As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Zelda Thread] E3 cometh.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man

now I wish I had a version of LttP other than the GBA one. I wanna play it on a big screen.

Gamecube + Gameboy player!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited June 2010
    Man

now I wish I had a version of LttP other than the GBA one. I wanna play it on a big screen.

It's been available on the Virtual Console for years now.

Opium on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man

Or just virtual console.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    In other news, the best 2D Zelda is Minish Cap.
    Only one to successfully translate the charm of WW into 2D, and the only game since LttP to actually have some new, interesting items rather than the same thing over and over again.

I know I'm in the 0.00001% (or whatever ridiculously small % you want) minority, but while the top-down Zelda games were good, I think Zelda2 was better and more interesting. You had great control of Link, the boosting of skills was an interesting concept, I really enjoyed the magic system and gaining those new abilities. The combat I thought was better, combat in the top-down ones feels clumsy since you can only move (x,y) whereas Zelda2 simplifies it for the better I think. I also enjoyed the overworld although avoiding battle can be very irritating as well as having finite lives. I also enjoyed the random secrets you would stumble upon, really made you want to search every corner of the game.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Man

Or just virtual console.

But then you'd miss out on the trading quest! And, um, Link going HWUH HAH HEY! every time you swing the sword!

Yeah. VC is the way to go.

Man 4 Swords was awesome though.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cartoonish joke? I had to force myself to go in the bottom of the well. Whenever a redead appeared I almost shat my pants and reached my ocarina as fast as I could to play the sun song. That scream while being paralyzed for a second or two did it.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In other news, the best 2D Zelda is Minish Cap.
    Only one to successfully translate the charm of WW into 2D, and the only game since LttP to actually have some new, interesting items rather than the same thing over and over again.

Seconding this. It's got neat gadgets, a ton of secrets, that little gallery thing that I gladly obsessed over in Wind Waker as well, nice areas and very impressive bosses. The shrink mechanic was especially well done- so well done, in fact, that I got a MM vibe from Hyrule Town, just because there seemed to be so incredibly much to find.
    Biggest complaint, though: the "randomized" side quests. Once you fused luck fragements, absolutely anything could happen, often without any connection at all. Felt a bit cheap.

But seriously, from ALttP on (and excluding any cd i-ones), I don't think there's been a mediocre 2D-Zelda. I'm excluding Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, just so you know. I think that's because I'm generally much more forgiving in terms of exploration, atmosphere, NPCs and so on when it's "just" a handheld console. Even better, I'm not automatically compelled to rank them because none of them rub their slavish devotion to their predecessors in my face.

Also, Jabu Jabu's Belly is the best 2D dungeon ever. You know what's great? Changing water levels. You know what's better?
    Changing water levels you can't even see! :P

Wingo on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    Cartoonish joke? I had to force myself to go in the bottom of the well. Whenever a redead appeared I almost shat my pants and reached my ocarina as fast as I could to play the sun song. That scream while being paralyzed for a second or two did it.

I almost threw up the first time I was in Jabu Jabu's Belly and the wall jiggled when I slashed it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Before Wind Waker, those fuckers use to scare me. In Wind Waker they're still intimidating but when it comes to OoT I could really give a damn anymore. It mostly has to do with how the game more or less pauses and Link doesn't react or even look their way or anything. In WW though he's actually spooked by them and it's awesome. Plus, they jump on his back and bite his head! D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This just in, the Redead are actually just the dead version of the Amazon from Pro Wrestling! D:

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    man even the "bad" Zeldas are still a pretty fun time

I enjoyed TP greatly but still felt like it was a flawed and unambitious game.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    the redead always freaked me out

like what did their skin feel like?

was it wood..

no

is that.. skin?

did I know these people?

D:

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I played LttP at the beginning of this century and while I think it's incredibly well-designed and tough to boot, there are a few kinks that has been refined since then, which isn't surprising since it came out in 1991!

Going to the other world, then realize you can't spawn in that particular spot, which forces you to go back, was a slight nuisance. Also, not being able to kick Ganon's butt without obtaining a specific item was all kinds of annoying.

I thought the game was broken at one point.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited June 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    man even the "bad" Zeldas are still a pretty fun time

Spirit Tracks is pure torture for the on-rails half of the game, and while fun the other half really doesn't make up for it.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    LttP and the original LoZ required you to have the Silver Arrows to beat Ganon.

Nothing wrong with that. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    LttP is so not not "tough to boot," but that may be my being-very-good-at-the-game-because-I-played-it-too-much talking.

I tried playing Link's Awakening this past winter, and holy crap that game is so fucking annoying. It's still good, but the swapping of items around was really cumbersome and you have to do it often.

Henroid on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you think that's bad, what about the trade quest that HAS TO BE COMPLETED in order to find the boss in Link's Awakening.

Edit: Talking to Chen.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Actually I take a bit of beef with that item trade quest in LA myself. <_<

Henroid on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i liked the style of WW but the game side was boringly mediocre, TP was the same (and PH, not played ST because of that)

shigsy really needs to come back and take full control of a game and bring back the joys of Lttp, LA and OOT (with MM thrown in too).

Ummm... weren't those directed by Tezuka, and Aonuma respectively? Miyamoto hasn't really been more than an Executive Producer since the original.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My only problem with WW and TP was that the enemies did absolutely no damage making the games a little too easy when compared to OoT or MM.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I found TP waaaay more fun when I burned the wooden shield as soon as I could and never equiped the other one.

