the two. I dunno, it's a poor choice in my opinion. I hope he has the stamina for next season's auditions. Can you imagine going through all that again, so soon after not making it to the Top 20?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited June 2009
    The auditions we just saw were a few months ago, and if he can't go through Vegas twice then he probably can't do the show itself either.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009

See, the older brother showed a lot of range still, and brought tapping to the table. He was at least his brother's equal, plus he was the choreographer between the two. I dunno, it's a poor choice in my opinion. I hope he has the stamina for next season's auditions. Can you imagine going through all that again, so soon after not making it to the Top 20?

Didn't Kady's room mate, who was the 11th girl last season, back in Vegas?

Improvolone on
  • Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    this is the only show of it's type that i can stomach. It largely eschews all the silly bullshit that these shows usually delve into with the cameras in the living quarters and what not. I just don't give a fuck that contestant C used contestant G's lip gloss, or that contestant M might be racist. Show me a bit of the people practicing, so we can see a bit of their personality ok... now show me them dancing, aaand cut to commercial rinse repeat. It helps that there are some genuinely talented people on this show.

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
    edited June 2009

Didn't Kady's room mate, who was the 11th girl last season, back in Vegas?

So did Hok.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009
    But he had visa issues. So if were talking about stamina (a question for which a professional dancer shouldn't be that concerned with) it applies, but the emotional hit for not being "good" enough is something Hok didn't really deal with. Same with that Chinese guy.
    Man, these asian dancers and their legal issues. Theres a new stereotype.

Regardless, several people go through Vegas, don't make it into the top 20, and come back. This show is the best (and sometimes only) shot most dancers have at a professional career.

Improvolone on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The auditions we just saw were a few months ago, and if he can't go through Vegas twice then he probably can't do the show itself either.

I thought they were more recent than that. I would think it would be difficult to afford to take the time off to go through the whole audition process again, and he's probably still dealing with the disappointment of not making it. A lot of them seemed totally crushed. I'm sure he's capable of making it, but making it so soon after, all things considered, can't be easy for the guy.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Oh, and that asian guy who didn't make it to the top 16 (forget his name, but he was the I RUV REGAS one) mentioned something about taking classes in every style he could since he got the ticket to Vegas five months ago. That should give us a good time frame.

Improvolone on
    edited June 2009
    That guy (Shabuya?) was awesome.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009
    I am fairly certain that during the auditions shows Ryan said he was too old to come back and try out again next year

Medopine on