I've always found the limitless blocking of the Zelda games boring.

Oh, and always having the water suit on despite magic using enemies. The game is actually challenging.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Narian wrote: »
    My only problem with WW and TP was that the enemies did absolutely no damage making the games a little too easy when compared to OoT or MM.

complaints about difficulty seem silly because every single zelda game after maybe the first 2 have been piss-easy

at least in terms of the combat

maybe one has a bullshit minigame that's a little more annoying than another, but none of those games are challenging in terms of the fights

Rust on
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As a guy that hasn't played a Zelda game since Link to the Past (worshiped it as a boy) and whatever the game boy game was that turned out to be a dream (and pissed me off) I feel the burning desire to contribute almost-uselessly to this thread.

I think the girl in the OP's image *is* the sword. Think Bleach meets Zelda.

Look at her, her cloak is wavy like a katana and she is metallic in color.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That has been the generally accepted theory since the image was released.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm pretty sure at this point it's only the flat-earthers who think she isn't in some way linked to the sword.

I'm also fairly certain you should play a few more Zeldas. There have been some corkers!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DHS wrote: »
    i liked the style of WW but the game side was boringly mediocre, TP was the same (and PH, not played ST because of that)

shigsy really needs to come back and take full control of a game and bring back the joys of Lttp, LA and OOT (with MM thrown in too).

Ummm... weren't those directed by Tezuka, and Aonuma respectively? Miyamoto hasn't really been more than an Executive Producer since the original.

not what ive heard, last game shigsy had creative control of was OoT, although someone else more in the know might.. know.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yay! While I am not original I appear to be something better: correct!

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think, after playing handful of Zeldas, that I only really like OoT. I've also played LttP, LA, WW, PH and a few hours of MM, but none of them had the same effect that OoT did.

But I think part of that is not due entirely to OoT. The game happened to hit at the right time of my life. It wasn't an emotional thing, it was just the perfect mix of free time and giant game.

Renzo on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Your avatar makes this come out a lot funnier than it actually is.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sipex wrote: »

Your avatar makes this come out a lot funnier than it actually is.

Zoidberg has that affect on everything.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    hooray-zoidberg.jpg

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I remember seeing my first redead in a basement of a house. Going out from a sunny pleasant island into a dark basement and seeing a treasure chest.

"Oh cool! ...Hey that things getting up, is that a redead? I guess ill just walk up annnND OH FUCK GET IT AWAY FROM ME RUNRUNRUN"

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    As a guy that hasn't played a Zelda game since Link to the Past (worshiped it as a boy) and whatever the game boy game was that turned out to be a dream (and pissed me off) I feel the burning desire to contribute almost-uselessly to this thread.

Don't worry, the later ones don't really stack up if you grew up with the originals. A lot has changed. It's one of those gaps where everything changed in the N64/PS1 era. If you really liked the old ones, it's often better not to dabble in some of the newer stuff.

nstf on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i missed getting the sun song, so i used to make my older brother go through the town full of redead for me

i also hated jabu jabu's belly, freaked me out too much

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    nstf wrote: »

Don't worry, the later ones don't really stack up if you grew up with the originals. A lot has changed. It's one of those gaps where everything changed in the N64/PS1 era. If you really liked the old ones, it's often better not to dabble in some of the newer stuff.

That is if you hate fun and don't have an open mind.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Fun damages small animals and makes me grow fur on my palms.

No really tho, I tried the one for Wii (Twilight Princess?) but the 3d-ness of it killed the puzzle fun for me. It went from awesome dungeon crawling to WoW without the other players.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Don't worry, I'm sure we will get "New Legend of Zelda Wii" at some point... oh wait...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

No really tho, I tried the one for Wii (Twilight Princess?) but the 3d-ness of it killed the puzzle fun for me. It went from awesome dungeon crawling to WoW without the other players.

Dungeon Crawling? Eh?

OoT is basically LttP in 3D. Maybe some more sidequests and cut scenes, but it's the same formula.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Dungeon Crawling? Eh?

OoT is basically LttP in 3D. Maybe some more sidequests and cut scenes, but it's the same formula.

I will check it out. Is it wii friendly or will I need another console?

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I will check it out. Is it wii friendly or will I need another console?

You can either get it from Virtual Console ($10), or probably easily find a copy of the Gamecube port (which will play on a Wii) at a used game place. The Gamecube version was the "Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition" - it was packaged with all new Gamecubes for a long time so it should be easy to find used I'd think - plus you get Majora's Mask and Zelda 1 & 2 with it :) (as well as a Wind Waker demo)

There is also a version that was the Wind Waker pre-order bonus which includes the somewhat lame Master Quest (basically it's Ocarina of Time with remixed dungeons, most of which are kind of dumb), but that one's going to be rarer and probably more expensive, and does *not* include Zelda 1, 2, and Majora's Mask....

The Virtual Console version is probably better emulated (and could be played with the Classic Controller, rather than requiring a GameCube controller - though you get no rumble), but the GameCube version has the other games and will probably be cheaper in the long run (esp. if you don't need to buy a GC controller).

Edit: A reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocarina_of_Time#Re-releases

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
This discussion has been closed.